Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012
I have the simple choice unlimited plan and will be travelling internationally to Italy. On the OP it mentions that internationally I will have 2G data speeds. On the T-mobile international roaming page, the coverage map has 3G coverage in most of Italy. Will data be at 2G or 3G speeds in these areas with indicated 3G coverage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Mr. Bubbles posted:

I have the simple choice unlimited plan and will be travelling internationally to Italy. On the OP it mentions that internationally I will have 2G data speeds. On the T-mobile international roaming page, the coverage map has 3G coverage in most of Italy. Will data be at 2G or 3G speeds in these areas with indicated 3G coverage?

The network is 3g but the speeds with be 128kbps. You can pay for faster speeds.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Burden posted:

The network is 3g but the speeds with be 128kbps. You can pay for faster speeds.

Which, it's worth noting is actually pretty decent on 3G because the latency is good. I did a week in Canada on 3g at 128k and email/maps worked fine which was 90% of what I wanted.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So T-Mobile has the Memorial Day sale this weekend on S6s where you get the 64GB for the price of the 32 with no money down and I was wondering if anyone here might be an employee or something who can tell me if they might give me some kind of credit on the 64GB I bought last Friday before I drive over there and wait in what I'm sure is an insane line to ask them and be told no. I mean technically my phone is still in the return period and even if they made me pay the $50 restocking fee and then resold me the phone it'd still be a netgain for me. They should be able to do something, right?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So T-Mobile has the Memorial Day sale this weekend on S6s where you get the 64GB for the price of the 32 with no money down and I was wondering if anyone here might be an employee or something who can tell me if they might give me some kind of credit on the 64GB I bought last Friday before I drive over there and wait in what I'm sure is an insane line to ask them and be told no. I mean technically my phone is still in the return period and even if they made me pay the $50 restocking fee and then resold me the phone it'd still be a netgain for me. They should be able to do something, right?

Yeah will give you the difference. Go to the store you bought it from, with your receipt and they will give you the $80.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Switching a Verizon iPhone 4S to TMobile is impossible, right? My Dad has an extra one but I don't want to be trapped with Verizon...

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Burden posted:

Yeah will give you the difference. Go to the store you bought it from, with your receipt and they will give you the $80.

Sweet, thank you.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Woodsy Owl posted:

Switching a Verizon iPhone 4S to TMobile is impossible, right? My Dad has an extra one but I don't want to be trapped with Verizon...

It will work fine after you ask Verizon for a SIM unlock. The 4S was the last Verizon iPhone to be SIM locked. You may have trouble finding a knowledgeable service agent. You might have luck speaking to someone in an international or global roaming department.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/aboutus/commitment/safety-security/device-unlocking-policy.html

There may be some areas where T-Mobile hasn't switched their 3G service from AWS to 1900mHz; I'm not sure if they've completed this yet. The iPhone 4S does not support the 1700/2100 AWS band, and doesn't have 4G LTE. Otherwise, you'll get relatively fast 3G on 1900mHz. If you're shopping for a plan more expensive than the $30 prepay plan, I'd also cross shop with Cricket on the AT&T network.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I'd like to pick up the new LG G4 and switch over to the TMoble Nerd plan from my current Verizon plan. I'm planning on buying the phone outright from Staples with gift cards. What I'd like to know is, if I don't like the nerd plan or I'm not happy with Tmobile service, can I cancel Tmobile and then switch over to AT&T with the same phone?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

visuvius posted:

I'd like to pick up the new LG G4 and switch over to the TMoble Nerd plan from my current Verizon plan. I'm planning on buying the phone outright from Staples with gift cards. What I'd like to know is, if I don't like the nerd plan or I'm not happy with Tmobile service, can I cancel Tmobile and then switch over to AT&T with the same phone?

Yes. But do Cricket instead if you don't like the nerd plan.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I called T-Mobile just now and the lady said that I would not be able to use the nerd plan with the new LG G4, at least not for a while. She said manufacturers don't let them put the brand new phones on prepaid plans right off the bat. Is this accurate?

Also, why Cricket?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

visuvius posted:

I called T-Mobile just now and the lady said that I would not be able to use the nerd plan with the new LG G4, at least not for a while. She said manufacturers don't let them put the brand new phones on prepaid plans right off the bat. Is this accurate?
Not accurate to my knowledge. It's entirely possible that the lady is just trying to get you to buy postpaid service.

quote:

Also, why Cricket?

Lets you get AT&T's network coverage at T-mobile prepaid pricing, basically.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

visuvius posted:

Also, why Cricket?

The customer service rep is most likely an idiot. Even if that was their policy, you could just activate a SIM, put it in the phone, and go to town. You own the loving phone. Tell them it's for an older phone. Who gives a poo poo.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

visuvius posted:

Also, why Cricket?

If the phone is unlocked (and not flagged for bad IMEI), and you put a prepaid sim in, there's nothing that can stop you but God himself.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="445801294"]
If the phone is unlocked (and not flagged for bad IMEI), and you put a prepaid sim in, there's nothing that can stop you but God himself.

