Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
When your trope is that Orcs are always evil and never get along with humans, there's only so many ways you can justify the existence of half-Orcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That's one of the things I love about Eberron. Orcs are considered "just another race", and in areas where orcs and humans co-mingle, half-orcs are considered a blessing because they have the best elements of both races.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fsmhunk posted:

Where the hell did the 'orcs do lots of rape' thing come from anyway?

gradenko_2000 posted:

When your trope is that Orcs are always evil and never get along with humans, there's only so many ways you can justify the existence of half-Orcs.

Isn't this explicitly spelled out in some D&D sourcebook? I could swear I read that, but that may just be my memory being crappy (I haven't played D&D in almost 20 years).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's one of the things I love about Eberron. Orcs are considered "just another race", and in areas where orcs and humans co-mingle, half-orcs are considered a blessing because they have the best elements of both races.
Yeah, I like this about the Iron Kingdoms too. Goblins just seem to be accepted in society, as are (some) trolls. I don't think IK quite has orcs, but the ogrun hanging out with the dwarves are also fully integrated, socially.

I also think Iron Kingdoms, for better or worse, just has them all be different species, avoiding the tragic-mulatto drama entirely. Maybe. I forget.

CommissarMega posted:

Isn't this explicitly spelled out in some D&D sourcebook? I could swear I read that, but that may just be my memory being crappy (I haven't played D&D in almost 20 years).
I think it's strongly suggested sometimes but one book I remember that in also said, "and the mother was not necessarily human, either." So at least there was equal opportunity grimness.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nessus posted:

Yeah, I like this about the Iron Kingdoms too. Goblins just seem to be accepted in society, as are (some) trolls. I don't think IK quite has orcs, but the ogrun hanging out with the dwarves are also fully integrated, socially.

I also think Iron Kingdoms, for better or worse, just has them all be different species, avoiding the tragic-mulatto drama entirely. Maybe. I forget.
I think it's strongly suggested sometimes but one book I remember that in also said, "and the mother was not necessarily human, either." So at least there was equal opportunity grimness.

Iron Kingdoms doesn't do halvesies. Ogrun and Dwarves have a longstanding racial partnership based on capability (ogrun are strong, dwarves can use magic), and Gobbers are also entirely their own thing. There aren't even any half-elves, playable or otherwise.

Also whether the races are integrated or not depends a lot on location in the world. Menoth is insanely human-centric, and a lot of the non-humans are strictly xenophobic about it. If you want to play an egalitarian IK game without worrying too much about racism, you need to set it somewhere that doesn't have a faction in the tabletop game, like Llael or Ord.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
AD&D 1e PHB:
Orcs are fecund and create many cross-breeds, most of the offspring of such being typically orcish. However, some one-tenth of orc-human mongrels ore sufficiently non-orcish to pass for human.

(it's notable that Half-orcs were not in the AD&D 2e PHB)

AD&D 2e The Complete Book of Humanoids
Half-Orcs: Half-orcs result from orc unions with virtually any humanoid or demihuman race except elves. These mixed breeds tend to favor their orcish parent, though a small number can pass for ugly humans. PC half orcs are assumed to be crossbreeds within the upper 10% of the mongrel orc-humans that can pass for human.

AD&D 2e Player's Option: Skills and Powers
Another example of a hybrid, half-orcs are products of human and orc parents. Of a height similar to half-elves, half-orcs usually resemble their human parent enough to pass for a human in public.

D&D 3.5 PHB
In the wild frontiers, tribes of human and orc barbarians live in uneasy balance, fighting in times of war and trading in times of peace. Half-orcs who are born in the frontier may live with either human or orc parents, but they are nevertheless exposed to both cultures.

D&D 4th Ed. PHB 2
An obscure legend claims that when Corellon put out Gruumsh’s eye in a primeval battle, part of the savage god’s essence fell to earth, where it transformed a race of humans into fierce half-orcs. Another story suggests that an ancient hobgoblin empire created half-orcs to lead orc tribes on the empire’s behalf. Yet another legend claims that a tribe of brutal human barbarians chose to breed with orcs to strengthen their bloodline. Some say that Kord created half-orcs, copying the best elements from the human and orc races to make a strong and fierce people after his own heart. If you ask a half-orc about his origin, you might hear one of these stories. You might also get a punch in the face for asking such a rude question.

D&D 5th Edition PHB
Whether united under the leadership of a mighty warlock or having fought to a standstill after years of conflict, orc and human tribes sometimes form alliances, joining forces into a larger horde to the terror of civilized lands nearby. When these alliances are sealed by marriages, half-orcs are born.

===

It appears I was mistaken - D&D never actually went into any specifics as to where Half-orcs come from, except when it implies conception would be either asexual or entirely consensual.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

gradenko_2000 posted:

===

It appears I was mistaken - D&D never actually went into any specifics as to where Half-orcs come from, except when it implies conception would be either asexual or entirely consensual.

Pathfinder SRD
As seen by civilized races, half-orcs are monstrosities, the result of perversion and violence—whether or not this is actually true. Half-orcs are rarely the result of loving unions, and as such are usually forced to grow up hard and fast, constantly fighting for protection or to make names for themselves. Half-orcs as a whole resent this treatment, and rather than play the part of the victim, they tend to lash out, unknowingly confirming the biases of those around them.

Pathfinder's pretty clear on implying it, though.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Fsmhunk posted:

Where the hell did the 'orcs do lots of rape' thing come from anyway? At least Warhammer is free of such taint.

I blame Dominic Deegan.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Night10194 posted:

Pathfinder SRD
As seen by civilized races, half-orcs are monstrosities, the result of perversion and violence—whether or not this is actually true. Half-orcs are rarely the result of loving unions, and as such are usually forced to grow up hard and fast, constantly fighting for protection or to make names for themselves. Half-orcs as a whole resent this treatment, and rather than play the part of the victim, they tend to lash out, unknowingly confirming the biases of those around them.

Yea hilariously Pathfinder is the only D&D version to actually take the 'orcs rape to make half-orcs' path, the rest were actually fairly good about 'nah we're not gonna go that route because that's dumb'.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cythereal posted:

Where does that even come from? I have a cat and love the doofus, but he's a high-functioning moron of an animal who spends most of his time contorted into non-Euclidean shapes to fit himself into the shoebox he likes to sleep in. Sexy, magical, or charismatic, he is not.

Bastet, Isis, and Freyja were all goddesses of sexuality in one way or another and all of them were associated with cats. Past that it's probably a matter of cultural transference.

It goes without saying, though, that the Bastet chapter was one of the ones that Brucato wrote on his own, The Land Titans chapter is another one. I haven't read ahead but I'm not sure if he's going to figure out a way to bring sexy elephant men into it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea hilariously Pathfinder is the only D&D version to actually take the 'orcs rape to make half-orcs' path, the rest were actually fairly good about 'nah we're not gonna go that route because that's dumb'.

Yeah, Pathfinder is practically fixated on that poo poo compared to D&D, and included a monster race that can only reproduce through rape in the core material.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, Pathfinder is practically fixated on that poo poo compared to D&D, and included a monster race that can only reproduce through rape in the core material.

...Which?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kurieg posted:

...Which?

Pathfinder Bestiary posted:

Skum do not age, and barring death by violence or disease, they can live forever. Unfortunately, this near immortality is crippled by the fact that skum are incapable of reproducing among themselves, for all skum are male. The aboleths did not want their slave race to prosper without their permission. Yet terribly, this does not mean that skum cannot breed. Originally created from human stock, skum can impregnate humans, and the children issued from such unholy unions are invariably deformed. Those who are not born skum undergo gradual transformations throughout their lives, and when they would normally die of old age, such hybrids instead go through “the change,” shedding their wrinkled flesh and transforming into one of the ulat-kini. While most skum tribes lack the drive to perpetuate their race and would prefer to languish in their hideous sunken ruins, tribes settling offshore of remotely populated coastlines seem to be on the rise. Some such communities raid villages for breeding stock, but a few more insidious tribes form alliances with these desperate folk, providing protection and bounty from the sea in return for wives.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Knock-off Deep Ones.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!

