Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

On some early iPhone 6 models (mine was launch day), the front facing camera was out of alignment with the hole in the front glass. It would look like a crescent moon on one edge of the hole, where some packing foam or camera hardware showed through.

It didn't affect image quality, but mine was getting worse over time. Also my phone was kind of beat up looking from not being in a case, so I decided to go take a gamble on them just swapping it. Sometimes they'd just do a screen repair instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

kitten smoothie posted:

On some early iPhone 6 models (mine was launch day), the front facing camera was out of alignment with the hole in the front glass. It would look like a crescent moon on one edge of the hole, where some packing foam or camera hardware showed through.

It didn't affect image quality, but mine was getting worse over time. Also my phone was kind of beat up looking from not being in a case, so I decided to go take a gamble on them just swapping it. Sometimes they'd just do a screen repair instead.

Oh wow I never use the front camera and just noticed my launch iPhone 6 has that issue.

Might as well head down and see if they'll swap mine out too!

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Just noticed my 6 has the same issue, and I've never noticed it before. I think I'll stop into the Apple store as well :)

Is it really a whole-phone replacement?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I mentioned the off-center camera in the notes when I created the Genius Bar reservation.

When the guy walked up to me, he had already read the notes and the first thing out of his mouth after introducing himself was "ok we're going to get some paperwork out of the way here so I can swap your phone out." I waited 20 minutes for the guy to get to me; he had me out of there in two minutes afterward.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Wow. When they replace the phone, do you have another opportunity to purchase Apple Care+ if you declined on the original purchase? I'm guessing the answer is no, if you didn't already have Apple Care.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Just noticed my 6 has the same issue, and I've never noticed it before. I think I'll stop into the Apple store as well :)

Is it really a whole-phone replacement?

It's probably going to depend on the store and what they have available. I had a light spot on my screen and they just replaced the screen, not the whole device. It has what kinda looks like light bleed now, so I might get it looked at, anyway.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Apple Store on 14th street in NYC didn't swap my phone out (this was a few months ago maybe procedures changed). They replaced the front screen (guess it's all one part). They fixed the issue but it's moved slightly again. Waiting to see if it gets worse but will most likely take it back later this summer and see what they do before the 6S comes out.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I would swap my iPhone 6 out but it's unlocked. This is the most first world problem in the world, got drat.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

I would swap my iPhone 6 out but it's unlocked. This is the most first world problem in the world, got drat.

The unlock state is on Apple's servers, not on the phone. If they do a warranty swap, the unlocked state transfers to the new phone.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

kitten smoothie posted:

The unlock state is on Apple's servers, not on the phone. If they do a warranty swap, the unlocked state transfers to the new phone.

I Was always curious about this. Presumably the phone with that specific IMEI is unlocked. When they give you a new on it has a different serial/IMEI. I Guess they check the lock status on your old phone and just copy the status on the serves?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
In do not disturb mode, why in the gently caress will the phone start to buzz like a motherfucker when someone calls you if you're using it to (discreetly) surf in a meeting? I thought the whole point of do not disturb was that it, you know, would not disturb.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Do you have Do Not Disturb mode to silence notifications "always" or "only when locked"? Setting it to "always" should keep it silent even when you're actually actively using it. Of course, I'm also assuming that you don't have any other exemptions such as calls from Favorites or repeated calls being able to override Do Not Disturb.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Thank you, I have found the guilty party. It's was in always mode, but it was letting repeated calls from same number through.

Not anymore!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

just_a_guy posted:

I Was always curious about this. Presumably the phone with that specific IMEI is unlocked. When they give you a new on it has a different serial/IMEI. I Guess they check the lock status on your old phone and just copy the status on the serves?

Yeah, exactly. Same thing if it was carrier locked - the info as to what carrier it "belongs" to gets replicated over to the new one when they do the swap.

Out of the box and after a factory reset an iPhone doesn't actually even know if it's unlocked or not, it gets that info from their activation backend.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Anyone try out the "Effective power" bug? It's pretty funny to do to someone when you see them using their phone. I have turned off my lockscreen and banner notifications for the time being so that people can't do it to me. I wonder how Apple will end up addressing the issue - seems like a pretty big bug to allow a simple text message to make someone's phone respring. Also it seems like it only works on devices with iOS 8.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

comper posted:

Anyone try out the "Effective power" bug? It's pretty funny to do to someone when you see them using their phone. I have turned off my lockscreen and banner notifications for the time being so that people can't do it to me. I wonder how Apple will end up addressing the issue - seems like a pretty big bug to allow a simple text message to make someone's phone respring. Also it seems like it only works on devices with iOS 8.

My son did it to me last night. It was pretty cool but I told him if he ever did it again I'd destroy him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They'll address it by issuing a patch.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Endless Mike posted:

Right, I guess I meant more like if they will explain the issue behind it or just sort of roll it out silently.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
it probably has nothing to do with the message and is likely just one of the specific unicode characters contained in it isn't mapped properly or something

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Actually, I tried it a few times and the message just never sent. I think they're filtering the message at the server level.

Which makes sense, it's a reasonable quick fix for a serious issue.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.

uninterrupted posted:

Actually, I tried it a few times and the message just never sent. I think they're filtering the message at the server level.

I believe server side patching is correct, a buddy tried to send this to me last night and my 5S running 8.3 was seemingly immune. Or he did it wrong.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

uninterrupted posted:

My boss just got me with it twice while reading the past few posts. Can confirm it's not fixed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apple may be able to block it if it comes via iMessage, but they can't do anything about real SMS.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

withak posted:

Apple may be able to block it if it comes via iMessage, but they can't do anything about real SMS.

