Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i'll bite

splifyphus posted:

it's 2015. a few keystrokes can get you decades of research, trip reports, dosage information, ingestion methods, substance identification procedures - all the information you need to not die if you're determined to jam foreign compounds into your body. this isn't alchemy or magic, it's chemistry. anybody who's doing eyeball doses of an nbome (it's just cheap acid guys!) for the first time in a party situation without a sober trip sitter and zero research done deserves exactly what they get. it's darwin award decision making to be laughed at, not a catalyst for manufactured outrage and moral crusading.

incorrect assumptions:
- that people will make rational decisions based on received information
- that easy-to-understand and reliable information on illicit substances can be easily found
- that people even know how to research and evaluate in such a way that the above information becomes useful
- upbringing, social pressure, and actual mental illness have no impact on somebody's decision to take a substance

etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Herman Merman posted:

Bitfury developed a light bulb that automatically mines Bitcoin when you screw it in (twitter.com)

Guys I've had a great idea. What if we made a toilet, that every time you flushed it, it would mine a bitcoin? Or a hand dryer that heats the air by mining? What about a towel rail with an embedded ASIC?

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

quote:

[–]jdkeith 3 points 4 hours ago
So what if he was aiming to become rich? Most of the people that bought drugs would've bought them from cartels and would've been in situations where violence was more likely and there was less feedback about product quality.

[–]RainBTC 4 points 3 hours ago
I don't agree with everything Ross did, but the drug war needs to stop. This is beyond ridiculous. Addicts are going to addict, online or in the streets

[–]sumBTC 1 point 4 hours ago
I'm not an expert but I would say: the silk road was a general purpose e-commerce website that happened to be mainly used by drug dealers to sell illegal substances.

[–]earthmoonsun 1 point 2 hours ago
If I check what the government did in the past years, I recommend life sentence for each member of government, too

[–]targetpro 0 points 3 hours ago
The prosecution would recommend death by torture if they could get away with it.
The sad thing is, if Ross had murdered someone in cold blood, he'd probably be looking 12 years total.

[–]Tectract 1 point an hour ago
Murder for hire is a criminal act which he is innocent of because he has never been convicted, so there is no reason for the judge to consider that unproven allegation.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

splifyphus posted:

these people are complete morons, and would have found a way to kill themselves via drugs regardless of acquisition method.

blaming drug dealers for irresponsible usage and addiction is some serious brainstem monkey logic. as long as you're shunting responsibility down the causal chain you may as well blame the governments who create the draconian laws that allow black markets to flourish, or the culture of fear, superstition, and propaganda that strangles any possibility of rational drug discussion or education, or a society that drills the quintessential values of profiteering and hedonism into its babies from day one (but drugs r bad mk!), or the evolutionary forces that shaped our fragile little chemical soup brains, or the hopeless economic conditions that make chemical escapes appear desirable, or God for starting this whole shitfest in the first place. they're all responsible too!

it's 2015. a few keystrokes can get you decades of research, trip reports, dosage information, ingestion methods, substance identification procedures - all the information you need to not die if you're determined to jam foreign compounds into your body. this isn't alchemy or magic, it's chemistry. anybody who's doing eyeball doses of an nbome (it's just cheap acid guys!) for the first time in a party situation without a sober trip sitter and zero research done deserves exactly what they get. it's darwin award decision making to be laughed at, not a catalyst for manufactured outrage and moral crusading.

ulbricht deserves what's coming, but he's not responsible for addicts and idiots who took advantage of his digital libertopia.

you just have to keep the dosage information, ingestion methods, and substance identification procedures in mind.... on drugs!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Hammerite posted:

Guys I've had a great idea. What if we made a toilet, that every time you flushed it, it would mine a bitcoin? Or a hand dryer that heats the air by mining? What about a towel rail with an embedded ASIC?

take the shaking power generator from a flashlight and put it in a fleshlight with a asic

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I'm thinking of a Bitcoin-enabled public restroom, but with tipping! I've got bitcoins on the brain, and a buttmine up my rear end!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Gobbeldygook posted:

the php is loving nice
Tiny Drug Child

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Boxturret posted:

take the shaking power generator from a flashlight and put it in a fleshlight with a asic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt3WWXoHHI8 but with bitcoins

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Herman Merman posted:

Lightbulbs produce all their light from heat.
:psyduck:

Magrov posted:

The sad thing is, if Ross had murdered someone in cold blood, he'd probably be looking 12 years total.
:psyduck:

Magrov posted:

I'm not an expert but I would say
thread title material

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Tiny Drug Child

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

splifyphus posted:

these people are complete morons, and would have found a way to kill themselves via drugs regardless of acquisition method.

blaming drug dealers for irresponsible usage and addiction is some serious brainstem monkey logic. as long as you're shunting responsibility down the causal chain you may as well blame the governments who create the draconian laws that allow black markets to flourish, or the culture of fear, superstition, and propaganda that strangles any possibility of rational drug discussion or education, or a society that drills the quintessential values of profiteering and hedonism into its babies from day one (but drugs r bad mk!), or the evolutionary forces that shaped our fragile little chemical soup brains, or the hopeless economic conditions that make chemical escapes appear desirable, or God for starting this whole shitfest in the first place. they're all responsible too!

ulbricht deserves what's coming, but he's not responsible for addicts and idiots who took advantage of his digital libertopia.

you are a mental retard

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

splifyphus posted:

on the other hand, context

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

they did

in like 1996

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
splifyphus is a cool drug related name

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Nintendo Kid posted:

they did

in like 1996

I'd say they produce heat from their light, heat was the bypro*gunshot*

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

indigi posted:

