Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

dedian posted:

The 12' Kelty tarp would probably work, you're going to lose a little coverage since it's a diamond shape (so not as good in heavier/windier weather), but it'll work. I've also heard good things about the Hennessy Hex. Just don't be like me and DIY a sil-nylon hex tarp if you value your time. Sure $40 or so in materials sounds like a great deal, but it's a lot of (slippery) work.

Cool, thanks for the info. The Hex looks good as well, I will do some more reading and pick one soon. I am still looking at packs so I don't rely know how much space I have.

Vomik posted:

IMO - I'd pass on that Wiggy's bag. 4 pound synthetic bag is loving massive. My -10 down bag is 3 pounds and even with the extreme compressibility of down it's way too large in an event compression sack to want to deal with for regular hiking (luckily I only ever need it when I'm in Alaska early season.)

also a 20 degree bag is just uncomfortable as hell in the temperatures you'll spend a majority of your time hiking in. Synthetics sleep a ton colder but I bet you'll still be uncomfortable. You'll be happier with an actual super light down bag/quilt designed for 2-3 season use than trying to get a warmer bag in the idea that you'll use it all 4 seasons.

my general opinion outside of your question:

I can't think of any good reason to ever get a synthetic bag - the only advantage (stays warmer when wet) is nullified in extreme cold because you don't get wet in those environments and modern hydrophobic down, modern shells, and compression dry bags sacks have pretty much made extreme negligence the only way you're getting a bag wet enough for that to matter in other environments.

edit: I just checked this - that bag + overbag system that is rated to -20 is 7 pounds. That weighs more than a -60 degree down bag.

I am allergic to down, pillows kill me, not sure if bags will have that issue as well. In any case I am a super hot sleeper so maybe buying two bags would work out better in the end.

Can you recommend a bag in the $200 range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

bunnielab posted:

Cool, thanks for the info. The Hex looks good as well, I will do some more reading and pick one soon. I am still looking at packs so I don't rely know how much space I have.

I am allergic to down, pillows kill me, not sure if bags will have that issue as well. In any case I am a super hot sleeper so maybe buying two bags would work out better in the end.

Can you recommend a bag in the $200 range?

If you sleep hot then you definitely want to stay away from a 20 degree bag. I sleep quite hot as well and a 15 degree down bag had to be vented at 10k ft in the winter time.

Sucks that you're allergic to down - I don't really know much about synthetic sleeping bags. I'd test maybe going to an rei and seeing how you react to a down bag (assuming your allergy isn't severe, ofc) I did a cursory search on backcountry and there are 30+ sleeping bags synthetic around 3 pounds and under $200. I think there was a marmot one for $110.

Maybe someone here has experience using synthetic quilts or something for 3 season use? (Those would be much lighter and less sweat inducing)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yea, in retrospect I do want/need a smaller bag. I want to get the smallest pack I get away with so a small bag/quilt will be better.

I have been/am doing a tour this summer and when it is over in July I am going to take the month off. One of the things I want to do is take a hiking trip down the entire watered portion of the C&O canal towpath, fishing my way down to DC. It is a great intro to overnight multiday trips, it is flat as hell, has a ton of camp sites, places to get food, and if I get sick of it, a ton of places to get picked up.

I am trying to get my gear sorted out before I get back, I am going to do some yard camping this week to test out the hammock and figure out how to rig a tarp. At some point I will post a gear list for you all to pick apart. The hardest part is going to be getting my fishing gear pared down to a reasonable size and weight.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

dedian posted:

The 12' Kelty tarp would probably work, you're going to lose a little coverage since it's a diamond shape (so not as good in heavier/windier weather), but it'll work. I've also heard good things about the Hennessy Hex. Just don't be like me and DIY a sil-nylon hex tarp if you value your time. Sure $40 or so in materials sounds like a great deal, but it's a lot of (slippery) work.

This... I DIYed my first tarp, and it was seriously massive. Doesn't help that I cheaped out with urethane coated nylon instead of silnylon, but I wound up replacing it with a Mac Cat Hex tarp, and I couldn't be happier. Cost me more in the end trying to save a few bucks. Buy it right, buy it once.