Pathfinder read 'Skum' and thought 'Deep Ones!', since that's basically a copy paste of how Deep Ones breed.

Edit: Beaten like a Deep One summoning gong.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wasn't the idea with Skum in 3.5 that they were the descendants of humans turned into fishmen by Aboleths, bred to be stupid and mindlessly loyal by the above?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kurieg posted:

I haven't read ahead but I'm not sure if he's going to figure out a way to bring sexy elephant men into it.

What does your heart tell you?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Wasn't the idea with Skum in 3.5 that they were the descendants of humans turned into fishmen by Aboleths, bred to be stupid and mindlessly loyal by the above?

Yes.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

So what started out as "Humans lost their way, and Mother Nature created the Ferals to punish them for using iPhones and poo poo" turned into "Ancient supernatural bloodlines with mythical origins"? And why are a bunch of individualists so keen on being referred to by a universal species name?

Cythereal posted:

"Also, you're a furry and just don't know it yet because here's a bunch of supersexy cat people."

Where does that even come from? I have a cat and love the doofus, but he's a high-functioning moron of an animal who spends most of his time contorted into non-Euclidean shapes to fit himself into the shoebox he likes to sleep in. Sexy, magical, or charismatic, he is not.

That's because television and the internet clouded your ability to percieve nature in its full, majestic glory.

(If I ever end up in a Changing Breeds campaign, I'm totally going to play a fat, lazy catkin.)

Xelkelvos posted:

Sensitivity

A war zone, a call center or possibly a bondage dungeon would probably trigger a boatload of Sensitivity rolls for a Princess. Yelling a slur to a particularly vulnerable person might cause a Princess to be literally Triggered and have them be literally shaking. :v:

Now I imagine Sally the Witch getting insulted into unconsciousness by a drill sergeant before ending up in 'Nam. War never changes, even if you're wearing a cute dress.

And bondage is consensual, so it's fine.

Night10194 posted:

Pathfinder SRD

That's nothing. You really don't want to get captured by ogres (which in Pathfinder equals "giant inbred hillbillies"), unless you want death by snu snu.

Stars Without Number

Mouth hygiene in the far future is pretty hardcore.

Welcome to Stars Without Number, Kevin Crawford's first published sandbox game (way back in the dark age of 2010) that would set the template for his future books. This one right here deals with Traveller-esque adventures in the far future, fully compatible with other OSR products and offering various tools and goodies for the GM to quickly whip out new worlds and their quirks as the PCs keep exploring the galaxy.

I'll be covering the paid core version (with the slightly confusing cover on the right), though the only difference between that one and the free version (left cover) is the addition of mech and robot rules as well as guidelines for society creation.

quote:

The year is 3200. Humanity is scattered like
dust among the stars. The broken relics of a
former day litter the sky and men and women
struggle to rebuild the glory of humanity’s lost
golden age.

SWN is set almost 600 years after humanity's glorious golden age had come to an aprubt halt that left countless colonies isolated from each other for centuries. PCs take the role of adventurers travelling through a galaxy where worlds can have wildly different technology levels and even the best spike drive (SWN's name for a FTL drive) isn't fast enough to make an empire spanning more than a few neighboring solar systems logistically feasible - which is fine for the PCs because that means a lower chance of repercussions from the enemies they are bound to make.

I'll cover the backstory in more detail in its own chapter. Right now, it's time for character creation rules:

Chapter One: Character Creation

This chapter starts of with some advice and warning regarding sandbox campaigns. There is no railroady story, players have to be careful because they can't rely on everything being scaled to their level, and GMs shouldn't get attached to NPCs or plot lines they have planned in advance because changes are the PCs might just hop into their spaceship and leave the star system for good if what they've been served isn't to their liking.

Character creation is standard oldschool affair with some tweaks and an interesting addition. First up is rolling the standard 6 attributes. With 3d6. In order.
Mind you, this isn't really all that bad in SWN. For one, attribute modifiers aren't really a huge thing as they only go to +/- 2 (though it might as well be +/- 1 because you only see a 2 at 18 or 3). You can also swap around points, lowering a high attribtue (which can not go below 13, the highest score without a modifier) to bost a low one (up to 8, the lowest score without a modifier). Every class also has 2 Prime Attributes, one of which you can just set to 14 (where you start getting a +1), ensuring that you'r always somewhat competent at what you're supposed to be doing.

The big departure from the typical OSR formula is the usage of skills. It's not a port of the d20 skill system (though the classes do have class skills), but 2d6 + skill level + appropriate attribute modifier vs. Target Number deal, with the skill level ranging from 0 (which is different from not having the skill) to 6 (reserved for 15+ level badasses). The skills themselves only partially overlap with the d20 ones. Sure, you've got your Athletics, Perception and Stealth, but you also have Bureaucracy and Combat (the latter being essentially Weapon Specialization). Some skills - like Combat - are composed of specialties, which have to be learned individually.

Starting skills are determined by picking a Background Package (a universal list of stuff your character did before becoming an adventurer) and a Training Package (a class-specific list to determine what kind of flavor of Expert, Warrior etc. you are). You starting skills begin at level 0, or 1 if the same skill is in both packages.
Skills requiring a specialty either have the specialty listed in the package or just say "Any", which allows you to pick the specialty. For full flexibility, both kinds of packages feature an Adventurer package, which has fewer total skills than the rest, but allows you freely choose almost all of them.

Now onto the classes. They're pretty standard OSR classes, with no hit dice beyond level 10 and several kinds of saving rolls (Physical Effect, Mental Effect, Evasion, Tech and Luck). As far as class abilities go, each class has only one of them, caled a special ability.

A slightly weird thing is how Attack Bonus (aka BAB) and the saves increase every couple levels in increments of 2 (with some saves only increasing by 1 each "tier" at high levels). I think you can make that a bit more granular.

Experts (Prime Attributes: INT or CHA)

"I hate Mondays."

The sill monkeys, be it a criminal/rogue, pilot or scientist. They're the average class in terms of combat prowess (with a medium attack bonus progression and d6 hit dice), but their real focus lies in skill use. They gain more skill points per level than the other classes, and every skill that is not about combat or psychic stuff is a class skill for them. Their special ability is Like A Charm, which allows them to reroll a failed skill check once per hour. Trust me, you want an Expert as your ship's pilot.
Additionally, they require less XP per level than the other two classes.

Psychics (Prime Attributes: WIS or CON)

"I am so old school!"

Psychic in SWN are the result of MES ("Metadimensional Extroversion Syndrome", aka "Flying through space by tearing the fabric of spacetime did some weird stuff to your ancestor's DNA."), allowing them to bend the laws of physics with enough training. Training Packages include Academy Graduate (nerrrrrd!), or Tribal Shaman for less advanced worlds (which does sound like a pretty rad character option for a scifi campaign).
Their special ability is Psychic Powers, which allows them to learn powers from various psychic disciplines.
As the caster class of the game, they of course have only d4 hit dice and the lowest Attack Bonus.

Warriors (Prime Attributes: STR or DEX)

"Taste my super soaker!"

The combat-centric class, with d8 hit dice and the best Attack Bonus and Save progression. They don't have to be brutes though. Training Packages do include the Assassin and Commando (both perfectly viable choices for a Riddick-type of character). Also, you can be a Space Marine (though that just means you've been trained for starship boarding actions).
Their special ability is Veteran's Luck. which allows them to ignore one successful attack against them per combat, which is quite handy, especially since you can wait until after the damage roll before using it. Unfortunately, the ability doesn't work on non-combat damage sources, and it doesn't apply to a vehicle the Warrior might be piloting.

