Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Blackchamber posted:

I only half paid attention

As soon as Kara wakes up in the DEO building Hank says that they know who she is and then Alex walks up to her and they talk as sisters. There's never any indication given that Alex was trying to keep the fact her sister was an alien secret from the DEO that I recall - only that she was trying to keep her job secret from Kara, and Kara from using her powers, because if she did, then the DEO would be forced to act against her since she's an alien threat to them.

Which is pretty silly, given that all it takes is a quick speech regarding the fact she's her sister and can handle it to change Hank's mind. Kara being Superman's cousin on it's own should have been enough, but then, if it was, we'd have no excuse for cheap melodrama I guess.

This show would be so much better if Superman didn't exist in it's continuity.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Drifter posted:

It's not a plot hole. People complaining about that poo poo seriously are loving spergs of the highest order.

Have you seen the pilot because it's a pretty big plothole.

Superman is probably referenced in every second scene and at the end of the pilot, you have a group of super powered alien escapees trying to kill Kara, you have a secret government organization literally armed with anti-Superman kryptonite weapons that have kidnapped her and its stated several times that Kara is there to protect her cousin.

It's like watching a show about a passionate dog owner except they're not allowed to say the word dog or show any pictures of a dog so you're left with a guy holding a bag of dog food for 'man's best friend' or standing outside a dog house he built for his 'four legged beast'. Its confusing and incredibly distracting for the audience.

The show doesn't need Superman to appear on it but it does need to explain why he is not physically there or even bothered to make contact with Kara since its also implied that Kara has never even seen her cousin since he pulled her from her pod and dropped her off with a bunch of complete strangers.

They just need everyone to address him by the same name and show a simple news report like 'Superman has gone into deep space to help some stranded astronauts' to explain why he doesn't just come and solve all of the problems because otherwise Superman just comes across as a gigantic dick.

The show is worth watching if they can break free from the problems in the pilot otherwise you're better off just watching reruns of Veronica Mars.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jimmy Olsen is essentially an onscreen Superman surrogate stand-in when 'he' needs to talk to her
"He told me to tell you, he's proud of you. Also here is the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby. It's an incredibly personal gift and a keep sake momento from your home planet and that's why I'm giving it to you instead of Superman."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Drifter posted:

It's not a plot hole. People complaining about that poo poo seriously are loving spergs of the highest order.

It's a show called Supergirl. About Supergirl, not Superman. it'd be cool, narratively, to have him visit or whatever, but Jimmy seems to be the Superman mouthpiece they're using, so whatever.

Now, I think the MAIN plot is kinda weird that way, but not having superman in a supergirl show isn't an issue. It's all okay, though, and not having Superman in the show shouldn't be a factor about whether you watch the show or not.

Not empty quoting. But this. It's not really an issue FOR NOW. If the entire season does it, then yes, I'll concede to it being dumb. That still won't stop me from watching the show or waiving it off though.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
So the pilot wasn't as bad as I thought it could be. Everyone else has commented on the Cousin stuff, so I'll ignore that. What seemed out of place was some of the dialogue - they'd be rambling along and then suddenly someone would open their mouth and out would come some nonsense.

What really threw me was when the sister came to the door and told Kara that she flat out shouldn't have rescued the people on the plane (including herself). It just seemed like really stupid dialogue, and I'm hoping that it's just pilotitis and the show not having found it's voice yet.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pikehead posted:

What really threw me was when the sister came to the door and told Kara that she flat out shouldn't have rescued the people on the plane (including herself). It just seemed like really stupid dialogue, and I'm hoping that it's just pilotitis and the show not having found it's voice yet.

I didn't really like any of the plot revolving around the plane. Why is the pilot circling the city in his plane with flaming engines? I realize there's not much safe landing options up in the sky, but what does circling a city do for you other than ensure increased death and destruction? Was he hoping Superman was paying attention and would come save the city and him? The plane doesn't have to be going down in the city for Kara to hear about it or for Cat Grant to use a super girl saving it to revitalize her news papers. Unless in the DC universe there's some sort of gentleman's agreement or law that only the "hometown" media is allowed to cover super heroes.

Then the little argument between Kara and her sister afterwards felt weird as hell. Kara never defends her actions with having to save her sister, and her sister clearly is trying to Man of Steel Pa Kent some poo poo while desperately trying not to come off as Pa Kent and sucks at it. Also maybe temper some of the giddy joy of flying and using your powers until after you talk about that plane crash your sister was in where she could totally still be somewhat hurt, instead of leading off with the fun powers followed by a oh, you ok?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Khanstant posted:

I'm primarily master race

...Who says this?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rarity posted:

...Who says this?
lovely pc gamers on reddit obviously

radlum
May 13, 2013
I thought the pilot was OK; the "cousin" thing was annoying but I expect it to be less recurring as the show goes on. Also, I wish Jimmy was less of straight up cool guy and was more of a dork that thinks he is cool because he is Superman's best pal and pulls it off.

