Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Ciaphas posted:

:stare: That thing is cool as poo poo and kind of makes me want to do Thaumcraft again.

If it weren't for the damned research thing that is (or dealing with warp for not dealing with research) :argh:

Why use config to turn warp off completely ("wuss_mode") and the cheat sheet on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Acne Rain posted:

Why use config to turn warp off completely ("wuss_mode") and the cheat sheet on?

Because Azanor's THATS MY FETISH ~vision~ means you lose all Eldritch research for turning his darling babby warp off.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Well his eldritch research has driven HIM mad, it isn't like you should get a better deal :colbert:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Oh right. Well if you want eldritch, just quit after you get the cheat sheet and then wuss mode back off!
I guess you would then have to do the eldritch research. I don't think there's any cool machines in that tab but w/e

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You can get the best of both worlds by leaving warp on, reading a cheat book to get all the research, and then entering the command

code:
/thaumcraft warp <player> <add | set> <amount> < PERM | TEMP >
so in my case

code:
/thaumcraft warp Mzbundifund set 0 PERM
Would set my warp to 0, without undoing any of my researches. Considering you still need to tech up to better wands and things to make any of the thaumcraft items, I don't really see this as circumventing the tech tree, such as it is.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Gilok posted:

Well his eldritch research has driven HIM mad, it isn't like you should get a better deal :colbert:

His bad deal, like most of the terrible assholes in MC modding is his own doing.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

StealthArcher posted:

Because Azanor's THATS MY FETISH ~vision~ means you lose all Eldritch research for turning his darling babby warp off.

Wait, you do? I have what I presume to be a full Eldritch tab in my cheat-sheeted Thaumonomicon and I've had warp disabled from the start.

Is there something beyond the primordial-pearl based multiblock alchemical furnace? Maybe I'm a version or two behind...

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Fortis posted:

Wait, you do? I have what I presume to be a full Eldritch tab in my cheat-sheeted Thaumonomicon and I've had warp disabled from the start.

Is there something beyond the primordial-pearl based multiblock alchemical furnace? Maybe I'm a version or two behind...

Well, you used to, if he's changed that good for him i guess, though tbh I've never cheatied around it so i don't know if that's specifically a way to get around it.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

StealthArcher posted:

Well, you used to, if he's changed that good for him i guess, though tbh I've never cheatied around it so i don't know if that's specifically a way to get around it.

Oh, then it's probably only possible to have it without warp enabled if you use the cheat sheet. Don't the first bits of Eldritch research rely on getting warp? So it's not so much a "you're locked out because gently caress you" as much as it is that the starting condition for the research never triggers.

Unless the Eldritch tab straight-up goes away if you have it researched but then disable warp in the configs, if that's the case then it's definitely a "gently caress you, got my vision".

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I add mods to a mod pack, how do I stop technic from removing my mods? (When said modpack updates.)

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Don't update / make your own pack.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Or save extra copies of those mods and add them back in with every update.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Ugh I hate dealing with minecraft mods. I've just been trying to play OMP i and have been going on quite a trip to get this to work. First I had to go through it crashing at about the same points for like 3 different reasons and now it's just not responding on the main screen until it eventually crashes.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It crashes on the main menu? Before you even open load a save? That's a bit surprising. Have you messed with the modpack in any way or are you just running it using the mods and configurations it had when you downloaded it through the launcher? How much memory have you assigned to it? OMP is a big pack and will not be able to run without much memory.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i did it boys... i update the heck out of my mod pack... and now it no longer crashes

Pretty hosed Up when you accidentally drop a 1.8 mod in a pack and Forge crashes before the client even starts up with cryptic stack traces and no error messages

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Mzbundifund posted:

It crashes on the main menu? Before you even open load a save? That's a bit surprising. Have you messed with the modpack in any way or are you just running it using the mods and configurations it had when you downloaded it through the launcher? How much memory have you assigned to it? OMP is a big pack and will not be able to run without much memory.

Completely clean install with 4 gigs of memory with the latest version of Java. I had originally given it too little memory but that was one of the first problems I fixed.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Hagop posted:

Back on the OMPi is slow loading talk. I google Java setting for MC, trying to remember what the flag was that you used to have to set in Technic to make big packs work and found these.

Java 7:
-Xmn2G -Xss4M -Xms4G -Xmx4G -XX:+UseLargePages -XX:PermSize=256M -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+UseStringCache -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+UseCompressedStrings -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -Xincgc -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=10000 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:ParallelGCThreads=10 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

Java 8:
-Xmn2G -Xss4M -Xms4G -Xmx4G -XX:+UseLargePages -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -Xincgc -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=10000 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:ParallelGCThreads=10 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

The Java 7 version about halved my OMPi load time. So if things are still slow for you give that a try.

