Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They'd have to create entirely new gameplay segments for the beginning of the game and the part of the game where somehow Rebecca teleported to Raccoon City in RE 2's Umbrella labs as Billy isn't around in those sections.

She didn't teleport to Raccoon City. Birkin's lab is way the hell out in the forest, as signified by the dense canopy of pine trees that's visible outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wanderer posted:

She didn't teleport to Raccoon City. Birkin's lab is way the hell out in the forest, as signified by the dense canopy of pine trees that's visible outside.

In that case the sewer system and cable car in RE 2 are far smaller ingame than they actually are. Because the forest is a good 10-20 miles from the outskirts of the city.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

In that case the sewer system and cable car in RE 2 are far smaller ingame than they actually are. Because the forest is a good 10-20 miles from the outskirts of the city.

I think it's been mentioned before that RE2 didn't do a good job of showing just how long that cable car ride supposedly was.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Golden Goat posted:

It'd be interesting if they created some sort of coop for it. Not loving likely but it'd be nice.

They need to remake the Outbreak games. They were great back in the days of PS2 online multiplayer.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Birkins's lab was in Outbreak and you could finish its boss by repeatedly slamming the train into it, it was great. And I loved how they handled the final boss.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Man imagine that game with actual communication possible! Part of the charm would be gone because most people are going to be using party chat and not the weird callouts but the gameplay itself is such a twist on the old style RE formula that everybody needs to experience it!

Imagine a whole new generation of people raging that they didn't get to be Kevin or Mark :getin:

On another note i just got the good ending of Rev 2 and holy crap is it an improvement over the other one! Wonder why they decided to have it be such an arbitrary trigger that is easy to miss if Claire is a better button masher than Moira. It was a worth it for COME AT ME, SHE-WESKER! it's a nice touch that they actually change you over to the special Magnum for that part too. My player 2 was definitely happy to have a chance at shooting a gun and it even the rocket launcher we though was strangely absent from this installement!

Risky
May 18, 2003

My brother is going to Japan next month and I'm really interested in him picking up some cool Japan only Biohazard swag. Is there anything out worth looking for or coming out soon?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Risky posted:

My brother is going to Japan next month and I'm really interested in him picking up some cool Japan only Biohazard swag. Is there anything out worth looking for or coming out soon?

A glass or something from that Biohazard-themed restaurant (is that place even still open)?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, is there a fix to this control freeze bug i'm encountering on what i'm assuming is the first stage of the final boss in the 4th episode of revelations 2 (PC version)?

After the cutscene where she-wesker injects herself and i'm returned to the "gameplay" i'm frozen in the spot and the only button on my 360 controller that works is the start button. My mouse cursor is also on screen but keyboard controls aren't working either.

edit: gently caress it, i just watched the fight/ending on youtube. Turns out there's loads of people with the issue and no fix.

Other than the lovely boss bug, the game was quite enjoyable. I maybe could have done with less of the co-op buddy stuff, but as far as atmosphere goes, it's by and far one of the better resident evil games made. It really nailed the claustrophobic Saw/gore/silent hill style vibe a lot which i guess is a bit of a shift from it's original tones, but does kinda work well even in a guns blazing action game.

Kin fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 30, 2015

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Kin posted:

So, is there a fix to this control freeze bug i'm encountering on what i'm assuming is the first stage of the final boss in the 4th episode of revelations 2 (PC version)?

After the cutscene where she-wesker injects herself and i'm returned to the "gameplay" i'm frozen in the spot and the only button on my 360 controller that works is the start button. My mouse cursor is also on screen but keyboard controls aren't working either.

edit: gently caress it, i just watched the fight/ending on youtube. Turns out there's loads of people with the issue and no fix.

Other than the lovely boss bug, the game was quite enjoyable. I maybe could have done with less of the co-op buddy stuff, but as far as atmosphere goes, it's by and far one of the better resident evil games made. It really nailed the claustrophobic Saw/gore/silent hill style vibe a lot which i guess is a bit of a shift from it's original tones, but does kinda work well even in a guns blazing action game.

I had that same issue happen to me, but It didn't do it all the time though. I just kept choosing the reset to last checkpoint option and skipping the cutscene until the controls worked. took a couple of tries.

I also agree with your overall assessment of the game. It started slow, but once I got into it I really enjoyed it. I'm hesitant on playing past the campaign on the PC version though until I see how the Vita port turns out. If I'm going to invest a ton of hours into the Raid mode content, I think going mobile would be the better option.

