Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

triplexpac posted:

You mean a professional wrestler might not have saved his money wisely after his peak years????

I thought he had and the divorce as always cleaned him out good and proper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Does hulk hogan not have a history of bad business and cocaine mountains that may have put a dent in his finances prior to the divorce?

I remember hearing Hogan complain that due to the way divorce works in Florida, he had to pay for his wife's lawyers in the case along with his own. So the lawyers were trying to drag everything out for as long as possible.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Are you telling me Hulk's web hosting company didn't put millions of dollars in his pocket? What is this world coming to?!

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

The Croc posted:

On the flip side is Jake still doing well? He always looks so happy now in the photo's i had seen.

Hall is a really sad case especially as everyone has pretty much given up on reforming him now.

He's had a couple relapses I think (which is kinda gonna happen when you're an addict for so long) but seems to have come out of them with the right ideas and be doing well in general.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hogan always was trying to get something going outside of wrestling- endorsements, movies, fast food pasta chains, meat shoes etc.- and they kept not working out. It's not surprising that he became increasingly protective of his spot since that was the one area he was consistently successful.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Maxwell Lord posted:

Hogan always was trying to get something going outside of wrestling- endorsements, movies, fast food pasta chains, meat shoes etc.- and they kept not working out. It's not surprising that he became increasingly protective of his spot since that was the one area he was consistently successful.

Well maybe if he had taken the call and gotten the Hulk Hogan Grill going instead of that crook George Foreman, he'd be a made man!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
But would he have time to promote a grill, what with him touring with Metallica?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Look, the Hulkster took some hard shots when he fought the Undertaker in PRIDE. His memory is not what it used to be.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Undertaker must have been fully grown at 9 years old to hit that hard.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Say Nothing posted:

Undertaker must have been fully grown at 9 years old to hit that hard.

He rose up from the grave full grown to tombstone Hulkamania into injury.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

natetimm posted:

He rose up from the grave full grown to tombstone Hulkamania into injury.

Hulkster got his win back later brother. HH

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Biosys posted:

He's had a couple relapses I think (which is kinda gonna happen when you're an addict for so long) but seems to have come out of them with the right ideas and be doing well in general.

Yeah I mean he slipped once or twice in the earlier days, but he also owned it and accepted it happened and didn't let it deter him. It's a hard thing to do anyway, let alone publically, but given that he spent almost 30 years blitzed out of it he's doing great.

Hall seemed to do enough to convince himself he was fine and then just put himself back into situations where he was going to relapse.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Halloween Jack posted:

Look, the Hulkster took some hard shots when he fought the Undertaker in PRIDE. His memory is not what it used to be.

Always and forever, this will be my favorite Hogan story. What in the gently caress was he thinking?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Halloween Jack posted:

Glamorama26 posted:

Always and forever, this will be my favorite Hogan story. What in the gently caress was he thinking?

wait what? Someone explain

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

1st AD posted:

wait what? Someone explain

Here's how I think it went:

The story has gotten jumbled, but basically in an interview Hogan said that when he wrestled in Japan in the late 70s he "got in the ring with some PRIDE guys and was never sure if they were going to shoot on him or not"

Since then it's become a broken telephone game of Hogan claiming he fought in PRIDE before it even existed. I think he meant to say martial arts guys but hosed it up.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
God now I want to fire up Fire Pro and do Sakuraba vs Hogan.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

triplexpac posted:

Here's how I think it went:

The story has gotten jumbled, but basically in an interview Hogan said that when he wrestled in Japan in the late 70s he "got in the ring with some PRIDE guys and was never sure if they were going to shoot on him or not"

Since then it's become a broken telephone game of Hogan claiming he fought in PRIDE before it even existed. I think he meant to say martial arts guys but hosed it up.

