Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Klowns posted:

So I uploaded a couple .pdf files from my PC to Google Books hoping to read them on my phone but I don't see a way to resize the pages and the default view has the text way too small to read. I'd have to zoom in then scroll right then left and down for the next line which would suck. Any way to fix a .pdf for better viewing on a phone or should I just shell out the money to buy the Kindle versions of the books?
Sometimes the page content of a PDF file is an image. Could this be the the reason these files are not easily readable?
I've tried to upload files like this to Docs, as it can often do OCR conversion to a regular text format, but they are never perfect, and the PDFs have always only been a couple of pages long, never novel sized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So the lack of lock screen widgets in lollipop still bothers me - it was so convenient to have my agenda, and a calculator, right there all the time without having to swipe in.
Anyone know of replacements for these two, or a good lock screen customisation app in general?

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Fart of Presto posted:

Sometimes the page content of a PDF file is an image. Could this be the the reason these files are not easily readable?
I've tried to upload files like this to Docs, as it can often do OCR conversion to a regular text format, but they are never perfect, and the PDFs have always only been a couple of pages long, never novel sized.

That makes sense, maybe I'll try converting the .pdf to a .doc then adjusting the page width. I did Pushbullet the raw .pdf to my phone and opening it but then it was small and it wouldn't use the readers font/color settings, the Google Books conversion at least lets it do that.

Here's what I'm seeing now (gets slightly larger if I'm not tapped in for menu)

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

datajosh posted:

You might have to stop using WidgetLocker. It hasn't had an update in almost 18 months, which was before Lollipop and before 64-bit phones were available.

Is there a preferred alternative?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/24/an-exclusive-early-look-at-the-new-google-photos-app/
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/24/the-new-google-photos-app-will-include-photo-and-video-link-sharing-with-privacy-controls/
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/24/in-the-new-google-photos-app-autoawesome-becomes-assistant-and-allows-for-more-manual-creations/

Android Police has started a series on the new Google Photos app, which will replace Google+ Photos in the next few weeks.

Looks like it's the G+ Photos app that's stripped from the G+ app but with the ability to share videos/photos with privacy control and Auto Awesome will have the ability to use it manually and gets a name change to 'Assistant'.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/24/an-exclusive-early-look-at-the-new-google-photos-app/
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/24/the-new-google-photos-app-will-include-photo-and-video-link-sharing-with-privacy-controls/
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/24/in-the-new-google-photos-app-autoawesome-becomes-assistant-and-allows-for-more-manual-creations/

Android Police has started a series on the new Google Photos app, which will replace Google+ Photos in the next few weeks.

Looks like it's the G+ Photos app that's stripped from the G+ app but with the ability to share videos/photos with privacy control and Auto Awesome will have the ability to use it manually and gets a name change to 'Assistant'.

Oh my god that swipe selection thing looks incredible and I hope it comes to more apps.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
My HTC One M8 is lagging like gently caress, it's only a month old and it's pissing me off no end.
Are there any apps out there which might be able to give an indication of what's eating up CPU time so badly? RAM seems to do OK, and there's plenty of room on internal storage. There are a decent number of apps installed but I'm sure I had more on my m7, and it was never this bad in terms of lag in general use.

Otherwise, are there any commonly used apps which are causing problems to Android users generally right now?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Can you get into developer options on those? If you can, check Show CPU Usage or whatever it is and you'll get a kind of live bar chart showing you what's doing what

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

El Grillo posted:

My HTC One M8 is lagging like gently caress, it's only a month old and it's pissing me off no end.
Are there any apps out there which might be able to give an indication of what's eating up CPU time so badly? RAM seems to do OK, and there's plenty of room on internal storage. There are a decent number of apps installed but I'm sure I had more on my m7, and it was never this bad in terms of lag in general use.

Otherwise, are there any commonly used apps which are causing problems to Android users generally right now?

My M8 is seven or so months old and still runs the same as it did on day one. Ive got tons of apps installed.

If I were in your position I'd remove apps one by one and see which is affecting performance so badly.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
What's an app I can use to put two images side by side that's not a piece of malware?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

El Grillo posted:

Mine was doing this and eventually I just got fed up and did a factory reset. Haven't had any issues since then.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

After installing roughly ten different lockscreen apps, nothing comes close to being as good as WidgetLocker. gaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is it Facebook Messenger that's an awful piece of poo poo or is it the Facebook app itself? I have a friend who refuses to use texting or anything else...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is it Facebook Messenger that's an awful piece of poo poo or is it the Facebook app itself? I have a friend who refuses to use texting or anything else...

Who knows, I've never had a problem with either of them but some people act like the Facebook app personally killed their baby. I think consensus is that Facebook app sucks, Messenger app is good.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's messenger, because the thing constantly probes your gps. I turned off location tracking in facebook and messenger and my battery has significantly improved.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

vyst posted:

It's messenger, because the thing constantly probes your gps. I turned off location tracking in facebook and messenger and my battery has significantly improved.

How'd you do that? Just go in and set it so it doesn't post your location every message?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

How'd you do that? Just go in and set it so it doesn't post your location every message?

Just go into the messenger settings and uncheck Location.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I just started diving into Tasker, I thought there used to be a thread specific to it, but I guess there is not now, if there ever was. Could somebody point me in the direction of a good resource for it, and is it kosher to post in this thread with questions regarding it? I haven't paid attention to android threads on here for like 6 months so I'm out of the etiquette loop.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

surc posted:

I just started diving into Tasker, I thought there used to be a thread specific to it, but I guess there is not now, if there ever was. Could somebody point me in the direction of a good resource for it, and is it kosher to post in this thread with questions regarding it? I haven't paid attention to android threads on here for like 6 months so I'm out of the etiquette loop.

