Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Screaming Idiot posted:

Anarchy Reigns is a huge, huge disappointment and I regret wasting money on the rental. But its sorta-predecessor MadWorld is absolutely lovely for one important reason: the running commentary. I would pay any amount of money to have John DiMaggio and Greg Proops comment on every game.

"I can tell you from experience that those Happy Pills work even better if you grind them up and inject them into the folds of your scrotum."
"I'll give you a dollar if you can tell me one thing that isn't better if you grind it up and inject it into the folds of your scrotum."
"Ha-haaah! You got me!"

I actually enjoyed Anarchy Reigns quite a bit but everything revolving its release was hosed up so much that the game never stood a chance.

For starters the game was delayed for no reason for 6 months, it was in english already, hell a digital release could have been done but nope, just held off on it for months(supposedly its because Sega didn't have the money to print the discs for it), then they decide to include pre-order DLC, both a character and a game type, this kind of poo poo works for big titles, not niche stuff, it doesn't help that by releasing a gametype as DLC you are fracturing the player base right from the start.

But that wasn't the biggest blunder oh no, in their infinite wisdom the game player and ranked matches, you take a game that's going to be massively niche and you further split the player like that, I'm fairly certain the online died within weeks largely in part due to this.

The netcode was also atrocious which isn't a good thing for a pseudo fighting game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Screaming Idiot posted:

Anarchy Reigns is a huge, huge disappointment and I regret wasting money on the rental. But its sorta-predecessor MadWorld is absolutely lovely for one important reason: the running commentary. I would pay any amount of money to have John DiMaggio and Greg Proops comment on every game.

"I can tell you from experience that those Happy Pills work even better if you grind them up and inject them into the folds of your scrotum."
"I'll give you a dollar if you can tell me one thing that isn't better if you grind it up and inject it into the folds of your scrotum."
"Ha-haaah! You got me!"

"This message is brought to you by drugs. Drugs: use them often and indiscriminately!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=982dFZJSnWw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJYJBoYDfFE

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 02:25 on May 26, 2015

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Witcher chat: I have played every Witcher thus far, and the third game is the only one I have ever actually been able to get into. They made TW3 much more friendly to new players and it's a lot more forgiving than the first two in terms of combat, but it remains challenging in that even if you're level 5, three level 1 creatures can definitely murder you if you don't watch out.

My favorite little thing about the Witcher series is that your character, Geralt, makes absolutely no bones about how he is definitely only in something for the money. I don't think I've been able to even accept a quest or mission without Geralt being promised cash on completion or money up front. It's a nice break from RPG characters following the goody-two-shoes trope of just trying to help people. Geralt is a supernatural mutated asskicker of monsters and demons and goddamn it he will get paid for it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Anarchy Reigns might be the special-needs redheaded stepchild of Platinum games but it has the best music of any of them imo

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Alouicious posted:

Anarchy Reigns might be the special-needs redheaded stepchild of Platinum games but it has the best music of any of them imo

According to the collective consciousness, this post doesn't obey the rules of nature. The only thing I know for real is that a stranger you'll remain until you admit that the best Platinum soundtrack is obviously MadWorld.

look pimpin, I ain't playin/ in a minute you're gonna be layin/ on the ground, I ain't messin around/ my money, my rules, my town

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I talked about Breakdown in another thread and I forgot about the whole simulation thing. I had remembered it as time travel.

Nah, they're both in there. In the convoluted plot of Breakdown there are the following timelines:

Timeline A which you never play wherein the protagonist is shot to death in his hospital bed by panicking government forces
Timeline B which is the timeline you experience in the simulation wherein the woman from the future is sent back in time to save you from getting shot to death immediately
Timeline C which is the timeline you play where you with super powers go back in time to punch Solus to death