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

I think I'm going to splurge and get these when I get my hammock.. I'm 5'10, and i would want it to be useable 4 seasons if I can, but I'm not a picky sleeper as long as I'm not freezing myself to death in the winter tbh. What length do you think I should go with for the UQ? You recommended me the 3/4 20* earlier, but I was wondering if that would stand if I would be trying to use it in the winter, or if i should do a 7/8 or full 20*. Doesn't get TOO cold here, but i run a bit cold.

That's a better question for hammockforums.net. I bought a full length underquilt, because I'm a cold sleeper and my DIY 3/4 synthetic quilt I sewed up last year just wasn't cutting it.

Most people go 3/4, and use some sort of spare clothes/pillow to stuff under their head for insulation and a small ccf pad to stuff under their feet for insulation. 3/4 is probably honestly better because it's easier to seal up both ends from drafts, not to mention lighter overall. I do a lot of winter backpacking, so I just wanted to go for maximum warmth when I bought my underquilt because a few extra ounces is 100% worth the extra comfort level to me. It's all personal preference.

Vomik posted:

IMO - I'd pass on that Wiggy's bag. 4 pound synthetic bag is loving massive. My -10 down bag is 3 pounds and even with the extreme compressibility of down it's way too large in an event compression sack to want to deal with for regular hiking (luckily I only ever need it when I'm in Alaska early season.)

also a 20 degree bag is just uncomfortable as hell in the temperatures you'll spend a majority of your time hiking in. Synthetics sleep a ton colder but I bet you'll still be uncomfortable. You'll be happier with an actual super light down bag/quilt designed for 2-3 season use than trying to get a warmer bag in the idea that you'll use it all 4 seasons.

my general opinion outside of your question:

I can't think of any good reason to ever get a synthetic bag - the only advantage (stays warmer when wet) is nullified in extreme cold because you don't get wet in those environments and modern hydrophobic down, modern shells, and compression dry bags sacks have pretty much made extreme negligence the only way you're getting a bag wet enough for that to matter in other environments.

edit: I just checked this - that bag + overbag system that is rated to -20 is 7 pounds. That weighs more than a -60 degree down bag.

Wiggy's bags are conservatively rated, a 20* bag means that it's been tested outdoors in real conditions, and that you will sleep comfortably in 20*. If Wigutow rated it by the lab system used by other manufacturers, it'd probably be rated to -10, same as your down bag. That being said, I don't think the multi bag thing is feasible for backpacking though.

The DWR coating on down will wear off after a few washes, and is arguably no more effective than the natural oils that were washed off to apply the DWR in the first place. It's basically marketing hype. You're gonna get wet in the winter, from the sheer fact of snow melting off your clothes and that's where synthetic handily beats out down.

Also, I would personally MUCH rather pack a warmer bag than you think you'll need. You can always unzip and stick your feet out to cool down, but you can't do much to add warmth once you're out in the sticks. Cold nights loving suck, and most sleeping bags have some very optimistic (downright laughable) ratings.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

OSU_Matthew posted:

Wiggy's bags are conservatively rated, a 20* bag means that it's been tested outdoors in real conditions, and that you will sleep comfortably in 20*. If Wigutow rated it by the lab system used by other manufacturers, it'd probably be rated to -10, same as your down bag. That being said, I don't think the multi bag thing is feasible for backpacking though.

The DWR coating on down will wear off after a few washes, and is arguably no more effective than the natural oils that were washed off to apply the DWR in the first place. It's basically marketing hype. You're gonna get wet in the winter, from the sheer fact of snow melting off your clothes and that's where synthetic handily beats out down.

Also, I would personally MUCH rather pack a warmer bag than you think you'll need. You can always unzip and stick your feet out to cool down, but you can't do much to add warmth once you're out in the sticks. Cold nights loving suck, and most sleeping bags have some very optimistic (downright laughable) ratings.

My -10 bag is feathered friends which are quite conservative as well. I've used it down to -25 with no extra clothing. In fact, this bag is used by himalayan climbers at high altitudes and low temps.