Even then, God's track record with disabling prepaid phones isn't all that great.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
OK then I think I will just purchase the AT&T version of the phone from Best Buy when it launches since they're giving away all sorts of poo poo when you buy the phone there. Then, I'll activate it on T-Mobile, or Cricket. That should work right? Thanks for the help guys.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

visuvius posted:

OK then I think I will just purchase the AT&T version of the phone from Best Buy when it launches since they're giving away all sorts of poo poo when you buy the phone there. Then, I'll activate it on T-Mobile, or Cricket. That should work right? Thanks for the help guys.

Once you have the phone, it looks like you just have to go here to unlock it (could take up to two business days): https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

visuvius posted:

Make sure you actually pay the full price of the phone - it will be around $700 with tax depending on the options you get.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
So I have this plan in my head. Hopefully someone will be able to tell me if this will work. I want to get three LG G4's the weekend after they come out in stores. I live about an hour and a half from the Oregon border, where they don't have sales tax. I'm planning on driving to a T-Mobile store in Oregon, picking up the three phones for $0 down, and driving back home. This will save me almost $180 in sales tax if it will work. Am I going to run into any problems trying to do this?

Uncle Lizard fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 28, 2015

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Uncle Lizard posted:

So I have this plan in my head. Hopefully someone will be able to tell me if this will work. I want to get three LG G4's the weekend after they come out in stores. I live about an hour and a half from the Oregon border, where they don't have sales tax. I'm planning on driving to a T-Mobile store in Oregon, picking up the three phones for $0 down, and driving back home. This will save me almost $180 in sales tax if it will work. Am I going to run into any problems trying to do this?

No you won't run into any problems at all.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Considering switching from Verizon in the DC area. With the ETF reimbursement how do they know what device is being traded in? My phone is dying so I don't mind trading it, but my wife's Moto X would be moved to T-Mobile. I have an old phone I could activate before terminating.

Also does the Test Drive exist still? I'm curious how coverage is, especially on the metro. I tried opening it on my tablet but couldn't get past the map.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I did test drive in DC. IIRC, it was a iPhone 5s.

Definitely try it out so you can see how your coverage will be.

I'm good with my coverage except I get zero penetration (heh) coverage inside my building past my window office.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I did test drive in DC. IIRC, it was a iPhone 5s.

Definitely try it out so you can see how your coverage will be.

I'm good with my coverage except I get zero penetration (heh) coverage inside my building past my window office.

Is WiFi calling legit? Seems like it would fix that. My MIL's condo has no cell coverage due to the building so that seems like a solution for her (and us when visiting).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WeaselWeaz posted:

Considering switching from Verizon in the DC area. With the ETF reimbursement how do they know what device is being traded in? My phone is dying so I don't mind trading it, but my wife's Moto X would be moved to T-Mobile. I have an old phone I could activate before terminating.

Also does the Test Drive exist still? I'm curious how coverage is, especially on the metro. I tried opening it on my tablet but couldn't get past the map.
FYI, if that's a first gen Verizon Moto X, it will be lacking Band 2 LTE and AWS 3G, which will mean it will have limited usability on T-Mobile. (2nd gen will have Band 2, but is still lacking AWS, which might or might not matter - I'm not sure if DC has been refarmed or not.) She should really trade it in or sell it.

Metro service is pretty awful. The major stops have generally have LTE, but even that's not a hard and fast rule (Gallery Place, for instance, does not seem to have LTE) and the others you'll be lucky to get 3G that's unusable if there's a signal at all. There's nothing at all in the tunnels.

As noted, building penetration is bad, though we *should* be getting Band 12 coverage soon if it's not already there, but few phones support it. I get no signal in my office if I'm away from windows, and I was at Awesomecon and got no data signal (but a strong phone signal, oddly enough). Wifi calling does seem to mitigate a lot of that, however.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
DC Tmobile goon for the past year: Overall good coverage but building penetration is an issue more so than AT&T which I had before and my wife still has. For sure get a phone that supports all of Tmobiles bands as you'll have the best shot at hanging on to some kind of signal. They've been expanding into the exurbs pretty quickly around here and overall coverage has improved a lot in the last year.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
You scrubs need window offices. :smuggo:

The WiFi calling is great. My wife's iPhone 5s has it. My moto x 2014 doesn't, but she can call me using Google hangouts if I have WiFi.

Do the test drive as your daily experience will be different from other DC goons.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Evil SpongeBob posted:

You scrubs need window offices. :smuggo:
I guess this works if you never leave your office and are never in places besides your home and workplace.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I am routinely in an Oakland CA west facing window office on the 17th floor of a building and T-Mobile is definitely worse than my previous ATT/Verizon service on various Iphone 4/5 and now 6.

ATT/Verizon also used to at least barely work near the elevators but T-Mobb is done by the time I get 20 feet from the window and sometimes even right next to it trying to speak on the cell phone. They still have work to do.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Endless Mike posted:

I guess this works if you never leave your office and are never in places besides your home and workplace.

