Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uranus posted:

what do you think about merk?

how can you read this last couple pages and decide to talk about vidjagaymes instead?

I'm starting to think towards LUTR, but I can't change my nomination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I still can't believe Merk just left wanting people to vote him.

CzarTim
Oct 2, 2012

Only as you gasp your dying breath shall you understand, your life amounted to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean.

Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?
Look Under seems genuine, but I don't know merk well enough to tell if that's his usual game.

Give boon to somber anyway

imgay posted:

Tim, if you ever check out the blizzard forum, check out my heroes of the storm sales thread.

Have they added more Brightwing skins since I last played three months ago? I have the royal one and it's rad.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is a monkey bright wing skin too.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Look Under The Rock posted:

##nominate somberbrero

LUTR, any particular reason you nominated Somber? At this point, Somber had 2 votes (among a few others with 1) and merk had only just started being obnoxious about getting the boon himself (and no votes at all). I can appreciate that right now I can only nominate somber as an anti-merk, but you were on him well before then.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

LUTR, any particular reason you nominated Somber? At this point, Somber had 2 votes (among a few others with 1) and merk had only just started being obnoxious about getting the boon himself (and no votes at all). I can appreciate that right now I can only nominate somber as an anti-merk, but you were on him well before then.

1. Not allowed to nominate self
2. Every game I've played with Somber he's played incredibly smart so
3. In absence of any standout town reads I trust him the most with it and
4. He has pledged to have my back and has yet to let me down on that, also
5. [redacted ongoing game discussion but he knows what he did]

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

1. Not allowed to nominate self
2. Every game I've played with Somber he's played incredibly smart so
3. In absence of any standout town reads I trust him the most with it and
4. He has pledged to have my back and has yet to let me down on that, also
5. [redacted ongoing game discussion but he knows what he did]

Fair enough if it's based on stuff outside this game. I don't have that kind of understanding of either somber or merk.

##nominate merk

Asking for the boon is totally reasonable if his claim is actually true, and it seems more likely to me that he's kind of an rear end and not necessarily scum. Since I don't have a real strong read on either somber or merk, I'd rather give it to the guy who claims to get some extra use out of it. At the very least it has the chance of being verifiable.

Hopefully your concern that he's setting himself up to get all the boons no questions asked:

Yeah I don't know why people think this is going to be verifiable. Basically Merk is setting himself up to receive all the boons in the game and that is a pretty dangerous thing that's happening if he's scum or possibly third party with a win condition based on receiving boons

won't happen after the way he's acted through this whole thing.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Yeah I don't know why people think this is going to be verifiable. Basically Merk is setting himself up to receive all the boons in the game and that is a pretty dangerous thing that's happening if he's scum or possibly third party with a win condition based on receiving boons

Because agreeing to a single instance is obviously setting my opinion for the rest of the game.

It's day 1, I'm willing to trust someone that has put themselves forward. Especially I have done the exact same thing myself as town.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

uranus posted:

thats fine

what do you think about the way merk went about trying to get the boon for himself?

what do you think about the way he interacted with someone who thought he was scummy?

I think the way Merk went about getting the boon is legit. If true, and he does get extra benefits from boons and is town, then declaring that is so when a boon comes up makes sense. Like all power roles, keeping it a secret until it becomes useful.

He could be running a gambit of some sort, sure, but it's a day 1 boon, worst case scenario (outside of super imbalanced ideas like permanent death proof) he'll get a vig and shoot a town which...if a random town person got it, is likely to be the case anyway. Day 1 vig drops = dead town 75% of the time.

I think he was being merk in regards to his reactions to someone calling him scummy. He is a lawyer and he has a tendency to rile up people that target him while sitting behind a desk with a smug look on his face.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Being a lawyer, do you think Merk knew what he was typing when he asked people to vote for him?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Nomination Count
uranus - 1
GulagDolls - 1
imgay - 1
Somberbrero - 4
merk - 6

Not nominating anyone is PERPETUAL IDIOT, WHICH WAY MADNESS, merk and Somberbrero

Power might give with these crazy rear end storms, so I'm calling it..