Here's the Tasker thread

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

surc posted:

There's also this: The Tasker Userguide. Good luck! :tipshat:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Oh, I totally missed that thread, that's what I get for doing a ctrl-f instead of a forum search. Thanks for that and the link to the user guide!

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Who knows, I've never had a problem with either of them but some people act like the Facebook app personally killed their baby. I think consensus is that Facebook app sucks, Messenger app is good.

The consensus is there's no consensus.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Turn off in-app sounds, disable location sharing, and that should hopefully fix things if it was Messenger being terrible. For me, though, whenever my phone's been running shittily nothing fixes it like a good factory reset or clean ROM install. It was true on my N4, and it's true on my M8. I suppose it's possible that it's just placebo, but with how viscerally frustrating it is whenever my phone hangs I imagine I would notice if it was still there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What are some good stock and portfolio trackers with nice widgets? Blah blah it's a long term investment but as a novelty I'd like to have a neat chart on my home screen telling me how much I lost minute to minute. I tried Portfolio Watcher which kinds of does that but is ugly and doesn't seem to update properly.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Why is Pocket Casts a recommended podcast app? What do people have against Doggcatcher?

Put Pocket Casts on my wife's phone because of all the rave reviews I've seen. Immediately the lovely episode clean-up leapt out at me as a poorly-implemented feature. Not really the app's fault, but I was disappointed I couldn't set up audiobook MP3s as a feed.

Got my refund, put Doggcatcher on. Love the "virtual feed" feature that lets you set up any directory of media files as a fake-podcast. Handy for audiobooks downloaded from Humble Bundle or whatever.

The app itself just seems to be better designed, like ... hey, I can have it auto-delete played episodes. The only criticism of it I can offer is that it might have too many features for someone totally new to podcasts.

edit: one really stupid thing I should email the developer about, Doggcatcher isn't set to only download by wi-fi by default. Burned me badly when I got a new phone last year.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 28, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

teethgrinder posted:

Why is Pocket Casts a recommended podcast app? What do people have against Doggcatcher?

Put Pocket Casts on my wife's phone because of all the rave reviews I've seen. Immediately the lovely episode clean-up leapt out at me as a poorly-implemented feature. Not really the app's fault, but I was disappointed I couldn't set up audiobook MP3s as a feed.

Got my refund, put Doggcatcher on. Love the "virtual feed" feature that lets you set up any directory of media files as a fake-podcast. Handy for audiobooks downloaded from Humble Bundle or whatever.

The app itself just seems to be better designed, like ... hey, I can have it auto-delete played episodes. The only criticism of it I can offer is that it might have too many features for someone totally new to podcasts.

edit: one really stupid thing I should email the developer about, Doggcatcher isn't set to only download by wi-fi by default. Burned me badly when I got a new phone last year.

I haven't used Doggcatcher in years so I can't say anything about it, but pocket casts most definitely can be set to auto-delete played episodes.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Pocket Casts absolutely lets you set custom files as a "podcast": see http://www.shiftyjelly.com/support/pocketcasts#115

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ah thanks.

I perhaps should have spent more time with it, but honestly that work-around is not particularly intuitive.

Also the auto-delete, in the app, is labelled as "most recent" episodes, not "listened to".

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

teethgrinder posted:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah loving with the Android file system is a logical way for the average user to make a feature work. :waycool:

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I mean, it's not really a feature that you'd expect from a podcast app in the first place (at least, not that I would), so it's kinda cool that it works at all?

Also I'm not really sure what your issue is with auto deleting played episodes? Like, there's literally a checkbox that you can tick to have it delete played episodes. Not sure how you can get more straightforward than that?

E: Maybe you're confusing two different features: 1) you can choose how many unplayed episodes you want it to keep; 2) you can have it automatically delete episodes as you play them.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 28, 2015

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I apparently somehow missed the checkbox. When I was poking through the options, I only saw something about auto-deleting more than x number of recent episodes.

I'm most likely wrong. Somehow I just missed this poo poo, panicked (over $4), and went with what I knew.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
impulse hating happen to the best of us

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

dik-dik posted:

Turn off in-app sounds, disable location sharing, and that should hopefully fix things if it was Messenger being terrible. For me, though, whenever my phone's been running shittily nothing fixes it like a good factory reset or clean ROM install. It was true on my N4, and it's true on my M8. I suppose it's possible that it's just placebo, but with how viscerally frustrating it is whenever my phone hangs I imagine I would notice if it was still there.

I'm considering this. But it will take me a couple of hours to set my poo poo back up to how it was, and that is a gigantic pain in the arse - this is a new phone.
I would never use anything but Android because nothing has the flexibility, but sometimes it drives you pretty crazy.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

dik-dik posted:

I mean, it's not really a feature that you'd expect from a podcast app in the first place (at least, not that I would), so it's kinda cool that it works at all?

I like PocketCasts well enough but literally every other podcast app I've tried has a better implementation of virtual podcasts than it does.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Playing local files that you just throw at it is a weird thing to expect from a podcast app.

Why don't you use the logical thing...a media player?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Or a dedicated Audiobook player even. I like Listen.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thermopyle posted:

Playing local files that you just throw at it is a weird thing to expect from a podcast app.

Why don't you use the logical thing...a media player?

Gonna go out on a limb and say: media players typically won't let you bookmark your place in a plain audio format, in a way that you can return to it days later as opposed to just being paused and restarted the same day.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and say: media players typically won't let you bookmark your place in a plain audio format, in a way that you can return to it days later as opposed to just being paused and restarted the same day.

That's a good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

Precisely.

If you want to get fancy you can set up your auto-play order too so that podcasts always come first and the audiobook is there at the end when you run out of current content. Handy when doing stuff like driving or biking, when you don't want to be loving around with your phone.

• Locked thread