Also, in regards to the ending: Short-Haired Claire wearing Ada's red silk shirt :eyepop:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, Revelations 2 is real bad. It's the only modern-style RE game that I've played and haven't liked. It's a huge step back from RE6, but I can forgive that. It plays more sluggishly than any game since RE4, the partner stuff adds nothing to the game and is an annoyance, and though all RE games basically railroad you from start to finish, this in particular feels hugely linear, moreso than any other RE title.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 2, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, Revelations 2 is real bad. It's the only modern-style RE game that I've played and haven't liked. It's a huge step back from RE6, but I can forgive that. It plays more sluggishly than any game since RE4, the partner stuff adds nothing to the game and is an annoyance, and though all RE games basically railroad you from start to finish, this in particular feels hugely linear, moreso than any other RE title.

I didn't hate it but I think the biggest problem is that it has no real strengths.

Like RE6 had boatloads of flaws but it was bolstered by some strong setpieces and a great melee combat system and so-on. Rev2 is like... okay? It exists? It doesn't have anything that makes me want to play it over any other RE game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I could not bring myself to turn the game back on after finishing the first chapter in one sitting. There's just something to the combat that I really hate, like I want it to be more like 4-6.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I very much enjoyed the story mode of Rev 2, but Raid mode is a bit of a wet fart and I don't like the weird compromise they have between Rev and RE6 gameplay styles, I wish they'd just pick one or the other. (And ideally they'd pick 6)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
6 has the best gameplay of the entire series but for some reason everyone seemed to cry about it so I'm sure Capcom had to walk it back a lot.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

1st AD posted:

6 has the best gameplay of the entire series but for some reason everyone seemed to cry about it so I'm sure Capcom had to walk it back a lot.

When people criticize RE6, the combat usually isn't the main thing they criticize. The game really suffers from being bloated to the point where the combat doesn't feel like it's center stage for much of it.

Revelations 2 suffers from uneven game design. You have really awesome parts like the slaughterhouse section and then you just have monotonous and bland parts like the sewers. God drat, gently caress sewers forever. I mean, hell, does that island really need that much storm drainage?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I have seen a lot of people complain about the combat in RE 6, but it's usually comments like "Bullets don't do anything, enemies are bullet sponges like they are in ORC" or "Shooting an enemy in the leg and running up to melee them doesn't do much and it drains my stamina, game loving sucks I can't play it like RE 4 and RE 5".

Outside of the pacing issues and the uneven setpieces which range from awesome to infuriating, the biggest crime RE 6 commits is that the tutorial is one of the most worthless tutorials in the history of games and the game itself didn't come with a manual, just a link to a PDF manual on some dark corner of the internet. It doesn't teach you how to play the game at all, you either have to figure things out for yourself or look up a community guide online from someone else who figured it out. It wouldn't be so bad but the game demands you get good pretty much right from the getgo and it doesn't introduce the gameplay mechanics in a natural way like, say From Softwares Souls/Bloodborne games do either.

As for Revelations 2, I myself rather like it. I just wish it wasn't so obviously a budget title, I swear some of the textures in Revelations 1 looked better on the 3DS than some of Revelations 2's textures.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Huh. I'm surprised to hear the Rev2 hate; I actually really enjoyed it - The campaign, anyway.To me it seemed to strike the perfect balance between agile shootymans and classic RE horror-ish settings, never going as stupidly, insultingly over the top as RE5 or RE6 but still being unbelievably corny and dumb in that lovable Resident Evil way. The villain and the setting both felt very appropriate, and I quite enjoyed the characterization of our leads - Claire's "sick of this poo poo" attitude was both amusing and relatable, and anyone who doesn't like Barry has no soul. Moira felt like a typical bratty teenager, swinging wildly back and forth from terrified to trying to impress everyone with how tough she was, but in doing so she felt pretty realistic.

I mean, Rev2 definitely didn't break the mold. It was nothing revolutionary and took no real chances. But it was a very solidly put together little game, not doing anything new but doing everything it DID tackle very competently.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

1st AD posted:

I'm finally doing a proper co-op campaign of RE6 and I absolutely love the game. It's a bit less focused than RE5 was but I adore how ambitious it is. It throws a LOT against the wall and not everything sticks but there is a core of a game that I wish they'd build on for later entries. I wish all RE games had co-op like RE5 and 6 do. They are definitely more actiony but I've had more fun with those two games than anything else in the series.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I do think the campaign of Rev2 is excellent, if nothing else. It sounds weird but I actually really liked the character-swapping dynamic involved in playing solo.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It would be better if it had RE6 gameplay on top of the character swapping.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo, they actually patched the game, and now the events work!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

abagofcheetos posted:

Holy poo poo, they actually patched the game, and now the events work!

So that's what that was, awesome.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

1st AD posted:

It would be better if it had RE6 gameplay on top of the character swapping.

No doubt, I actually feel like RAID mode pretty harshly discourages melee which just feels wrong for RE to do at this point.

There's no reason to punch a monster since Greedy Killer/Soul Eater specifically only work if you kill the monster with a gunshot, there's no damage bonus for landing a simultaneous strike with your partner, it's just generally slower and not as satisfying, especially since there aren't that many unique animations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Someone on Neogaf did a comparison of RE0 GC vs. the Remaster, looks like Capcom didn't destroy the working files this time:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Typical, they lost the original assets for a lot of REmake but still had all of the RE 0 assets to redo.