Also, tone down the "girl power" aspect; don't address the MRAs, they won' t like the show no matter what.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Even if they didn't want to use Superman or say his name, why not just have Clark show up for like 2 minutes. It's not like everyone doesn't know Clark Kent=Superman.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

sbaldrick posted:

Even if they didn't want to use Superman or say his name, why not just have Clark show up for like 2 minutes. It's not like everyone doesn't know Clark Kent=Superman.

DC probably wouldn't let them. Not being able to really use Superman or say his name more than the one time they said Superman are almost certainly DC/WB directives. They believe that utilizing characters in different contexts will confuse people and thus embargo them. Because having clearly separate properties is just inconceivable.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sbaldrick posted:

Because the TV and movie universes are separate so best case scenario you cast some random guy as Superman and confuse people who know Cavill.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They could have just had a guy in his suit shot from the neck down from the back and voiced by Dean Cain and it would have added a lot more weight to the final scene then having Jimmy do it

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Agent Conveniently-Supergirls-Human-Sister AKA Scully (Not Scully)
http://i.imgur.com/GNCzFvW.png Nice haircut Scully (Not Scully)

I went in wanting to like it, because Flash and Arrow are a lot of fun and adding Supergirl to that universe would be awesome as hell, but it's just so loving bad.
Chyler Leigh is like a foot taller than Gillian Anderson so

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

Chyler Leigh is like a foot taller than Gillian Anderson so

People will complain about anything if they decide beforehand they want to complain.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Pikehead posted:

She was trying to keep Kara off her boss's poo poo list. It didn't work since Kara just turned to someone else, but that was her intention.

In general I thought it was perfectly fine. Not Amazing TV, but certainly not as bad as some people have been making it out to be.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

I didn't really like any of the plot revolving around the plane. Why is the pilot circling the city in his plane with flaming engines? I realize there's not much safe landing options up in the sky, but what does circling a city do for you other than ensure increased death and destruction? Was he hoping Superman was paying attention and would come save the city and him? The plane doesn't have to be going down in the city for Kara to hear about it or for Cat Grant to use a super girl saving it to revitalize her news papers. Unless in the DC universe there's some sort of gentleman's agreement or law that only the "hometown" media is allowed to cover super heroes.

Then the little argument between Kara and her sister afterwards felt weird as hell. Kara never defends her actions with having to save her sister, and her sister clearly is trying to Man of Steel Pa Kent some poo poo while desperately trying not to come off as Pa Kent and sucks at it. Also maybe temper some of the giddy joy of flying and using your powers until after you talk about that plane crash your sister was in where she could totally still be somewhat hurt, instead of leading off with the fun powers followed by a oh, you ok?

The scene could've been better.

Pilot: Oh poo poo, a second engine is on fire.
Other Pilot: gently caress! Two engines on fire? Oh wells, might want to send out that Mayday then

Onean posted:

She was trying to keep Kara off her boss's poo poo list. It didn't work since Kara just turned to someone else, but that was her intention.

In general I thought it was perfectly fine. Not Amazing TV, but certainly not as bad as some people have been making it out to be.

I know she was trying to get Kara to tone things down, but it just came across as really tactless.
If she'd shown up and thanked Kara, but told her that by doing so she had exposed herself to some really bad stuff in terms of publicity if anyone ever worked out who she was it would have been better.

It's definitely serviceable, and it's only the pilot. I think it'll be a good CBS show and will get at least a second season.

Pikehead fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 25, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Supergirl canceled; Powergirl to premiere.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Pikehead posted:

I know she was trying to get Kara to tone things down, but it just came across as really tactless.
If she'd shown up and thanked Kara, but told her that by doing so she had exposed herself to some really bad stuff in terms of publicity if anyone ever worked out who she was it would have been better.

It's definitely serviceable, and it's only the pilot. I think it'll be a good CBS show and will get at least a second season.

Good point, agreed.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drifter posted:

Supergirl canceled; Powergirl to premiere.

So will filling her hole be the season finale?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gyges posted:

So will filling her hole be the season finale?