All that's left now is coming up with a homeworld, rolling your HP, picking your languages (everyone starts with English, their native language if it isn't English, as well as additional languages equal to their INT modifier; more languages are available via the Languages skill) and starting equipment (bought with 400 + 1d6 x 100 credits).

Unintentionally funny pictures aside, the classes are pretty sweet. The writeups don't take up a lot of space, and their one special abilitiy gives them plenty of niche protection. Add in some skills, and you can avoid that problem where two OSR Fighters are almost exactly the same kind of dude.

Oh, and speaking of unintentionally funny pictures:

"Whaddya you lookin' at?!"

Next Time: Psionics - the power of the miiiiiind!

Doresh fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 25, 2015

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Red Tide

I leave you for some days and you're all about furry catgirl porn

Oh well. The next chapter deals with sorcery! Though there are many theories of magic and many different ways in which magic is felt and practiced by different cultures, most casters would agree that ultimately magic in this setting is a geomantic effect. The spellcaster's soul is a sort of lens, shaping and focusing raw energy from the natural world around them to produce a particular effect. In humans, dwarves and halflings, the soul is something deathless. Upon bodily passing, the soul is freed from the mortal coil, and those that are reconciled with their death or urged on by funerary rites move on into the afterlife, to be gathered into the paradise of their god. Those who were good and noble can hope to be saved by kind deities even if they never were pledged to them, while those who were wicked wander the gray afterlife always at risk of being snatched by the Hell Kings. Funerary rites protect souls from their grasp. Those who die without them are sometimes too afraid to move on, becoming hungry ghosts to plague this plane. Dwarves, as we already know, move on with their spirit-gold to the shadow delves of their forefathers. Elves reincarnate endlessly, and halflings move on to places unknown to men, where neither god nor Hell King may touch them. It is this immortal soul that allows humans to work magic; elves can share into this power too, but because their souls are fused with their bodies channeling magic is a painful affair from them - many veteran spellcasters bear black scars over their bodies. The greater reaches of magic are barred to them lest they literally burn themselves inside out. Dwarves and halflings seem to be unable to work magic, but perhaps they only work it in a different manner.

Of the many schools of magic, the High Path traditionally taught in the Empire is the most widespread, being easily organized and transmitted in spite of the chaos of the exile. High Path magic relies on carefully developed incantations, gestures and the occasional use of certain ingredients: this is the school practiced by a Magic-User. It is intellectually demanding and requires great strengthening of the soul, but it offers a wealth of clearly delineated spells. The Gadaal practice Astromancy, drawing power from heavenly conjunctions rather than geomantic forces. Astromancy has no rules, and if I rightly remember they can be found in the magic supplement for Red Tide which, unfortunately, I don't have. The Stitched Path is a way to easier power for those who lack the discipline to master the High Path, using scalpels and tweezers to ritually torture sacrifices and use parts of their souls to power their spells. Loathsome in civilized lands, it is widely practiced in Tien Lung, and it actually has rules (first mentioned way back in the Tien Lung description for some reason): A Stitched Path user can fill any spell slot with a spell one level higher than what it could otherwise hold, so a third level wizard could memorize Fireball as a second-level spell, and so on. These spells are cast according to the wizard's true level, though, for purposes of damage and other effects. To fuel these magic, a practitioner must sacrifice as many HD of victims as the highest spell they plan to cast on for the week, and in fact a Stitched Path follower that fails to sacrifice anyone for a week loses this benefit as well as one spell slot per level. Furthermore, because this practice warps the soul of the magic user, they can never advance beyond 9th level at all.

Gross, kind of like those Bloodborne monsters.

Clerical magic is, as usual, mostly a prayer that is actually answered by the priest's god. However, the cleric still has to focus to bring the god's favor to the world, which is why a swift blow can make them lose the god's favor to no effect. Elves channel magic in their own way, similar to High Path magic, which is why elves that have trouble recalling their previous life often need to search for the knowledge they have lost in human repositories of knowledge. They can't use Stitched Path magic, but some wicked elves have sought to surpass their limits becoming Wearers of the Mantle, cutting apart the souls of men and fashioning metaphysical cloaks out of them. There is also word of elven Apotheons burning away all mortality within them. No rules for any of these, though. In normal life, magic users and clerics are relatively rare, and most of the ones that exist can only cast the most basic of spells. Magic users tend to get kind of lousy rates; clerics are more popular, because even though the populace is largely lacking in piety they still want blessings for births and proper funerary rites. We get a table with sample prices for NPC spellcasting, and spells of the sixth level and greater will require an adventure to find someone that can actually produce them, to say nothing of the exorbitant cost.

New spells! The new cleric spells are explicitly not part of the cleric's regular repertoire, and need to be learnt from other clerics of the same faith or from certain rare prayer books. Abjuration of Light (level 3) deals is an AOE spell that deals 1d6 damage per two caster levels on undead and hellish creatures. Lamp of the Nine Immortals (level 2) summons a small lens that lets a cleric Detect Magic, and also determine whether undead have been in the area anywhere in the last week. Maker's Peace (level 1) is present in most faith's rituals despite the name, and deals 1d6+1 damage to a single undead per four cleric levels, with an additional save vs Spells or destruction if the creature has been created in the last two weeks. Martyr's Fury (level 4) is incredibly powerful, but can only be cast if the cleric is fighting on behalf of their faith or an ideal of their beliefs. For the duration of the spell (1 round/level) the cleric automatically hits and deals maximum damage in combat, and can cast any spell they know even if it's not prepared, and succeeds in every saving throw they make and cannot be killed; but at the end of the duration, the cleric burns away in a bright burst of divine energy and their soul is sent to meet their god at once. Resurrection will be impossible, and GMs are advised to disallow this spell to new cleric PCs if the campaign allows for higher-powered replacement characters until said PC ceases to be "disposable." :v:

Not seen: all the heathens struck down before the cleric died. Yeah I know clerics don't wear swords in oldschool D&D don't ruin this for me.

Scion wyrds are born from the conjunction of elf soul and human body, giving them an unique capability for modifying reality at their whim. All Possible Knives (level 1) gives the Scion a MMO hammerspace inventory - though encumbrance is still a thing, they can put items no larger than a suit of armor "elsewhere" and bring them back at whim. These items all return to reality if the Scion dies or is rendered unconscious. Solipsistic Forge (level 1) lets the Scion conjure objects out of their own thoughtspace. Any item not larger than a suit of armor can be conjured, but specific replicas can only be done if the Scion has studied it in detail before. The items last for six turns, can only be used by the Scion, and they can create two items a day per level of experience. Walker in Dreams (level 1) lets the Scion "forget" their existence before they remember they actually are in a location within 25 feet. It can be used safely twice a day, any further use requires a save vs Spells or the Scion will be lost in the void forever. Dream Logic (level 2) forces a group of victims (the highest save vs Spells rolls) to perceive the Scion's actions as logical and reasonable no matter how outrageous they are. It lasts for an hour or until someone else not affected by the wyrd points the bizarreness out. Already There (level 3) needs the Scion to concentrate and walk some feet in a straight line, then teleporting next to a target of their choosing. Furthermore, unless circumstances were extremely improbable, the Scion will be assumed by others to have always been there with the target, so you can pull Batmans on people with it. The Other Way (level 4) lets the Scion "take back" a round; it is as if the Scion had done nothing except staying still for a round. It can be triggered once a day even if the Scion was killed in that round, but it can't avoid deaths caused by the actions of others unless those actions were the result of of a choice made in the earlier round. Foreordained (level 5) lets the Scion outright choose the result of a dice roll, with a save vs Spells if the victim wants to; if they don't, when the wyrd is meant to help an ally with an attack roll or saving throw, for instance, that ally's opponent may save vs Spells to overcome the effect.

Okay, so wizards dress like this...