I've done a lot of winter camping and climbing (in fact, I just came back from 2 weeks in Alaska on the Ruth Glacier) and I've never seen anyone use a synthetic bag in those environments nor has my down bag ever got wet. Snow in very cold environments is almost always a very dry snow - extremely cold air doesn't release much humidity in the form of precip or wet snow.

As for the warmer bag vs colder bag, that's person to person, but IMO I get hot really easily so I personally would rather save the weight, bag space, etc.. Especially in the mid-atlantic which won't get that cold anyway even in the winter. But like I said that's my opinion

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

bunnielab posted:

Next question: I want to mess around with a tarp to go over my hammock, is there an option in between "$100 purpose built one" and "$15 hardware store tarp"? I have been looking at this 16x16 Kelty but I want to mess around with different set ups before I pick a size.

Buy a cheap piece of Tyvek, cut it to the shape you want, triple-fold the corners and punch grommets. Tyvek can be a little noisy in the wind, so wad it up and run it through the washing machine (no soap, cold water) a few times.

Or buy a cheap tarp :P

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
What's the "best-value" option for trekking poles?

I've never used them before and I'd like to start. Plus, I'll need them to keep my new tent up.

The poles will ultimately be for a week long backpacking trip in Yosemite. I realize I should practice with them before then.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Hackan Slash posted:

I've never used them before and I'd like to start. Plus, I'll need them to keep my new tent up.

The poles will ultimately be for a week long backpacking trip in Yosemite. I realize I should practice with them before then.

They're not the most popular retailer in this thread, but LL Bean accepts returns forever, for any reason. Splurge on a nice pair of poles from them and get them replaced when they inevitably break, jam, or get bent. They carry some nice cork gripped Black Diamond poles.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Hackan Slash posted:

I spent $50 on some of the previous year black diamond poles and had no complaints. You definitely want flick-lock poles and avoid the shock absorber ones. Cork handles are well liked but I had rubber handles and never had a problem.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

In general, what are the options like for hiking and backpacking on a budget? My wife and I are starting out with 1-2 hour hikes while we improve our stamina, but would like to work up to overnight trips. We also happen to have a pretty low income and seeing casual talk of $200 sleeping bags takes the wind out of my sails.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

LivesInGrey posted:

In general, what are the options like for hiking and backpacking on a budget? My wife and I are starting out with 1-2 hour hikes while we improve our stamina, but would like to work up to overnight trips. We also happen to have a pretty low income and seeing casual talk of $200 sleeping bags takes the wind out of my sails.

used gear sales, REI garage sales, steep and cheap, craigslist, used sport stores are all great options for getting into the outdoors on a limited budget, just bear in mind that good gear isn't cheap. A $50 bag from a bigbox sporting store isn't going to be poo poo compared with a $100-$200 specifically made for backpacking that you'd find at an outdoor store. It's going to be poo poo insulation about about 3lbs too heavy to walk around with.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

LivesInGrey posted:

There is a TON of information out there on backpacking on the cheap, including plenty of youtube videos about people discussing great places to save a lot of money. Lots of "300 dollar challenge" type articles and gear lists. Its really not all that expensive if you are willing to carry heavier gear and there is even a subset of backpackers who seem to really revel in making their own cheap gear.

Edit: Forgot to add, used gear might be the best source of cheap stuff you will find. Depending on where you live, there can be great finds out there.

cheese fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 28, 2015

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Thanks. I have no problem dealing with heavier unless my back gets as hosed up as the rest of me and I'll look around for things others have done. Since we're near a bunch of mountains, Craigslist will hopefully have things.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

LivesInGrey posted:

Good light and durable gear won't come cheap, but people have been hiking for years with much worse gear than what you'd be able to pick up used on the cheap. I mean, just look at what some people used to haul down the AT or the PCT. If you're walking 1-2 hours to improve stamina, it's not like you'll be hiking for weeks and weeks soon and will need to buy the lightweight gear which makes such trips more enjoyable. Summer is coming, which is an easy time to hike. You could find and sleep in shelters, then you'll only need a foam pad, a light sleeping bag and a backpack each and maybe something like a Trangia cooking set, unless you prefer to cook straight on the fire. I love all the gear I have and I'm not a rich man either, so I save up for one thing at a time, but really, as long as your shoes or boots fit you don't really need to spend your lifesavings to take a walk :)

