Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
Had a jambalaya party today. Here's some of the photos of everything that went into it! It was a ton of fun and everyone loved it :)

Cubed up pork shoulder marinating with spices

The finished, pecan wood smoked andouille (one of MANY)

The rig

Finished chicken and andouille sausage jambalaya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That all looks loving phenomenal man. Good stuff.
Was that pork shoulder what you ground up for the andouille?

This pales in comparison but is a recent batch of the same. Please excuse the dirty stovetop, had been cooking for almost 2 days straight with a bunch of different stuff when this got done.
I need to get some proper sausage to cook with. In the northeast all I can get are decent keilbasa, anything else I'm paying an arm and a leg for.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I'm planning another crawfish boil this in 2 weeks or so...and I'm planning on using lacrawfish.com again. Do you guys think it's worth an extra $8 (on 20lbs for $120) for the "purged" ones?

holttho
May 21, 2007

Purged shellfish have a slightly sweeter, but less ...aquatic?... flavor. They're also less likely (but not guaranteed) to have less grit in the 'vein'. If you were going to do it yourself, it takes a good 12-18hours to do it. Unless you or your guests truly prize that straight-from-the-bayou flavor that purging reduces, it is absolutely worth it for $8 on 20lbs.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

holttho posted:

Purged shellfish have a slightly sweeter, but less ...aquatic?... flavor. They're also less likely (but not guaranteed) to have less grit in the 'vein'. If you were going to do it yourself, it takes a good 12-18hours to do it. Unless you or your guests truly prize that straight-from-the-bayou flavor that purging reduces, it is absolutely worth it for $8 on 20lbs.

Who doesn't just rip out the vein when they eat crawfish. It almost always come out in one nice long piece. If you haven't taught you friends this basic skill about eating crawfish, you are just cruel.

I've had both, and while I don't think $8 when you are already spending $100 is a big deal, I wouldn't consider it absolutely necessary.

holttho
May 21, 2007

:agree:

Just depends on how squeamish you think your guests are.

Diff'rent folks; diff'rent strokes.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I don't even notice the vein. But when you are paying $120 for 20 lbs might as well go ahead and pay the extra $8.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don't even notice the vein. But when you are paying $120 for 20 lbs might as well go ahead and pay the extra $8.

This.

I don't think I've ever tried to devein any seafood. Just grew up eating the whole thing I guess before I ever knew what it was.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The whole process of eating a crawfish takes about two seconds--twist off the head, suck it, peel one segment and pop the tail in your mouth. Some people skip one or more of those steps.
Even when I'm peeling tails I don't pull out the vein unless it's really nasty.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The whole process of eating a crawfish takes about two seconds--twist off the head, suck it, peel one segment and pop the tail in your mouth. Some people skip one or more of those steps.
Even when I'm peeling tails I don't pull out the vein unless it's really nasty.

You forgot digging the meat out of the claws with the other half of the pincer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I feel like I'm getting old or something, I just don't go for crawfish like I used to. Partly it's because they've gotten more expensive, but partly it's just not worth it to eat 5-6 pounds any more - now I'd rather just have one pound and then some etouffee or something.

holttho
May 21, 2007

You know the old saying: If you can't eat several pounds of decapods in one sitting with no grains or roughage, you're too old!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

holttho posted:

You know the old saying: If you can't eat several pounds of decapods in one sitting with no grains or roughage, you're too old!

drat it i'm old

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
So there was a murder recently from a fight that started from an argument about a gumbo recipe.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/florida-state-mascot-killed-gumbo-argument-article-1.2275168

I want that recipe.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We have a family friend who comes up to visit every summer from outside Lafayette, Louisiana, and he always brings a cooler full of whatever we ask for. My shopping list was drawn from this: http://www.hebertsmaurice.com/Products.aspx. May die of happiness.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Comb Your Beard posted:

So there was a murder recently from a fight that started from an argument about a gumbo recipe.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/florida-state-mascot-killed-gumbo-argument-article-1.2275168

I want that recipe.

it's probably pretty bad that this was my first thought too...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I want more details. Who wanted what with the spices? Did Osceola want it too spicy, or too weak? Or did he want to put filé in okra gumbo? Are tomatoes "spices?" Was it seafood gumbo and somebody suggested Old Bay (get a rope)?

Also since we are on the subject of Cajun arguments I feel it appropriate to post this:

http://www.wwltv.com/story/news/local/lafourche-terrebonne/2015/06/09/houma-tank-top/28751943/

As my buddy from Houma put it, "Any time you start a story with 'Cookie Pierre said she was browsing the crawfish selection' you are bound to see some fireworks."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I want more details. Who wanted what with the spices? Did Osceola want it too spicy, or too weak? Or did he want to put filé in okra gumbo? Are tomatoes "spices?" Was it seafood gumbo and somebody suggested Old Bay (get a rope)?