Shou witch spells are generally cleric ones (Cure Light Wounds, etc.) along with some unique witch-only spells. These are usually related to nature, other Shou, and beating the poo poo out of Tide creatures: many of them have special effects if the targets are Tidespawn. For instance, Cleanse the Earth is a powerful 7th level spell that strikes a 20' radius zone with a Dispel Magic, then deals 1d6 damage per level of the witch to any non-Shou spellcaster in the area, with a save vs Spells for half damage. That save is foregone if the targets are Tidespawn or cultists, and the Dispel Magic effect always succeeds. Other spells are Bind Champion (level 1), that allows the witch to share strength with a willing champion, transferring up to 3 points of damage per witch level from the witch to the champion or viceversa. The effect only works once a round, and the witch decides how the damage is apportioned, even dealing fatal wounds to the champion if she so wishes. Shakun's Law (level 1!) is a mass Charm Person that works on 3d6 Shou or creatures with at least one-half Shou blood. Shakun's Scourge (level 4) deals 1d6 damage per witch level up to 10d6, with a save vs Spells for half damage; Tidespawn not only don't get this save, but also take 1d6+1 damage per witch level.

But witches dress like this. Welp.

Magic-user spells are less :tviv: but pretty fluffy and cool. Auspicious Ward of Comity lets the spellcaster anoint up to six allies with a rare unguent worth 50gp per person. These allies won't be harmed by the caster's spells, and will automatically save against any of the caster's spells, so it's ideal for the wizard that isn't too finicky about the placement of their AOEs. Broad Back of the Tireless Laborer (level 2) lasts one hour per level and lets a target never grow hungry, tired or sleepy no matter how great their exertion, but if the spell is maintained more than 18 hours the target must save vs Poison or fall unconscious. Jie Tou's Wise Elegance (level 1) lets the target be maintained clean, neat and dry no matter their surroundings. Teutohard's Inked Apprehension (level 2) lets the caster essentially take a picture of a subject on a parchment, magically drawing it in an accurate if pedestrian style. The Golden Needles of Enthrallment (level 2) is an "improved" version of Charm Person that needs golden needles worth 100gp to be inserted into the unfortunate target, which will be then hopelessly enthralled to the caster even if their orders are suicidal. The spell reduces the target's Intelligence in 2 points and furthermore, even if the needles are removed the target's spellcasting ability is destroyed unless they receive a Cure Disease. The Pandect of Inimitable Verity (level 6) was one of Rai's last spells before he broke with Lammach, and holds Tidespawn at bay from a specially prepared area (500 gp in materials for a temporary one, 5,000 gp for a permanent safepoint). Not only the Tide creatures can't enter or attack anyone in the area, they can't even sense them unless some other being points it out or someone inside the Pandect attacks them, in which case its effect is broken. The Summons Upon The Way (level 5) is a special elven spell that lets them revive any elf that has not yet reincarnated. It does not need the elf's remains, but without them the caster must recite their name and that of their last five incarnations, which means that there are many Apotheons waiting for their Summons that won't receive it because their previous names are lost to time and chaos.

Zap, mothafucka!

Magic items! Here we have the usual assortment of magic items, stuff like Creed Blades (+1 swords or daggers that in the hand of an elf also let them reroll a failed saving throw, and display the principles of their Creed along the blade) or the Skull of the Longfathers (prepared by a dwarf craftswoman by inlaying the skull of a loved husband with precious gems, it lets the bearer resist up to 50 damage points before cracking and losing its power). The most important item here is godbone: this mineral that can only be found in the Isles has all sorts of beneficial effects. Carrying a pound of raw godbone grants the bearer a Protection from Evil effect that applies to Tidespawn and cultists, and witches know secrets to fashion arms and armor out of them that also carries that protective effect, as well as granting extra defense or offense against extraplanar creatures. Furthermore, godbone can augment spells: using one pound of it as a spell component maximizes any random effect from the spell (like damage rolls) or lets the caster roll up to three times and take the best roll if the spell forces a roll on a table or similar. In Tien Lung, sorcerers make a point of purchasing or confiscating any godbone they can find, and a single pound can reach up to a thousand gold koku in the markets of Xian and Hohnberg.

And now, item styles! These have no effect but are really cool. GMs that wish to make items distinct can roll or choose from a table to see just how a magic item looks, depending on the culture that created it. For instance, take the common potion of Cure Light Wounds. An Imperial potion will be bottled in a thumb-sized jade vial that can be distinguished by touch, ideal for soldiers in the middle of battle. It can be a Kueh bamboo vial or a flower bloom that must be crushed to gain the effect. The Eirengarders have unguents carried in small glass tablets that must be anointed on the target while saying a prayer, while the Gadaal bake pastries made from dubious if auspicious ingredients, and an Ekshanti "potion" will be a perfume that must be smelled before the effect takes place (and can later be used as regular perfume :v:) Even a poison found in ancient ruins may actually be a combat potion made for creatures that have non-human physiologies. By the same token, a suit of enchanted plate may be well-made Imperial lamellar, a superheavy Eirengarder suit enchanted not for extra protection but to allow someone to move inside of it in the first place, a pair of Gadaal boots made under such auspicious circumstances that the wearer is as hard to harm as someone in full armor, or some incredibly weird elven armor that seems to be full of weak points but somehow forces reality to accept that it actually protects. Even a scroll can be a Kueh ofuda charm, a Gadaal copper plate that turns into verdigris flakes as it is read, or a rubbery ball of elven manufacture that spreads over the caster's forearm when held tightly and reveals a readable magic pattern.

No, actually this is going to cut the poo poo out of you and not break on the first parry. Magic!

Next: more :black101:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Princess: the Hopeful
Calling
So unlike Cyth's posts with each portion of the X and Y splat being mostly on their own, I'm giving each of them their own megapost (so your Scrollwheel doesn't have to work as hard). I initially intended both Callings and Queens on a single post, but previewing just the Callings gave me a sense that the post would be too big if both were in the same post, so I've separated them into their own posts. Both X and Y splats have stereotypes referring to all of the lines except for Demon (presumably since the section hasn't been updated since its release) and includes the fan lines Genius and Leviathan. I know nothing about Leviathan, though I'm sure someone might do an F&F for that and possibly Djinn since I believe that's also been "produced".

Callings are the X splat. They're all rather one-note and can probably be easily boiled down to a single line of description with little to nothing lost. Each Calling has an affinity to three different Charm families and start with one dot in a Transformed Attribute. Of the Charm families, half appear only once with each Calling while the other five are shared between them. Every Attribute also only appears once in the transformed Attributes list except for Presence which appears twice. Each also has a Duty that they can follow to regain Wisps as well as three oaths that are general guidelines the class should follow (I say class since the parallels to the classic D&D classes are way too striking).

Champion

quote:

Champions epitomize the ancient concept of a hero – those who accomplish. In the Kingdom, they were the defenders and the conquerors, the dragon slayers and the chain smashers. Their counterparts in the Reborn world value strength for altruistic reasons. They serve the weak. Moreover, they enjoy physical accomplishment for its own sake – Champions frequently sprout from athletes, those with a penchant for construction or day labor, and even brawlers. Anyone who loves to push their body to the limit or appreciates the simple need for a sturdy pair of hands makes for a grand Champion.

Given their emphasis on physique, some tend to mistake Champions as simple-minded or naturally violent. Rather, they just look for direct solutions. To them, a problem is something that needs to be done. If they can’t find a physical solution, something they can flat out do, then Champions will break the situation down until they can. They cut the Gordian knot, instead of puzzling over it. If there is a weakness that stems from this tendency, it’s that Champions tend to be blind to someone’s more sublime pain or motivations, but it also makes them refreshingly straight-forward and realistic.

