Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Somewhere in between landing on the mun and hitting a Jool moon playing with maneuver nodes and doing everything manually just starts to seem so pointless. Hell I see MechJeb as the next level of play because it's far harder (at least it was for me) to build a craft, or series of crafts, that can launch operate under MechJeb control if you use it for more than just plotting nodes. You're still doing all the normal work of planning and executing, just not actually pressing the buttons to turn the ship, or throttle up/down, and at the end of the day building a craft that ascended from Kerbin and landed on another planet all under automated control (with all the little quirks you have to account for to make that work) resulted in a return of the feeling of accomplishment and hard work more than doing it manually did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Cubey posted:

My solution to not needing refueling ships is to build refueling stations instead. I plan on having one each around Gilly, Ike, and either Laythe, Bop or Pol, and possibly Eeloo as well, with mining stations on the surface of each body and a craft to haul the ore up to be processed.

Unsurprisingly, there is also a mod for that

I've never tried it out but I keep meaning to.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Cubey posted:

My solution to not needing refueling ships is to build refueling stations instead. I plan on having one each around Gilly, Ike, and either Laythe, Bop or Pol, and possibly Eeloo as well, with mining stations on the surface of each body and a craft to haul the ore up to be processed.

Yeah, that's why I asked about the colonization / mining / launching mods before.

Unfortunately I have a very hosed up limitation to my KSP experience: I play on a 2012 Macbook Air, and ships of a certain size or complexity (about 200 parts I think) slow my computer down to a point where the game shits itself and crashes. I discovered this by building and awesome Jool mothership pieced together from many smaller components that shut my computer down whenever I turned the engines on.

So I've had to make due with a lot of smaller ships. :jeb:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How do the contract priorities get decided? I have the contract packs for Tourism, anomaly surveyor, remotetech and Kerbinspacestation.

However, I only got 2 contracts from anomaly (pyramids and airfield) and haven't heard from the contract since. Meanwhile, I get swamped in tourism contracts (and I swear to god if I get another 'plant a flag' mission :argh:). I also only got the one remotetech contract (build a kerbin communication network) that I failed. I assume I haven't seen any station contracts because I haven't unlocked docking nodes yet.

Basically, I wish there were more evenly spread out contract types.

I mean look at this (the tundra contract may actually be remotetech-related):

Really what I want is another anomaly contract. Those are fun and I know there are more anomalies on Kerbin to explore.

double nine fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 27, 2015

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Mk3 parts are good. I went from not being able to make a SSTO space plane to making one that has enough spare delta v for a Minmus flyby (although I'm not sure it would survive reentry at that speed).

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Thread needs more pictures of kerbs:

KIS is fun

Expedition 1 arrives at Roanoke Base

Bill brought parts to turn the original survey probe into a fun toy

Initial flight test: success!

Secondary flight test: walked away = also great success!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

maniacdevnull posted:

Thread needs more pictures of kerbs:

KIS is fun

Expedition 1 arrives at Roanoke Base

Bill brought parts to turn the original survey probe into a fun toy

Initial flight test: success!

Secondary flight test: walked away = also great success!

Minmus is so fun to screw around on. It's almost kind of a problem because it makes me care less about exploring outside of Kerbin's SOI when I can have such a blast doing dumb things on Minmus' surface.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've been to duna for the science and contract money but yeah, otherwise I just gently caress around in the kerbal system all the time.

I think once KIS/KAS gets itself more sorted out, and maybe once we get a good replacement for EPL, and once MKS gets more documentation I'll probably install all of those and set up some bases further out, but I just find the transfer time really tiresome to get anywhere else.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I have a contract to set up a fairly large base on Duna, and instead of dealing with trying to get some monster rocket over there I just launched like 5 different ships that I could land in the same area. You bet I used Mechjeb to launch/get those things there after I sent out and landed the initial ship. :v:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

OwlFancier posted:

I've been to duna for the science and contract money but yeah, otherwise I just gently caress around in the kerbal system all the time.

I think once KIS/KAS gets itself more sorted out, and maybe once we get a good replacement for EPL, and once MKS gets more documentation I'll probably install all of those and set up some bases further out, but I just find the transfer time really tiresome to get anywhere else.

Funny you should mention EPL, my next trick is to take a KIS box of probe-scale rocket bits, throw down a ground support, put a stage separator on top, then build a rocket from the bottom up.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Remotetech question: where is the best place to set up Duna/Eve comsats? Do you best put them close to Kerbin, do you put them beyond Mun and/or Minmus, do you put them in an equatorial orbit or a polar one, what's the best approach?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

double nine posted:

Remotetech question: where is the best place to set up Duna/Eve comsats? Do you best put them close to Kerbin, do you put them beyond Mun and/or Minmus, do you put them in an equatorial orbit or a polar one, what's the best approach?