Thanks for that, seems to help with Modderation: PermaBanned as well, though I haven't done extensive testing for play stability/speed. :)

I have the following setup on my server (uses Cauldron 1307 currently) at home as well, but then I only host up to five players at any one time without extensive machinery. :)

quote:

# From http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1986370-java-7-8-command-line-options-for-minecraft-servers-clients/
# Also some from http://journeymap.techbrew.net/help/wiki/Performance_Optimization
Java 7:
-Xmn2G -Xss4M -Xms2G -Xmx4G -XX:+UseLargePages -XX:PermSize=256M -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+UseStringCache -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -Xincgc -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=10000 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:ParallelGCThreads=10 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

Java 8:
-Xmn1G -Xss4M -Xms2G -Xmx4G -XX:NewSize=512M -XX:SurvivorRatio=2 -d64 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+UseLargePages -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -Xincgc -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=10000 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:ParallelGCThreads=6 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mzbundifund posted:

Less complaining about ponies more posting cool machines

I've been experimenting with Technomancy since StealthArcher added it to the latest OMP-i, and it's got some pretty neat stuff in it. After a few tests I discovered the Essentia Dynamo produces 96,000 RF per Ignis essentia, which is more than enough to power a galvanized bellows (RF consuming device that fuels alchemical furnaces). Here I've got a glacial precipitator pumping infinite snowballs into the furnace which is melted down into Gelum essentia, centrifuged down into Perditio and Ignis. This is basically a magic reactor that runs on water. The Everfull Urn provides infinite water, so it's upkeepless forever. It looks super cool too! Thaumcraft is spergy but man its blocks do have style.

Seriously, Thaumcraft would be such an awesome mod if Azanor could pull his "~vision~" out of his rear end and strip out research and just have the Thuamonomicon being an in-game reference book. The mod already has progression of sorts after, it's not like you can jump straight to silverwood pimpcanes at the start.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
OMP-i with a second update. StealthArcher, I hate to keep bugging you, but are you any closer to a server version?

Also, I found minetweaker recipemaker, a Minetweaker GUI recipe editor within Minecraft. Only supports crafting grid recipes so far, but looks pretty helpful.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Alkydere posted:

Seriously, Thaumcraft would be such an awesome mod if Azanor could pull his "~vision~" out of his rear end and strip out research and just have the Thuamonomicon being an in-game reference book. The mod already has progression of sorts after, it's not like you can jump straight to silverwood pimpcanes at the start.

i think research is fun even for the 100th time but then again i'm a gay retard

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Turtlicious posted:

When I add mods to a mod pack, how do I stop technic from removing my mods? (When said modpack updates.)
This is why, whenever I get a modpack updated and tweaked with added/removed mods just right, I always bring it over to MultiMC. It'll be preserved forever, ready to play one double-click away, instead of breaking like Technic/ATLauncher/FTB if there's an update, or the host goes down, or the platform changes.

Also, because ATLauncher and FTB straight up wouldn't even start last time my internet was down all day.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Alkydere posted:

If you don't gate the fun behind ridiculous grind you're not a ~real~ modder.

I liked the ideas and machines in Gregtech (especially the electrolysis), but holy gently caress if the time and material requirements weren't ridiculous. Also his obsession with making the player experience as hostile as possible.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
So... I had a bigreactor filled with the gelid cryo thing.

Now I added a turbine. Is the gelid cryo thing doing anything besides looking cool now?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

GotLag posted:

If you don't gate the fun behind ridiculous grind you're not a ~real~ modder.

I liked the ideas and machines in Gregtech (especially the electrolysis), but holy gently caress if the time and material requirements weren't ridiculous. Also his obsession with making the player experience as hostile as possible.

Yeah I really liked his lightning rods and endgame fusion tech and that it was legit hard as poo poo to get enough chromium to do that stuff even in a modpack that otherwise made a lot of poo poo easy. Too bad he was too far up his own rear end to just make that poo poo into a decent mod that meshed well with other tech mods in spirit and scope and scale. :smith:

Also his machines and only his machines giving a poo poo about rain was infuriating.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

StealthArcher posted:

That, and I don't play Minecraft offline very often if at all. I probably just should, since it's not like I ever do much with anyone else on e.g. Modderation or OMPi except bum charged certus off of them. :shrug:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

chairface posted:

