Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Hagop posted:

but you get a rate limit exceeded warning at 9x9x3. Which I assume means the numbers get fictional at the point, or maybe that you just need to bump a config file.

Actually I think that's just limiting the traffic to the web server that does the simulation (HTTP code 429, from looking at the source). If you wait a few seconds and click simulate again it should work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Weembles posted:

Using passive coolant in an actively cooled reactor should give you a huge boost to steam production, if the Big Reactor Simulator website is correct.

Well, I stand corrected. I guess my intuition had it backwards. I would assume passive cooling would sink heat that could be used for steam.

Truga posted:

e: Also, I implemented a simple PID controller for turbines with OpenComputers. It regulates turbine speed via control rod insertion, rather than limiting steam intake. I tried to do it with energy stored (so as to not waste power), but the 1 million RF buffer turbine has is too low and response time for the turbine is like 30 seconds, so it just keeps alternating between 0 and 100%.
I suspect your proportional gain is too large if your PID is oscillating. Edit: Also, don't bank too much on a PID working too well because your load is going to change. So your model is always changing. I'd recommend doing something fuzzier. Alternately, you can get lolmer's EZ-Nuke and be done with it. I will concede it's still fun to tinker with this stuff, but he had taken the extra steps of making cool display support.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 27, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hagop posted:

Gregtech fucks with ore gen now. So that stuff generates in huge 3x3 chunk 50 z-level veins. So with any decent automated mining setup(which GT does not have) getting the raw material for things is not even all that hard. Now producing that power and and machinery to process that raw material in a reasonable time frame, that's hard.

That's GT5. GT5 doesn't even HAVE the fusion reactor or anything you need mass amounts of ore for. GT5 is pointless and dumb.

Basically in GT4 when you wanted to make a fusion reactor you would just set up huge quarries. That's it. No need to hunt endermen, since you can just get the emeralds required by quarry. Quarry the world, use mass amounts of resources to get fusion power, use fusion for ???

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

McFrugal posted:

That's GT5. GT5 doesn't even HAVE the fusion reactor or anything you need mass amounts of ore for. GT5 is pointless and dumb.

Basically in GT4 when you wanted to make a fusion reactor you would just set up huge quarries. That's it. No need to hunt endermen, since you can just get the emeralds required by quarry. Quarry the world, use mass amounts of resources to get fusion power, use fusion for ???

There is an unofficial GT5 with:

quote:

- Updated compatibility to Forge 1355+
- Fixed missing GemDust to GemPlate recipes.
- Fixed broken Railcraft recipes.
- Changed to new forestry honey name.
- Configs for generator effiency added.
- Made long numbers easier to read.
- Extended Galacticraft Support.
- Added config to disable all ic2 cables and replace them with GT cables:
- Added achievements

- Added Nuclear Reactor Components.
- Added Fusion Reactor (3 Tiers).
- Added Plasma Generator (3 Tiers).
- Added Magic energy generator (3 Tiers).
- Added Processing Array.
- Added Distillation Tower.
- Added 2 new batterys (LuV and UV).
- Added Soldering Iron.
- Added Magic Energy Absorber (4 Tiers).
- Added Quantum Tank (5 Tiers).
- Added Quantum Chest (5 Tiers).
- Added Wireless Redstone Covers.
- Added Pump(5 Tiers).
- Added Teleporter.
- Added Needs Maintainance Cover.
- Added Monster Repellator(5 Tiers) Range 16-256.
- Added Large Steam Turbine.
- Added Large High Pressure Steam Turbine.
- Added Large Gas Turbine.
- Added Large Plasma Generator.
- Added Player Detector Cover (Range 8 unpowered , range 32 powered 1eu/t).
- Added Large Heat Exchanger.
http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=11488

It was made using decompiled code because Greg doesn't use any version control at all and literally doesn't have the code for GT5 anymore since he overwrote it for GT6.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bigperm posted:

There is an unofficial GT5 with:

http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=11488

It was made using decompiled code because Greg doesn't use any version control at all and literally doesn't have the code for GT5 anymore since he overwrote it for GT6.