They're Fighters/Warriors. Or Knights too. They have affinities to the Bless, Fight and Perfect Charm families and get a Transformed Attribute Dot in Strength or Resolve.

quote:

Champions regain magic whenever they perform a task for somebody who physically incapable or overwhelmed and don’t have the time and/or resources they need. This can mean doing chores for an elderly neighbor, working for a charity or volunteer effort, protecting a classmate from a bully, or otherwise making a sacrifice of your time and effort for someone else’s benefit. Champions can also restore their magic by protecting the innocent. Wiping out a nest of Darkspawn, defending a child from a wild animal, even walking the beat as a police officer can all fulfil a Champion’s duties.
Ostensibly, a Lawyer or a nurse or even a sort of courier would also be acceptable occupations but most of the examples tend towards the physical with an emphasis on Strength.

quote:

First Oath:
I must never abandon those who need my protection. Even if someone isn’t staring down a horrible creature of Darkness right now, the chance remains that they could in the future. If someone needs to be watched over, they need to be watched over, and I can’t ignore that need.
Second Oath:
I shall swear myself to a code. Might is never the ends, only the means. My code shall determine when violence is acceptable, and for what reasons a sword may be drawn. I may change my code but I must always have one, and once sworn I must uphold the values and principles enshrined by my code.
Third Oath:
Weakness is not an excuse, it is a flaw. If I am aware of a threat that I cannot counter I shall train until I can.
Be strong for the weak.
One of the concepts listed is a Knight and frankly, I don't think there was much else used for the concept.

The Stereotypes:

quote:

• Graces: By the time you have raised an army, I will have already won the battle.
• Menders: You tend to the wounded. There will be plenty of them soon enough.
• Seekers: You want the truth? Ask a Seeker. You might not like what you hear, but you probably need to hear it.
• Troubadors: Why are you just standing there singing? Hit something!
• Vampires: We have a word for these where I come from – “targets.”
• Werewolves: Nice doggy... we’re on the same side, remember?
• Mages: Don’t make me come over there.
• Prometheans: I feel sorry for you, really, but you have to move on now.
• Changelings: Yes, your life sucks. Now what are you going to do about it?
• Sin-Eaters: If you narrowly escape death, but then make yourself a slave to a dead thing, you haven’t really escaped death at all, have you?
• Mummies: You can’t remember why you’re fighting, I wouldn’t want to be you. Not for all your power and immortality.
• Mad Scientists: So, could you show me how to use that thing?
• Leviathans: RUN! I’ll buy you time... and goodbye.
• Hunters: You guys are crazy! How can I help?
• Mortals: My job would be a lot easier if these guys would step up, but some of them just can’t. That’s why I’m here

Examples:
Most magical girls fit into this category
Kamen Rider Wizard (my own interpretation Magiranger also probably acceptable)

Buffy (theirs)

Grace

quote:

If we lost anything in the Fall, it was each other. People now wrap themselves in an shell of cynicism and distrust to save themselves from humiliation and risk. They carry popular opinions like armour, not with conviction. People can’t save each other if they can’t understand eachother and they can’t save themselves if they don’t even know who they are.

Graces are the maidens of relivation. In ages past, they were teacher, leaders, lawmakers and judges who helped a species of almost-monkeys become a civilisation. Now they continue their duty, although muted, in the modern world. Graces force those around them to look at the people around them and confront what they find there. They are not malicious and they are not cruel – they know there can be pain, but they only want to show everybody what they can already see: the golden light that could shine in all of humanity.

Graces are people people. They like to know people, they like to hear about people, they like to be around people, and they like when people are people. Nothing pains them so much as someone denying their own humanity. Others would describe them as “intrusive” or “presumptuous” – always nosing into other people’s business and offering advice when none is solicited. A Grace might be written off as naive or idealistic, for all her proselytizing about friendship. They do tend to be outspoken and emotional. They never restrain themselves from speaking what’s on their mind or in their heart – and might be no strangers to embarrassment because of it.

Social-Monkeys like the Rogue (since the Champion does all the Stabbing). They have affinities to the Bless, Connect and Govern Charm families and get a transformed Attribute dot in Presence or Composure.

quote:

Graces recover their magic whenever they convince act on their virtuous impulses or bring them closer to their fellow man. This covers situations such as convincing an addict to seek out help, easing the anger between antagonistic relatives, getting a classmate to study for her own sake instead of cheating, or even just helping someone act on their crush. Graces also refresh their magic by leading societies. Turning a petition into a law, making executive decisions in a company, debating in the student council, working as a judge, or just making a convincing speech are all sacred duties to the Graces.
Grace Princesses are the Boss. Bark orders, receive Wisps.

quote:

First Oath:
I must never force another to do as I wish. I can persuade and inspire but blackmail, or worse, mind control betray everything the I stand for. Nothing good can come from such rotten foundations.
Second Oath:
I cannot isolate myself from the people I wish to help, how can I improve their lives if I don’t even talk to them about those lives?
Third Oath:
I must be honest, not manipulative. Mine is the magic to build trust and bring people together, not the power to turn people into tools.
We can do this, together.

quote:

Stereotypes
• Champions: What will you fight for? Me perhaps?
• Menders: You can only do so much by treating the symptoms.
• Seekers: Look as much as you want, I have no skeletons in my closet.
• Troubadours: I’ll lead them, you shall inspire them.
• Vampires: Explain to me again how your civilisation is anything of the sort.
• Werewolves: I might never know loyalty like you, but your pack has five. In a week I could make fifty friends.
• Mages: Their magic isolates them from their fellow man. Nothing good can come of it.
• Prometheans: You want me to teach you how to be human? Well you’ve come to the right person.
• Changelings: If you’re not careful a faerie can turn your words on you.
• Sin-Eaters: This mythology was stolen from dragonlance, and it sonuds like you wrote this code of honour while you were drunk! Is there nothing of substance to your society?
• Mummies: A leader and a servant, I would like the dichotomy. If only it wasn’t so dysfunctional.
• Mad Scientists: So if I get the institue to appologise for laughing at you research will you destroy the killbots? No? Do you even know what you want?!
• Leviathans: A society is it’s citizens not it’s leader. If you don’t believe me just look at those monsters.
• Hunters: Defending yourself is admarable, but fighting outside society can lead to dark places.
• Mortals: Stop calling it cheesy when it’s true. The power really is inside you if you just belive in yourselves.
Five typos. Also sounds like barely any thought went into any of these. If any at all.

Examples:
There's only one provided example for this Calling so you get whoever this is.
Hinamori Amu from Shugo Chara! (theirs)

You know who (mine)

Mender

quote:

All of the Nobility feel the pain of others, but Menders are those who can’t bear to live with it. Their first impulse is always to treat pain, either physical or spiritual. These were the great sages and physicians of the Kingdom, who studied the science of the human conditions on levels undreamt by modern science. A good Mender is always looking around to see how she can make those around her better. Todays dark shrouded world is like a ravenous beast, they say, and it mangles us all, all the time. Without care, none of us will ever be strong enough to break out of the mire that swallows us whole. Nobody should be made to lie crippled as their dreams run on ahead of them.

Menders are typically described as either motherly or child-like – always blindly over-protective or naively concerned with the problems right before without seeing the big picture. They are natural caretakers. They easily take responsibility for those around them and are quick to worry. Often, they will display great maturity, although they are also frequently overcome by feelings of failure or helplessness when they lose a paitent. A large number are pacifists, even in this dark world. Their uniting characteristics are a deep respect for life and horror in the face of suffering. The latter may sometimes be a weakness, but the best turn it into an iron resolve.