I thought iMessage's encryption was totally hot poo poo. It would be worrying if Apple was able to read and block messages no?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Its encryption (AES128) is fine. People's passwords and refusal to use 2FA are hot poo poo.

By their own description, the full data in the message isn't encrypted (timestamp and APN data are unencrypted), so if only the text is encrypted (this might be a big assumption), they would just need to run a simple encryption of the message and block that server-side.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

comper posted:

Right, I guess I meant more like if they will explain the issue behind it or just sort of roll it out silently.
Well they sent this out to some site(s): “We are aware of an iMessage issue caused by a specific series of unicode characters and we will make a fix available in a software update.”

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

withak posted:

Except they are, which I have no idea how the gently caress that works unless my carrier got involved too.

Co-worker and I just tried to crash my phone and the unicode string that everyone is reporting just completely disappears. Any random auto-translated arabic string works fine but paste "the one" and the message just never shows up.

This is "real SMS" too, green bubble in iMessage, he's using an Android phone to send it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I wonder if it is your carrier doing it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe someone at the NSA is doing everyone a favor here.

UGAmazing
Jul 26, 2007

I buy used, damaged & broken Apple devices.
Quick question for someone who knows off the top of their head:

I jailbroke my old iPhone 4 years ago, to where I could use it as a hotspot tethered to my laptop. I now have a 5S; is there something similar that can be done now? Have they blocked that (or anything to where it's no longer possible)? I'm on Verizon. I've read conflicting things, and honestly things have changed so much even just in the past 3-4 years where trying to research it on my own is a bit harrowing. If it's not possible, no biggie. I just wanted to check.

Thanks in advance.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
If it's jailbroken, you can unlocktethering with TetherMe

UGAmazing
Jul 26, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

If it's jailbroken, you can unlocktethering with TetherMe

Thanks! Some quick followup questions if you don't mind:

1.) Back when I jailbroke my old 4, there was literally one program to open, attach the phone, and click "jailbreak". I can't remember exactly, but it was either "tinyumbrella" or "redsn0w", I believe. Is it still that way? Or are there several steps involved now, etc. ?

2.) Any idea if Verizon "monitors" this type of thing? I remember I could turn on "stealth" browsing (where it loaded the mobile version of all pages, etc); is this still necessary, or has there been any development in policy preventing Verizon from automatically enrolling me in their $20/month tethering, or just charging me a fee for tethering "unofficially", etc? I can't justify adding hotspot capability for 4 days of use.

Thanks again!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are you sure that your current plan doesn't include tethering (or personal hotspot or whatever the marketing term is)?

There is probably an entire thread about jailbreaking somewhere in this forum.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Go to Verizon's website and read about your plan. AT&T finally allows tethering for free. Been using the iPhone 6 stock since December. I couldn't last a week on the 4 without jail breaking.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

tesilential posted:

Go to Verizon's website and read about your plan. AT&T finally allows tethering for free. Been using the iPhone 6 stock since December. I couldn't last a week on the 4 without jail breaking.

Even if you have "unlimited" data?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

FishBulb posted:

Even if you have "unlimited" data?

Tethering will never be included with unlimited on Verizon.

UGAmazing
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, I just know when I go into the Cellular settings and click on "set up personal hotspot", it says "To enable personal hotspot on this account, please call...", etc.

I'm fine jailbreaking the phone to get hotspot/tethering to work for free, I just want to make sure Verizon won't "see" that I'm using it as such, and automatically add it to my account (not sure if that's even legal, but I'm also not sure if jailbreaking it to use hotspot for free is legal, heh).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

UGAmazing posted:

Yeah, I just know when I go into the Cellular settings and click on "set up personal hotspot", it says "To enable personal hotspot on this account, please call...", etc.

I'm fine jailbreaking the phone to get hotspot/tethering to work for free, I just want to make sure Verizon won't "see" that I'm using it as such, and automatically add it to my account (not sure if that's even legal, but I'm also not sure if jailbreaking it to use hotspot for free is legal, heh).

They can and have done that to people.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

UGAmazing posted:

Thanks! Some quick followup questions if you don't mind:

1.) Back when I jailbroke my old 4, there was literally one program to open, attach the phone, and click "jailbreak". I can't remember exactly, but it was either "tinyumbrella" or "redsn0w", I believe. Is it still that way? Or are there several steps involved now, etc. ?

2.) Any idea if Verizon "monitors" this type of thing? I remember I could turn on "stealth" browsing (where it loaded the mobile version of all pages, etc); is this still necessary, or has there been any development in policy preventing Verizon from automatically enrolling me in their $20/month tethering, or just charging me a fee for tethering "unofficially", etc? I can't justify adding hotspot capability for 4 days of use.

Thanks again!

Depends on the firmware. if you're on the newest firmware, there's nothing, but if you're on 8.1 you can use Pangu which is essentially the same process, yeah. http://en.pangu.io/

And I think Verizon does monitor it a bit more. I know AT&T didn't really give a poo poo when I did it, but they eventually just upgraded my plan to include tethering for free anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UGAmazing
Jul 26, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

Depends on the firmware. if you're on the newest firmware, there's nothing, but if you're on 8.1 you can use Pangu which is essentially the same process, yeah. http://en.pangu.io/

And I think Verizon does monitor it a bit more. I know AT&T didn't really give a poo poo when I did it, but they eventually just upgraded my plan to include tethering for free anyway.

Ok, thanks! I figured as much. I'm actually still on 7.1.1 (I was too lazy to clear photos/videos from my 16GB phone to ugprade). I guess that's a good thing now, thanks!