Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

It used to be trainsignal. They were on par/slightly below CBT nuggets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

m.hache posted:

That's still a ridiculous amount of information to have on hand at any time though. I can't imagine memorizing even a portion of it and have it be useful.

The test are really tough for people who aren't already immersed daily into the environments. Even with test environments a lot of the poo poo they were asking on the tests were so out of scope from what I thought I was supposed to be studying it wasn't funny. I'm sitting here setting up DCs using powershell, working with core setups and understanding as much of the features provided as possible and they ask me questions "Which menu can you find memory NUMA settings". 2 seconds of actually being able to click through the menu system I could discover this information and yet that's how they qualify my expertise on the test.

I feel like the tests should be more "When would you want to adjust your NUMA settings" or "What situation would you want to configure NIC Teaming".

When I was going to school for my degree in Education we were required to take a class on testing methodologies - it was basically a class that trained us how to write tests that actually covered the material we taught, and wasn't some sort of "gotcha" game. It's been 17 years since I took the class, but basically it boiled down to you, as the test writer, making sure the test was validated (i.e. not covering minutiae that was never discussed or covered). It seems to me that maybe the Microsoft test writers should take a course on that, rather than going up to one of the programmers and asking him to come up with a couple questions to ask about his esoteric application that runs in the background and no one really works with (x100).

But hey, what the hell do I know.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Daylen Drazzi posted:

When I was going to school for my degree in Education we were required to take a class on testing methodologies - it was basically a class that trained us how to write tests that actually covered the material we taught, and wasn't some sort of "gotcha" game. It's been 17 years since I took the class, but basically it boiled down to you, as the test writer, making sure the test was validated (i.e. not covering minutiae that was never discussed or covered). It seems to me that maybe the Microsoft test writers should take a course on that, rather than going up to one of the programmers and asking him to come up with a couple questions to ask about his esoteric application that runs in the background and no one really works with (x100).

But hey, what the hell do I know.

I'm not sure if it's because I failed the 410 twice that it's left a sour taste in my mouth, but of all the exams I've taken throughout college, and for certifications, if I got a low mark I could look at myself and go "Yeah, I probably should have studied more".

With the 410, it was like "How the gently caress was I supposed to prep for that?"

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Alright my new company wants me to head down the ccnp collaboration path. Am I blind or are there no official books for collaboration OR video available????

I know voice and video are being retired but why is there no video book at all, the path has been out for Years.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

m.hache posted:

I'm not sure if it's because I failed the 410 twice that it's left a sour taste in my mouth, but of all the exams I've taken throughout college, and for certifications, if I got a low mark I could look at myself and go "Yeah, I probably should have studied more".

With the 410, it was like "How the gently caress was I supposed to prep for that?"

Microsoft is doing what's called artificial difficulty, because they felt that their certifications were being cheapened because some 6 year old was able to pass an exam. It didn't make any difference that the child had been coached by both her parents (who were IT instructors) or that she could barely read - with enough time and reinforcement anyone can memorize a test and the correct answers, but if you'd placed her in front of a computer and asked her to run through a scenario she would have been lost.

But rather than consider that this was an incredibly unusual situation with some low-skill, entry-level exam, Microsoft had a knee-jerk reaction and decided to invalidate their own certification exams by going with the artificial difficulty. A better way to handle it would have been to go with more scenario and trouble-shooting questions, which require more experience and higher-order thinking skills. Microsoft is pretty much guaranteeing that a large number of people are going to cheat on their exams, thereby proving the exam is invalid, because the only way to pass is by using a brain-dump. And in response to that Microsoft will increase the artificiality of the exam, which will definitely cheapen the value of the certification.

I took an opposite view of things when I taught - if a large number of my students were passing an exam, it wasn't because they were cheating. It was because the test was valid, they had studied and learned the material, and the content I taught was spot on with what the students needed to learn in order to meet the objectives of the class, of which the test was the final evaluation.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Alright my new company wants me to head down the ccnp collaboration path. Am I blind or are there no official books for collaboration OR video available????

