Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Speculating on the next Animation Damnation episode, the obvious pairing with Space Jam would be that awful Lunatics Unleashed series, but I hope they stick to the sports/animal theme and go with the Mighty Ducks cartoon.

Or hell, go all the way right into Mutant League

Vakal fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

precision posted:

People are arguing about ads you can easily skip now?

It's about ethics in advertising.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

weekly font posted:

And I normally listen to podcasts while I'm going to sleep so HDTGM's in the middle of the episode are really obnoxious because I ain't getting up to skip them.

I wish I could listen to WHM while I'm going to sleep, but they've got their theme song at the end and it's loud as poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gyges posted:

I wish I could listen to WHM while I'm going to sleep, but they've got their theme song at the end and it's loud as poo poo.

I've tried to do this and it's really hard to fall asleep while you're laughing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love how offended Andrew seemed to be at the very notion of cartoon characters getting along with each other when not "performing".

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Evil Mastermind posted:

I love how offended Andrew seemed to be at the very notion of cartoon characters getting along with each other when not "performing".

That was great, but they justified it pretty well by comparing it with Rodger Rabbit, which establishes an off-screen world where toons are just performers and have their own personal lives, whereas the Looney Toons don't have any such world established, they just interrupt the broadcast for more importan poo poo.

:goonsay:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

MisterBibs posted:

You can't make "We're advertising this product to pay the bills" funny.

Kinda off topic but somebody's never heard Ron & Fez do live reads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf_rhHYUrSI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HysykOPK4dU
(the live read that got Ron banned from doing live reads) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9L6MRL74Vo

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

That was a fantastic episode, I especially liked the Cookie Monster and slavery parts. I was so glad when Steve was naming his starting roster and got to four players, then there was a tangent, he made sure to finish the list and name his fifth player.

Also, ESPN's 30 for 30 did a fantastic short documentary parody on Space Jam that Warner Bros cooperated with, it's a nice chaser to the episode: https://screen.yahoo.com/30-30-space-jam-game-155008766.html

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Croisquessein posted:

That was great, but they justified it pretty well by comparing it with Rodger Rabbit, which establishes an off-screen world where toons are just performers and have their own personal lives, whereas the Looney Toons don't have any such world established, they just interrupt the broadcast for more importan poo poo.

:goonsay:
That's actually the new Loony Tunes cartoon; Bugs and Daffy and everyone just live in the 'burbs. It's about as funny as you'd expect.

Oh, and Lola's in it too, but then changed her from "tough girl" to "airhead stalker".

Mojo Threepwood posted:

That was a fantastic episode, I especially liked the Cookie Monster and slavery parts. I was so glad when Steve was naming his starting roster and got to four players, then there was a tangent, he made sure to finish the list and name his fifth player.
I was so confused when Steve of all people started rattling off basketball stats like they were the most obvious thing.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

bobkatt013 posted:

Next week shall it be ID4 or will it be Lost World?

I listened to one of the mailbags recently and they mentioned Lost World as a 'stay tuned', also pretty sure they have mentioned their enjoyment of ID4 in a few episodes, definitely going to be Lost World.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Tender Bender posted:

I guess I don't see how you can think "C'mon stop riffing about stuff and talk about the movie!", and still enjoy WHM at all, since off topic riffs are kind of their bread and butter. I thought the ads were plenty funny myself.

It's true, the best bits are only tangentially related to whatever they are talking about. It's usually the derail of a derail that has the most surreal and ridiculous parts, and then one of them has to go begrudgingly "but anyway back to this lovely movie". I loved this episode, too. I hope it's The Lost World, but that feels kind of ... obvious. He has a whole lot of lovely movies in his filmography (bless his heart).

E: He = Jeff Goldblum.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Firstborn posted:

It's true, the best bits are only tangentially related to whatever they are talking about. It's usually the derail of a derail that has the most surreal and ridiculous parts, and then one of them has to go begrudgingly "but anyway back to this lovely movie". I loved this episode, too. I hope it's The Lost World, but that feels kind of ... obvious. He has a whole lot of lovely movies in his filmography (bless his heart).

E: He = Jeff Goldblum.

Yeah but how many of them are summer blockbusters?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah but how many of them are summer blockbusters?

Oh, dang. I forgot we are getting into the summer blockbusters! Good call.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Every now and then they'll announce a movie and I'll get really excited to hear them talk about a certain part and then they just gloss over it. Doesn't happen a lot but it bums me out when it does. There's no way they're gonna pass up a chance to tear into that gymnastics scene.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Isn't the gymnastics scene straight from the book?

Space Jam was a great episode, but those three are idiots if they don't like Quick Change. That movie is hilarious. :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Brocktoon posted:

Isn't the gymnastics scene straight from the book?

Space Jam was a great episode, but those three are idiots if they don't like Quick Change. That movie is hilarious.

Well one or two of them seemed to not even remember what it was. That's a great movie but it has a way of making people forget it exists.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I still don't get the point of Lola Bunny.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They wanted to add a female character, which is a good goal to have, they just totally screwed up the execution.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

We'd gotten the idea that little girls should be able to see people of their own gender do cool stuff in media, but we hadn't perfected it yet.

But don't worry, we'll probably have it down by the year 2525

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mojo Threepwood posted:

That was a fantastic episode, I especially liked the Cookie Monster and slavery parts.

