Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Nakar posted:

The herbalist north of Oxenfurt mentioned there was a better herbalist than himself, a druid in Skellige. I got to Skellige but I have no idea where I'd go to look for druids nor which island they might be on. Roughly where is this person? I found a village herbalist but she's obviously not the person the herbalist was talking about.

If you talked to the Oxenfurt, hafling herbalist about alchemy mastery then you got a quest which pinpoints the location of said alchemist.

Please note: The guy at the end of this little hunt you're about to undertake is a total dick, but he sells a poo poo load of useful stuff when you are finally able to buy stuff from him - alot of it is really expensive. About 550 crowns a pop per superior bomb recipe.

On that exact note, I don't at all understand why superior potion recipes are like 70 crowns, but superior bombs break the loving bank. One of those things is wrong.

Edit: Also, you need white gull for superior potion recipes and also for making alchemy substances (vitriol, rebis, aether, etc.) - so you need two white gulls per superior potion, and one for superior bombs. And buying the ingredients for white gull is also expensive. I was rich when I first met that guy. I am now poor, but hey, what else am I going to spend the money on?

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lord Lambeth posted:

Some people argued in favor of Caesar's Legion so I'm not really surprised that some people like the Nilfgaardians. I guess it's a matter of presentation. The first time you likely meet the legion is in nipton, where they murdered the whole town. In Witcher 3 you meet the fairly reasonable dude in White Orchard.

Pretty much. The Nilf dudes have been pretty civil and seem to be getting things locked down, whereas the other armies just seem to shout a lot and steal from their fellow country men.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Reminder: The Bloody Baron is a subject of Nilfgard and are raping and looting in their name.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
If you have a 16:10 monitor and get annoyed at the HUD not scaling to the edges, download this http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/12/ config tool, go to the hidden tab and set vertical frame scale to 1.1111, don't use the auto setup button they did the maths wrong for it.

Nevermind that breaks the menus.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
e: double post

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

poptart_fairy posted:

Pretty much. The Nilf dudes have been pretty civil and seem to be getting things locked down, whereas the other armies just seem to shout a lot and steal from their fellow country men.

They are also stealing cows from the villages, forcing the peasant to work camps and the nice dude form the start flips the poo poo out and flogs a peasant on your second meeting.

The Witcher 3: Everyone is a dick.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

the Nilfgaardians aren't exactly progressive. (btw they practice slavery) (also everyone is starving because one army or another stole all the food) (also unprovoked war of conquest)

Nothing wrong with slavery, slaves get fed. Slave that can't work is useless. Slave owners letting them die? They were gonna die anyway. Better off being a slave, have food and shelter than to starve. And honestly? Legalizing slavery will solve a big part of the homeless problem.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Riso posted:

Reminder: The Bloody Baron is a subject of Nilfgard and are raping and looting in their name.

It's worse when the Bloody Baron leaves.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
If you go to the Nilf camp in the very southeastern part of Velen and do the contract there you'll find out that they basically do have deaths squads.

They ain't good guys.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Solartide posted:

Nothing wrong with slavery, slaves get fed. Slave that can't work is useless. Slave owners letting them die? They were gonna die anyway. Better off being a slave, have food and shelter than to starve. And honestly? Legalizing slavery will solve a big part of the homeless problem.

Please don't play our game, you don't deserve it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Riso posted:

Everyone's raping and looting, though? It's a no man's land. The Baron just happened to suck up to the biggest outside player he could find to try and make his land grab legitimate.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

poptart_fairy posted:

Everyone's raping and looting, though? It's a no man's land. The Baron just happened to suck up to the biggest outside player he could find to try and make his land grab legitimate.

Which never would have happened if the Nilfgaardians hadn't decided that the north needed a regime change.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Which never would have happened if the Nilfgaardians hadn't decided that the north needed a regime change.

Instead the raping and looting would've continued at any other place you've written raping and looting into the setting. :v:

My point is "I see no reason to hate them more than others" rather than "Nilfgaard is my flawless waifu".

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Just found Letho during the Ghost of the Past quest and completely messed up his plan. :D

Geralt's right, they would have taken his head as proof so his plan was a mess from the start.

Riso posted:

No, the Nilfgaard units in the area regard him as a nuisance who will be dealt with later. You find a letter at some point that basically says they're going to string him up as soon as things settle down.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 26, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Arglebargle III posted:

Geralt's right, they would have taken his head as proof so his plan was a mess from the start.
There's another way to solve it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

poptart_fairy posted:

Instead the raping and looting would've continued at any other place you've written raping and looting into the setting. :v:

My point is "I see no reason to hate them more than others" rather than "Nilfgaard is my flawless waifu".

And my response to that is that the reason you should hate them more than the others is because they are directly responsible for the situation. Does it matter? Is there a case to be made for saying "Well, hey, you guys did this bad thing but we have to make it work." ? Sure, but at the end of the day, foreign army in a place where no one wants them, participating in a war of conquest and theft... yeah, yeah they are worse than the other guys.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Nordlings seemed to be doing a pretty good job of raping and looting all on their own in the Upper Pontar Valley in the last game.

edit: There's a Nilf letter that you can find in Velen that basically says they're going to hang the Baron when things calm down.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Lord Lambeth posted:

In Witcher 3 you meet the fairly reasonable dude in White Orchard.

I don't know if flogging the peasant was supposed to change my opinion on Nilfgaard. The guy said he had 40 bushels of rye to tribute, but the Nilf only wanted 30. So out of that 30, he didn't bother to check if the rye he was tributing wasn't rotting? He had 10 other bushels on standby. And honestly, what kind of person doesn't take constant inventory of their food supplies during a famine? He just discover his rye was rotting?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Nilfgaardians: Not at all a lesser evil. I'm firmly in the position of "everyone in charge (of both sides) needs to go."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

And my response to that is that the reason you should hate them more than the others is because they are directly responsible for the situation. Does it matter? Is there a case to be made for saying "Well, hey, you guys did this bad thing but we have to make it work." ? Sure, but at the end of the day, foreign army in a place where no one wants them, participating in a war of conquest and theft... yeah, yeah they are worse than the other guys.

And in the previous two games the other armies were just as capable of raping, looting and doing despicable stuff as the Nilfies. No Man's Land even goes out of its way to talk about how it wasn't just the Nilfgaard that were burning villages and razing fields, so I dunno man. If Foltest had survived and been in a position to do what his enemies are doing I have no doubt he'd jump at the chance to take advantage.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Arglebargle III posted:

The Nordlings seemed to be doing a pretty good job of raping and looting all on their own in the Upper Pontar Valley in the last game.

The scale of the conflict is completely different.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

hopterque posted:

There's another way to solve it.

Still, the plan had a big hole in it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

poptart_fairy posted:

And in the previous two games the other armies were just as capable of raping, looting and doing despicable stuff as the Nilfies. No Man's Land even goes out of its way to talk about how it wasn't just the Nilfgaard that were burning villages and razing fields, so I dunno man. If Foltest had survived and been in a position to do what his enemies are doing I have no doubt he'd jump at the chance to take advantage.

But Foltest wasn't in that position so it's ridiculous to say how bad he MIGHT have been IF the entire history of the fictional world were different.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The scale of the conflict is completely different.

I think that while initially the nilfgaardians were certainly the bad guys, at the point where the game is set they are a way, way better option than radovid.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

But Foltest wasn't in that position so it's ridiculous to say how bad he MIGHT have been IF the entire history of the fictional world were different.

You're saying the Nilfgaardians are inherently bad then? I really don't know why you're taking such issue with people thinking all the armies are doing reprehensible poo poo in this game, dude.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

hopterque posted:

I think that while initially the nilfgaardians were certainly the bad guys, at the point where the game is set they are a way, way better option than radovid.