Another small detail I remembered; around a quarter into the game you enter an area with gifted children that goes into quarantine. The female lead tells you not to worry, they'll be safe. Later on after the time-travel is revealed you find out one of those children was her eventual boyfriend. During your attempt to get back to the time machine in the future he dies leaving her completely distraught. Your second go round now that she's from a point in time where she knows he eventually dies she sadly calls out for him when you pass the quarantine room.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've only played the first Witcher but I really liked that the moral choices didn't have immediate effects. Like if you decide to allow some non-human terrorists/freedom fighters to access a weapon stash they'll use it to kill a dude that you have to talk to but you don't even meet until like an hour later.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've only played the first Witcher but I really liked that the moral choices didn't have immediate effects. Like if you decide to allow some non-human terrorists/freedom fighters to access a weapon stash they'll use it to kill a dude that you have to talk to but you don't even meet until like an hour later.

Another little thing in Witcher 3 (spoiler for a side-quest but still, game's new): I had a sidequest that I stumbled upon. It was a group of dudes who were scavenging a field full of dead soldiers, and they hired me to protect them from monsters while they looted. I failed the quest and took my consolation prize and continued exploring. I stumbled on a tiny village where there was a shady man selling passes to cross a river, and he offered me the quest to go help his brother-in-law, who was scavenging corpses. The same brother I failed to keep alive. I got to tell him that I took on the mission and that, unfortunately, his brother was dead. The guy got pissed and I wasn't able to buy a pass.

Super cool that the game has little details like that.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
ANOTHER COOL WITCHER 3 THING: I was doing a story quest, and in it I have to find a shapeshifter to take the form of someone to get someone else out of prison. Well, one of the random monster contracts ended up with me having to capture and confront a shapeshifter. A contract that I took from a notice board three hours before getting to that part in the story. I was given the chance to ask him if he could help me with the story quest. He still declined, but it was still neat that the game could infuse the story quests and side quests into the same world, unlike most games.

The game also loves making side-quests feel a lot more than side-quests, too. They are their own stories, not just short trips for gold and exp.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Been playing RE Remake, and being a big wuss I like how the mansion kind of empties out as you progress. I'm past the point of hunters, and now I know some safe hallways to take. It's still tense, mind you, but I can handle it better, and makes you feel like you're progressing in a game with a looooooooooot of backtracking.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ApeHawk posted:

ANOTHER COOL WITCHER 3 THING: I was doing a story quest, and in it I have to find a shapeshifter to take the form of someone to get someone else out of prison. Well, one of the random monster contracts ended up with me having to capture and confront a shapeshifter. A contract that I took from a notice board three hours before getting to that part in the story. I was given the chance to ask him if he could help me with the story quest. He still declined, but it was still neat that the game could infuse the story quests and side quests into the same world, unlike most games.

The game also loves making side-quests feel a lot more than side-quests, too. They are their own stories, not just short trips for gold and exp.

This is something that I adore about this game. I always completely ignore sidequest in huge games these days, because drat, I can barely justify spending 20 hours on a game as it is, but in the witcher 3 I really enjoy just doing random quests. They all are unique in their way and feel fleshed out.

Witcher 3 is the best RPG I've played in many, many years, including dragon age, mass effect and others.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

My favourite little thing about Witcher 3 is that somehow a company whose first game released 8 years ago was the quintessential Eastern-European RPG (complex, deep and charming but extremely rough around the edges with a lovely translation and a seething hatred for the player) managed to make their third release the best modern open-world RPG on the market.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A nice quality of life thing that The Witcher 3 does is when you're told to follow someone most of the time they'll adjust their walk speed to yours. So if you start running/sprinting they'll go fast too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

muscles like this? posted:

A nice quality of life thing that The Witcher 3 does is when you're told to follow someone most of the time they'll adjust their walk speed to yours. So if you start running/sprinting they'll go fast too.