-----

merk steps forward before the restless spirit with the tattered tome in hand and begins to pray.

A strong gust of wind filled the shrine and spread throughout the mountaintop. A heaviness had been lifted and merk stepped down from the shrine with a cape made from the light flowing all around him. On his shoulders, opalescent clasps bound the cape to his tunic. When the light faded, a finely patterned cape that had been decorated with shining precious metals hung from his epaulets.

Praying and being nominated was redundant. DM call.
He can tell you about the cape if he wants to tomorrow.

The spirit of the goddess had been pleased, and the elected champion had been justly rewarded. A calm fell over the mountain pass, and you returned to Villagetown where you are celebrated in the guildhall for a job well done.

"Rest well adventurers, I'll need your services again this evening. A wizard from the academy has promised gold and a boon if we can handle his strange request quietly. He said he has an unwanted guest in his laboratory that he just can't seem to get rid of. Seems simple enough. Magic-types, pfft. Present company excluded of course. The next rounds on me." The guildmaster explains before ordering a round of Dwarven Stout for the party.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

welp

:suicide:

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

GG is there a deadline?

CzarTim
Oct 2, 2012

Only as you gasp your dying breath shall you understand, your life amounted to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean.

capes are so third edition

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I am like 80% sure that cape is a 1-shot bulletproof thing.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Votecount for Day 1

merk (4): Look Under The Rock, GulagDolls, King Burgundy, uranus
Samfucius (1): Somberbrero
uranus (1): merk, Orvin, merk
Orvin (1): Look Under The Rock, Samfucius, GulagDolls, Look Under The Rock, GulagDolls
CzarTim (1): WHICH WAY MADNESS
WHICH WAY MADNESS (1): MC Eating Disorder
King Burgundy (1): merk
Somberbrero (0): GulagDolls, GulagDolls
imgay (0): MC Eating Disorder, MC Eating Disorder
GulagDolls (0): uranus, uranus

Not Voting (6): Amnistar, chaoslord, CzarTim, imgay, Kleedrac, PERPETUAL IDIOT

With 16 alive, it's 9 votes to lynch. The current deadline is May 29th, 2015 at 6 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 2 days, 18 hours.

For some reason the votefinder post vote count isn't working.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Chaoslord, King Burgundy, Look Under the Rock, MCED

You find yourself waking to a room lit by phosphorescent mists swirling in and out, shimmering eddies propelled by some unseen force. As you stir, you notice three other individuals next to you. They seem as startled as you are.

Wordlessly, you walk forward through a stone hallway where the mists do not follow, held at bay by the effects of strange blue torches lining the wall. You walk for long enough, you wonder if there is an end, but eventually you step forward into a circular room with a raised dais. You would estimate it is 100 feet in diameter.

At the center of the dais, four mirrors are facing you. You step closer to inspect them, only to find that they do not cast reflections, but strange scenes far removed from your present situation.

At the Malachite Mirror, you see a warrior clad in iron and leather, gasping for breath above a fallen enemy. Ahead of him, you can see a significant number of men in dark purple cloth and chainmail encircling soldiers who look like his comrades at arms. They're fighting back, but for how long?

At the Platinum Mirror, you see a scholar in robes lined with the same blue flame you witnessed on the torches. He's rubbing at his temples, a hefty tome in front of him. Something seems to be causing him a considerable amount of frustration.

At the Tungsten Mirror, there is a scene of chaos. Rocks are falling from the ceiling of an underground cavern as dwarves flee in front of them. Occasionally the mirror will reorient so that hulking shapes are visible in the distance. Then you see it, a dwarf with a broken leg crawling forward desperately in an attempt to outrun a section of the rock ceiling that is coming away right above him.