I haven't done RemoteTech in a while, but I would do two comsats in highly elliptical polar orbits, each one with the periapsis over one of kerbin's poles. This way, you minimize the amount of orbital time that your satellite is being blocked by kerbin.

The other option might be to put multiple ground-based RT dishes at intervals on kerbin's surface, and just link those in to the RT network.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

KIS would actually work pretty well as a part of KSP itself. Individual Kerbals having inventory gives them a lot more stuff that they can do and opens up things like handheld versions of some scientific instruments.

EPL would really benefit from being part of KSP itself and just another kind of VAB. So the list on the left side of the VAB is right now everything that the player can pay for. Instead of that, think of the list being generated from what's in a local KIS container so if there's a dozen solar panels, they show up on the left hand side and adding them to the vehicle subtracts them from the inventory. Taking parts off adds them back.

So a VAB part would open up the VAB screen with a scene representing the interior of the part (and correspondingly small maximum vehicle dimensions). Parts come from attached inventory containers, fuel and other expendables come from other parts with fuel, crew come from crew modules. The interior is effectively a hangar so if the player builds something, it hangs out in there until they launch it. It doesn't exist in the world, just modifies the mass etc. of the VAB part. Moving an existing vehicle into the VAB starts editing that vehicle or just stores it safely. Launching sticks it outside of the VAB part (possibly a launchpad part) or in an "open" version of the part that the player can fly out of for space docks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

1337JiveTurkey posted:

KIS would actually work pretty well as a part of KSP itself. Individual Kerbals having inventory gives them a lot more stuff that they can do and opens up things like handheld versions of some scientific instruments.

EPL would really benefit from being part of KSP itself and just another kind of VAB. So the list on the left side of the VAB is right now everything that the player can pay for. Instead of that, think of the list being generated from what's in a local KIS container so if there's a dozen solar panels, they show up on the left hand side and adding them to the vehicle subtracts them from the inventory. Taking parts off adds them back.

So a VAB part would open up the VAB screen with a scene representing the interior of the part (and correspondingly small maximum vehicle dimensions). Parts come from attached inventory containers, fuel and other expendables come from other parts with fuel, crew come from crew modules. The interior is effectively a hangar so if the player builds something, it hangs out in there until they launch it. It doesn't exist in the world, just modifies the mass etc. of the VAB part. Moving an existing vehicle into the VAB starts editing that vehicle or just stores it safely. Launching sticks it outside of the VAB part (possibly a launchpad part) or in an "open" version of the part that the player can fly out of for space docks.

KAS/KIS would be top of my list for mods to integrate as it's very good.

And an EPL-alike stock would be good too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Haha, Jesus I unlocked the first set of 2.5m parts, an enormous fuel tank and an enormous engine. I swap the first stage of my Minmus flyby ship out with two 2.5m tanks and an engine. 1.2 TWR on the pad. It barely clears the pad at 15 seconds after launch. But 6700m/s of dV means I can land on Minmus screw up my approach trajectory and fling Jeb into deep space. :toot:

I only use Mechjeb for takeoff so I have the most dV to play with when I'm in orbit. I do all the transfers and landings and everything else manually.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
I tried lowering the back landing gear, as suggested, although I probably didn't do it enough. It also likes to veer to one side on takeoff, although it flies perfectly straight.

Here's Val setting a new air-breathing altitude record, with improved air intakes. It got all the way to 12,230 metres or so. Still only enough rocket fuel to do one high-altitude mission, though, necessitating re-launch for multiple contracts.

Finally put a probe on the Mun!
I blew it up trying to re-orient it for more electricity. :jeb:
(I did transmit from the surface to fulfill my contract for science from the surface, though!)

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I noticed a small little issue, maybe other people can back me up.

I've found that whenever I'm viewing the science center UIs my video card fires up like it's being put under a ton of stress. No other UI page does this to me, nor does any part of the gameplay, only when viewing the tech tree and science log.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Fina posted:

I've found that whenever I'm viewing the science center UIs my video card fires up like it's being put under a ton of stress. No other UI page does this to me, nor does any part of the gameplay, only when viewing the tech tree and science log.

Yeah, happens to me as well. It's way better than it used to be (I'd drop to maybe 5 fps when it was first introduced) but it's still noticeable.