Oh well hey that's pretty cool!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bigperm posted:

Greg doesn't use any version control at all and literally doesn't have the code for GT5 anymore since he overwrote it for GT6.

Hahahahaha this is both unbelievably hilarious and totally unsurprising. git is not that hard to use :psyduck:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The thing about Gregtech and IC2, is that it was never meant for single player. I mean in it's first iterations when it was fun, yeah it had a SSP focus, because mods weren't used for multiplayer back then, but then people were running SMP servers, and when they all worked together they'd burn through all the "content" in a few days.

The bullshit came with that, the idea was that there would be a single reactor for a "town" or a group of players, not just one. Add on top of that Servers with "donation" shops, where people would donate and then get a reward, greg and IC2 were pushed into being more grindy, that way server owners could drain their people dry.

(With mining /warp access, materials for sale, extra taxes, in game funny money, that sort of thing.)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

bigperm posted:

:psyduck: What the gently caress? I'm not big on programming but one of the things taught in programming class is HAVING BACKUPS OF OLD VERSIONS. If this guy has been doing that crap for the entire time, he's just waiting for a power outage while saving and the whole thing becoming corrupted and un-recoverable.

Turtlicious posted:

The thing about Gregtech and IC2, is that it was never meant for single player. I mean in it's first iterations when it was fun, yeah it had a SSP focus, because mods weren't used for multiplayer back then, but then people were running SMP servers, and when they all worked together they'd burn through all the "content" in a few days.

The bullshit came with that, the idea was that there would be a single reactor for a "town" or a group of players, not just one. Add on top of that Servers with "donation" shops, where people would donate and then get a reward, greg and IC2 were pushed into being more grindy, that way server owners could drain their people dry.

(With mining /warp access, materials for sale, extra taxes, in game funny money, that sort of thing.)

:psyduck: If the content is "building machines" and not "using machines to build cool poo poo" then I think there is something wrong with that mod. Of course everyone not a zealot or a wanna be cult leader modder knows this.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

SugarAddict posted:

:psyduck: What the gently caress? I'm not big on programming but one of the things taught in programming class is HAVING BACKUPS OF OLD VERSIONS. If this guy has been doing that crap for the entire time, he's just waiting for a power outage while saving and the whole thing becoming corrupted and un-recoverable.

I just want to take this opportunity to remind everyone that gregtech at one point had a crash bug caused by Greg exceeding the maximum instruction limit of a single method.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SugarAddict posted:

:psyduck: If the content is "building machines" and not "using machines to build cool poo poo" then I think there is something wrong with that mod. Of course everyone not a zealot or a wanna be cult leader modder knows this.

To be clear, it made him a ton of cash from server kickbacks, and is not in fact a good thing.

e: the technic dudes could comment more on this then me, I just hung out in IRC those days, while kakermix was getting DMCA's

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well, I stand corrected. I guess my intuition had it backwards. I would assume passive cooling would sink heat that could be used for steam.
Same.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I suspect your proportional gain is too large if your PID is oscillating.

Nah, the issue is, the turbine energy buffer goes full or empty in 5-10 seconds while RPM takes like a minute to ramp back up/spool down. It works, technically, but it's ugly. I don't think PID can do anything about this, because the buffer is too small for the long response time, I'd have to set manual restrictions on it depending on load, but then I lose the point of using a PID (me not having to maintain the reactor).

I did a better thing now though. I have the turbine at optimal RPM, and I'm not wasting any yellorium/RF. Here's how it works:

PID controls the RPM and keeps it as close to 1800 as possible by using control rods. Turbine runs a duty cycle that keeps it as close to 50% energy as possible.