Well you are posting on SA

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm looking at picking up a Moto X pure edition. I see it lists LTE bands as 2/4/17, but 17 is listed as 700 MHz. Will that not work for band 12? How much of the LTE coverage is band 12? I also can't find the 3g or 2g bands for it. I know it shipped with a t-Mobile SIM, I just want to make sure I won't be missing anything.

If band 12 is important, what are some of the earlier phones that had it? None of the n5/m7/Moto X 13/g4 generation I can find had it. Those would be more my price range if it wasn't for a really good deal on this pure.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm looking at picking up a Moto X pure edition. I see it lists LTE bands as 2/4/17, but 17 is listed as 700 MHz. Will that not work for band 12? How much of the LTE coverage is band 12? I also can't find the 3g or 2g bands for it. I know it shipped with a t-Mobile SIM, I just want to make sure I won't be missing anything.

If band 12 is important, what are some of the earlier phones that had it? None of the n5/m7/Moto X 13/g4 generation I can find had it. Those would be more my price range if it wasn't for a really good deal on this pure.

It won't work on Band 12. If you aren't in a Band 12 area this isn't so important since everything else will work fine.

Band 17 is AT&T's 700mhz LTE band, for what it's worth.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There's more than one "700" MHz band, and they're not compatible. Band 12 is *nice* to have on T-Mobile, but not completely necessary. 2 and 4 are the important ones. Here is a complete list of all Band 12 compatible phones (as well as a coverage map). It's not very many, and none more than a year old.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's too bad. I live in CO, so it would be a nice feature to have, but unless I want a low-end phone or the mid-range but big Alcatel, they are all out of my budget.

That makes my decision simpler, I guess. Or more complex, since I can't select based on that. More clear, at least.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's too bad. I live in CO, so it would be a nice feature to have, but unless I want a low-end phone or the mid-range but big Alcatel, they are all out of my budget.

That makes my decision simpler, I guess. Or more complex, since I can't select based on that. More clear, at least.

That Alcatel phone is intriguing. Probably a smidge bigger than the 2014 Moto X but definitely smaller than the Note 4 and Nexus 6.

For the price (and Band 12 compatibility) you probably can't beat it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I didnt see this posted yet, but it looks like the 5.0 Lollipop update finally got rolled out to the Xperia Z3. So far so good on mine!

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I'm on the nerd plan and I'm using hangouts dialer to make all my calls through google voice using only data. I noticed that regardless of how good my wifi connection is, the call is always kind of crappy, but it is much more reliable through 4g.

Is there any way to have hangouts dialer use 4g and ignore wifi? I know I could do this by just disabling wifi for the call then turning it back on but I was wondering if there was a more automated way to do this.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

spiralbrain posted:

I didnt see this posted yet, but it looks like the 5.0 Lollipop update finally got rolled out to the Xperia Z3. So far so good on mine!

Got it here as well in Houston. Time to test that Band 12 at my workplace since my phone is completely useless on the first floor (luckily I work on the third floor).

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

halokiller posted:

Got it here as well in Houston. Time to test that Band 12 at my workplace since my phone is completely useless on the first floor (luckily I work on the third floor).

Awesome! Let me know if you have problems with the battery. I noticed that the charging is slow and just wondering if that is isolated to just my phone.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Anyone know what the plan is for rolling out band 12 towers in the locations already cleared? I'm in Colorado, and I see three towers on that map, but the nearest one is 60-80 miles south of me, so I'm assuming I'm not getting anything off of that. And I don't know if I'll even be living here in two years.

Basically right now I'm torn between a G2 and an Idol 3, but it looks like the Idol 3 doesn't have a scratch-resistant screen, and I had bad experiences with that with an S4. The G2 seems to have battery life and Gorilla Glass on the Idol 3, as well as being slightly smaller. The Idol's advantages, as far as I can tell, are an SD card slot, band 12, and a better front-facing camera, for all of those selfies I never take. Band 12 availability in the near future could be a tipping point.

e: Not considering the Zenfone because the $299 is out of my price range, and the $199 one seems outclassed by either pretty easily.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Anyone know what the plan is for rolling out band 12 towers in the locations already cleared? I'm in Colorado, and I see three towers on that map, but the nearest one is 60-80 miles south of me, so I'm assuming I'm not getting anything off of that. And I don't know if I'll even be living here in two years.

Basically right now I'm torn between a G2 and an Idol 3, but it looks like the Idol 3 doesn't have a scratch-resistant screen, and I had bad experiences with that with an S4. The G2 seems to have battery life and Gorilla Glass on the Idol 3, as well as being slightly smaller. The Idol's advantages, as far as I can tell, are an SD card slot, band 12, and a better front-facing camera, for all of those selfies I never take. Band 12 availability in the near future could be a tipping point.

e: Not considering the Zenfone because the $299 is out of my price range, and the $199 one seems outclassed by either pretty easily.

Get the Idol 3 and a spend 10 bux on a decent screen protector on Amazon.