Just think smart, like, use old water bottles to carry water, If your wife or yourself knows how to sew, it's pretty easy to make a decent quilt and there are a lot of guides online, you can make a decent fuel burner from two red bull cans, pick up some used packs on ebay, you could even just buy one foam sleeping pad, cut it in half and share it, putting your packs under your legs. The thing I enjoyed most about "going lightweight" wasn't the titanium pots, it was stuff like this, the DIY guides (sometimes called MYOG - make your own gear). Just get decent footwear and socks, whether it be trail runners or hiking boots, that's the one place where you really should spend a little money.

200 dollars is a little pricey for a sleeping bag IMO, but some of the guys here have even more expensive sleeping bags than that, some guy a page or two back just picked up a bag for 450 dollars. You don't need to do that in order to enjoy nature in the spring, summer or early fall, so please don't let it scare you off. And try to go light right from the beginning, it's a good exercise and it makes walking that much easier. In some extreme cases, this means cutting a toothbrush in half to save weight, but what I mean by light from the start is just things like don't bring an entire roll of toiletpaper for a single night outdoors, don't bring your biggest knife and flashlight, don't bring Infinite Jest, don't bring the entire bottle of sunscreen, etc. Just take what you need. It'll help keep costs down and walking more enjoyable.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

LivesInGrey posted:

Thanks. I have no problem dealing with heavier unless my back gets as hosed up as the rest of me and I'll look around for things others have done. Since we're near a bunch of mountains, Craigslist will hopefully have things.
What gear do you still need? It helps to put your gear list into a spreadsheet, then price out what you need instead of just trying to buy things as you think of them. You can go cheap-but-serviceable on a lot of stuff, such as:

Tent - Get a tarp at home depot, learn how to pitch it (get some guyline locks to help out). The easiest, cheapest, not-very-durablest bivy takes about 10 minutes to make with scissors, a few strips of tape, a trash compactor bag, and a huge piece of bugnet from a fabric store, just cut down the middle and tape the bugnet down there and around the head area to breathe better.
Pack cover - Big Pack scam, use a trash compactor bag inside your pack instead
Ground cloth - Big Tent scam, don't get one (use the bivy idea instead)
Stove - cold meals (best option) or DIY alcohol stove
Sleeping bag - here, get a down bag or quilt, keep it under 3 lbs get between 20 and 30 degree rating. This is probably going to be a wildly optimistic temp rating for a low-end bag, but you can always add layers if you expect inclement weather. REI Garage sales, craigslist, backpackinglight forums are good places to go for a used one.
Rain gear - get a set of Driducks
Pad - closed cell foam pad. Look at weight, bulk, and R-value
Water treatment - use tablets

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(

Hackan Slash posted:

Costco has CARBON trekking poles for 35 bucks. I'm not kidding. My friend used them for 500 miles of the PCT last year. I just picked up a pair to replace my old ones last week.

I was at REI the other day and they looked identical to the REI carbon poles that sell for 130.

If you don't believe me then at least listen to Andrew Skurka: http://andrewskurka.com/2012/costco-trekking-poles/

edit: Just read through the Skurka thing, the Costco poles have lever style locks now, so the only bad thing he had to say about them is no longer an issue.

blista compact fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 28, 2015

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Discomancer posted:

Tent - Get a tarp at home depot, learn how to pitch it (get some guyline locks to help out). The easiest, cheapest, not-very-durablest bivy takes about 10 minutes to make with scissors, a few strips of tape, a trash compactor bag, and a huge piece of bugnet from a fabric store, just cut down the middle and tape the bugnet down there and around the head area to breathe better.

Don't buy a home depot tarp. They're heavy and bad, and you will use it for 1 trip before replacing it with a real tarp. Just buy a real tarp to start with, for $30-50.