I know voice and video are being retired but why is there no video book at all, the path has been out for Years.

https://www.udemy.com/ccnpallinone/?dtcode=AMoXTBY2Zyi9

Someone was saying somethign about Chris Bryant being a good source for CCNA/CCNP stuff. Right now you can get the course for :10bux: too

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

After reading these last 2 pages...now I'm really worried :ohdear:
Guess it's time to find some of these dumps that keep getting mentioned.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr. Clark2 posted:

After reading these last 2 pages...now I'm really worried :ohdear:
Guess it's time to find some of these dumps that keep getting mentioned.

I wouldn't. If you ever get caught using the dumps you'll have all certs pulled and be black listed.

Just go in and hope you get a good test.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Also you won't learn it. Anyone can memorize answers but if you don't know it it'll show.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah but if you can't pass the test you'll never have the cert. It's a double edged sword.

For any non-MCSA 2012 cert you should never, ever, ever dump it.
For the MCSA, as long as I don't have to hear about it, I don't care what you do.

e: To be clear, I am not advocating that anyone use a test dump, I am merely pointing out that if a test is nothing but obscure trivia that it is up to the individual to make sure they can pass it.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 27, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

incoherent posted:

If you think thats bad think of how many admins had to study and learn network access protection (NAP) only to be depreciated in 2012.

Hey! I just failed my 70-411 and guess what they suggest that I study as one of my weakest three areas!

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So I got my CCNA R&S last month, and my school, FINALLY comes through with my second CCNA voucher, I don't need it as I got work to pay for my test. Anyway, its good for either of the 2 part test, CCENT 100-101 or 200-101, these are normally $150 and Id be willing to save someone some cash and sell it for $100. Any takers?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Hey! I just failed my 70-411 and guess what they suggest that I study as one of my weakest three areas!

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Server-Networking-Network-Protection/dp/0735624224

Select used book and pay :10bux:. pound that out and you're gold.

Just think if this book was a part of the curriculum you're supposed to read you might of not horribly failed! Also it is incredibly complex to maintain for its security gains and if you gently caress up you can easily lock everyone out of the domain.

One bad patch (or virus def) that needs to be installed to allow network access, but they can't get in because it can't apply for x y z reasons. This is a dark reality you face.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 27, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

m.hache posted:

I wouldn't. If you ever get caught using the dumps you'll have all certs pulled and be black listed.

How would one theoretically get caught using a test dump?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I remember seeing in a cert forum that some dude got black listed for answering 100% and in less than 30 minutes.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's like a lot of rules in life - the only way to get caught is by being an idiot.

Oh well, I don't want to go too much further down this path. I stand by my "make the test better or don't complain if people use test dumps" comment but I don't want that to be the only topic.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Force microsoft employees to take their own tests. That will fix them real fast.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The lovely thing is that I got outstanding scores in Group Policy and File/Print Services. Those are really easy to set up in a lab environment and I practiced the hell out of them.

But with Network services, I have no idea how to set up practice VPNs and DirectAccess that aren't totally contrived.
I still have MOAC lab access, I'm just going to do the relevant labs a half dozen times before taking the test again. Maybe it'll stick this time.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

To get us somewhat back on track...any recommendations on books to read to study for the 70-410? I have this book: http://amzn.to/1AyVEoX but since the portion devoted to 70-410 is only about 400 pages, I'm thinking it may be a bit sparse.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Thread posted:

CompTIA vs. Vendor Certs

I'm not arguing vendor certifications are bad but if you have a choice between your CCNA/MCSA/RHCSA vs. Network+/Server+/Linux+ pick the former.

Inspector_666 posted:

How would one theoretically get caught using a test dump?

Actually cheat during the test? I did re-call a pretty popular story where someone taking the CCIE-Lab was shown the door because the instructor accused him of bringing a cheat sheet.

He claims he did no such thing and to an extent I'd say he's somewhat banned from networking for life. All vendors claim they do analytical evaluations on their tests for outliers.

incoherent posted:

Force microsoft employees to take their own tests. That will fix them real fast.