At the Cinnabar Mirror, several well-dressed nobles are shouting over an ornate wooden table, a detailed map laid across its oaken surface. You can hear the words, but it's clear that there is heavy disagreement over a subject. Eventually one of them slams the table with his fist and walks out, and the others follow suit. Then there is one woman alone, sitting at the head of the table. Her hands are steepled in concentration.

Which mirror will you chose?

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Somber is this a flavor thing I can join?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I'll bite. Platinum mirror.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Spell boon backwards haha

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Anyone that declines to participate in Somberbrero ' s fluff is getting voted by me.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I choose the oculus mirror, everyone is dead now.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Tungsten Mirror

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

I'll bite. Platinum mirror.

Boldly, Rock steps forward through the gleaming floor-length mirror. Both disappear.

LUTR Only

You are looking out through a stranger's eyes. Even through the ever-present light of your robes, the words appear a little faint, giving you a slight headache. You know somehow that you've been over this passage time and time again, even though you should have no knowledge of the runes lining the page. Annoyed, you steady your mind and a burst of focus redoubles your efforts.

You sit there for another two hours, maybe three, but at least it becomes clear. Exhausted, you creak back in your chair and laugh. The reason it was so difficult to read these runes, you realize, is that they predate anything you've seen before. These are the Odyr Runes, the oldest known written language, written by a powerful civilization laid low by an unknown force centuries ago. The laughter stops as you begin to make connections. This isn't just a tome, it's a spell; one of the oldest and strongest you've ever seen. You can only guess, but it seems to be a binding spell, granting absolute power over the beings of the elemental plane.

Your brow furrows in worry. Could introducing magic this powerful be dangerous? If your research were presented to the Cadre, it could change the science of spellcasting in ways you would never begin to guess. The possibilities are infinite, and therefore infinitely dangerous.

Will you present your information to the Cadre, or will you secure it so that it could only be found by a mage of similar understanding?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

King Burgundy posted:

Tungsten Mirror

Tomorrow.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to bed, talk to you guys later.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

imgay posted:

Somber is this a flavor thing I can join?

I am sorry, but I cannot offer truth to those who are not willing to seek it.

King Burgundy posted:

Tungsten Mirror

Following the lead of Rock, King steps forward through the Tungsten Mirror, which begins to glow a deep red and then disappears.

King Only

There's barely time to process where you are, much less who. Your point of view is much lower, and you know that you are a dwarf. You are young, for a dwarf, but you've seen battle. Nothing like what is destroying your home though, whatever that may be.

The older dwarf fleeing behind you with the broken leg won't make it, the boulder above him has just come away and he is too slow. Time seems to slow for a moment a dozen factors and considerations come into play. Your father who died in battle, the time you were saved by a dwarven ranger during a disastrous journey through the shallows of The Beneath, the rocks that are beginning to block the exit ahead of you. Then in an instant, they vanish. You are you. This is your choice.

Do you save the older dwarf, risking your life, or do you continue to retreat, knowing that escape may be otherwise impossible?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Somberbrero posted:

Following the lead of Rock, King steps forward through the Tungsten Mirror, which begins to glow a deep red and then disappears.

King Only

There's barely time to process where you are, much less who. Your point of view is much lower, and you know that you are a dwarf. You are young, for a dwarf, but you've seen battle. Nothing like what is destroying your home though, whatever that may be.

The older dwarf fleeing behind you with the broken leg won't make it, the boulder above him has just come away and he is too slow. Time seems to slow for a moment a dozen factors and considerations come into play. Your father who died in battle, the time you were saved by a dwarven ranger during a disastrous journey through the shallows of The Beneath, the rocks that are beginning to block the exit ahead of you. Then in an instant, they vanish. You are you. This is your choice.