Discomancer posted:

Ground cloth - Big Tent scam, don't get one (use the bivy idea instead)
Lol. If you don't have a bivvy and the area is wet, you may want a ground cloth. Just use a sheet of plastic or tyvek housewrap or something. Just to get between your pad and the ground to stop water from coming up the sides of your sleeping bag.

Discomancer posted:

Sleeping bag - here, get a down bag or quilt, keep it under 3 lbs get between 20 and 30 degree rating.
Cheapo synthetic bags are entirely adequate. Yes, you should take the bag ratings with a grain of salt, especially if they are "30+" or "45+"

Discomancer posted:

Water treatment - use tablets
Try Aqua Mira drops or the Sawyer Mini instead. It's cheaper in the long run.

prinneh posted:

cutting a toothbrush in half to save weight

You know this is a joke, right? These days people just use either generic, no-frills rectangular plastic handle brushes ( since they dont have heavy rubber and poo poo on them) or these

I mean, I'm sure someone really has reccomended sawing off toothbrush handles to save weight, but when your toothbrush is 4 inches long its hard to brush your teeth. The *real* ultralight option is to just use fluoride chewing gum(if its a weekend trip).

Here's a question for the thread, right now I'm using a travel size toothpaste tube. Does anyone use the chewable toothpaste tablets? Tooth powder? Dr. Bronners (peppermint, or unscented?)How are they?

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 28, 2015

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Keldoclock posted:

Does anyone use the chewable toothpaste tablets? Tooth powder? Dr. Bronners (peppermint, or unscented?)How are they?
Bronners in your mouth? :stonklol:

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Keldoclock posted:

You know this is a joke, right? These days people just use either generic, no-frills rectangular plastic handle brushes ( since they dont have heavy rubber and poo poo on them) or these

I mean, I'm sure someone really has reccomended sawing off toothbrush handles to save weight, but when your toothbrush is 4 inches long its hard to brush your teeth. The *real* ultralight option is to just use fluoride chewing gum(if its a weekend trip).

Here's a question for the thread, right now I'm using a travel size toothpaste tube. Does anyone use the chewable toothpaste tablets? Tooth powder? Dr. Bronners (peppermint, or unscented?)How are they?

Yes, I know it's a joke, or at least it should be treated as such. So should the zpacks toothbrush, by the way, at least for long trips. This is why I called cutting your toothbrush in half extreme and gave several other weight saving examples concluding with going lightweight just means to carry only what you need. I was not advocating for a complete SUL doctrine, just that shaving some weight off does not have to be expensive, which I thought was very relevant to the question posed, since the guy is, like me, on a budget, but mostly because he mentioned 1-2 hour hikes to gain stamina. :)

prinneh fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 28, 2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I am a fan of the toob toothbrush: replaceable head and the toothpaste is stored in the handle. Very compact, very convenient. Has served me well.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

SeaborneClink posted:

It works fine, as long as you don't use too much. Then you're tasting peppermint all drat day.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

LivesInGrey posted:

When I first got into hiking I was broke as a joke. I've built up my gear closet slowly over time. I dont know of anyone who decided they wanted to get into hiking and dropped $2000 on all of the latest gear. Just take your time and look for bargains at all of the places people have mentioned. Backpacking doesn't have to be a super expensive hobby. If you shop smart, avoid all the fancy trends, and make your own gear the initial investment will last you years, decades even. I have a pack that's still going strong after hard use that I bought 7-8 years ago.

What I would do is look for a good pack first since you mentioned wanting to get stamina up and then go on overnights. Go to an REI or other outdoor store and try some on. See if you can have a knowledgeable salesperson adjust and fit the pack for you. If you like it and it's in your price range great. If not you now have a better idea of what to look for when you come across a bargain and can afford a pack.

After you get a pack start looking into tents. You can get a decent tent like a Eureka Timberline for around $150. Not the lightest weight but I've used it in the past and loved it. Classic design, sets up easily enough and will hold up in big storms so long as you guy it out. Or see if you can come across a used REI Quarter or Halfdome tent. Also great models, that will weigh less than the Timberline but probably cost a bit more. Tents would be the one place where I wouldn't skimp out and go super cheap yet. I think the biggest weight savings comes in a good tent. You dont want to be lugging around some 20 pound 3 person Coleman that takes forever to setup and breaks after one year.