Also since we are on the subject of Cajun arguments I feel it appropriate to post this:

http://www.wwltv.com/story/news/local/lafourche-terrebonne/2015/06/09/houma-tank-top/28751943/

As my buddy from Houma put it, "Any time you start a story with 'Cookie Pierre said she was browsing the crawfish selection' you are bound to see some fireworks."

This is amazingly ridiculous. You go around anywhere back home this time of year and everyone is wearing tank tops or less right now. This would make more sense in Monroe where you legit have nothing but crazy WASP people who probably still aren't comfortable with women leaving the house unaccompanied but makes no sense in Houma.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My gumbo spice mixture is equal parts Old Bay and Rex Creole seasoning. The logic being the strong celery seed flavor in Old Bay goes well with the seafood and the actual celery being in the Trinity. And the Rex had a nice ingredient list, more complex than Tony Chachere's. They're both salty, so you basically salt-to-taste.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Comb Your Beard posted:

My gumbo spice mixture is equal parts Old Bay and Rex Creole seasoning. The logic being the strong celery seed flavor in Old Bay goes well with the seafood and the actual celery being in the Trinity. And the Rex had a nice ingredient list, more complex than Tony Chachere's. They're both salty, so you basically salt-to-taste.

I just make my own but I don't really have anything against Old Bay.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I just make my own but I don't really have anything against Old Bay.

Same here. I started in the beginning with Tonys and now I just use garlic, cayenne, salt, black pepper and add in thyme and bay.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
drat, I haven't made gumbo in forever. Still probably the best thing I've made. Probably will once the the fresh red Cayennes come in in the garden.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I need to make gumbo after all this talk but never made it before.

Also, is there a time that is not good to order some crawfish from LA or its good all year? Any suggestions on places to order from and essentials to get?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The season only runs through the spring. Changes a little bit from year to year but generally from late February through late May.

You can generally get a big back of already cooked tails frozen somewhere in chinese markets and potentially online. They are... "OK". I personally would not use them and just find good shrimp to use them in whatever dish I had in mind instead.

I'll let someone else answer about ordering places. I am not even sure on that.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
My mom used cream of mushroom and French onion soup in her jambalaya. Also, I can eat my body weight in fried shrimp. And Yankees, if you ever have the pleasure to go to a crawfish boil, wash your hands before you piss. Y'all are making me homesick with this poo poo. :(

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
The fat in the heads is used to flavor etoufee. Take it out with a butter knife if you don't suck it out. gently caress I am homesick. Is it crawfish season still?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

thewireguy posted:

The fat in the heads is used to flavor etoufee. Take it out with a butter knife if you don't suck it out. gently caress I am homesick. Is it crawfish season still?

Nah its over by now sadly.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

You can still boil shrimp!

Look at these bastards, size of small cats

Beer for scale

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 12, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Beer for scale

I love those bigass white shrimp. Those things are awesome to toss in whole into a skillet with some garlic, green onion, butter, lemon and parsley with a dash or two of white wine and eat on some toast.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Q: being in Germany I can't find Andoulli(sp?). What sausage can I substitute?

Hopper fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 12, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hopper posted:

Kielbasa will work fine

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

That Works posted:

Kielbasa will work fine

Yeah I just use the smokiest and spicest i can find.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

About how much gumbo does the the OP recipe make? I need to know how many ingredients to buy.

Also where do you normally find shrimp stock?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If you can't make shrimp stock snd can't find it at whole foods, you can find the little shrimp bouillon cubes at an Asian or Hispanic market.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Beer for scale

Those are excellent size for BBQ shrimp. I still
have no idea why it is called BBQ shrimp....

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

About how much gumbo does the the OP recipe make? I need to know how many ingredients to buy.

Also where do you normally find shrimp stock?

Id guess around 6. Make cornbread with it, it owns.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That Works posted:

Id guess around 6. Make cornbread with it, it owns.

6... what, exactly? Cups? Bowls? Servings?

Can I refrigerate/freeze whatever I don't eat right after I make it and eat it later? Does it keep well? Cuz I was hoping I could eat it for lunch for several days.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Hopper posted:

knockwurst is probably the closest german equivalent, but i'm no expert

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

6... what, exactly? Cups? Bowls? Servings?

Can I refrigerate/freeze whatever I don't eat right after I make it and eat it later? Does it keep well? Cuz I was hoping I could eat it for lunch for several days.

Would feed 6 so at least 6 bowls, by not my recipe so only a guess.

Gumbo freezes fine. If you can leave the rice out and add it before eating / after thawing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Also about how much stock is a "Coupla things" in people-units?