Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

FreudianSlippers posted:

Did most people really not stand up to Gryff and take the beating? I thought it was obvious that he was a coward acting big and wouldn't actually do anything. Not to mention being a submissive wuss in front of all your people is probably worse than if he actually did have the guts to make good of any of his threats. Especially since the Forresters are basically a really fancy mountain clan. Strength and honour are basically all important. Subterfuge and plots are for soft Southron summer children.
I think it was heavily implied that he was going to kill your little sister if you resisted, so most people seemed to have erred on the side of caution. You can definitely tell the guy's a coward though, so I called his bluff. Also this is :GameOfThrones:, never cower to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Also this is :GameOfThrones:, never cower o anyone.

This is correct. Live free or die Stark.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I didn't stand up to Gryff because I'm HOPING TellTales anticipates that some players want to keep the Whitehills oblivious that the Forresters are acting against them especially after what Gwyn tells you.

I also just kept thinking about that old ironborn saying the entire time "What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger". My time will come.

halwain
May 31, 2011
The Mother reminds me so much of Catelyn that i think shes the "spy". Shes probably going to do several stupid things to save her kids like catelyn and is going to get most of her house killed.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I think it was heavily implied that he was going to kill your little sister if you resisted, so most people seemed to have erred on the side of caution. You can definitely tell the guy's a coward though, so I called his bluff. Also this is :GameOfThrones:, never cower to anyone.

And now I have to wonder what a :GameOfThrones: smiley would look like.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
I couldn't stay down, I just hate Gryff that much that even if it fucks up peace I can't let that brat walk all over me, you also get the best line so far if you stand up "You know what they did to me at the twins? Shred my face. Put their swords through me. Tried to smash my skull open. But they couldn't kill me. And you're not the man to finish the job."

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Ekusukariba posted:

I couldn't stay down, I just hate Gryff that much that even if it fucks up peace I can't let that brat walk all over me, you also get the best line so far if you stand up "You know what they did to me at the twins? Shred my face. Put their swords through me. Tried to smash my skull open. But they couldn't kill me. And you're not the man to finish the job."

Yeah, that line was awesome.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It's Game of Thrones, everybody you like is going to die horribly so you might as well show up every rear end in a top hat while you can.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So if you kick Britt over the edge does Finn still walk in on you?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Hakkesshu posted:

It's Telltale, you could go the whole scene pressing the bare minimum amount of buttons to not die and the result is the same.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

of course, i wish that they could have variety in things like that but it never really happens with telltale games, like how i still got yelled at for fighting Finn, even though all i did was block punches

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ekusukariba posted:

of course, i wish that they could have variety in things like that but it never really happens with telltale games, like how i still got yelled at for fighting Finn, even though all i did was block punches

I can see getting scolded for fighting regardless in an organization like the watch.

It does annoy me to know that the outcome is the same whether you kick the dude over the ledge, though.

"Oh hey buddy! I was just out for a stroll. Where is that other guy? No idea!"

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I generally don't begrudge the narrative Telltale games for their lack of lasting consequence, since I adhere to the "play once and have your personal story" formula, but the fight with Britt was seriously dumb. "I don't want to fight!" - slices Britt on the stomach. Chops the guy's arm off "I think were done here". Like, what the hell was that supposed to be, there's no choice to be had to even end it on a less violent way, I could either kill him or make him die, since I don't suppose he'll survive the ordeal, and what's the purpose behind mutilating him anyway - he'll surely not like me more after that. That wasn't even a spur of the moment decision, I could've waited on the choice screen for ages.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Looks like I'm the only person that thinks that Duncan is the spy. Royland is too dumb to be a spy. Lady Forrester wouldn't ruin any chance to rescue her son. The Maester seems entirely too obvious to me. Duncan is the guy that Lord Forrester trusted to tell about the North Grove. He's smart. He knows the Forrester's are hosed. It doesn't appear that the Whitehills know about the North Grove yet. Maybe Duncan is keeping that to himself, I don't know.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Looks like I'm the only person that thinks that Duncan is the spy. Royland is too dumb to be a spy. Lady Forrester wouldn't ruin any chance to rescue her son. The Maester seems entirely too obvious to me. Duncan is the guy that Lord Forrester trusted to tell about the North Grove. He's smart. He knows the Forrester's are hosed. It doesn't appear that the Whitehills know about the North Grove yet. Maybe Duncan is keeping that to himself, I don't know.

Yeah man I'm with you! Catelyn wouldn't ruin any chance to rescue her kids either right?

Oh wait, actually

She literally fucks up everything and leads to one of the most brutal betrayals in the books

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Stephen9001 posted:

And now I have to wonder what a :GameOfThrones: smiley would look like.

:v: leading into getting hit with arrows from all directions, or blindsided by a boar.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

There's no real way the spy isn't the maester. He asks the badguy to maybe not completely shred your dude's arm off and instead of provoking him to do it he listens to the maester. That's like the single thing he even does this episode, like it was included just to remind you he exists. Also the mother acting suspicious *immediately* after you find out there is a spy is waaaaay too on the nose.

