Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Does anyone else have this feeling that the game will be underwhelming? I'm asking as a big fan of Asylum and City, got the game with 970. The previews look like it's more of the same but with the Batmobile which doesn't look that fun to begin with. And the game has like 5 preorder DLC packs already because WB is a poo poo publisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'll admit I'm a bit worried. The game's got a lot of hype to live up to, and the $40 season pass isn't making it look better.

Still going to play the poo poo out of it, more than likely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

Does anyone else have this feeling that the game will be underwhelming? I'm asking as a big fan of Asylum and City, got the game with 970. The previews look like it's more of the same but with the Batmobile which doesn't look that fun to begin with. And the game has like 5 preorder DLC packs already because WB is a poo poo publisher.

WB actually has a really good track record recently. They published Witcher 3, Shadow of Mordor, Mortal Kombat X, Dying Light and so-on. They've had some lovely PC ports but they seem to be trying to maintain a fairly strong brand.

I doubt it'll have the same wow factor as Asylum or City but I'm pretty sure it'll be a good game. The hype might work against it but that's more a result of the long delay than anything else.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

There won't be any trailer, info or whatever for the Red Hood DLC isn't it? :(

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Terminally Bored posted:

I'm expecting the game to be better than Asylum or City if anything. Origins being janky made sense on account of it being a different studio picking up the framework that was already there, but Rocksteady should be more than comfortable with the franchise by now. They don't have to worry about putting out a good first product, they already have an established formula that works and they can go crazy with it now that this is (presumably) the final game in the series.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

I've decided to just think of it as Arkham City, Version 2 or something. Thinking that it's going to be God's gift to Batman is just silly, honestly. To be honest, the Batmobile thing is feeling more like a gimmick the more they constantly remind us that it's in the game...

I got sick of the behind the scenes videos since all that annoying guy in the first one did was overhype the gently caress out of it as if people were THAT excited.

It'll be, at the very worst, a decent game. At it's best, it'll be a drat good superhero game (but it's not hard to be a good superhero video game anyway...there really aren't many good ones to begin with).

I'll just think of it as a 1080p version of Arkham City but replace Joker with Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghoul with Arkham Knight. It'll be alright.

At least there's no multiplayer...glad it's not shoehorned in.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Terminally Bored posted:

At this point the game would have to cure AIDS to live up to the hype, but that doesn't mean that it'll be a bad game if it doesn't. Even if it's "only" as good as City or Asylum, that's still a pretty good game.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

The one thing I don't like of what I know about Arkham Knight is all the preorder bonus poo poo, but that's just how every other big game works these days.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm paying 40 extra dollars for a full price game, i don't give a gently caress if it's over or underwhelming

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

ThermoPhysical posted:

At least there's no multiplayer...glad it's not shoehorned in.

The multiplayer was by far the best part of Origins, and I would have loved to see it polished and iterated on.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I would say just buy the base game. The whole game itself should stand alone and any extra DLC on top is, well, extra. You can maybe make the argument if it's really well integrated into the base game that it might've been cut out but there's no Catwoman-level stuff on display this time around. Looks a lot like extra Batman skins and a few mission packs or challenge map stuff.

I have no faith in the season pass amounting to much unless I start seeing something like even a rudimentary release schedule like DICE does with Battlefield's. 6 months of content might as well mean 4 skins everyone 2 months and then a story DLC at the very end. The season pass as it stands isn't worth it until more information comes up or they start rolling out stuff worth buying from it.

Was Deathstroke a pre-order only thing for Origins? Cause it's not a separate entry on Steam even in my listed DLC, so I assume everyone eventually got it? Wouldn't be surprised if they eventually rolled up all the pre-order skins into packs later into release. I think that's what mostly happened with Origins anyway.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm worried that Red Hood will just have a loving retractable stick just like robin, and his batarang attack is actually replaced by Joker's quick Gunshot. So basically almost like Origin's Deathstroke, except lazier.

I'm worried Rocksteady will pull a Montreal on this one, that's how worried i am about putting down 60 bucks for this poo poo.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i think this game is going to be good and also fun

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
im gonna run over a dude with the Batmobile

non-lethally of course

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

CharlestonJew posted:

im gonna run over a dude with the Batmobile

non-lethally of course

So long as you pepper that motherfucker with rubber bullets BEFORE you run him over with 15 tons of flashy carbon fiber.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'm worried that Red Hood will just have a loving retractable stick just like robin, and his batarang attack is actually replaced by Joker's quick Gunshot. So basically almost like Origin's Deathstroke, except lazier.