Red_October_7000 posted:

I tried lowering the back landing gear, as suggested, although I probably didn't do it enough. It also likes to veer to one side on takeoff, although it flies perfectly straight.

Do uh... do you mean raising them? Because lowering them would tilt the rear end end higher than the nose, resulting in all of the lift surfaces acting as a spoiler on a racecar. In turn, this would cause significant downforce on all of the wheels which makes the entire craft veer to one side on the ground (especially if you are using a front-pointing tricycle wheel configuration).

Another thing to check is that all of your wheels are perfectly vertically-aligned and pointed straight forward. You can do this by pressing I think 3 in the VAB and turning on angle snap to ensure the alignment is correct, shift-dragging the interface for fine control. If that's not enough to fix it then it could be that your plane is too heavy and you need another set of gear to distribute the weight.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I knocked an overly tall mun lander on tourist duty on its side by landing inside a crater. I put together an overly engineered rescue system that would utilize a lander claw to vacuum the tourists out of the old lander one by one and scavenge its fuel each trip to take them to the ship in munar orbit that would take them back to Kerbin.

That is Jeb riding on top because he was the pilot of the original ship, so I only needed 4 landings and rendezvouses for the 4 tourists and he could tag along with a relatively low weight requirement.

Even with the added cost I was still on track to make money from those dumb tourists. But I launched everything needed for rescue all at once and it was a little harder to control than I am used to, so it recurved over the VAB and dropped some SRBs on it during launch.

I normally save scum everything. The whole process took a while to work out and was anything unlike the normal tasks I focus on in the game and itched a mode of troubleshooting and problem solving I've never found in a game. While fun, I will probably save scum every related failure because it was a lot like work.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Edminster posted:

Yeah, happens to me as well. It's way better than it used to be (I'd drop to maybe 5 fps when it was first introduced) but it's still noticeable.

Do uh... do you mean raising them? Because lowering them would tilt the rear end end higher than the nose, resulting in all of the lift surfaces acting as a spoiler on a racecar. In turn, this would cause significant downforce on all of the wheels which makes the entire craft veer to one side on the ground (especially if you are using a front-pointing tricycle wheel configuration).

Another thing to check is that all of your wheels are perfectly vertically-aligned and pointed straight forward. You can do this by pressing I think 3 in the VAB and turning on angle snap to ensure the alignment is correct, shift-dragging the interface for fine control. If that's not enough to fix it then it could be that your plane is too heavy and you need another set of gear to distribute the weight.

Yes, yes I meant raising them up into the aircraft, not lowering them down towards the runway. Got confused as doing so lowers the rear end end of the plane. I only did it a little bit at first to see if it helped any; I will raise them some more when I play again tonight. Does the physics model take into account changes made using the offset function? Changes which are made with angle-snap turned off, which can be very small?

This is proving to be an extremely engaging and enjoyable game.
Since my next major mission will be sending a Kerbal to the Mun and returning him safely to Kerbin (unless perhaps I should continue probe missions, i.e. to Minmus, and I have a contract for various things from Duna), I would like to know what a good save-game mod is. I'm still nervous about attempting to load a quicksave after cocking up massively last time.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Fina posted:

Same here, I suspect that the frame rate isn't being capped or something like that.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Not sure what I am doing wrong. My plane just wants to flip either up or down with the slightest control input. Help. And when I don't touch anything it wants to lawndart.

I can pull manouvers like a SU27 with stabilizer turned off. Except worse.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Michaellaneous posted:

Not sure what I am doing wrong. My plane just wants to flip either up or down with the slightest control input. Help. And when I don't touch anything it wants to lawndart.

Right click your fuel tanks to empty them and then look at your COM. As it is, your Center of Lift is probably a bit too close to your Center of Mass and could be moved farther back.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I tried that already. About how far?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Michaellaneous posted:

If you have too much control authority it's easy to turn too far and go into a stall. Between the canards, elevators & ailerons you have a heck of a lot of pitch authority there. I'd say either ditch the canards since you don't need that much lift at the front (unless your wings are waaaay back) or lock the elevators and ailerons out of having pitch control.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Red_October_7000 posted:

Yes, yes I meant raising them up into the aircraft, not lowering them down towards the runway. Got confused as doing so lowers the rear end end of the plane. I only did it a little bit at first to see if it helped any; I will raise them some more when I play again tonight. Does the physics model take into account changes made using the offset function? Changes which are made with angle-snap turned off, which can be very small?