Yeah seeing as I'm prone to be biased because we've had what, 3 games of Triss now so I like her, once you see Radovid burning witches, alchemists and really anyone at the stake I'm like gently caress it bring on Emhyr.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

Yeah seeing as I'm prone to be biased because we've had what, 3 games of Triss now so I like her, once you see Radovid burning witches at the stake I'm like gently caress it bring on Emhyr.

Nilfgaardians don't really like mages either. However, their view is pragmatic: "Do what we say and you can practice you magic stuff. Don't do what we want and we'll kill you."

So it's obviously way better than a "burn everyone at the stake" policy - but generally still a pretty cold relationship.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Hey just in case people with really garbage computers are on the fence, I'm running this on a E8400, 4 gb ddr2 and a 5870 and it runs perfectly fine on low settings and still looks pretty drat great. I haven't even had a single crash.

Really impressed.

edit: on 1920x1080

HUMAN FISH fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 26, 2015

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

hopterque posted:

I mean, Radovid is the only other option because the Nilfs assassinated the other kings...

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Debating which faction is worse is kinda pointless when they are all this bad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah but the only reason Radovid is in a position to go on a witch-hunt is that Nilfgaard assassinated Foltest. A strong Temeria with Foltest in charge would have made Henselt think twice about marching into Aedirn and absolutely made it impossible for Radovid to attack Kaedwen. Temeria was pulling the hardest to keep the Northern Kingdoms politically aligned since it was on the border with Nilfgaard and could balance Kaedwen and Redania. Temeria was also the most pro-magic kingdom and leaned heavily on mages and sorceresses. But since Foltest didn't have a clear heir, Temeria could be taken out of play with one assassination. With Foltest dead and no clear heir the North descended into open warfare immediately, exactly as Emhyr planned.

tl;dr the only reason all this poo poo happened is that Nilfgaard planned it and executed it

I mean imagine if the Temple in Novigrad had started burning Foltest's advisors while he was still on the throne. We met that guy. He would have put a stop to it and fast; in fact if Foltest was still alive it's hard to imagine the Novigrad temple daring to burn his advisors regardless of their theoretical neutral status.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 26, 2015

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I need a mod that removes the Geralt talking animation where his arms rotate forward as he makes a hand gesture. It looks really unnatural wearing a sleeveless top and it's ruining my immersion.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The first thing Rodovid did when the war started? Invade his neighbor and conquer his lands. But sure, starting a war of conquest is totally the worst offense. :rolleye:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

poptart_fairy posted:

You're saying the Nilfgaardians are inherently bad then? I really don't know why you're taking such issue with people thinking all the armies are doing reprehensible poo poo in this game, dude.

Did you or did you not ask why everyone hates the Nilfgaardians??

And no, I didn't imply any such thing. You are being intentionally obstinate.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Speaking of kings, does Stennis show up in Witcher 3 in any way? I'm not expecting physical presence but a letter or something would be nice.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
Just did that cheese quest, so thanks for that craziness.

I now have a bunch of little idols I need Triss to look at...however, I'm at a point in her Now or Never quest where it auto triggers as I visit her. Now I've heard she'll stick around if you convince her to, but will she still be around in order to solve that quest or does she end up at Kaer Morhen or something? Also heard Yen can fulfill that particular duty, but how long into that quest line do I have to go for that to be an option? I'm just about to explore the Ciri related lead with her on Skellige.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Nasgate posted:

The first thing Rodovid did when the war started? Invade his neighbor and conquer his lands. But sure, starting a war of conquest is totally the worst offense. :rolleye:

That's the difference between engineering a situation and reacting to a bad situation.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
The very first thing I said regarding this discussion:

Me, from 20 minutes ago posted:

Yeah, I dunno how anyone can play through NML and not come away hating both armies.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Foltest only good king.

It is right and natural for a man to love his sister. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Foltest was a sister-fucker, but at least that's not really something that harms his or other's subjects.