Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Actually I just watched Bianca's episode of In Bed With Joan a couple days ago, and she said she had never met Ru before the show.

Ru must have heard of her through Lady Bunny, but it's not like they were old friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostsYouCanDanceTo
Sep 23, 2005

Didn't Bianca host the season premier parties with Michelle?I assume she'd have some sort of relationship with World of Wonder because of that.

Monkeypoop
May 2, 2003

Your One True God
Just got back from the Drag Queens of Comedy show, and Willam got robbed. Shangela went on too long (about 4-5 minutes after the signal to wrap it up), so good ol' Willam was only on for about 10 minutes. Great show, though. Lady Bunny even managed to screw up the lip synch on her pre-recorded "Laugh-In" routine, cementing her title as "Sloppiest Queen In The Land."

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

I believe Bianca went on record at one point saying even though she knew Lady Bunny season 6 was the first time she got to meet and work with Ru.

Edit:

Last night's recap episode was really boring.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
That music video was just poo poo.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I had totally forgotten that it was on, I watched the first act and then skipped to Bianca.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
All the recap did was make me remember how much better other seasons were.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Plastic surgery is not doing Sharon Needles any favors. She was nearly unrecognizable. She looked Morgan McMichaels doing a Sharon Needles impersonation.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Nihonniboku posted:

Plastic surgery is not doing Sharon Needles any favors. She was nearly unrecognizable. She looked Morgan McMichaels doing a Sharon Needles impersonation.

That one is actually intentional. She has said before she is a huge fan of people that just look off like Joan Rivers and Amanda Lapore.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CHiRAL posted:

That one is actually intentional. She has said before she is a huge fan of people that just look off like Joan Rivers and Amanda Lapore.

Ha, okay. That's a relief. I knew that she had been doing plastic surgery. I thought that the look in the episode tonight had been an extension of that. Glad to know that she was exaggerating her plastic surgery look.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I really want a show that's just Alaska Wintour 5000. That and Katya + Ginger In A Loading Dock Smoking should be the two new world of wonder shows that come out of this season

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Katya and Ginger smoking in a loading dock while Alaska Wintour does talking heads about it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Katya and Ginger harassing people at a bus stop

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

angerbeet posted:

Katya and Ginger harassing people at a bus stop
This feels like something that already happens

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Tendai posted:

This feels like something that already happens

Yes. But it needs to happen on camera. Weekly. Forever.

PostsYouCanDanceTo
Sep 23, 2005

I still want a show of Bianca and Adore on a road trip performing shows in all 50 states where we meet queens and other members of local gay communities.

But I feel this could be a good fit for Katya. Katya Cross-Cuntry. "Life on the road is such a drag". This fall on Ovation!

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.
Oh nooo, they removed RPDR from my country's Netflix :( Just as I was rewatching season 4, too!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

PostsYouCanDanceTo posted:

I still want a show of Bianca and Adore on a road trip performing shows in all 50 states where we meet queens and other members of local gay communities.

A RuPaul version of Priscilla Queen of the Desert. This just sounds so obvious, that I'm shocked it hasn't been done yet.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PostsYouCanDanceTo posted:

But I feel this could be a good fit for Katya. Katya Cross-Cuntry. "Life on the road is such a drag". This fall on Ovation!
Katya and Alaska.

"From Alaska to Russia"

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Tendai posted:

Katya and Alaska.

"From Alaska to Russia"

"I can see Katya from my heels!"

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Nihonniboku posted:

A RuPaul version of Priscilla Queen of the Desert. This just sounds so obvious, that I'm shocked it hasn't been done yet.

Well, I'm sure now the producers will see this and make it a challenge come season 8!

I wish I could nail down what was so off about this season. I agree with the general assessment of "boring" but what were the primary factors that made the show lackluster? I think group challenge saturation was a factor, reducing opportunities to stand out (yeah, I guess that's part of the challenge, but still). While I appreciate some of the editing changes, I had a very strong feeling the "old versus young" angle of the last few episodes was HIGHLY exaggerated. Pearl's laid back personality and Violet's confidence are both awesome, but I suppose certain producers don't think those make exciting TV?