I've worked for Microsoft as a Vendor, Partner and the tests are bullshit :bang: but don't ask me why because I have zero loving clue. I am in complete agreement that many of the questions are downright awful and ask about features that are incredibly minor, obtuse or even deprecated. For my 74-325 I failed the first time despite working with Office 365 daily because the answers on the test don't match up with what's accurate for the product today. I had to use wayback machine, go on the Office 365 website 4-6 months ago, see the specifications for the service and take my test again.

As for braindumps, I have to say it's pretty pathetic when they're the on the first or second page of google. Microsoft should seriously revamp it's entire education program, consolidate the certifications (less is more) and the exam more real-world. I haven't taken a Red Hat exam but having a live VM with only a console sounds like a much better way to test candidates and that's impossible to braindump.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 28, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
The VM Chimney option was one of ~7 possible answers. Now that I've looked it up I believe the correct answer was Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV) and the Chimney option was just there to throw me off.

"SR-IOV enables network traffic to bypass the software switch layer of the Hyper-V virtualization stack."

I don't think it's as bad as "I was given questions I shouldn't have". I reserve the right to still be upset though.

Someone asked about Pluralsight - I got a free 30 days and really enjoyed it. The 70-410 stuff is split into little 10 minute chunks instead of 40+ mins of James loving Conrad waffling on about hiking or his local coffee shop. I found them concise and to the point for the most part.

I also watched a few sessions on Javascript, AngularJS and Network+ content and found that pretty good too. My boss tried to watch one on SQL and hated it. That might be more to do with the subject matter.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
How are people supposed to get a cert if the only way to pass is to use it in a production environment, where most people would want you to have a cert to make sure you don't burn the place down?

I wonder if it's worth taking 2008 R2 instead or waiting to see what the 2016 exam is like. My shop is mostly 2008 at this point still. If they're going to be underhanded with their testing, I don't see why I need to waste money and time when there's another way.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Swink posted:

The VM Chimney option was one of ~7 possible answers. Now that I've looked it up I believe the correct answer was Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV) and the Chimney option was just there to throw me off.

"SR-IOV enables network traffic to bypass the software switch layer of the Hyper-V virtualization stack."

This is the correct answer. I haven't take the 2012 yet, but that and every other bulletpoint feature of 2012/R2 are located in this book

http://aka.ms/682788pdf

The rest are here

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/ebooks

skooma512 posted:

I wonder if it's worth taking 2008 R2 instead or waiting to see what the 2016 exam is like. My shop is mostly 2008 at this point still. If they're going to be underhanded with their testing, I don't see why I need to waste money and time when there's another way.

Get in on the ground floor of the racket with 08 and just do upgrades on the certs. 2016 will feature DSC, Containers, nano and no-gui default install.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 28, 2015

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
ICND1 this afternoon.... It's time to gently caress!!!!!!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SaltLick posted:

https://www.udemy.com/ccnpallinone/?dtcode=AMoXTBY2Zyi9

Someone was saying somethign about Chris Bryant being a good source for CCNA/CCNP stuff. Right now you can get the course for :10bux: too

I used his class and CBTNuggets when studying for my CCNA. I prefer the CBT videos if you can get them cheap. Otherwise Chris Bryant's aren't bad, just not as polished as the CBT videos. He also breaks down his classes into much smaller 7-15 minute videos instead of 40-60 minute videos like CBT does. So if you prefer more quick and less focused videos he's a good choice.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

Get in on the ground floor of the racket with 08 and just do upgrades on the certs. 2016 will feature DSC, Containers, nano and no-gui default install.

Can't second this enough. The Hyper-V basics suck, a LOT, but it's better to get the 2k8R2 cert and upgrade to 2012R2 now that there's more prep material than just the MS Press book in case that's not your learning style.

https://spmatt.wordpress.com/2013/10/29/how-i-passed-70-417/

When the 2016 certs come out, get in on the ground floor, gun on the prep material, lab it up, and have it down before R2 comes out and forces rewrites of all the prep material. Do all the Powershell you can between now and then as well. It'll make you a better IT professional, not just a better Windows admin.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
904/1000 on ICND1 that was so much easier than I thought it was going to be!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Awesome man you earned it !

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

crunk dork posted:

904/1000 on ICND1 that was so much easier than I thought it was going to be!