If I add a load to the reactor, the turbine RPM starts dropping due to increased duty cycle, causing the control rods to retract, increasing steam flow. If I remove load, the turbine speeds up, causing the control rods to extend, reducing steam flow.

This is so much my poo poo. :3:

e:

Truga fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 27, 2015

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

McFrugal posted:

The version of GT5 I played had working fusion, with the help of an ender quarry and editing the configs so that every GT process took only one tick to do anything I was even able to make one. Which lead me to find out that if you take the grind out of gerg tech it becomes a shot cut to doing most anything. If the Greg was not insane then his mod would provide cool alternate ways to move down other mods tech trees.

Truga posted:

That's really cool, would your program scale well for a reactor that was outputting steam to multiple turbines?

Hagop fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 27, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Truga posted:

I wish I had something I was really interested in and is as good as what you are interested in.

Knowing some programming is a good thing, and I know this especially because I have read the "a ticket came in" and "my boss tells me I don't scream enough" threads.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hagop posted:

That's really cool, would your program scale well for a reactor that was outputting steam to multiple turbines?

I'll know sometime during the weekend when I should have enough cyanite (and other crap) for my 2nd turbine. I think it should just work as is, but it depends on how the reactor will distribute steam to multiple turbines. If it puts even (or close to) amounts into all turbines. If it puts all steam into one until full, then the second, I'll have to do some steam routing via limiting flow into separate turbines. Either way, it should be fairly easy. to implement well enough

Once I get it going with multiple turbines I'll clean up the code a bit and post it.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Truga posted:

I'll know sometime during the weekend when I should have enough cyanite (and other crap) for my 2nd turbine. I think it should just work as is, but it depends on how the reactor will distribute steam to multiple turbines. If it puts even (or close to) amounts into all turbines. If it puts all steam into one until full, then the second, I'll have to do some steam routing via limiting flow into separate turbines. Either way, it should be fairly easy. to implement well enough

Once I get it going with multiple turbines I'll clean up the code a bit and post it.

Tesseract the steam from the reactor to the turbines, it'll evenly distribute between them. Then do the same for the water back to the reactor for a closed coolant loop.

Edit: literally put the tesseracts on the coolant ports, they have an unlimited transfer rate unlike pipes or tubes.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Compact machines seems like the coolest thing in the entire world to me. Cannot wait to play around with it.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
So when I start up ATLauncher, it loads up to a certain point, then it just stops. Here's the log from the console thingy.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I suspect your proportional gain is too large if your PID is oscillating. Edit: Also, don't bank too much on a PID working too well because your load is going to change. So your model is always changing. I'd recommend doing something fuzzier. Alternately, you can get lolmer's EZ-Nuke and be done with it. I will concede it's still fun to tinker with this stuff, but he had taken the extra steps of making cool display support.

Lolmer's EZ-Nuke for those interested, though it currently only works with ComputerCraft (1.58, 1.63+, or 1.73+). I welcome pull requests to add compatibility with OpenComputers which does not remove ComputerCraft support (such as determining if CC or OC is used and then calling an appropriate wrapper API). It's on my TODO list, but I haven't had the time. :cry:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
is there a mod that keeps all the bee stuff from forestry but leaves everything else out

i want bees

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
Here is a Blightfall Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glKe2kSfN3U

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Good luck with the map not getting corrupted on you!
I had to restart twice because of that.

I wouldn't be suprised if the the osmotic enchanter is still broken :argh:.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

30.5 Days posted:

I just want to take this opportunity to remind everyone that gregtech at one point had a crash bug caused by Greg exceeding the maximum instruction limit of a single method.

It's been years since I've touched Java, so what's this mean? Too many arguments in a method call that accepts a variable number of arguments?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So do you guys just kinda roll with terrible framerates on the megapacks, or is there something you can tweak? I'm getting like 20-30 fps on OMP for some reason, even out in the wilderness.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

GotLag posted:

It's been years since I've touched Java, so what's this mean? Too many arguments in a method call that accepts a variable number of arguments?