I think it does, yes. I know miniscule changes with wings can effect the gently caress out of aero at least, and since messing with like goopods will shift the CoM I have no reason to believe the physics would ignore it completely. Can you throw the plane up on Dropbox or wherever with a list of used mods?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

If you have too much control authority it's easy to turn too far and go into a stall. Between the canards, elevators & ailerons you have a heck of a lot of pitch authority there. I'd say either ditch the canards since you don't need that much lift at the front (unless your wings are waaaay back) or lock the elevators and ailerons out of having pitch control.

Okay yeah. That kinda makes sense, should have thought about that sooner. I'll try it out.

e: Also my CoM is always so far back. Changing the amount of fuel does not help, so my planes always look really bad.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 28, 2015

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I just landed a hitchhiker container on minmus for the sole purpose of leveling the four scientists inside.

After landing, I realized I forgot to put the scientists inside :(. I sent an empty can to minmus for no reason.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Filthy Monkey posted:

I just landed a hitchhiker container on minmus for the sole purpose of leveling the four scientists inside.

After landing, I realized I forgot to put the scientists inside :(. I sent an empty can to minmus for no reason.

Congrats, sounds like someone just started building their first Minmus base.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Squad should totally look at adding more mods to stock. There are many mods that probably should be stock already. (each word is a link)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hahaha fuuuuuck I picked up a mission to ferry four scientists real high up, then land at the North Polar Base. I used this chance to test out my neat new plane parts after my manned Minmus landing. Cheap enough, quick enough, and get a tidy little sum just for directing my test plane in a certain direction when I wanted to fly it around anyway.

Well this thing's loving fast and takes a little getting used to, but I can kick it up out of the atmosphere as long as I angle her right and don't let her explode due to heat. So anyway I toddle along, bring her down eventually, land, it's all good.

Except that it's not because I didn't realize the mission wanted me to bring the kerbins back after we were done. My plane doesn't have nearly enough fuel for that! :smithicide:

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Cubey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s90tSM0oowo

The larger your craft is, the better nukes are, always. For a 3-man Jool craft, a nuclear engine is basically a necessity.

Ok, that makes sense now. Though how do you keep it from overheating in a flash?

Also I just realized that the huge asteroid that got captured in Kerbin orbit that I had grappled somehow vanished, with the craft along with it. This makes me sad as I was planning to make a fuel depot out of it.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

There sure are!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Mister Adequate posted:

Hahaha fuuuuuck I picked up a mission to ferry four scientists real high up, then land at the North Polar Base. I used this chance to test out my neat new plane parts after my manned Minmus landing. Cheap enough, quick enough, and get a tidy little sum just for directing my test plane in a certain direction when I wanted to fly it around anyway.

Well this thing's loving fast and takes a little getting used to, but I can kick it up out of the atmosphere as long as I angle her right and don't let her explode due to heat. So anyway I toddle along, bring her down eventually, land, it's all good.

Except that it's not because I didn't realize the mission wanted me to bring the kerbins back after we were done. My plane doesn't have nearly enough fuel for that! :smithicide:

Oh gently caress me I only just realized that they just have to get back to KSC, doing it via "recover craft" is totally legitimate. I'm so bad at video games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
First asteroid capture goes off without a hitch. Until I realize I forgot the parachutes :suicide:

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

First asteroid capture goes off without a hitch. Until I realize I forgot the parachutes :suicide:

p sure asteroids don't need parachutes

e: vvv post a rescue pic

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 28, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The astronauts along for the ride do. But the claw drone I made to land low-orbit debris should be able to handle this.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
"No I don't care how functional it is, it's stupid and we're not sending it to Hale." - Kerbal Space Command

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Inacio posted:

Squad should totally look at adding more mods to stock. There are many mods that probably should be stock already. (each word is a link)

No Chatterer, for shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Michaellaneous posted:

Okay yeah. That kinda makes sense, should have thought about that sooner. I'll try it out.

e: Also my CoM is always so far back. Changing the amount of fuel does not help, so my planes always look really bad.

Just for fun and observation, I'd actually suggest that you install FireSpitter and play around with some of the prefab plane parts that comes with it. Many (most?) of them are meant to replicate real aircraft and they come pre-configured to have “correct” controls unless you tweak them.

Among other things this means that only one surface each affects each rotation axis, and it's probably good to compare and contrast the difference it makes when you build something where you only have to balance CoM/CoT/CoL and one where you also should (but usually don't) balance the controls. The amount of stability you get out of the box with the preconfigured parts is a bit of an eye-opener, and you can take stock parts and do the exact same tweaks to them to yield the same results.

The parts themselves might not be properly (game)balanced against stock, so it's more as an illustration of what type of control should exist with each type of surface and the difference this makes for overall stability.