Yeah I really liked his lightning rods and endgame fusion tech and that it was legit hard as poo poo to get enough chromium to do that stuff even in a modpack that otherwise made a lot of poo poo easy. Too bad he was too far up his own rear end to just make that poo poo into a decent mod that meshed well with other tech mods in spirit and scope and scale. :smith:
The only reason I was ever able to build a fusion ring was because someone else on our server had set up a 24/7 automated Enderman farm+trap - all of which required other mods. From memory, something like 1300 pearls were required for the full fusion assembly.

chairface posted:

Also his machines and only his machines giving a poo poo about rain was infuriating.
In IC2 breaking a machine with anything not a wrench would make it drop a metal block instead of the tool. I could deal with that, it's fair enough that you have to disassemble a machine with some care.
In Gregtech the machine exploded, but not until it had sent out packets of electricity to fry other cables and machines. Greg even patched this to make it send the packets in increasing size so it would cause as much damage to connected machines and wiring as possible.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Truga posted:

So... I had a bigreactor filled with the gelid cryo thing.

Now I added a turbine. Is the gelid cryo thing doing anything besides looking cool now?

i found a most efficient setup online,

Reactor 7x7x3 9 Fuel rods 3x3 in middle, resonant ender cooling, (rods all on max out)
Fluid ports on top.

Turbine above 7x7x17

Internal height 15
29 Ludicrite Blocks thats 3 layers + 5 blocks at the bottom

Provides 26,000 RF/T at a fuel usage of 0.06 MB/t @ 1830 RPM (1870 MB/t steam setting)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

GotLag posted:

The only reason I was ever able to build a fusion ring was because someone else on our server had set up a 24/7 automated Enderman farm+trap - all of which required other mods. From memory, something like 1300 pearls were required for the full fusion assembly.

In IC2 breaking a machine with anything not a wrench would make it drop a metal block instead of the tool. I could deal with that, it's fair enough that you have to disassemble a machine with some care.
In Gregtech the machine exploded, but not until it had sent out packets of electricity to fry other cables and machines. Greg even patched this to make it send the packets in increasing size so it would cause as much damage to connected machines and wiring as possible.

What? I hope he at least made that configurable.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Sorry, I misremembered. It was actually 3,072, as per this page.
Those 192 beryllium cells each require 16 ground-up ender pearls to be electrolysed to produce. Or you could grind and electrolyse 1,856 emeralds instead to get the beryllium. All this in addition to the 6,144 copper ingots, 280 pieces of iridium ore, etc etc.

Fun city!

Edit: also, the 384 chrome ingots required 3,456 piles of ruby dust, each of which comes from grinding one ruby, or spinning 10 redstone in a centrifuge for 350 seconds.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 27, 2015

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The thing about breaking an IC2 machine getting you a machine block gets better. If you used a wrench, that didn't mean you got the machine back. It meant you probably got the machine back. There was a chance, I think 10%, that you'd get a machine block anyway. Due to people complaining about this, the electric wrench was given a lossless mode that was guaranteed to get you back the machine block, but it used so much power that you could only do it once, then you had to recharge your wrench.

Why? Because gently caress you, that's why.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

MechaCrash posted:

The thing about breaking an IC2 machine getting you a machine block gets better. If you used a wrench, that didn't mean you got the machine back. It meant you probably got the machine back. There was a chance, I think 10%, that you'd get a machine block anyway. Due to people complaining about this, the electric wrench was given a lossless mode that was guaranteed to get you back the machine block, but it used so much power that you could only do it once, then you had to recharge your wrench.

Why? Because gently caress you, that's why.

And of course lossless mode was off by default, so you had to remember to turn it on first! ATLauncher hangs when it gets to the splash screen. Any ideas?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

GotLag posted:

Sorry, I misremembered. It was actually 3,072, as per this page.
Those 192 beryllium cells each require 16 ground-up ender pearls to be electrolysed to produce. Or you could grind and electrolyse 1,856 emeralds instead to get the beryllium. All this in addition to the 6,144 copper ingots, 280 pieces of iridium ore, etc etc.

Fun city!

Edit: also, the 384 chrome ingots required 3,456 piles of ruby dust, each of which comes from grinding one ruby, or spinning 10 redstone in a centrifuge for 350 seconds.
Where are people even supposed to be getting all this poo poo? If this were Equivalent Exchange and you were setting up generators so strong they shat out diamonds every few seconds then maybe, but what's the solution here, just go to the End and run around with a looting sword for hours on end? I mean, it always seems like some of the most resource-heavy mods are the same ones that provide no new way of getting the items they demand. How many mods add new recipes for nether stars? Tons! How many mods add a new way to get Nether Stars? Or even wither skeleton skulls? I can think of maybe two or three, and that's including Equivalent Exchange again.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TheresaJayne posted:

Provides 26,000 RF/T at a fuel usage of 0.06 MB/t @ 1830 RPM (1870 MB/t steam setting)

This seems an awfully low number to me. I'm getting 23k RF/t out of my enderium coil turbine at 900rpm at 18% power setting (82% inserted rods), with 16 total fuel rods (4 rods, 4 tall each), and only a 7x7x10 turbine.