I appreciate who Red Dead Redemption sort of did this, in that it made it easier for you to catch up with whatever character asked you to come along with them.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Just had a dude beating the poo poo out of his toilet in Prison Architect, just going loving ham on the loo, water spilling into the prison from him fist beating the crapper.
Then a guard came and beat his rear end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Another cool Witcher thing:

I was wandering through the forest and came across a bunch of corpses. Nearby I encountered MORE corpses kill by a Wyvern. Upon killing them Geralt noticed the second batch were soldiers and the first were prisoners and I got a quest to go a nearby encampment. There I discovered a Quartermaster who tried to give me a quest to find his missing soldiers. Geralt cut him off and instant angrily pointed out those soldiers had executed innocent prisoners. I could then still take the gold for the quest or tell him to go gently caress off.

It's just a nice touch that I could come at it from the other direction and have Geralt notice an atrocity and go get pissed off about it instead of needing the quest first.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I appreciate who Red Dead Redemption sort of did this, in that it made it easier for you to catch up with whatever character asked you to come along with them.

That feature was great. Hold X/A and your horse will start following the one in front and matching speed. Meanwhile you can swivel around and look/shoot at whatever you damned well please.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I've been playing morrowind again after a few years, and this time I've decided not to look up any help or easy early items as well as play a paladin who doesn't steal anything.

As a rule, I like to walk to a city once before using the fast travel routes. I got ambushed on the road by a couple assholes and one of them was wearing an 80% chameleon necklace, and then wandered into a random daedric shrine between ald'ruhn and the north coast and found a staff that gives 120s of levitation. Both of those items I'll probably be using regularly for the next few tens of hours of gameplay.

The huge amount of quests and npcs, hand placed loot, and old school skill and combat system really make the more modern bethesda RPGs feel dumbed down.

Also, with MGSO it's beautiful and feels like an alien planet:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Man, I really want to get into Morrowind but the combat feels way more rough and dice roll-ish and tough to enjoy when my first Elder Scrolls games were Oblivion and Skyrim. :(

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I wonder how many replays of Morrowind were cut short by the glacial movement speed you start with... or prompted an early acquisition of the Boots of Blinding Speed (spoilered for radiatinglines).

Edit: With my first character I walked all the way from Balmora to the town where you can join the Imperial Legion (Gnisis?). That was quite a journey of it's own, because I went through the swamps instead of sticking to the roads. I don't think I ever was in danger of dying, but I definitely was cautious at the sight of every new creature. I remember revisiting that area during a Daedric quest and it definitely felt different at that point.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 20:32 on May 26, 2015

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

My first experience with Morrowind was, in the first 10 minutes, either finding or crafting (can't remember) a potion that let me jump higher than the clouds, and dying when I had no way to get back down except for falling. My last experience was my XBOX eating my level 46 character save file and quitting the game in disgust.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Efexeye posted:

My first experience with Morrowind was, in the first 10 minutes, either finding or crafting (can't remember) a potion that let me jump higher than the clouds, and dying when I had no way to get back down except for falling. My last experience was my XBOX eating my level 46 character save file and quitting the game in disgust.

You find it when the guy that originally made it falls out of the sky and dies :v:

I just recent ran through another playthrough of Morrowind after installing a bunch of graphics mods and whatnot. The nostalgia was thick and glorious.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Efexeye posted:

Scrolls of Icarian flight, on the corpse of Tarhiel, a bosmer wizard that crash lands in front of you if you follow the western road out of Seyda Neen. Fun Fact: you get three scrolls, and if you use another one right before you land, you'll survive the fall. As long as you're under the Fortify Acrobatics effect you won't take fall damage from heights at or less than your new jumping height. It's just that the effect only lasts 7 seconds while you're airborn for much longer.

Mierenneuker posted:

Edit: With my first character I walked all the way from Balmora to the town where you can join the Imperial Legion (Gnisis?). That was quite a journey of it's own, because I went through the swamps instead of sticking to the roads. I don't think I ever was in danger of dying, but I definitely was cautious at the sight of every new creature. I remember revisiting that area during a Daedric quest and it definitely felt different at that point.

Yeah Gnisis is on almost the opposite end of the continent (North/South at least), it's a journey filled with a lot of cool little dungeons

Morrowind is 120% my poo poo, I can recite much of the game's content by memory. It's the only game I owned for like 4 months and I played it so much the disc warped. My personal favorite little thing is the upgraded version of a daedric (legendary) katana, Goldbrand that is called Eltronbrand. In the original, unpatched Morrowind you had to follow a seemingly random, convoluted process to get it, and the only reason it exists is to poke at a rival NBA team, the Carolina Tarheels (which is why the idiot wizard who kills himself is named Tarhiel)

If you followed the steps properly, when you got Eltronbrand in your inventory, a script would read out saying "Go to hell, Carolina!"

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 21:06 on May 26, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

In the original, unpatched Morrowind you had to follow a seemingly random, convoluted process to get it, and the only reason it exists is to poke at a rival NBA team, the Carolina Tarheels (which is why the idiot wizard who kills himself is named Tarhiel)

If you followed the steps properly, when you got Eltronbrand in your inventory, a script would read out saying "Go to hell, Carolina!"

lmao

You know, that famous NFL team, the Ohio State University Buckeyes

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Whoops, got confused, there as an NBA player named Elton Brand who was a member of a college team that was a developers favorite team, who as a rival of the Tarheels.

I don't know poo poo about basketball I didn't learn from watching Space Jam

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 21:15 on May 26, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Elton Brand went to Duke, who are the rivals of the University of North Carolina Tar Heels.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

video games

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

gently caress Duke, and also gently caress Duke Nukem

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXoS9ycdmcY

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 21:26 on May 26, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Finally got around to playing Alien: Isolation, and I'm just amazed at how well they replicated everything about the original Alien film. It honestly feels like an Alien film in video game format, and that makes up for the clunky gameplay.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Playing Dying Light, and my favourite little thing is that someone at the dev studio obviously liked Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. There's poo poo strewn all over the city to kick people and infected in to, a lot of which looks very much like the spikes from DMoMM. And the boot doesn't use stamina. I have a personal record of 32 kicks to a group of zombies to get them over to the spikes. :black101:

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I like how delicate the main quest is in Morrowind - just how easily you can irreparably gently caress it up.

I went to meet that first guy in Balmora, and he offered his bed for me to rest on. I went to do it and accidentally stole his pillow, pissing him off and severing the strands of fate or something. They don't make'em like that any more.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captain Lavender posted:

I like how delicate the main quest is in Morrowind - just how easily you can irreparably gently caress it up.

I went to meet that first guy in Balmora, and he offered his bed for me to rest on. I went to do it and accidentally stole his pillow, pissing him off and severing the strands of fate or something. They don't make'em like that any more.

First time I ever played Morrowind I accidentally stole some ladies fork and got beat to death almost immediately after leaving the census office. Pro game design right there.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Len posted:

First time I ever played Morrowind I accidentally stole some ladies fork and got beat to death almost immediately after leaving the census office. Pro game design right there.

You could have just paid the fine of probably 1 septim lol

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If there are no guards around civilians will beat you to death for theft.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

That rules.

Welcome to morrowind motherfucker

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Omg the little birthday celebration that the villagers throw for you in animal crossing is so cute I'm gonna frickin die. :kimchi:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

radiatinglines posted:

You could have just paid the fine of probably 1 septim lol

The other guy was right. She called me a n'wah and punched me to death right on the spot.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Maybe next time don't be such an n'wah, you fetcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Captain Lavender posted:

Not only are there no "immortal" quest-centric NPCs as far as I know, but if you gently caress up the strands of fate and break the main quest there's actually another way to complete it anyway. Morrowind is an incredibly designed game. I have no evidence for it but I'm pretty sure the Tribunal expansion was explicitly designed to make breaking the game open much easier, since it gives you both a Fortify Skill spell (which you can then use as the basis for your own ultra-broken Fortify Skill spells - Fortify Mercantile 100 for 1s and never ever pay more than 1 septim for anything ever again!) and a vendor selling Grand Soul Gems (which you can use for dozens of game-breaking shenanigans) within like two rooms of each other.