I thought it was really funny even if the urban legend about Cookie Monster not being allowed to eat cookies anymore is literally a decade old and still going strong.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I figured they were just referencing the "cookies are a sometimes food" thing, not believing that he doesn't eat cookies at all. I think it's bullshit too, I like my Cookie Monster to be a hopeless addict. I refuse to accept that his diet could contain non-cookies.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Yeah Eric is definitely the funniest, he reminds me of Norm Macdonald. But they're all hilarious so it's a tough contest.

Like Norm Macdonald, I didn't like Eric too much at first but now I find him fantastic. Even if he is bad at impressions, which loop around from being bad into being incredible, and three-fourths of them sound like Dracula.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Like Norm Macdonald, I didn't like Eric too much at first but now I find him fantastic. Even if he is bad at impressions, which loop around from being bad into being incredible, and three-fourths of them sound like Dracula.

You know, to bring up an old bit from We Hate Movies, I would totally watch Broadway Danny Dracula

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You know, to bring up an old bit from We Hate Movies, I would totally watch Broadway Danny Dracula

Also Secret Nazi Dracula.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Boners, I presume.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

I can't tell their voices apart but one of them keeps moving away from the mic and loving up the sound levels. someone compress that poo poo or do something.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I don't mind the ads as long as they keep them at the beginning. I did like that somebody posted that the start of the episode was 8 minutes in because I usually try to skip to the theme song and it would have taken me a bit to figure out where that was, what with so much before the actual start.

Speaking of that theme song, it sucks and has always sucked. I still miss the different music in the beginning, though at this point they've probably done more episodes with that theme song than without.

Have to give them credit for the song they use when they do horror movies, that's probably the best podcast theme out there.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Also, welcome to the forums, new user "BlameSpacePod". Though you registered in February, looks like last page was your first post. I hope you enjoy everyone's comments about how they can't tell the voices of the WHM crew apart. I was one of them, once long ago, but I feel like after you listen to enough episodes that goes away.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I only got on board after the theme song was in, so it always seems a little weird going back to the archive and not having it there. Also I don't mind it, it's totally OK for theme music. I've definitely heard a few podcasts try to go for theme music and end up making... ill-advised choices.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Yeah, I like the theme song. It's so much better than HDTGM or Worst Idea of All Time's new one. Goodness that one's awful.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

weekly font posted:

Every now and then they'll announce a movie and I'll get really excited to hear them talk about a certain part and then they just gloss over it. Doesn't happen a lot but it bums me out when it does. There's no way they're gonna pass up a chance to tear into that gymnastics scene.

I had this feeling when they did Foodfight and not once mentioned the poo poo weasel.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Arturo Ui posted:

I had this feeling when they did Foodfight and not once mentioned the poo poo weasel.

To be fair there is so much in the movie to talk about

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

thrawn527 posted:

They wanted to add a female character, which is a good goal to have, they just totally screwed up the execution.

She exists solely to "prove" that Bugs is heterosexual. It's a really weird idea.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BlameSpacePod posted:

Ugh, those WHM knuckleheads with their ads. You know, I doubt they'd go that far again. I bet they know to reign it in now. I doubt they can even pay their bills. Sad.

...wait a minute...

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Bolek posted:

I can't tell their voices apart but one of them keeps moving away from the mic and loving up the sound levels. someone compress that poo poo or do something.

I don't recall that happening unless it's part of a joke (yelling as someone far away or something)

She exists solely to "prove" that Bugs is heterosexual. It's a really weird idea.

It's kind of like Aunt Harriet for Batman, really!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Bolek posted:

See, I used to have this problem, but I learned eventually.

Steve is the one with the nerdiest voice. Andrew is the one who's on every episode. Eric is the calmest, and Chris is the angriest.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It's kind of like Aunt Harriet for Batman, really!
Not quite as camp and didn't backfire in the same way. On the one hand Aunt Harriet is almost like a gently caress you kind of joke to people who think it's weird that this wealthy older man is living with his "adopted son" in a huge mansion. Give them a gossiping old biddy, that wouldn't be gay at all. On the other hand, Lola Bunny has got a lot to answer for re: almost surely a big hand in creating furries.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I have no idea how you can still get upset about any ads in podcasts at this time when 99% of all podcasts have them. Even Tom Scharpling started shilling Squarespace when he relaunched The Best Show. It's just a thing you have to skip through.

I guess the exception is stuff like the MaxFun shows, where they mostly do ads for other shows on their network.

I agree that I liked their old audiobook recommendations though, that was a nice way of tying them into the episode.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Illinois Smith posted:

I agree that I liked their old audiobook recommendations though, that was a nice way of tying them into the episode.

If you going to do an ad do it right, and this is pretty much the best way. The audience got a book recommendation and audible got its plug.

That only really works for a store with a bit of variety and if the people doing the plug get a choice in what particular items they mention, but for those cases it does actually make for an interesting ad.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

See, I used to have this problem, but I learned eventually.

Steve is the one with the nerdiest voice. Andrew is the one who's on every episode. Eric is the calmest, and Chris is the angriest.

Wait theres four of them! Man I must of listened to even episode and I always though there was just three in the crew.

I should probably get my ears checked or something...
....also pretty terrible at names.

getting old :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
They don't really do eps with all four guys. Andrew's the host / guy who drives the discussion along so he's the only one that's always there.

Eric is the one with the deep voice, Steve is the nerdiest-sounding one. Chris is the one who isn't all that funny but knows a lot of stuff. It took me a while too but you eventually learn to tell them apart.