Cleric this time. Their affinities are the Perfect, Restore and Shape Charm families and get a transformed Attribute dot in Intelligence or Stamina.

quote:

Menders regain magic whenever they provide consolation, comfort, and aid. They can volunteer their time as medical facilities or to provide home care, work as part of emergency hotlines, design new treatments, be a shoulder for someone beset by loss and grief, or do any other number of things to relieve the pain of others. A Mender can work with machines as well as people, a brake line can cause as much suffering as a broken rib. In the end though, it really does come back to suffering. A Mender builds and repairs machines to help people rather than the simple joy of creation.
Also Mercy killer, drug dealer and mad scientist :v:

quote:

First Oath:
I will help all who request it. No matter what, I am here to heal. If anyone requests my aid, I will help them, no matter how I feel about them or what they have done in the past. Now, I don’t have to be stupid about it – if I don’t have the skills, or if a dangerous creature seeks my aid, I can take precautions to protect myself and my friends even as I administer that aid, and I don’t always necessarily need to give aid in the particular manner requested. But I am here because people are hurting, and to allow that pain to continue is to betray my Calling.
Second Oath:
I shall search for those that are hurt and at least offer to help them. I cannot sit passively by and wait for those in pain to notice that I can make things better.
Third Oath:
I have a sacred duty to healing, I shall do no harm and respect the autonomy of all my patients. The healer’s sacred duties have survived the fall of our kingdom and I am proud to uphold their traditions.
First, do no harm...
Not only is the quote uninspired (since it's done in the third Oath but the Hippocratic oath is probably on the money), the first Oath is ultra long and utterly terrible.

quote:

Stereotypes
• Champions: Bring the wounded back here, I’ll be ready.
• Graces: Stop making speeches about the stars and look at how people live in the gutter.
• Seekers: The truth isn’t hidden, it’s right in front of us. People need our help.
• Troubadors: Just keep their spirits up for me.
• Vampires: Incurable.
• Werewolves: You could do so much good if you’d just let me try and duplicate your cellular regeneration.
• Mages: Give me one good reason you’re not curing somebody’s cancer right now, just one good reason.
• Prometheans: Bringing the dead back to life... growing replacement souls... it’s possible? I need to know more.
• Changelings: Why do those feathers make me think of scars?
• Sin-Eaters: I know you had one miraculous recovery, but as your doctor I must recommend you cut back on the drink, and the drugs, and the unprotected sex.
• Mummies: I could help you remember yourself, why are you only interested in the wands I make?
• Mad Scientists: Do you want to talk about it? Of course I’m not calling you mad!
• Leviathans: I can’t decide if they need healing or cutting out.
• Hunters: If you want, I’m willing to listen to why your’e so hurt.
• Mortals: No this isn’t going to sting, I’m better than that.
For some, it reads like a more Medically oriented Genius was saying these rather than as an arbiter of compassionate healing. Most of the example concepts have a medical lean to them too

Example:
This one's the same.
Shamal from Nanoha (theirs)

Madaraki Fran from Franken Fran (mine, but not really Magical)

Tetra from Log Horizon (also mine)

Seeker

quote:

The desire to know is universal human trait, embedded in the heart and soul and genetic code of every man and woman on the planet. What isn’t common is the will to keep chasing after those answers when things start getting dangerous. That’s what sets the Seekers apart. In their previous lives, Seekers were the detectives, scientists, and scholars of the Kingdom. Their dreams of the Kingdom are filled with colleges where the secrets of the universe are revealed and cities where no lie is uttered and not even the smallest misunderstanding is present to obscure the truth. When they dream of the Cataclysm, they see grand libraries and academies burned to the ground, and lies entwined with lies in a web of deception so deep that even the most fundamental truths are uncertain.

Seekers are a varied bunch. Many Seekers act like detectives or journalists, ferreting out crime and deception from the communities under their protection. Others resemble the scientist-heroes or adventurer-archaeologists of the pulp era, braving danger and using the secrets they discover to fight evil and better the world. Some Seekers act as stoic guardians of Things Man was Not Meant to Know, keeping forbidden knowledge out of unworthy hands. Others are stalwart enemies of lies and deceit, and those who would use them to pacify and control a population. But no matter how they approach their duty, all Seekers share the common goal of unearthing hidden secrets and more importantly, using those secrets to make the world a better place.

Seeker often prioritize mental attributes to aid them in their search for the truth. Resolve is prized by all Seekers to keep searching after the truth despite hardship or weariness. Wits, Larceny, and Investigation are prioritized by Seekers who favor classic detective work, along with Manipulation, Empathy, and Persuasion to tease the truth out of reluctant witnesses or suspects. Those who were scientists or scholars before Blossoming often possess high Intelligence. Subterfuge comes in handy when a Seeker needs to investigate things without creating suspicion.

If not the Wizard class, then the Nerd class and thus likely closest to the heart of the writers. Their open spiel is also the longest. The get affinities to the Appear, Govern and Learn Charm families and get a transformed Attribute dot in Intelligence or Wits.

quote:

A Seeker regains Wisps whenever she uncovers new facts or information, and whenever she teaches another something that they do not know. A Seeker could be a scientist or explorer uncovering secrets no man has ever known. She could be a detective or journalist uncovering that which unscrupulous individuals try hard to keep hidden. She could be a teacher passing what she knows to the next generation. Many Seekers do a little of A and a little of B. A reporter uncovers a political scandal, then she publishes it. A Professor does exciting scientific research, then writes a paper and gives lectures on it.
How is that list bit "a little of A and a little of B?" Isn't that what those respective professions do? Admittedly, this is probably the clearest and relatively most thought out Calling in comparison to the others

quote:

First Oath:
I must never lie for personal gain. Even if I acknowledge that revealing my secret identity would be a bad idea, I have an obligation to the Truth and I shouldn’t misuse it just to help myself. Silence is always better than a lie.
Second Oath:
It is my duty to educate. If I am asked a question I shall try my best to answer honestly and truly.
Third Oath:
The world is full of mysteries and they should not be left unexplored. I shall work to increase my understanding of the world every day.
The truth shall set you free.
That First Oath could seriously be condensed into a single line instead of whatever nonsense that is.

quote:

Stereotypes
• Champions: I understand how you feel, but punching people isn’t the solution.
• Graces: If only they asked any questions that actually mattered...
• Menders: I admire your dedication, but you’re treating the symptoms, not the disease.
• Troubadors: Stop prattling on about art and actually do something.
• Vampires: Friggin’ lying bastards hurting people and lying all over the friggin’ place. I hate them.
• Werewolves: Great sources of lore if you convince them not to bite your head off.
• Mages: A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. Nothing that secrative can be any good.
• Prometheans: Don’t blame them for what they are. Who’s the bigger monster, the creature or Dr. Frankenstein?
• Changelings: They’re full of valuable insights. It’s gaining their trust that’s the chore.
• Sin-Eaters: They probably have useful information to share. If only we could get them to talk about anything but doom and gloom.
• Mummies: The truth is still there, burred beneath the sands. I could help you find it.
• Mad Scientists: You’d be suprised how much they know, if they ever bothered to remember there’s a difference between what they know is real, what they think might be real and what they think is cool.
• Leviathans: There are some things even I don’t want to know.
• Hunters: They’re great in a fight, but half the time they keep shooting up what I’m looking for!
• Mortals: People have been lying to you your whole lives. I’m gonna put an end to that, just you wait and see.
That Vampire line is just so screamingly awful. Also, there seems to be a running theme about what Sin-Eaters are like and what they do and how whoever's writing this can't seem to make up much of their mind as to any of it.

Examples:
Four examples with only one of them that I know that really fits the bill.
Ms. Frizzle (theirs)

The Question (mine)

Troubadour

quote:

Soul is not a silent, static egg that we must shelter from the outside world until the time comes for it to hatch. Troubadours know the truth – the soul is a living, breathing maelstrom and unless we open up and let it out, it can smother to death within us. And the Troubadours have the keys to let it out.

Each Troubadour is a master of some artifice – singing, dancing, painting, sculpting, baking, cracking jokes, or even just folding paper cranes. In their past lives, they were the queens of bards, storytellers and chanters, masters of divine instruments who imparted the wisdom of the ages in grand halls and shady grooves. Now their mission now is to set us free from ourselves. Art, the Troubadours teach, gives shape to things that people can’t or won’t express themselves. Every song or painting or performance lets the silent and unassuming realize and crystallize the beautiful internal forces they otherwise overlook. The people of the Fallen World suffer through with souls buried under the rubble of the Kingdom. The Troubadours are archaeologists of Joy.