Would still like it if it were Duncan or Royland.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

kater posted:

There's no real way the spy isn't the maester. He asks the badguy to maybe not completely shred your dude's arm off and instead of provoking him to do it he listens to the maester. That's like the single thing he even does this episode, like it was included just to remind you he exists. Also the mother acting suspicious *immediately* after you find out there is a spy is waaaaay too on the nose.

Would still like it if it were Duncan or Royland.

He's been acting slightly weirdly since literally the very first episode. When he's sewing up your arm and subtly pushes you for information on what Lord Forrester told you before he died. I'd go like 90% to be him and 10% to be the mother.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Maybe they are both the spy. :monocle:

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Welcome to episode 3 where everything blows up in your face.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Or as it's known, halfway through any telltale game series

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Dogen posted:

Or as it's known, halfway through any telltale game series

Are you on Steam?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Anyone know what that patch was for?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Probably for audio issues, during the last section half the people didn't have voices for me if i picked duncan as sentinal

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Secret ending confirmed.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Ever since Episode 2, I have been playing Rodrik as a tree that has already broken because it refused to bend, and even after breaking it doesn't bow to the whims of the storm, roots planted firm. He refused to kiss the ring. He knocked the poo poo out of the one soldier with a wine glass when they were mocking his brother. And when Gryff started beating the crap out if him, Rodrik took it without a word and stood back up every time. He didn't attack Rodrik. He actually kept his advisors back when they tried to help him. But three times he fell, and three times he rose, until some Whitehill soldiers of all people voiced their concern over Gryff's actions.

Rodrik has nothing left but his pride--- and by extension, his House's pride. If he gives that up, he truly will be Rodrik the Ruined. If he gives that up, a blight will form in the roots that will kill the tree slowly, even if it survives the storm.

Even if it means endangering members of his family. The tree itself is what is important. The House must be saved, even if some branches are sheared.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
:siren:New Episode drops May 26th:siren:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The Telltale store version was released last night already apparently

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

While those of us with the Steam version get to play the "Is it updating yet? drat." game.

I'm laying even odds that Gryff doesn't survive the episode.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Dolash posted:

While those of us with the Steam version get to play the "Is it updating yet? drat." game.

Mine's updating now, FWIW.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Some good moments in this episode, but it's getting to the point now that I don't really care which option I choose because things are just going to get even more hosed up somehow.

Like, Ramsay turning up at the end of the episode. Why is he back here? Anyway, smashing Gryff's face in with the cane was therapeutic at least but I know that that's going to backfire somehow when we make the trade.

Fatcat214
Feb 19, 2015

Party Poogie
"Call his bluff"

not so high and mighty now, are you ludd :smuggo:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Frankston posted:

Some good moments in this episode, but it's getting to the point now that I don't really care which option I choose because things are just going to get even more hosed up somehow.

Like, Ramsay turning up at the end of the episode. Why is he back here? Anyway, smashing Gryff's face in with the cane was therapeutic at least but I know that that's going to backfire somehow when we make the trade.
Yeah, the game's been good but Ramsay in this game just feels like Edgy McEdgelord to me instead of feeling genuinely creepy and threatening. May be a problem in the source itself but I wouldn't really know for sure.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, the game's been good but Ramsay in this game just feels like Edgy McEdgelord to me instead of feeling genuinely creepy and threatening. May be a problem in the source itself but I wouldn't really knwo for sure.

Yeah that's pretty much what he is in the show too. I'd say he is more cartoonishly evil than Jeoffrey at this point.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

He's just a depraved maniac without any real limitations set on him

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So who else threw Sera under the buswagon?

I was so sure she was a spy for Queen Cersei, but after overhearing Sera's conversation with Margery I'm not so certain.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Pththya-lyi posted:

So who else threw Sera under the buswagon?

I was so sure she was a spy for Queen Cersei, but after overhearing Sera's conversation with Margery I'm not so certain.

I barely remembered any of my decisions this game, and after having the Night's Watch decide to kill me no matter what, I just engaged sociopath mode and did whatever I felt like. I beat the poo poo out of Gryff, told Dany about my friend, let her kill her former master, and sold out Sera because who cares? Might as well use people like pawns while I can.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

I kind of don't give a poo poo about Margery's anger because we all know what she's up to these days.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gotta say I'm enjoying Tales from the Borderlands so much more than this one. I think I'm just going to pick the crazy choices and kill as many people as possible.

Mira is dumb. I want to do as much as I can to get her killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Gotta say I'm enjoying Tales from the Borderlands so much more than this one. I think I'm just going to pick the crazy choices and kill as many people as possible.

Mira is dumb. I want to do as much as I can to get her killed.

Do I need to know anything about Borderlands to enjoy the TellTale game?

• Locked thread