So at this point you'd have a tent and a pack. The next big item would be a sleeping bag. Personally as you're getting started I wouldn't focus on bags so much. Good bags don't come cheap. Instead see if you can borrow someones ancient heavy bag. While it'll be heavier by about 2-4 pounds than a nice bag the big disadvantage will be bulk. Just roll it up as tight as you can and strap that sucker to the outside of your bag. I did that for a good year of hikes before I got a nice bag. It wasn't ideal but once you get moving it doesn't bother you to much. Just sucks to go off trail or bushwacking with. Upgrade your bags when you can, again looked for used deals or Craigslist.

Those 3 items are your big three. When you can afford to upgrade focus on researching replacements of those three the most. Take your time, read reviews, ask around etc. After those three you can get into the great alcohol vs gas stove debate, water filtering, trail hikers vs boots etc. In the meantime just get out and hike! Spend time outdoors on the trail soaking it all in and don't worry about gear so much. Just look at this nut!
http://www.outsideonline.com/1972806/incredible-french-adventurer-who-lost-his-way-alaska
Granted he died but you probably have more sense than him and aren't planning on sea kayaking in a pastic bag kayak.

Point is don't let a lack of gear keep you from getting outside. Don't worry about having to have expensive hiking clothing either. You'll come across the saying cotton kills a lot as you get into backpacking. And while yes it's not as good as synthetics or wool dont worry about dropping dead if you hit the trail in a cotton tee for a day hike. You can get cheap synthetic clothing at goodwill or even new at Target or Wal-Mart. Their workout clothing is pretty much the same thing you'd buy new at REI for twice as much. Andrew Skurka has a whole series of articles on clothing if you want to look into it further:
http://andrewskurka.com/tag/core-13/
Those 13 items would take you through pretty much anything in 3 seasons.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 28, 2015

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I'd say you need good shoes and a proper pack to start with. Everything else is jury-riggable.
For your first overnight trips, get yourself sleeping bags, a sleeping pad, then get a tarp and learn to make a shelter out of it. (I've gone without a tent on all my non-military service hikes :v: )

Apart from my shoes and my pack, all my poo poo is either hand-me-downs or bought second-hand. I really really want to get new stuff but now that i have money to spend on this poo poo i am paralyzed with choice.

Here's my men's fashion pic from last weekend. Laughing and being a big idiot who put his pack on before packing in his overcoat which was still hanging from the tree like a garish brown turd.
That's a god-awful polyester blend long sleeve shirt, a 100% cotton t-shirt and the best pants ever

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 28, 2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
When I first started hiking, my pack was about 65lbs for a weekend (and I used an SOL Bivvy for a tent even!)

Last trip, I was at 40lbs and most of that was food. This time, significantly longer and riskier, I'm at 14lbs and most of that is camera gear.

So yes, if you're savvy you just learn where to cut as the years go by.

Granted, using a frameless pack and sleeping on just 5mm of foam is not something most people are willing to do in order to have no weight on their back and make their pack a carryon for international flights. :v:

Rime fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 28, 2015

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah getting to the point where I could do two weeks with something small enough to carry on a plane was the moment I felt like a real backpacker. Stop carrying useless poo poo like knives and electronic crap, you don't need it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
If you're just starting out, I don't even see why you need a pack. Most national parks I've been to are set up for car camping plus day hikes, and you're going to move much faster with very little on your back. You could use a jansport bag or whatever.

For the base camp just rent a tent, bag, and mattress from rei and try it out and work from there.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Discomancer posted:

It works fine, as long as you don't use too much. Then you're tasting peppermint all drat day.

I used unscented and it kinda sucked but only for a few minutes. Doesn't really matter though

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah getting to the point where I could do two weeks with something small enough to carry on a plane was the moment I felt like a real backpacker. Stop carrying useless poo poo like knives and electronic crap, you don't need it.

My ULA Circuit fits easily in an overhead and it's still a pretty decent size bag.