Jimmy Olsen.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Powergirls TV costume would create a rift in the internet #gamergate will become #boobwindowgate.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

This is only an acceptable level of upping the outrage if it's unholy race changed uhgg black people make me so mad, James Olsen. Also her cousin told him to do it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

A lot of pilots are really bad, but the show was one of the few I just never finished watching. I kept skipping through the boring bits and realized I'd almost ended up at the 3/4ths mark. The writing was awful, the acting was just passable, the actors themselves didn't catch my eye and the constant reminders of this show existing to have female rolemodels was spelled out in everything but giant neon letters. That's great and all, but when it was presented like this it just felt super (no pun intended) fake and lacking conviction. And then there's Kryptonite being known to be a dangerous substance... somehow. And tons of tiny things that just irked me all through watching this.

Arrow had a great pilot. Flash's was ok, and at least kept your interest up. But this seems to have been infected by the terrible new Superman movie and it just made everything weird.

And I just watched the end as I wrote this and the fight scene was awful, too. drat, real shame.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

evilmiera posted:

A lot of pilots are really bad, but the show was one of the few I just never finished watching. I kept skipping through the boring bits and realized I'd almost ended up at the 3/4ths mark. The writing was awful, the acting was just passable, the actors themselves didn't catch my eye and the constant reminders of this show existing to have female rolemodels was spelled out in everything but giant neon letters. That's great and all, but when it was presented like this it just felt super (no pun intended) fake and lacking conviction. And then there's Kryptonite being known to be a dangerous substance... somehow. And tons of tiny things that just irked me all through watching this.

Arrow had a great pilot. Flash's was ok, and at least kept your interest up. But this seems to have been infected by the terrible new Superman movie and it just made everything weird.

And I just watched the end as I wrote this and the fight scene was awful, too. drat, real shame.

Sounds like you weren't really paying attention.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's honestly amazing how often "I skipped through most of this, they didn't even explain X!" gets posted here.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Skips 3/4 of episode. Complains it didn't explain anything. loving lol.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
You do realize that "evilmiera" didn't really complain about things not being explained - just that he thought it was awful in a variety of ways, right? He did miss Kryptonite's properties being a known quantity for a reason, but wasn't really complaining about it so much as just noting it. And given that several people have come to identical conclusions regarding it's quality even after watching and paying attention to the whole thing, I doubt him watching the entire episode was really going to change his mind personally.

Also, weird to note that Chrome has Krypton in it's dictionary, but not Kryptonite for some reason.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tsob posted:

Also, weird to note that Chrome has Krypton in it's dictionary, but not Kryptonite for some reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krypton

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

tsob posted:

Chemical Element 36

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

evilmiera posted:

Just about the only link between this show and Man of Steel is that her outfit ends up looking similar. The tone, setting, and history are all totally different.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

tsob posted:

You do realize that "evilmiera" didn't really complain about things not being explained - just that he thought it was awful in a variety of ways, right? He did miss Kryptonite's properties being a known quantity for a reason, but wasn't really complaining about it so much as just noting it. And given that several people have come to identical conclusions regarding it's quality even after watching and paying attention to the whole thing, I doubt him watching the entire episode was really going to change his mind personally.

Yeah, I probably missed that explanation when I started skipping stuff. It just seemed to clash with what (I think) is known about kryptonians from the movie, but overall it was just a nitpick from my side, and it was more a reaction when I saw her being shot down of "How would they even know that?" Like there was no setup to it and all of that stuff got explained later with the DEO facility. There was no real weight to it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

tsob posted:

You are the worst kind of nerd.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

supergirl definitely has better taste in whisky than her cousin

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Supergirl has X-com in her little slice of DC various verses? :stare:

Screw superheros, solve the problems with humans waves and psychic powers. :getin:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, I probably missed that explanation when I started skipping stuff. It just seemed to clash with what (I think) is known about kryptonians from the movie, but overall it was just a nitpick from my side, and it was more a reaction when I saw her being shot down of "How would they even know that?" Like there was no setup to it and all of that stuff got explained later with the DEO facility. There was no real weight to it.

That's because it has nothing to do with the movie.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

sick trigger posted:

supergirl definitely has better taste in whisky than her cousin

How does an executive assistant afford to have a bottle of Blue Label lying around, and live in a gigantic apartment?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TyrantWD posted:

How does an executive assistant afford to have a bottle of Blue Label lying around, and live in a gigantic apartment?

I'm assuming her stepparents are rich as gently caress, somehow. But yeah, that's easily a $3000+/mo apartment.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drifter posted:

I'm assuming her stepparents are rich as gently caress, somehow. But yeah, that's easily a $3000+/mo apartment.

It's Friends logic, just don't think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TyrantWD posted:

Depending on which version of Kryptonian physiology they're using she could be saving money on not having to eat, and the eye lasers do save money on expensive razors.

• Locked thread