It was pretty much this, except when he said pride he really meant it, as he went on in the next sentence to talk about how Pride had just gotten bought up by UFC.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
also wasn't it jumbled up with him saying something like he gave the Undertaker his gimmick or finishing move, during a time period where Taker would've been like 10?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Skinty McEdger posted:

It was pretty much this, except when he said pride he really meant it, as he went on in the next sentence to talk about how Pride had just gotten bought up by UFC.

I could understand that in a brain that is steroid-, cocaine-, and concussion-addled that you could think to yourself "martial arts guys from Japan" and then transfer that thinking to PRIDE FC and then remember that you saw a thing about them being bought by the UFC. But it's a lot funnier the way it's generally told.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

haljordan posted:

Are you telling me Hulk's web hosting company didn't put millions of dollars in his pocket? What is this world coming to?!

I have a hard time believing the genius restauranteur responsible for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MqesGatCgg
could have money troubles like y'all are describing.

I looked at the menu they posted on Wrestlecrap and it's the most :effort: thing i've ever seen.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I looked at the menu they posted on Wrestlecrap and it's the most :effort: thing i've ever seen.

Worse than the Nitro Grill?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

triplexpac posted:

the Nitro Grill's puns are way better than Pastamania's

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

quote:

The situation with Alex Wright after his brain aneurism is that he's been cleared by his doctor to wrestle, but WCW wants him to sign a waiver absolving them of liability in case of a future injury stemming from this, and won't let him wrestle until he signs it. As of this point, he isn't planning on signing so unless one side changes its mind, he'll be getting paid through the end of his contract but not wrestling

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

triplexpac posted:

If you're talking about the actual food, the sports bar fare at Nitro Grill was probably okay, whereas the menu at Pastamania was basically Spaghetti-Os, by all accounts.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Nitro Grill seemed like standard casual dining stuff, like a wrestling-themed TGI Fridays.

Pastamania's menu is too vague and emphasizes building your own over specific entrees. Food court eating midwesterners who try to mix and match their own pasta are mostly going to get the blandest poo poo. And what, exactly, are those veggies? They needed a list of fully-described entrees like Hulk's Power Pasta first and the mix and match second.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hulk invented the Chipotle fast casual style, brother.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'll have the pasta with a side of pasta.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I like to believe that 'add meatball' is not an oversight or typo, you just get exactly one meatball.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

One the one hand, just at first blush it seems kind of wrong for someone to be like "Yeah, I know I had an aneurysm, but I'd still like to be able to sue you if my wrestling after having it creates some kind of complication, and if you don't like it you can pay me to do nothing."

On the other hand since this is WCW and Alex Wright was a really cool dude I'm going to assume I'm just missing something obvious that makes Team Turner in the wrong rather than my favorite German.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'll have the pasta with a side of pasta.
I like my Power Pasta with Side Bread.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Hulkios. Haha, holy poo poo.

EDIT: What the gently caress kind of pasta is "nuggets"?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

The real question is where are the Hulkaroos and Hulkayoos? Was Hogan lying?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Antonio Gnocchi?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Halloween Jack posted:

Antonio Gnocchi?

Not since Rome... And Clare was gone.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Pastamania running wild, brother...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

The real question is where are the Hulkaroos and Hulkayoos? Was Hogan lying?
Idunno about what they were called, but they definitely had Hulk-shaped pasta.

A group of Minneapolis hipsters actually got together to admire Hogan memorabilia and watch Rock'n'Wrestling while eating pasta.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I really don't want to try the clam sauce you'd get at a food court pasta stand.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Building a Las Vegas restaurant during the period in which WCW was bottoming out was probably not the best idea, but I could see something like that working if you built in in Orlando in 1997

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Building a Las Vegas restaurant during the period in which WCW was bottoming out was probably not the best idea, but I could see something like that working if you built in in Orlando in 1997

Vince has been planning an Orlando hall of fame/restaurant for decades, too. Might have gotten punchy about it after the one in NYC was a disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I haven't been to this thread in a while, have you talked about how Hogan said he wanted to fight Bret Hart in WCW, but Bret couldn't because he had a stroke? That's probably my favorite Hogan true Hollywood stories.