Oh well at least it looks pretty great.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

That does look quite nice! Also, is there anything RE-related at Capcom's E3 thing? Seems like it's all Street Fighter V and Megaman Legacy.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hey folks, quick question to see if anyone else had similiar problems with Rev 2:

Just got it last night and jumped into Raid Mode (which I totally love and will probably sink many hours into), but I've been having the problem of my CPU maxing out when I load into certain levels and eventually making GBS threads itself into hard locking my computer. I've taken to playing in Windowed mode with my task manager up just to keep an eye on it so I can kind of pause the game to let the CPU settle when it happens, but it's getting kind of frustrating and annoying to deal with as if I'm not paying attention, whoops computer's hardlocked again!

All my graphics drivers are up to date, and my specs for this machine which I'm pretty sure surpass the minimum requirements for the game:

CPU: AMD FX 8100 eight core
8 GB of ram
Geforce GT 610

Has anyone else had these problems? Am I maybe just really dumb and my computer is just not good enough for handling this game?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Geight posted:

That does look quite nice! Also, is there anything RE-related at Capcom's E3 thing? Seems like it's all Street Fighter V and Megaman Legacy.

I figured they're going to show off RE-whatever at TGS this fall.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I figured they're going to show off RE-whatever at TGS this fall.

That makes sense, that's usually where they've shown off RE stuff before. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything because I haven't paid nearly as much attention to E3 this year as I have previously.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
RE sale on Steam today, including RE4 HD at £5 (lowest to date I think).

I guess Operation Raccoon City is selling too well to justify a discount :v:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I haven't played a RE game since 6 - I'm not sure out of Revelations 1, 2, and the RE 1 remake, which I should get. I don't plan on going through raid mode a lot or replaying it over and over . It seems that the revelations 2 season pass is only missing raid content - do I really need the full thing for the best experience?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

clockworkjoe posted:

I haven't played a RE game since 6 - I'm not sure out of Revelations 1, 2, and the RE 1 remake, which I should get. I don't plan on going through raid mode a lot or replaying it over and over . It seems that the revelations 2 season pass is only missing raid content - do I really need the full thing for the best experience?

re1 remake out of all those games is easily the best by miles but it's also wildly different in style as it's not a shooter
if you're looking for a shooter i'd still avoid rev1/2 as they're both really plain and boring. nothing too fantastic about them for varying reasons

if you're more open to the old style, then REmake all day as it's literally the best in it's genre

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Fereydun posted:

re1 remake out of all those games is easily the best by miles but it's also wildly different in style as it's not a shooter
if you're looking for a shooter i'd still avoid rev1/2 as they're both really plain and boring. nothing too fantastic about them for varying reasons

if you're more open to the old style, then REmake all day as it's literally the best in it's genre

done!

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

I like how Operation Racoon City isnt on sale and its the worst one by far.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

People saying to avoid the Revelations games really surprises me because they were well received at the time and I personally enjoy them for at least attempting to reconcile the horror roots of the series with the more action styled gameplay of RE 4 onwards.

So I'm curious as to why the consensus changed?

Also don't buy Operation Raccoon City. People who complain about RE 6 sucking would have an aneurysm with that game. It's seriously one of the worst games I've ever played and I'd go as far to say it's the worst Resident Evil related game out there, worse than Survivor, Dead Aim and Gaiden even. Nothing about it is fun, well designed or interesting to play through and even standard zombies take far too many shots to kill on the standard difficulty and don't even react to your bullets at all.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Mr. Fortitude posted:

People saying to avoid the Revelations games really surprises me because they were well received at the time and I personally enjoy them for at least attempting to reconcile the horror roots of the series with the more action styled gameplay of RE 4 onwards.

So I'm curious as to why the consensus changed?

My opinion didn't change, it just took a while for me to get around to Rev2. Rev1 is mediocre- its origin as a handheld game is very clear, it plays as a markedly downscaled modern RE title, and I'd only recommend it to fans of the series. I enjoyed it okay. Rev2 just repulsed me by the end of the first chapter. I hate the partner switch mechanic and it felt clunky and uninspired.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Steinuh posted:

I like how Operation Racoon City isnt on sale and its the worst one by far.

They must have some sort of licensing issue because the development was outsourced, because the DLC NEVER goes on sale either. lol if they think anyone is paying $20 for the two story DLCs...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Rev2 is my favorite RE game. I played coop the first time through, though. The switching is OK even if you have to babysit the AI some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

The Revelations series is really good. Rev 2 has some parts that you have to do to get the good ending which require you to replay 2 parts of the game. Raid mode is improved if you played it on the 3DS or HD editions.