A single method was so long, it broke Java.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danger Mahoney posted:

So do you guys just kinda roll with terrible framerates on the megapacks, or is there something you can tweak? I'm getting like 20-30 fps on OMP for some reason, even out in the wilderness.

People hate optifine, but I swear by it and went from 30 -> 60 fps. Just get the right one for 1.7.10 and play with the settings until everything looks and works proper. (you sometimes have to turn off multi-core or Fast OpenGL because of chunk flickering.)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

30.5 Days posted:

Remember to use subroutines, kids.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The computer program to run the reactor looks pretty nice, and very fine tuned, but I would take a different approach to it if the turbines supported vanilla redstone, or at least RedNet. My ideal setup would be as follows:

A Big Reactor on active cooling, cranking out steam to be stored in an AE2 Extra Cells deal. This would control the reactor to make sure I had a big enough backlog of steam. How big is "big enough" is something I'd have to mess with.

There would be a handful of turbines, each with an RS latch set up so that when base power gets low enough, the coils are engaged. When it gets high enough, the coils are disengaged. This could be done with either an actual RS latch or a handful of pistons and a block of redstone.

There would also be a series of ME fluid export buses set to redstone control. If the turbine's speed drops below a certain number, start cranking in steam. If it gets above a certain number, stop cranking in steam.

It's not as elegant as many (most) other solutions, but this has the advantage of "this can be built and troubleshot without needing to know how to program."

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Truga posted:

You know you can make cyanite, Yellorium + sand in a crafting table - instant stacks of Cyanite...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Azanor's been talking up Thaumcraft 5 features and it looks quite interesting.

- Vis will no longer reside in nodes, instead it will reside in chunks as aura.
- Aura has a potential and current value, chunks gain bonuses or penalties based on the biome. Jungles will have high potential but have high terra and aqua, deserts will have low potential but have high ignis.
- Vis will move from chunk to chunk based on the differential of its neighbors but only if the difference is large, it's possible to spend and use up all the vis in an entire world.
- Aura nodes don't contain vis anymore and simply refill a chunk as a generator.
- Flux is now both an aspect and a type of vi that drains into the aura. If there's too much flux in the aura it can start to generate taint, flux will also spread across other chunks.
- There will be many systems to try and control flux and taint.
- Wands are now charged passively from the aura instead of directly from a node.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 28, 2015

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
we'll see, azanor... we'll see

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm actually interested to see what he'll do with void jars. Because it would sound like the best way to deal with extra vi in alchemy or whatever is to just pipe it straight into a void jar so it doesn't turn into flux and forget about it.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm actually interested to see what he'll do with void jars. Because it would sound like the best way to deal with extra vi in alchemy or whatever is to just pipe it straight into a void jar so it doesn't turn into flux and forget about it.

Warning if people didnt know, DO NOT ACCEPT TOME OF KNOWLEDGE TRANSFER,

If you do it will warp you to hell and back. (I found out the hard way)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

Azanor's been talking up Thaumcraft 5 features and it looks quite interesting.

- Aura has a potential and current value, chunks gain bonuses or penalties based on the biome. Jungles will have high potential but have high terra and aqua, deserts will have low potential but have high ignis.
- Vis will move from chunk to chunk based on the differential of its neighbors but only if the difference is large, it's possible to spend and use up all the vis in an entire world.
- Aura nodes don't contain vis anymore and simply refill a chunk as a generator.
- Flux is now both an aspect and a type of vi that drains into the aura. If there's too much flux in the aura it can start to generate taint, flux will also spread across other chunks.
- There will be many systems to try and control flux and taint.
- Wands are now charged passively from the aura instead of directly from a node.

So... TC2 again? I thought the chunk-based vis caused lag?

I'm not sure if I'm going to miss hungry nodes, or be glad they're gone. Or maybe they'll still be around, haha!

