Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Someone posted "Maybe this was the big move that Bob Ryder was talking about" on Mecca and it was gone in like 30 seconds flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

My mistake it was that Gabe arranged a buyout

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
He's technically not wrong in that Wednesdays will be a huge night for wrestling with a new "Big Three" of NXT/LU/ROH, just... TNA won't be a part of that very soon.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I do agree with that guy that TNA's roster isn't exactly loaded with talent and it wouldn't benefit ROH at all to do a crossover show.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

njsykora posted:

I do agree with that guy that TNA's roster isn't exactly loaded with talent and it wouldn't benefit ROH at all to do a crossover show.

All of the TNA guys I'd want to see against ROH guys were originally ROH guys in the first place.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gabe Sapolsky on speaking terms with anyone in ROH, that's a good one.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Not sure which is more amazing: that these jabronis think Gabe still runs ROH or that TNA could buy ROH

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the people have brain problems

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

WHY DO THEY LOVE A LOGO SO MUCH

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
TNA is like a barbed wire monkey from Harry Harlow's studies: most people ignore it unless they absolutely need sustenance, but I guess some people don't know better.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Name change to TNA Horror Monkey I call it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The parallels between TNA Mecca and Hillary is 44 are amazing. We'll be getting "This is good news!!! For TNA!!!" any day now.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nut Bunnies posted:

The parallels between TNA Mecca and Hillary is 44 are amazing. We'll be getting "This is good news!!! For TNA!!!" any day now.

The big difference between Hillary and TNA is that Hillary will be on TV next year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nut Bunnies posted:

I hope abm90 posts on the Mecca.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

The big difference between Hillary and TNA is that Hillary will be on TV next year.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Nut Bunnies posted:

Man, it's taken me since I bought this drat avatar to forget those guys. It was basically like the Japanese soldiers on remote pacific islands who never believed the war was over.

Wrap it up ROHmailiures!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Please do not use goon quotes in this thread or be mean to me.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Can't stop laughing at this. Good work.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

wwesucks.com

quote:

Name: BJC1990 : 2015-05-24 09:44
I'm barely a fan of this crap we call modern-day PW, I've been dirt poor all my life. I once bought into the idea that the indys were better the poo poo on the tv. Then I discover that as indy wrestlers put on much better matches, some of the storylines are still full of the same ol' crap I see on tv, that I was trying to escape from. I've discovered PW in late 2007, at the end of the ruthless aggression era. I agree that The PG Era killed has all but WWE. Thats why, in 2008, I switched to TNA the second I discovered. I seen the writing on the wall. Was nvr into ROH much as it was just a ripoff origonal ECW, but I tried. Then came The Brisco Bro's to turn me off from ROH for yrs to come. Back in early 2007, I researched the living hell out of the history of the PW industry & WWE alike. In the process I've learned every little weakness (& strength) of WWE. I know their every weakness & exactly how to take them out & take their spot. Repeal & replace. I have countless ideas how to revolutionize this industry. All I need now is afew more lessons I can't learn via the internet. Afew hand-on lessons on how to run a pro wrestling promotion, & alot of money & I'm all gd to go. The idea of creating my very own wrestling promo has been bugging me since 2007. I looked at WWE when turn I was 18 & said with surety, "I can do better then this." The idea comes & goes, & refuses to leave me be for gd. I'm dirt poor & I flat suck at social networking, but I seem to be natual at marketing & managing a bisness. I'm thinking about getting the money through crowdsourcing/funding. I think its time to bring back legitimate, timed/clocked, matches...no rounds ofcourse, I'm not going that farrr. I want the ME to truly voted for by the fans, or truly fan-made. Fans can vote for the stipulation &/or who will peticipate in the ME match. Champion's open challenge to the world? No problem. Any pro wrestler or fan on Earth, even if under WWE contract, can take the challenge. Just sign the waver that states that my company IS NOT responsible for any bodily harm, & that you wrestle on your own behalf, & not for any company. The wrestlers would be paid 40% of whatever money the fans bid on them when the when. The loser only gets $1,000-2,500. No one bids on you or your match? You get paid the defualt amount of $1,000. Camras on drones & body cam on the refferies for the best viewing experience possible. One of my ideas is to have pressure sensors under the mat to send info to the commentaters laptop to give them scientific fun facts to share with the fan a wrestler gets chokeslammed for exp. Some names I'd like on my early days roster to put my promo on the map; The Von-Eric Bro's. Ted Dibease Jr. & his brother, Jeremy Blanchard, Kid Kash, Divari, that ??? Fish guy & Richie steambout, & Samoa Joe would be nice, but thats just wishful thinking. Thats my pipedream idea that I'm really contemplating as of late. Is it worth my money to do this? Would you, as a fan, like to see this become a reallity? If so, would you get behind it? I always say, starting a wrestling promo today, is like buying a circus in 1925. Is it worth the risk/gamble? Tell me what you think, & feel free share your ideas & opinions, plz. Wrestling for the fans, by the fans.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I don't think this incredibly smart guy knows pro wrestling is fake

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Also I liked ROH until I saw the Briscoes ignoring the fact that the Briscoes have been there since day one and were in TNA

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
??? Fish Guy would be a way better name for Bobby

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Vince Russo did a quick hot take video in which he ate a sandwich and yelled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEamh7K8VH8

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

??? Fish Guy would be a way better name for Bobby

Not gonna lie it took me a second to realize that ??? Fish Guy wasn't just him trying to remember Shark Boy's name.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I am a marketing wunderkind who doesn't know how twitter works

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Everything about this is golden.