Most people would describe Troubadours as people with their heads in the clouds. If they aren’t visualizing a statue or planning a new routine or reviewing the forms of a plot, then a Troubadour is admiring the natural art of the world around her – the patterns woven out of everyday life and the people who populate it. Troubadours are vibrant, expression personalities, not shy about baring their souls. Their chosen art tends to consume their life and they want to involve as many people as they can in It. Unfortunately, they are artists first and foremost – they easily get lost in a world of symbols and frequently can’t understand people’s impatience with their “frivolous” hobbies.

The Bard. This one also seems a bit more thought out compared to the others even if it mostly boils down to "the Creative one." Their affinities are the Appear, Inspire and Shape Charm families and get a transformed Attribute dot in Presence or Dexterity.

quote:

Troubadours draw magic from the release of others’ souls. Their duty encompasses providing art that inspires or consoles those who otherwise draw into themselves, encouraging and teaching those looking for a way to express themselves, and energizing those around them with their own vibrant talents.
They also have the shortest Duty section

quote:

First Oath:
I will use my talents to awaken, not tranquilize. My art must always carry the sting of truth and the spark of life. It must never be used to make people afraid of their own identities or trick them into silence.
Second Oath:
My art will ever be for my audience. I must not become so wrapped up in my own ego that I forget the people around me. Without the mortals who need it, my art is merely a selfish exercise in solipsism.
Third Oath:
My art will be. As long as I draw breath I shall not cease creating and sharing my art to improve the world.
Let us make something beautiful.

quote:

Stereotypes
• Champions: When you can use it to aim public opinion at a threat to the community, a song is a sharper weapon than a sword.
• Graces: Laws don’t make a society, art makes a society.
• Menders: You can heal their body, I can enrich their souls.
• Seekers: Do you remember your teacher’s lecture on the states and their capitals? No? Do you remember that song from Animaniacs? Yeah, it’s like that.
• Vampires: You dress yourselves up and act so elegant, but you’re really just wearing funeral makeup.
• Werewolves: Such strong emotions, hold still. I need to get this on canvas.
• Mages: I don’t understand, if you experienced a relivation like that how can you not be shouting it from the rooftops.
• Prometheans: To literally touch god through your creations...
• Changelings: They’re very secretive, but you can see their pain in their art if you know how to look.
• Sin-Eaters: Such a dynamic and energetic people, pity there’s no substance behind it all.
• Mummies: I admit it, I’m jealous. My works haven’t stood for thousands of years.
• Mad Scientists: I know how it feels to be inspired, but there’s really no excuse for what you did.
• Leviathans: That’s just horrible, and maybe just a little bit beautiful. Wait! What am I saying?!
• Hunters: You fight monsters? Without any special powers to help you out? And you win? [bites lip] Do you want my number?
• Mortals: I’ve got something to show you, I think you’ll quite like it.
[bites tongue]

Examples:
The Elite Beat Agents (theirs)

AKB0048 (mine. Never actually seen this either fwiw)

Next:

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

quote:

Hunters: You fight monsters? Without any special powers to help you out? And you win? [bites lip] Do you want my number?

Princesses must live in truly fantastical world if "I can burn monsters with the power of the sun" or "I can smite the poo poo out of you" is not considered a special power.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Doresh posted:

Princesses must live in truly fantastical world if "I can burn monsters with the power of the sun" or "I can smite the poo poo out of you" is not considered a special power.

Well, nWoD hunters have much less of that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Well, nWoD hunters have much less of that.

Unless you're a member of any Conspiracy not named Task Force: VALKYRIE, in which case magic of all kinds is back on the table. TFV opts for exoskeletons, plasma cannons, and the like.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Cythereal posted:

Unless you're a member of any Conspiracy not named Task Force: VALKYRIE, in which case magic of all kinds is back on the table. TFV opts for exoskeletons, plasma cannons, and the like.

Presumably the most common type of hunter in nWoD is Tier 1, closer to Phantasm than The Initiative.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Most Hunters aren't in Compacts, let alone Conspiracies. Also they might be from VASCU, who is totally not magic. They're psychic!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Traveller posted:

Presumably the most common type of hunter in nWoD is Tier 1, closer to Phantasm than The Initiative.

A fair point, I'm just used to thinking of Hunters in terms of Conspiracies, and Princess does not feel like a terribly well thought-out line in general. Nothing about most of those stereotypes screams magical girl to me, or that they're genuine beacons of light in the World of Darkness. Doubly so considering how many ways they can apparently go wrong or destroy themselves. Still not getting any sense of them having a place in the World of Darkness not already filled by Hunters who haven't lost their senses of empathy and humanity.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
HackMaster, 2

Ok, let's have a crack at the first of those characters; a Gnome Titan Fighter. First step, the all important array roll.

Side note: HackMaster has a really odd idea about the order in which you roll your stats by default. Most D&D players I know use the Physical/Mental divide: Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha. Some older edition grognards use Str, Dex, Int, Wis, Con, Cha; and 4e fans use Str, Con, Dex, Int, Wis, Cha. HackMaster suggests Str, Int, Wis, Dex, Con, Looks, Cha, which I'm not sure has any relationship to anything. I'm going to go ahead and use phys/mental, because it's what I'm used to and makes sense.

So, here we go:
Str 13 / 18
Dex 9 / 40
Con 10 / 26
Int 13 / 27
Wis 6 / 26
Cha 11 / 78
Looks 13 / 14

That's a pretty good start. Good Strength is helpful. Dex 9 isn't great, and Con 10 might be a problem. On the other hand, switching them out will cost 25-50BP, so we might be better sticking to what we have. With a 78% percentile, buying up the Cha might be a good idea.

Now we go Gnome Titan. The full list of stuff we get for this is as follows:
* -1 Str, +2 Con, -1 Cha.
* Considered Large for knockback when fighting giants and giant-kin, and get +6 defense against giants, ogres, and trolls or +4 against everyone else.
* +1 attack vs Goblins and Kobolds.
* Get the attack bonus of the next level up in our class.
* Low light vision.
* Automatic proficiency in Groin Stomp. If someone's prone, knocked down or asleep, we can jump on them (the book mentions it need not actually be the groin) to stun them for 2d8p ticks, cause 1-4 points of damage, cost them a point of Honor, and repeat the maneuver every 10 ticks.
* -1 foot effective reach.
* Native language of Gnomish; must buy other languages.
* Size small for hit points and knock-backs.
* Half movement speed.
* 10% XP penalty.
* Inappropriate Sense of Humor Quirk (tends to laugh when bad things happen to other people and play pranks at the wrong moment)

So, we've got a few terms coming in here. First of all, that "2d8p" business - that indicates the dice are explosive (Hackmaster calls them "penetrating"). Secondly, the attack and defense bonuses. Unlike D&D, in Hackmaster most of the rolls for attack and defense are opposed d20 rolls, which means they have a bell curve and small modifiers are more important - this is part of the reason why it isn't such a huge panic to have lower stats.

Finally, we also mentioned "ticks", also called "seconds". Hackmaster uses a counting initiative system a bit like Feng Shui and the older versions of Shadowrun, with the exception that those systems have you counting down seconds until the end of the round. In Hackmaster, the count goes up, to no limit and there is no such thing as a round. So 10 ticks means that the action takes 10 cycles of the count-up.

Now, on top of this we add the Fighter class. This gives us a hit dice d10, and..