I'd go for 1800rpm and get some 55k out of it, but I don't have enough cyanite yet for all those turbine paddles.

Also, haha efficiency, I'm swimming in uranium ore thanks to a single MFR laser drill :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Truga posted:

This seems an awfully low number to me.
They may be using a different pack with a different power output multiplier. Also, I never really hit the books on Big Reactors, but my intuition is that the same methods for passive cooling are not what one would want for active cooling. So I am not so sure about that resonant ender when actively cooling.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

That, and I don't play Minecraft offline very often if at all. I probably just should, since it's not like I ever do much with anyone else on e.g. Modderation or OMPi except bum charged certus off of them. :shrug:

Come on OMPI, get on teamspeak (or just catch me when im online) and I'll feed you a shitton of aspects for research. That'll help you get along with it. :unsmith:

One time only offer! But I have a soft spot for people frustrated at the research game of thaumcraft, because when they break through we get stuff like this:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

They may be using a different pack with a different power output multiplier. Also, I never really hit the books on Big Reactors, but my intuition is that the same methods for passive cooling are not what one would want for active cooling. So I am not so sure about that resonant ender when actively cooling.

I *think* OMP i might have a higher multiplier.

Also, I'm pretty sure the passive coolant doesn't do anything for active cooled reactors.

e: Also, I implemented a simple PID controller for turbines with OpenComputers. It regulates turbine speed via control rod insertion, rather than limiting steam intake. I tried to do it with energy stored (so as to not waste power), but the 1 million RF buffer turbine has is too low and response time for the turbine is like 30 seconds, so it just keeps alternating between 0 and 100%.

Is there any way to connect opencomputers to enderio? A couple of those 50 million cells should be plenty large enough buffer for PID to settle down easily.

edit 2: Is there any way to upgrade what top tier enderio conduits can handle? Can I edit a config, or will I have to drag 10 conduits around my base when I build my second turbine?

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 27, 2015

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Truga posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure the passive coolant doesn't do anything for active cooled reactors.

Using passive coolant in an actively cooled reactor should give you a huge boost to steam production, if the Big Reactor Simulator website is correct.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Huh, you're right. It's huge. Wonder why no guides ever mentioned that. (thanks for mentioning the simulator btw, I now know I need 3 turbines :v:

Either way, I'm using cryo gel, because I couldn't be bothered removing it after upgrading. I guess it was a good move after all.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I posted a screenshot of my reactor setup in my irc channel, and my bro asked "does the RPM wobble as the load on generator changes?" and I was like "nah, that's not how power in mincraft works, unforunately", but it got me thinking.

Unforunately, I can't set the load on coil per % like I can with control rods on the reactor, but I can turn it on/off 20 times per second. It's not huge, but it should be enough for a basic PWM and get a 1 second duty cycle in increments of 5%.

This means I can make the turbine spin at a constant 1800 RPM for maximum efficiency, and simply vary the amount of power produced by changing the duty cycle.

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Vib Rib posted:

Where are people even supposed to be getting all this poo poo? If this were Equivalent Exchange and you were setting up generators so strong they shat out diamonds every few seconds then maybe, but what's the solution here, just go to the End and run around with a looting sword for hours on end? I mean, it always seems like some of the most resource-heavy mods are the same ones that provide no new way of getting the items they demand. How many mods add new recipes for nether stars? Tons! How many mods add a new way to get Nether Stars? Or even wither skeleton skulls? I can think of maybe two or three, and that's including Equivalent Exchange again.

Gregtech fucks with ore gen now. So that stuff generates in huge 3x3 chunk 50 z-level veins. So with any decent automated mining setup(which GT does not have) getting the raw material for things is not even all that hard. Now producing that power and and machinery to process that raw material in a reasonable time frame, that's hard.

Weembles posted:

Using passive coolant in an actively cooled reactor should give you a huge boost to steam production, if the Big Reactor Simulator website is correct.

According to that web site the best mb/mb you can get out of an active cooled reactor comes from a checker board of graphite/fuel rod, with an one thick re shell. Efficiency increases with all size increases, but you get a rate limit exceeded warning at 9x9x3. Which I assume means the numbers get fictional at the point, or maybe that you just need to bump a config file.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 27, 2015