I'd say they produce heat from their light, heat was the bypro*gunshot*

nah, the mechanism of action of an incandescent lightbulb is "heat up a chunk of metal until it glows, then continue applying heat"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Tiny Drug Child

lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

OhsH posted:

that kid didn't do his due diligence he deserves death
that homeless guy i bludgeoned to death with a tire iron probably would have died of something else - starvation, health complications, exposure, the dts - soon anyway, so as you can clearly see your honor i cant be held responsible for his death

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

nah, the mechanism of action of an incandescent lightbulb is "heat up a chunk of metal until it glows, then continue applying heat"

oh yeah, i'd forgotten about those things

maybe they can do a cassette tape walkman but with bitcoin next

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
if the kids that overdosed on sr heroin are dumb idiots that would have found some other way to kill themselves then ross is a dumb idiot that would have found some otherway to end up in prison for life.

stinch fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 28, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

stinch posted:

if the kids that overdosed on sr heroin are dumb idiots that would have found some other way to kill themselves then ross is a dumb idiot that would have found some otherway to end up in prison for life.

Unfortunately there are many ways to legally be a white male sociopath

Ross was too stupid to make any of them work for him and not for lack of trying (possibly because drug usage reduced his attention span)

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Herman Merman posted:

Bitfury developed a light bulb that automatically mines Bitcoin when you screw it in (twitter.com)

how many bitcoiners does it take to screw in a lightbulb

two, one to be smugly satisfied about the pure profit he'll be getting, and another to rail against the statist shills that want us to stop using inefficient incandescents because i'll use whatever i want ron paul end the fed

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

stinch posted:

:agreed:

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

JaysonAych posted:

two, one to be smugly satisfied about the pure profit he'll be getting, and another to rail against the statist shills that want us to stop using inefficient incandescents because i'll use whatever i want ron paul end the fed

at no point does either of them do the work to screw in the light bulb.

sounds legit.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

yes except the chunk of metal is an ASIC

this is what bitcoiners actually think

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

pgroce posted:

at no point does either of them do the work to screw in the light bulb.

sounds legit.

it's in the wiki

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah, but the waste heat of a bitcoin miner can't really be concentrated into a filament. If that's an incandescent bulb then it needs some way to dissipate the heat of a miner and a hot piece of metal. Its two terrible ideas that are worse than their individual parts together.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

JaysonAych posted:

one to update the entry for 'darkness' on the wiki

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

splifyphus posted:

why dont you go do a herion about it

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
obviously nobody here has done any amateur electronics projects or you would be intimately familiar with the light-emitting resistor, which is clearly what these bitbulb makers are attempting to emulate on a larger scale

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Heresiarch posted:

obviously nobody here has done any amateur electronics projects or you would be intimately familiar with the light-emitting resistor, which is clearly what these bitbulb makers are attempting to emulate on a larger scale

the humble incandescent bulb is of course a light emitting resistor, and they are simply attempting to reduce its efficiency in terms of light vs. heat.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

splifyphus posted:

this guy gets it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

As a Millennial I posted:

this guy gets it

all of this isn't going to get you a part in the movie you know

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
For a bunch of people who believe in the free market, they don't have a good idea of what market forces do to the price of Bitcoins

They're actually one of the best examples of where the cost to make them is directly tied to to the price

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

text editor posted:

why dont you go do a herion about it

its ok, he took some lsd

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Malloreon posted:

I seriously don't understand people who do drugs. Holy poo poo, how is that a way to live?

i get the reasons why people do drugs with obvious pleasant effects, like marijuana or heroin. in that case, you're doing something with a short term reward at least.

but there seem to be so many drugs with nothing but depressing trip reports and no effects that sound interesting or pleasant, like datura. how the hell is there a market for them, and people who read, "this drug has users over the centuries all agreeing it makes you feel like your dying for hours that feel like years," and think "this is the substance for me."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Malloreon posted:

I seriously don't understand people who do drugs. Holy poo poo, how is that a way to live?

yeah idgi. my last relationship ended because all my ex wanted to do was go to bluegrass and jam band concerts, drink, and do whatever drugs she could get ahold of. i think the concerts were just an excuse since she never talked about the music, just how loaded she got.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

OhsH posted:

that kid didn't do his due diligence he deserves death

reminder: mandatory 5-ratings, mandatory early escrow release

~ harm reduction ~

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

TVarmy posted:

i get the reasons why people do drugs with obvious pleasant effects, like marijuana or heroin. in that case, you're doing something with a short term reward at least.

but there seem to be so many drugs with nothing but depressing trip reports and no effects that sound interesting or pleasant, like datura. how the hell is there a market for them, and people who read, "this drug has users over the centuries all agreeing it makes you feel like your dying for hours that feel like years," and think "this is the substance for me."

you can want to experience something that you know will not be very pleasant for the sake of the experience

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Dessert Rose posted:

you can want to experience something that you know will not be very pleasant for the sake of the experience

like reading your posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Endless Mike posted:

yeah idgi. my last relationship ended because all my ex wanted to do was go to bluegrass and jam band concerts, drink, and do whatever drugs she could get ahold of. i think the concerts were just an excuse since she never talked about the music, just how loaded she got.
probably correct. music festivals are as close to a real life Hamsterdam as we're likely to ever get. guys just walk from campsite to campsite offering to sell you whatever you wanted.

at electric forest, a friend was snorting a line of molly at night and someone helpfully shined a flashlight down on her so she could see what she was doing. she looked up to thank them and it was a cop. He said, "I just wanted to make sure you weren't doing too much." and walked away.

• Locked thread