At this stage I'd be happy with Violet or Pearl in lieu of Katya. Ginger does have the talent, but honestly she's bringing nothing that new or innovative that we haven't seen on other queens before.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Well, I'm sure now the producers will see this and make it a challenge come season 8!

I wish I could nail down what was so off about this season. I agree with the general assessment of "boring" but what were the primary factors that made the show lackluster? I think group challenge saturation was a factor, reducing opportunities to stand out (yeah, I guess that's part of the challenge, but still). While I appreciate some of the editing changes, I had a very strong feeling the "old versus young" angle of the last few episodes was HIGHLY exaggerated. Pearl's laid back personality and Violet's confidence are both awesome, but I suppose certain producers don't think those make exciting TV?

At this stage I'd be happy with Violet or Pearl in lieu of Katya. Ginger does have the talent, but honestly she's bringing nothing that new or innovative that we haven't seen on other queens before.

It feels like, to me anyway, that they focused more on witty catchphrases and funny gif opportunities rather than actually spotlighting the contestants. Remember that scene with Fame and Katya talking about their sobriety and how it may have gotten a reaction from you? But then those moments just didn't happen anymore because LOL We need Ginger to say "How is she though?" because the world needs more memes.

That's how this season felt for me. It really lacked substance and even though we know a lot about Katya now it's because she came out and told all of us via social media or youtube, not because it came out much on the show. It really seems like they tried to make these queens more into caricatures rather than actual people we can identify with.

Hell, one of the reasons Bianca grew on everyone was because of her workroom banter with the other contestants, like letting Adore borrow a cincher or trying to help Trinity with her personal issues. I could be completely wrong and full of it, but I really think this season ultimately lacked that aspect that we all loved about the show. If I wanted to see a bunch of ladies in bad makeup saying canned things I'd just watch The Real Housewives of _____.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

It's just classic media stagnation syndrome, at a certain point you end up focusing on producing the indicators of a good show rather than a show with the characteristics that created those indicators in the first place.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
The struggle is real :j:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

It's sad I was more entertained by this episode than by most in this season. That and I tuned out when they all lauded that Kennedy Hello Kitty lipsync. No. Just no. No ma'am Pam. "Who the gently caress is Pam?" Adore, never loving change, I love you.

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

yeah, not a lot of tv shows can stay good for eight seasons

this has been the star trek: enterprise of drag race

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Echo Video posted:

yeah, not a lot of tv shows can stay good for eight seasons

this has been the star trek: enterprise of drag race

This one didn't even last seven apparently, haha.

Hopefully Ru will be inspired by being a judge on the UK version of Drag Race that is filming this year (my info is correct, right?).

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Nihonniboku posted:

This one didn't even last seven apparently, haha.

Hopefully Ru will be inspired by being a judge on the UK version of Drag Race that is filming this year (my info is correct, right?).

Yup. 10pm Monday June 1st it airs. http://www.trudrag.co.uk/

I don't know it this means they see RPDR or RPDR UK Ambassador.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Nihonniboku posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwLoo3x7D90

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I really wonder what Ru's honest reaction to this season is since clearly he had a very definite idea of what he wanted the show to be, which was pretty much the exact opposite of what the audience was hoping for and expecting.

I mean, Ru's been fairly "gently caress all you motherfuckers, my show my rules," but he will have gone completely and utterly insane if he writes off everything that's been said.

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.
My problem with season 7, aside from too many group and acting challenges, is that the episodes felt really rushed. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it felt like they didn't have enough time to focus on anything. A bunch of choppy scenes happen, which feel more like previews than anything, and suddenly it's time for the runway and it's like... what? Already? But I haven't learned anything about the queens!