I also am of the opinion that there's ultralight and then there's stupidlight. Always makes sure you're not skipping equipment that you might actually need or that could make your trip unsafe if you don't have it. This usually happens with people not packing appropriate clothes or such and getting into bad weather they're not prepared for

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yeah, like skipping a spare pair of pants. That's just idiotic. :v:

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

This is pretty self-evident, but you could also do what I do when I'm at the end of one of my non-camping trips and just make a list of everything you brought that you ended up not using. That really helps you streamline better for next time.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Keldoclock posted:

I've tried Dr. Bronners and it was terrible.

My latest toothpaste method is to portion out tiny toothpaste dots onto wax paper then dehydrate them. Sprinkle with a little baking soda then drop in a small ziploc. To use, pop them in, chew a bit then brush as normal. Call me a gram weenie, but I like it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
You don't really even need toothpaste if you don't mind not being minty fresh, most of the benefit comes from the actual brush. I also doubt going without fluoride for a couple of weeks is going to do much harm considering most of us have it in our water we drink every day at home

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

SeaborneClink posted:

Bronners in the mouth is really no big deal, I do it all the time, including at home when I run out of toothpaste and haven't bought more yet. Just use a tiny bit.

Also I exclusively brush and wash with Bronners while backpacking because (besides saving weight) call me over the top, but I don't want to spit anything too harsh into the bushes.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The little travel tubes of toothpaste weigh two ounces. Cut your toothbrush in half and you'll make up for most of that weight. Booya

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah the weight isn't a big deal... I guess I'm a grungy bastard who doesn't mind washing his mouth out with soap :shrug: and also I often have a minimalist attitude in terms of items rather than weight. My packing list is far from the lightest in the world, but hell if I'm gonna carry two tubes of things when one of them technically fills both functions.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

SeaborneClink posted:

FOR YOUR FOUL MOUTHED WICKEDNESS YOU WILL FEEL THE COMING FIRE OF THE LORD (paragraph 4 subsection three of the moral ABCs)

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 28, 2015

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
please floss

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

alnilam posted:

Bronners in the mouth is really no big deal, I do it all the time, including at home when I run out of toothpaste and haven't bought more yet. Just use a tiny bit.

Also I exclusively brush and wash with Bronners while backpacking because (besides saving weight) call me over the top, but I don't want to spit anything too harsh into the bushes.

I would have respected you more if you had cited the cool fresh feeling the undercarriage has for a bit after scrubbing down with Bronners :colbert:

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I have a ULA Cdt I bought in February that I want to get rid of. M torso/L hip belt, original style shoulder straps, Purple Blaze color, all accessories minus the elastic shock cord bottle holders. I used it for one overnight trip in Hawaii, so its pretty much brand new. I wanted to use it on my azt hike, but decided I needed a few extra ci for longer food carries. I'd like to get 110 shipped for it. If anyone is interested I will post a thread in SA mart and we can go from there.

http://i.imgur.com/L7Gp8OXl.jpg

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Yes, but take no more than an inch of floss per week of trip. THAT poo poo ADDS UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Let's see here... a poem by Longfellow, with "small assist by soapmaker Bronner"? Hmm

quote:

Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!—
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem.
Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art, to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul.
Not enjoyment, and not sorrow,
Is our destined end or way;
But to act, that each tomorrow
Find us farther than today.
Art is long, and Time is fleeting,
And our hearts, though stout & brave,
Still, like muffled drums, are beating Funeral marches to the grave.

In the world’s broad field of battle,
In the bivouac of Life,
Be not like dumb, driven cattle!
Be a hero in the strife!
Trust no Future, however pleasant!
Let the dead Past bury its dead!
Act, —act in the living Present!
Heart within, and God overhead!
Lives of great men all remind us we can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us Footprints on the sands of time;
Footprints, that perhaps another,
Sailing over life’s solemn main,
A forlorn and shipwrecked brother,
Seeing, shall take heart again.

Let us, then, be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate;
Still achieving, still pursuing,
Learn to labor and learn to write
Til we rally, raise, unite!
In our Eternal Father’s great All-One-God-Faith. All-One! Unite.

Who can spot the small assist by Bronner? I can't tell.... :confused: