Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

User-Friendly posted:

My first assumption would be announcing a tour.

They always take August off from new episodes so I'm gonna take a stab and say summer tour. But that seems tough since they all hold down steady jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Jim Belushi is joining as a new host.

:smug: Hey fellas, heard you're treatin' women, queers and ethnics like actual human beings, thought I'd come down here and straighten you out on a few points :smug:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

DoombatINC posted:

:smug: Hey fellas, heard you're treatin' women, queers and ethnics like actual human beings, thought I'd come down here and straighten you out on a few points :smug:

Cannonball!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Jim Belushi is just the worst so listening to these guys rip on him is a real treat

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
The Blind Fury episode was great, I'm so happy they loved the movie as much as I do. If you haven't seen it you should. It's really a great Zatoichi homage and a lot of fun.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DoombatINC posted:

Redpilled by Jim Belushi

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really wish Steve could've been with them for the Blind Fury episode.

Or, really, every episode. He really is the funniest one. And makes everyone else laugh so much that they try to be funnier.

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit
I find Eric to be the funniest.

Their recent mail bag episode reminded me of a movie going experience wherein I saw From Dusk Till Dawn with my parents when I was 10 (it was probably my dad's choice to watch it) and we sat through a bit of the Cheech "pussy" scene I guess thinking it would end soon and when he kept going on and on my parents made the responsible decision and left.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Yeah Eric is definitely the funniest, he reminds me of Norm Macdonald. But they're all hilarious so it's a tough contest.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Eric's delivery amplified even mediocre jokes to great ones.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I need more Eric Movie. I'd love a whole episode with Eric movie and Martin Cinemax III.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I still like the idea of Eric Movies being a hard-boiled noir Hollywood scrpit detective. and Martin Cinemax III being the sleazy "honest businessman" who's really a crime lord Eric keeps running up against but can never pin anything on.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Croisquessein posted:

The Blind Fury episode was great, I'm so happy they loved the movie as much as I do. If you haven't seen it you should. It's really a great Zatoichi homage and a lot of fun.

Movies like that are the best. Good enough to sort of enjoy watching. Bad enough to get some great jokes out of the content.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Back when I started listening I thought they were too hard on him then they read his editorial in taking care of business and holy hell they need to be harder on him

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
PSA: In the new WHM episode (:dance: Space Jam :dance:), you can freely skip the first eight minutes that's pure ads and the way-too-long announcement that they'll be on Spotify.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

In the one time this video might ever actually be relevant to a discussion, may I present the WHM Space Jam Nightmare Zone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJcDtdxRTIk

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Oh hot drat, I've been waiting for this day for some time. I just got to their discussion of the voice acting as I arrived at work and can't wait to listen to the rest at lunch!

Their hypothetical Patrick Ewing Space Jam that would be over after 9 minutes and just be New Yorkers making GBS threads all over him got me pretty good!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MisterBibs posted:

PSA: In the new WHM episode (:dance: Space Jam :dance:), you can freely skip the first eight minutes that's pure ads and the way-too-long announcement that they'll be on Spotify.

I'm disappointed with the ads but I knew it was coming when they first announced they joined Sideshow. At least they're front loaded and not in the middle like Flophouse.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I enjoy that the ads still have an element of humor to them as opposed to How Did This Get Made which is just Paul schilling poorly for ten minutes twice an episode.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm disappointed with the ads but I knew it was coming when they first announced they joined Sideshow. At least they're front loaded and not in the middle like Flophouse.
Eh, they weren't hackily done like HDTGM and they weren't the first 20 minutes of the episode like any Kevin Smith podcast, so I'm alright with them. Dudes need to pay for bandwidth and whatnot somehow.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Next week shall it be ID4 or will it be Lost World?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

I enjoy that the ads still have an element of humor to them as opposed to How Did This Get Made which is just Paul schilling poorly for ten minutes twice an episode.

I like the HDTGM ads better because it's just Paul reading from a script for a minute or two, max. WHM ads have you have everyone getting a remark or two in, maybe a derail, and an overly long explanation of what the service being hocked is.

I really don't understand how anyone can tolerate WHM's ads over HDTGM's.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 26, 2015

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

They're funny guys and they're still funny when they're talking about a sponsor's product.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I like the HDTGM ads better because it's just Paul reading from a script for a minute or two, max. WHM ads have you have everyone getting a remark or two in, maybe a derail, and an overly long explanation of what the service being hocked is.

Art Alexakis posted:

Its because [Paul Scheer]'s not funny

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

The derails are usually the funniest part of the show, so the ads are still entertaining to me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I completely agree that Paul hocking a product isn't funny. That's why them pumping in a 2-minute spiel he recorded alone is much more tolerable to me than a bunch of guys trying to out-wacky each other over some product you'll never use for 4+ minutes. You can't make "We're advertising this product to pay the bills" funny.

Who gives a poo poo what the folks at WHM care about "The Netflix Of Magazines" and/or (nonsensically) trying to make discussion of the above funny? Read the script, start talking about bad movies.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 26, 2015

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I'd rather listen to WHM be funny instead of Paul Scheer not be funny, and I can skip them both just as easily

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Eh, they have to do it, just skip it. It lets them keep doing the funny parts of the show.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MisterBibs posted:

You can't make "We're advertising this product to pay the bills" funny.

Incorrect. In fact, the old stuff when they were sponsored by Audible and gave a recommendation tied to the show was great.

And I normally listen to podcasts while I'm going to sleep so HDTGM's in the middle of the episode are really obnoxious because I ain't getting up to skip them.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015
Ugh, those WHM knuckleheads with their ads. You know, I doubt they'd go that far again. I bet they know to reign it in now. I doubt they can even pay their bills. Sad.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

BlameSpacePod posted:

Ugh, those WHM knuckleheads with their ads. You know, I doubt they'd go that far again. I bet they know to reign it in now. I doubt they can even pay their bills. Sad.

Did we just get Eric Movied?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

BlameSpacePod posted:

:aaaaa:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

In fact, the old stuff when they were sponsored by Audible and gave a recommendation tied to the show was great.

I guess you have a broader threshold for 'great' than I do. Their old Audible ads were passable for the reasons I find the HDTGM ones passable: they aren't that funny (cuz reading ads inherently isn't), but at least they were short.

I'd rather have a few 2-minute unfunny commercials in my podcasts than playing the "OK, when do they start talking about bad movies in this Bad Movie Podcast" game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I guess I don't see how you can think "C'mon stop riffing about stuff and talk about the movie!", and still enjoy WHM at all, since off topic riffs are kind of their bread and butter. I thought the ads were plenty funny myself.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Welcome to We Hate Movies, the podcast where we rank cartoon tits!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lola's hilarious because on top of being furry bait she's also pretty much a textbook badly-written "Strong Female Character". She's tough! She's capable! She don't take no guff off nobody! She can do GUY THING well even though she's a GIRL! Yeah she still needs a guy but it's on HER terms! We're also going to show you all these points in detail, possibly with a male character pointing them out for the audience, so people get it.

Whenever I see a character like that, all I can picture is the screenwriter leaning back with a self-satisfied grin and saying "take that, sexism!"

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

They gotta pay the bills. I have no problem with the ads at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
People are arguing about ads you can easily skip now?

Today. Today is the day I am officially old.

(The "cookie monster Needle in the Hay" bit was short but oh my god)

e: the Oldboy bit is probably the funniest thing they have ever done

precision fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 27, 2015

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I totally forgot about the big red furry monster until this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I totally forgot about the big red furry monster until this episode.

According to Wikipedia, his name is Gossamer.