Do you save the older dwarf, risking your life, or do you continue to retreat, knowing that escape may be otherwise impossible?

save

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Present.
I'm lawful, knowledge must be shared, not kept.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know what this poo poo is Somber, but I'm down

Cinnabar Mirror

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Amnistar posted:

Anyone that declines to participate in Somberbrero ' s fluff is getting voted by me.

uhhhh why?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Merk looks relatively scummy out of the shitfight surrounding this boon but you look way worse with your contributions and now this poo poo.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Reading it again, merk comes off as not that different to his usual play. He might be scum, but he's basically become a huge target for any investigative roles tonight so I don't want to vote him today just in case he's actually telling the truth. Meanwhile amnistar has been constantly making ridiculous and bad arguments since the very beginning, even before the merk shitfight

##vote amnistar look at his post history and tell me I'm wrong, people

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
like basically just absolutely reaching at every step of the way, casting aspersions like magic missles, and making a huge amount of noise without generating any real content.

I strongly recommend anyone voting merk switches to amnistar, and we'll find out the truth about merk later.

CzarTim
Oct 2, 2012

Also, WWM hasn't posted since confirming.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CzarTim posted:

Also, WWM hasn't posted since confirming.

good point, whats your opinion on that?

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
Masters, I'm sorry to bring this to your attention but I've grown increasingly concerned about Master Amnistar. I shall try to answer some of this but observe:

Amnistar posted:

I don't buy the argument that pushing to be nominated makes someone scum....
Perhaps Master Amnistar didn't think this through but many times when the great Wizard offers a boon to the party it is the ones with selfishness in their hearts who desire it most regardless of whom would use it for the greater good.

Amnistar posted:

Ideal play for any town when a reward is being given out: Insure that it goes to themselves, for they KNOW that they are town and can only GUESS that others are.
Given that each member of the party may only vote for another aren't we all concerned that whomever we vote for we are only guessing at their alignment? Certainly I am sure of my own alignment but as I am unable to nominate myself (and realistically I am but a lowly henchman anyhow) this statement rings hollow!

Now I also nominated Master Merk as he had exclaimed he would receive additional power for holding boons - and as it is early in our trek I don't mind seeing if Master Merk may be trusted in this way - but we must all be wary for the agents of darkness are among us to be sure and I know we shall lose some of our number before this adventure comes to a close. For the moment Master Amnistar has raised my suspicions and I must: ##Vote: Amnistar though I pray to the light that he may yet be redeemed.

On the subject of the discourse between Master Merk and Mistress LutR I have faith that you will come to an accord for the greater good - I see the light within your words and believe you are both trying to help the party. Beg pardon this intrusion and let me know if I may shine your swords or polish your staves.

CzarTim
Oct 2, 2012

MC Eating Disorder posted:

good point, whats your opinion on that?

He also hasn't made any posts on SA since then so I guess we'll see if he gets replaced.

I'm reading through the thread again, and I guess I'm not really feeling Amnistar as scum. Samfucius on the other hand has not commented at all on the merk / lutr thing or much of anything tbh.

##vote Samfucius

This is my first vote here so I look forward to being hilariously wrong.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

CzarTim posted:

He also hasn't made any posts on SA since then so I guess we'll see if he gets replaced.

I'm reading through the thread again, and I guess I'm not really feeling Amnistar as scum. Samfucius on the other hand has not commented at all on the merk / lutr thing or much of anything tbh.

##vote Samfucius

This is my first vote here so I look forward to being hilariously wrong.

You're new, right? When I was new I did that thing where I hedged my posts with "lol but I might be totally wrong" and jus so you know if you weren't new I'd be voting you right now for setting yourself up for a town flip on me in a way where you can laugh it off.

I've been there, break the habit, be bombastic. You'll have a lot more fun too, I swear.

I haven't commented on the merk thing because I always think merk is scummy. I always want to let him ride out D1 so I can see how he deals with actual flips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

CzarTim posted:

Look Under seems genuine, but I don't know merk well enough to tell if that's his usual game.

Also lol at the guy voting me for not having an opinion on LUTR and merk having this as his official opinion.

This isn't an opinion either but you're pretending it is.

• Locked thread