I'm worried Rocksteady will pull a Montreal on this one, that's how worried i am about putting down 60 bucks for this poo poo.

I only preordered because of an awesome NZ/Aus deal that some rad dude linked in this thread. If are worried then don't preorder and just wait for the reviews/goon opinions. If you're worried about missing out on the preorder bonuses I'm pretty sure there are a lot of websites these days that sell packs with preorder bonuses as well. I have to admit the god-awful animation in the batman/robin coop video made me a bit weary.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Terminally Bored posted:

Yes and no. There's not so much to the formula that can be changed. I like some of the new combat features like environmental takedowns, Batmobile takedowns, and being to glide directly into vents. It's all polishing to make a better product, rather than make radical changes to it.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
For me, the bigger open world of City and Origins was not an improvement over the tight well paced setting of asylum. So the major new hook this game has of bigger city + bat mobile doesn't necessarily have me that excited.

However, a huge draw with these games is how well they integrate and and use the characters from the batman universe in the gameplay and setting. I am talking about stuff like the scarecrow moments in the first game, and clayface being in that one cell etc. If there are a bunch of cool moments like these in Arkham Knight then I think I am onboard.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/batman-arkham-knight-preorder-bonuses/1100-6427627/

Want to preorder....well there are at least 8 versions you can pick from.

I seriously hope the Best Buy preorder is just early unlocks or something. Basically, unless you preordered at Best Buy, you lose out on some abilities.

Apparently, you can't set explosive traps anymore unless you got it from BB. The gently caress?

I'm kind of glad this is the last Arkham game now if WB is going to do poo poo like this..

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently, you can't set explosive traps anymore unless you got it from BB. The gently caress?

I'm kind of glad this is the last Arkham game now if WB is going to do poo poo like this..

I'm 99% certain it's just an early unlock of an upgrade you would otherwise have to earn with experience points in game. Tomb Raider also had preorder packs that featured early skill unlocks.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I didn't realize Steam had an exclusive skin pack. That's nice I guess, even if it's not actual missions like the PS4.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm-6kYvPEdM
new gameplay video.

and gameinformer did a handson.
http://www.arkhamverse.com/news/2015/05/crime-scene-detailed-in-gameinformer-hands-on/

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The tank sections look unfun.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this is one of the games I won't think twice about preordering because Rocksteady. I doubt it will be a bust or anything of the sort. They know Origins was a crapshoot and they'd really have to try hard to gently caress this up.

I am wondering whether or not to get it on PC or PS4 though. I can run Witcher 3 at 40FPS with everything on High so I figure this would run ok as well.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'll continue to trust Rocksteady- whatever small missteps were made in AC, the reality is they have really excellent high-level workflow and design, and equally excellent detail work. That's a very rare combination. This could be the game that demonstrates my trust was unfounded, but so far their record is spotless. I don't know of any other present companies (maybe Retro?) who I can say that about.

edit: that said, there's one obstacle preventing me from getting the whole 90 dollar season pass thing- I'd also need a completely new computer to run the game. Bad generation timing.

edit 2: Idea: what if Adam West Batman had sound effect titles in combat? BAM WOOSH CRUNCH OOF

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 28, 2015

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The trust in Rocksteady is unfounded. They've made two Arkham games and Urban Chaos: Riot Response for the PS2 and XBox. This is their first game on new hardware (Ubisoft with 1000+ person teams couldn't make the jump effectively as shown with Assassin's Creed Unity). Arkham City was already suffering from some minor feature creep in the open world littered with loving ugly Riddler trophies; feature creep that could be made much worse with the inclusion of the Batmobile and racing challenges and tank modes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Riddler Trophy are like the only open-world collectable I've ever enjoyed. I'm not clear why people dislike them so much. They make exploring worthwhile and are fun minor puzzles for the most part.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I liked collecting Riddler trophies too, so I dunno, different strokes man. As for Ubisoft, they're constant gently caress ups and I don't ever trust them to do anything right. Rocksteady has yet to fail me and I'll trust them til they do.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

The trust in Rocksteady is unfounded. They've made two Arkham games and Urban Chaos: Riot Response for the PS2 and XBox. This is their first game on new hardware (Ubisoft with 1000+ person teams couldn't make the jump effectively as shown with Assassin's Creed Unity). Arkham City was already suffering from some minor feature creep in the open world littered with loving ugly Riddler trophies; feature creep that could be made much worse with the inclusion of the Batmobile and racing challenges and tank modes.

how you can compare this to Ubisoft is loving beyond me because they just suck at their jobs entirely and Unity was garbage. Studios like Klei, Next Level, or (for a time) Retro all had relatively small resumes for games but none of that matters if you've proven to be competent. This game is still in the same Unreal 3 engine, why on earth would it suddenly melt this time.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
And the Riddler trophies were ugly as gently caress. I remember the first time Arkham City kicked Batman out into the open world and thinking how ugly all these neon green question marks every hundred yards was. In Asylum they were actually, you know, hidden.