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

So... TC2 again? I thought the chunk-based vis caused lag?

I'm not sure if I'm going to miss hungry nodes, or be glad they're gone. Or maybe they'll still be around, haha!

The only thing that needed fixing is the research minigame

Why ruin a good mod

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

30.5 Days posted:

Jesus. What awful kind of spaghetti bullshit was he writing?

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for creating Technic Launcher/Solder. Some of my friends were interested in playing a vanilla-ish mod pack, so I created my own with Thaumcraft 4, Natura and some smaller misc mods.
Setting up Solder and publishing the pack was a breeze (although adding mods one by one took a while).

On that note, couple questions since I haven't played modded Minecraft a lot.
Which TC4 addons are good? We don't have any experience with TC4, so would it be better to just stick with it without addons for now?
Also, would Tinker's Construct fit with the magic-y theme without overlapping with TC4 a lot? All I know about it is that it adds more steps to creating tools, but almost every pack seems to include it.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Tinker's Construct has no thematic overlap with Thaumcraft, because it's about using a smeltery and other such things to make your own tools from parts, which are better than vanilla tools. It has support for using thaumium to make tool bits, but as far as I know, that's the extent of it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Demiurge4 posted:

gently caress no.

Seriously, gently caress that.
I absolutely hated the old method of Thaumcraft, where everything Aura/Vis related was insanely nebulous, and nodes all recharged from each other or not at all, and you could "run out" of vis, and everything was based on this impossible algorithm over the entire world. Sky Den suffered so much from this system that some people actually DID run out of Vis, and there's nothing you can do about it. The new node system in TC4 was such a huge improvement. Nodes were worth hunting down, they were fun to find and to mess with. Now we're tainting them with the old chunk/world bullshit systems? I thought we were past this!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm not a big fan of make-work mods or complexity for its own sake but I think Tinker's Construct makes a good total replacement for vanilla tools and weapons. It's slightly more complicated to get started with but it gives you a lot of freedom and interesting effects to play with.

Also its smelting aspect plays nicely with other mods, you can pipe liquids in and out with TE fluiducts, and pull out castings with item ducts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Pollyzoid posted:

I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for creating Technic Launcher/Solder. Some of my friends were interested in playing a vanilla-ish mod pack, so I created my own with Thaumcraft 4, Natura and some smaller misc mods.
Setting up Solder and publishing the pack was a breeze (although adding mods one by one took a while).

On that note, couple questions since I haven't played modded Minecraft a lot.
Which TC4 addons are good? We don't have any experience with TC4, so would it be better to just stick with it without addons for now?
Also, would Tinker's Construct fit with the magic-y theme without overlapping with TC4 a lot? All I know about it is that it adds more steps to creating tools, but almost every pack seems to include it.

There are some add-ons that bridge gaps between mods like thaumcraft and tinkers so you can use things like thaumium for your tools.

Tinkers construct is usually used for ore doubling and making BETTER TOOLS AND WEAPONS.
Example: You can make a cleaver that 1 shots everything weaker than an enderman, a logging axe that chops down entire trees, a scythe for reaping mobs or wheat en mass, a hammer that mines out 3x3 areas as fast as a diamond pickaxe and only requires cobblestone to fix.

Simple things that it does better than vanilla minecraft: It lets you put fortune 3 and looting 3 on everything, you can smelt things as you harvest/mine (charcoal from trees), tools are not lost when broken and just have to be repaired, Smelt ores directly into ingots (and smelting stacks with fortune), Add new things to mine... and craft...

Odd things that it does: it adds punji sticks (think spike pits), it adds floating slime islands, it adds baracades (think fences that take more damage), and some other odd things.

Nice things it does: Tinkers tools ARE 100% IMMUNE TO FIRE AND LAVA, tinker tools also take SEVERAL INGAME DAYS TO DE-SPAWN.

/wall-o-text