Maybe I'll feel differently about it when I rewatch the whole thing. At least Untucked was really good. I liked seeing the queens hanging out and chatting without any manufactured drama.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Yeah, someone mentioned earlier in the thread that it was the lack of workroom scenes was throwing the episodes off. Untucked seems like compensation for that and it's pretty telling that Untucked was also the best thing about this season.

I'd say this is the Worst Season but then I remembered I never even bothered to finish S3, it was that dull. This must be kinda what it felt like to invest season 3 all the way through back when it aired. So disappointing.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I've said it before, I'll say it again. The biggest problem with this season was the utter lack of talent. After seven seasons, Ru is really starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel for drag talent in this country. Sure, the plethora of the acting challenges were a problem, and the lack of werkroom scenes were a problem, but the biggest problem was the talent. To the extent that the one standout queen from this season was booted out at 5.

It's pretty clear that the reason for the two month delay of the premiere of the season was that they realized what a dud it was, and that they needed more time to go back and edit it.

Next season needs to be a full-on All Stars season. A full order of episodes, not a limited run of 6 episodes with team pairings. It's what people want, and it'll give Ru time to do an extensive proper search for drag talent for a fully new season in two years.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This season DID produce the phrase "a worm stole my credit card ONCE" and I will say that poo poo until the day I die, though.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

Next season needs to be a full-on All Stars season. A full order of episodes, not a limited run of 6 episodes with team pairings. It's what people want, and it'll give Ru time to do an extensive proper search for drag talent for a fully new season in two years.

Hear hear.

I get the feeling that Logo is playing hard-to-get on All Stars 2. The demand for a new All Stars has been high for ages, but there hasn't been even a hint of actual news. Maybe that's just the TV biz, but seriously, there's a whole stable of talent that desperately wants to get back on the tube, might as well use it instead of trying to get us to fall in love with Pearl for a good 12 episodes.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Fully agreeing with the Allstars sentiment; I'd love to see what Alaska and Katya could do in a team challenge together.

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

I changed my avatar :dance:

EDIT: If there was an AllStars 2, who would be in it? Other than Alaska and Katya, of course.

Fantastisk fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 28, 2015

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Fantastisk posted:

I changed my avatar :dance:
It really is the best.

WoW is doing that whole countdown which featured a "BEST SEASON 7 CATCHPHRASES!" and Katya recites that loving bullshit awesomeness from memory.

The endless attempts at manufacturing quotes and catchphrases was extremely irritating, but that entire speech will go down as the best thing out of Season 7.

Fantastisk posted:

EDIT: If there was an AllStars 2, who would be in it? Other than Alaska and Katya, of course.
Adore's a shoe-in. I hope they re-hire Willam and then fire her again, and what the gently caress, bring back Pandora and throw her under the bus again somehow.

Because nothing makes me cackle maniacally more than a bummed out Pandora Boxx.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

caligulamprey posted:

It really is the best.

Adore's a shoe-in. I hope they re-hire Willam and then fire her again, and what the gently caress, bring back Pandora and throw her under the bus again somehow.

Because nothing makes me cackle maniacally more than a bummed out Pandora Boxx.

Pandora Boxx always looks bummed out. She was at drag fest in the crowd watching Sherry Vine and was literally right next to me. I leaned over to my girlfriend and said,

"Hey, isn't that Pandora Boxx?"

"Yep."

"Want to say something or get a picture?"

"Nah. She looks sad."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My boss walked in on me typing that entire last bit (his reaction being "I DON'T CARE IF YOU GOOF OFF," thank god), which then spiraled into a five minute conversation where I broke down Drag Race for him. It was pretty fantastic.

CaptainScraps posted:

Pandora Boxx always looks bummed out.
I have Pandora's stank face from that first episode of All Stars burned into memory. I've never seen defeat so perfectly defined than the moment Pandora got paired with Mimi. Take a photo, put it in the dictionary, we're done.

Pandora Boxx: the Pagliacci of drag.

(That's not true: somewhere along the way, Pandora forgot the clown part of of the "sad clown" stereotype)

• Locked thread