Great job! :yotj:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Just passed my 70-533 Azure Infrastructure and holy hell that is one hard test. I was feeling awful at the end and I clicked submit just because I wanted it to end.

Surprised to see 733/1000 and passed.

For those that are taking the test be sure to know how to configure whichever features in XML. Know how to configure everything no matter how simple in both the GUI and Powershell.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Tab8715 posted:

Just passed my 70-533 Azure Infrastructure and holy hell that is one hard test. I was feeling awful at the end and I clicked submit just because I wanted it to end.

Surprised to see 733/1000 and passed.

For those that are taking the test be sure to know how to configure whichever features in XML. Know how to configure everything no matter how simple in both the GUI and Powershell.

What did you use to prepare for it? I took the 70-632 Azure Developer exam on Friday and thought the Microsoft Press Exam Ref did a good job of covering the material.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Hiyoshi posted:

What did you use to prepare for it? I took the 70-632 Azure Developer exam on Friday and thought the Microsoft Press Exam Ref did a good job of covering the material.

The same the Exam Reference 70-533 which does cover the test but the questions asked are just obtuse and unrealistic.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm kicking around the idea of taking the 70-417. One test seems easier than 3, and it's so broad even if you suck at once tiny section you might still pull it off. Not sure if I can find the motivation though, I've had no desire to study anything at all since I finished WGU.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

I'm kicking around the idea of taking the 70-417. One test seems easier than 3, and it's so broad even if you suck at once tiny section you might still pull it off. Not sure if I can find the motivation though, I've had no desire to study anything at all since I finished WGU.

I'd say get it before 2016 hits - that way you're ready to do the 70-417 upgrade for Server 2016.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
So I have finally decided that working in insurance can go gently caress right off and am aiming for my first certs. I know enough to pretty easily pass the A+, network+ and Security+ exams with minimal studying, but I also did the Cisco Discovery 1-4 courses 4 years ago and am pretty solid with networking concepts in general. My question then is, should i even bother with the A+, Network+ or Security+ certs or focus my time on the CCNA, which would take me more studying to feel prepared for but I am still reasonably sure I could pass easily.

I also feel I should ask how much the CCNA has changed since I last learned this material...is IPV6 heavily focused on? I worry that might sink me if so... How tough is that compared to IPV4?

Thanks in advance...this is pretty intimidating to me since I feel like I wasted years of my life at the company I am at now and am playing from behind.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think it depends on if you want to quit insurance now and get a leg up on experience with a help desk job. If you're content with your current position then yea sure go for the CCNA and try and break in through that. It'll definitely take you further in your career.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Get the ccna and forget about the comptia stuff.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Person Dyslexic posted:

So I have finally decided that working in insurance can go gently caress right off and am aiming for my first certs. I know enough to pretty easily pass the A+, network+ and Security+ exams with minimal studying, but I also did the Cisco Discovery 1-4 courses 4 years ago and am pretty solid with networking concepts in general. My question then is, should i even bother with the A+, Network+ or Security+ certs or focus my time on the CCNA, which would take me more studying to feel prepared for but I am still reasonably sure I could pass easily.

I also feel I should ask how much the CCNA has changed since I last learned this material...is IPV6 heavily focused on? I worry that might sink me if so... How tough is that compared to IPV4?

Thanks in advance...this is pretty intimidating to me since I feel like I wasted years of my life at the company I am at now and am playing from behind.

I got my CCNA late last year (After the changes to the new version) and I think I had one IPv6 question total between both exams.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Get the ccna and forget about the comptia stuff.

This.

Just lie about having the CompTIA certs if you feel like it and know you have equivalent knowledge. I don't think anyone is going to ask for cert numbers and check them for those three specifically. Not really ethical I guess but who cares if you have the knowledge and are trying to get past HR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

crunk dork posted:

Just lie about having the CompTIA certs if you feel like it and know you have equivalent knowledge. I don't think anyone is going to ask for cert numbers and check them for those three specifically. Not really ethical I guess but who cares if you have the knowledge and are trying to get past HR.

The IT Certification Megathread: Just lie about having the certs if you feel like it