* Our progression statistics (the stuff that goes up as we gain levels) are Attack Bonus, Speed, and Initiative. At level 1, we don't get any bonuses yet. Oh, but wait! Because we're a Gnome Titan, we get the Attack Bonus of a character one level higher, which is +1.
* We start with proficiency in Minimal Skill Weapons - which is fists and clubs. Any other weapon proficiencies we buy are half the usual cost. Weapon Specializations cost 5 BP, no matter what weapon they are for.
* We also start with proficiency with heavy armor and shields, and some additional proficiencies: Hiking/Marching (increases your travel speed across terrain, and allows you to force-march faster at the cost of being fatigued), Laborer (allows you to meaningfully contribute to menial group tasks), and Phalanx (allows you to fight in ranks with polearms behind you and pikes behind them, without accruing penalties). Unfortunately, at the moment we won't get the Hiking proficiency because it requires 11 Con, so we'd need to swap stats around in order to get it.
* We get a free purchase of the Appraisal (Weapons) skill.

So, questions for the moment:
* Do we go ahead with these stats, or swap some or all of them?
* What weapons shall we go for proficiency with? The choices we have and the adjusted BP costs (not counting the ones we already have) are:
1 BP: Bardiche, Battle Axe, Crossbow, Dagger, Fauchard, Fauchard-Fork, Flail, Glaive, Great Warhammer, Guisarme, Hand Axe, Javelin, Knife, Mace, Military Fork, Military Pick, Morningstar, Partisan, Pike, Scourge, Short sword, Spear, Spetum, Staff, Warhammer, Voulge
2 BP: Bec de Corbin, Bill-Guisarme, Broadsword, Glaive-Guisarme, Greatsword, Guisarme-voulge, Halberd, Horseman's Flail, Horseman's Mace, Horseman's Pick, Lance, Longsword, Ranseur, Sabre, Scimitar, Short Bow, Sling, Thrown Axe, Thrown Knife, Trident, Two-handed Scythe, two-handed Sword
3 BP: Longbow

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Most Hunters aren't in Compacts, let alone Conspiracies. Also they might be from VASCU, who is totally not magic. They're psychic!

Speaking of, has anyone done Slasher?

(I just want to see the thread's take on VASCU, as they were a blast to write).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cythereal posted:

A fair point, I'm just used to thinking of Hunters in terms of Conspiracies, and Princess does not feel like a terribly well thought-out line in general. Nothing about most of those stereotypes screams magical girl to me, or that they're genuine beacons of light in the World of Darkness. Doubly so considering how many ways they can apparently go wrong or destroy themselves. Still not getting any sense of them having a place in the World of Darkness not already filled by Hunters who haven't lost their senses of empathy and humanity.

Honestly the thing I would most want to do with Princess is deal with the whole "what if your beliefs are bad" thing. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the people with the strongest-held beliefs are the craziest.

When I think about someone who fights for a strongly-held belief, I'd be more likely to picture a Nazi or a member of ISIS or, at best, a member of the International Brigades. Someone who's truly selfless can be scary as hell.

Having some kind of actual force out there seeking to erase light and belief seems weaksauce.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

hyphz posted:

. Unfortunately, at the moment we won't get the Hiking proficiency because it requires 11 Con, so we'd need to swap stats around in order to get it.

But Gnome Titan apparently gives you +2 to Con, so you should have enough for that? Or do you already have the racial bonuses baked into the rolled stats or...?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

DigitalRaven posted:

Speaking of, has anyone done Slasher?

(I just want to see the thread's take on VASCU, as they were a blast to write).

Not yet, but I've thought about it. VASCU are great, an entire team of Yorks.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

hyphz posted:

HackMaster, 2

So, questions for the moment:
* Do we go ahead with these stats, or swap some or all of them?
* What weapons shall we go for proficiency with? The choices we have and the adjusted BP costs (not counting the ones we already have) are:
1 BP: Bardiche, Battle Axe, Crossbow, Dagger, Fauchard, Fauchard-Fork, Flail, Glaive, Great Warhammer, Guisarme, Hand Axe, Javelin, Knife, Mace, Military Fork, Military Pick, Morningstar, Partisan, Pike, Scourge, Short sword, Spear, Spetum, Staff, Warhammer, Voulge
2 BP: Bec de Corbin, Bill-Guisarme, Broadsword, Glaive-Guisarme, Greatsword, Guisarme-voulge, Halberd, Horseman's Flail, Horseman's Mace, Horseman's Pick, Lance, Longsword, Ranseur, Sabre, Scimitar, Short Bow, Sling, Thrown Axe, Thrown Knife, Trident, Two-handed Scythe, two-handed Sword
3 BP: Longbow

We must be able to use all varieties and slight variation of the polearm. gently caress longbows. We're a short angry, non-magical man! Or woman.

Keep your stats the way that they are. We're going to kawaii-est gnome-titan.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cythereal posted:

Well, next to the power of Satan...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I took a look at this Leviathan fan gameline, and its premise is that you are a Deep One with themes of family (usually of the intensely, sometimes homicidally screwed up) and transformation of the body and mind with a healthy dose of body horror. Their primary adversary is a group of mad scientists/hunters out to protect humanity from the Leviathans and eradicate their literally ill-conceived kind. I may take a crack at it after Genius.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

KittyEmpress posted:

But Gnome Titan apparently gives you +2 to Con, so you should have enough for that? Or do you already have the racial bonuses baked into the rolled stats or...?

Yes, you're right! I hadn't already added the racial modifiers because the stats might have moved.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I took a look at this Leviathan fan gameline, and its premise is that you are a Deep One with themes of family (usually of the intensely, sometimes homicidally screwed up) and transformation of the body and mind with a healthy dose of body horror. Their primary adversary is a group of mad scientists/hunters out to protect humanity from the Leviathans and eradicate their literally ill-conceived kind. I may take a crack at it after Genius.

It sounds like Beast before Beast was ever concocted.

wdarkk posted:

Honestly the thing I would most want to do with Princess is deal with the whole "what if your beliefs are bad" thing. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the people with the strongest-held beliefs are the craziest.

When I think about someone who fights for a strongly-held belief, I'd be more likely to picture a Nazi or a member of ISIS or, at best, a member of the International Brigades. Someone who's truly selfless can be scary as hell.

Having some kind of actual force out there seeking to erase light and belief seems weaksauce.

Belief, from what it looks like is expected to go up and down a bit. Probably once a session at least so those tenets aren't so strongly held. The Oaths are meant to be a bit more constant. From what I can gather, a starting Princess would follow those beliefs like a teenager or young adult. Something firm, but probably a bit half baked and not as well thought out. For what it's worth, doing "bad things" like killing or torture or terrorism is verboten for heroic Princesses. There's a Queen for Princesses, though, that take a "by any means" necessary approach to ridding the world of Darkness.

Cyth is probably right though in that Princesses may as well just be another sub-group of Hunters since they effectively play the same role as the Wild Card Vigilantes that Hunters occupy just like Geinuses sorta fit the same role as Mages.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Knock-off Deep Ones.

Deep Ones had both genders and all known couples were consensual. The narrator was just really racist.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xelkelvos posted:

It sounds like Beast before Beast was ever concocted.

Never heard of Beast. From a glance through Leviathan, the basic deal is that it really does suck to be a Leviathan and the race is in a long decline never to recover. Ancient hunters vanquished their great progenitors, destroyed their once glorious civilization, and their descendants hunt the remaining Leviathans still. This doesn't make them bad people as a whole, and while individual Leviathans can be forces for progress and even forces for good, the race is circling the drain never to recover and the world won't miss them. Don't expect them to go gently into that good night, though. Leviathans retain a measure of their ancestors' power and are capable of immense destruction if unleashed.

quote:

Cyth is probably right though in that Princesses may as well just be another sub-group of Hunters since they effectively play the same role as the Wild Card Vigilantes that Hunters occupy just like Geinuses sorta fit the same role as Mages.

And like Geniuses, Princesses feel like an oWoD spinoff, in this case oChangeling. The main difference being that Princess decided to make their new not-Changelings heroic. Only familiar with oChangeling by reputation, though. None of the attempted reviews of it in this thread got very far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Princesses sounds unironically fun and I would like to actually play it, and I dislike WoD.

• Locked thread