MinibarMatchman posted:

how you can compare this to Ubisoft is loving beyond me because they just suck at their jobs entirely and Unity was garbage. Studios like Klei, Next Level, or (for a time) Retro all had relatively small resumes for games but none of that matters if you've proven to be competent. This game is still in the same Unreal 3 engine, why on earth would it suddenly melt this time.

Assassin's Creed Unity was on Anvil Next just like AC3 and AC4 and somehow surpassed those two in terms of technical hiccups. Two games does not a reputation make is all I'm saying.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The riddler trophies were great. They sucked in Origins but I enjoyed them in Asylum and City. Asylum was great because it made you focus on things that weren't there or provided little easter eggs. Like how Firefly was mentioned in Asylum. City had some pretty great ones too. It's not just oh hey go here and here to get them. It was pretty cool having a puzzle to unlock them.

Also, you are comparing them to Ubisoft who has been milking rear end Creed for years. This is what? The third title for these guys?

I have more trust they can do a way better job than Ubisoft because at least Rocksteady hasn't milked Batman to death. (I mean WB is)

Two titles is more than enough because both were good games. Asylum was goddamn great and so was City.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 28, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shindragon posted:

The riddler trophies were great. They sucked in Origins but I enjoyed them in Asylum and City. Asylum was great because it made you focus on things that weren't there or provided little easter eggs. Like how Firefly was mentioned in Asylum. City had some pretty great ones too. It's not just oh hey go here and here to get them. It was pretty cool having a puzzle to unlock them.

Also, you are comparing them to Ubisoft who has been milking rear end Creed for years. This is what? The third title for these guys?

I have more trust they can do a way better job than Ubisoft because at least Rocksteady hasn't milked Batman to death. (I mean WB is)

Two titles is more than enough because both were good games. Asylum was goddamn great and so was City.

it's actually for the best that this is the last batman game, gives it a reason to aim high and go out on a good note

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

The game seems really dark. It could just be my monitor but I had a hard time seeing what was going on in that fight from the video. Ditto for the driving. Also, from the fight, I'm not a fan of the hit special effects. They seem excessively flashy especially when they are colored blue and red.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

MinibarMatchman posted:

it's actually for the best that this is the last batman game, gives it a reason to aim high and go out on a good note

Oh I agree, I would like to see Rocksteady tackle another super hero series. The third title should hopefully go out with a bang.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

edit 2: Idea: what if Adam West Batman had sound effect titles in combat? BAM WOOSH CRUNCH OOF
Thank god, we had gone a few too many days without someone suggesting this.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

If wanting Adam West to come into the studio and record a few interrogation lines is wrong, I don't wanna be right redbackground.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

It's a shame having a passenger doesn't seem to matter to the gameplay with the tank. It'd be nice if you could hear Ivy or whoever making sarcastic commentary or backseat driving.

There also better be more to Ivy in the game than that.

Brutakas posted:

The game seems really dark. It could just be my monitor but I had a hard time seeing what was going on in that fight from the video. Ditto for the driving. Also, from the fight, I'm not a fan of the hit special effects. They seem excessively flashy especially when they are colored blue and red.

It's your monitor, it was perfectly clear for me.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/batman-arkham-knight-preorder-bonuses/1100-6427627/

Want to preorder....well there are at least 8 versions you can pick from.

I seriously hope the Best Buy preorder is just early unlocks or something. Basically, unless you preordered at Best Buy, you lose out on some abilities.

They've already stated that those are early unlocks. Quit freaking out.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hard counter posted:

If wanting Adam West to come into the studio and record a few interrogation lines is wrong, I don't wanna be right redbackground.
See, that I would be on board for.

I was also happy to see that my early guess as to what the Breakout counter would look like was correct:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

What if the Arkham Knight is a hallucination and the whole game is a dream :tinfoil:

• Locked thread