"I always say, starting a wrestling promo today, is like buying a circus in 1925"

Really. Do you really always say this. :what:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

when u get worked

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I am a marketing wunderkind who doesn't know how twitter works

Or spell check.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Or spell check.

It's Dixie?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

epitasis posted:

when u get worked

lookit this jabroni mark who doesn't know it a work when you work a work and worked themselves into a shoot.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

business ranch

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

Chris Regal vantheman77
20 hours ago
I imagine Richards and Edwards are happy with the money they're making in TNA and are quite content getting a regular paycheck

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Doesn't Davey collect a regular paycheque from his EMT job?

e: I know this has been mostly TNAChat for a while but I don't think anyone posted that Babinsack is Babinback.

quote:

Breaking Kayfabe: Terry Brunk (Sabu) DVD Review
May 19, 2015 By: Joe Babinsack Category: WWE | Pro Wrestling

It’s easy to oversell the Breaking Kayfabe series. Unlike the “shoot” type interviews of the past two decades, we’re starting out with a more serious look at professional wrestling: by looking at the person (and not the persona), by looking at the humanity (and not the work), by looking deeply at the talent and not just the talent of telling tales.

With the seemingly 70’s style music (hearkening to a time when distinctions between work and shoot were much more distinct) and the efforts of emcee extraordinaire Sean Oliver weaving his way through potentially hostile answers, this is a completely serious effort and one of the most important projects in the history of this business.

(I mean, if the WWE continues to control 98% of the industry, this sort of reflection about wrestlers with different styles will become moot. If the WWE disintegrates into oblivion, it’s much the same. Either way, some promoter in the year 2050 may want to re-invent the sport. If that’s the case, there’s a lot of reading between the lines of these interviews to figure out how to approach it).

Professional wrestlers are often awesome (if not awfully incapable of self-reflection) at spinning things, playing a role, putting themselves at the center of attention, putting themselves out of the picture, or otherwise playing sleight-of-hand tricks that they learned in the ring to avert the eyes of the viewer from their ability to work every angle.
Yeah, I just read Conrad’s Heart of Darkness, so I’m deep in psychological reflection, and deeper still in the descent into madness that is this industry.

But SABU, more humanly known as Terry Brunk, isn’t a man with that level of problem with reality.

Even when deflecting his battle with depression (in rapid succession his losing his wife to divorce, his mother passing, as well as his dog – and having the cops and paramedics called due to being “somatose” – lends a lot of credence to the contrary) he’s riding an even keel, speaking his mind and there’s a sense of sanity here that few others reach on any of these types of interviews.

One cannot discount Oliver’s participation, though.

So many “Shoot” interviews are filled with crap, lack of focus or any semblance of industry, cultural or historical significance. The shift to the Breaking Kayfabe concept moved Kayfabe Commentaries to a vastly more legitimate format, one that avoids the drugs, sex and vulgarity, plus allowed the talent to “put their working shoes on” since the subject matter called for it.

What I’ve grown to admire from Sean Oliver is his ability to shape the direction with questions about others. This time, he elicits a lot of insight about Sabu by asking questions about the Sheik. We learn more about Sabu as a person by hearing him talk about his biggest influence, and see glimpses of personality, industry approaches, and family from this approach.

Writing about those insights to retell the interview does no one justice (not Sean, not Terry and not this writer) so I’ll leave the emotional, personal and deep details on the screen for the viewer to enjoy. For me as a reviewer, the important parts are what is said about the business, and what I can add to the overall picture, and what makes this edition of Breaking Kayfabe compelling on various levels.

The first aspect of Sabu/Terry Brunk is the love and dedication he had for his mother. It’s fascinating that I’ve written the past few years about Bruno Sammartino on Mother’s day, and bookended this past Sunday watching Sabu speak emotionally about his Mom, and later watched the Bruno Documentary, which was much more of the same. (I of course watched that from my Mom’s house, so there’s another place where I’m making myself part of the story).

That Terry took care of his Mother isn’t just surprising, it’s amazing.

Here’s a guy that was 1) one of the most hardcore of all wrestlers and 2) one of the most well-travelled guys around (especially considering the promotions he worked, across the world, and his lack of staying with any one for any length of time). That he found the time to care for his Mom for all of his adult life is a great accomplishment. While there’s a sense of distance in the details, it’s all matter-of-fact and more real than this industry could suggest.

(Wow, I found out on Mother’s Day that Sabu and Bruno Sammartino are a lot more alike than they are different!)

The opening sentiment (just to jumble things up) is that Sabu is probably the one guy that never got his due. It is pointed out that most of the ECW Moments are of Sabu, even though Rob Van Dam gets the mainstream acclaim as the high-flyer of ECW Fame, Tazz gets the acclaim as the most dangerous, Dreamer (to some) gets the Hardcore Innovator, soul of the promotion vibe.

And then there’s the other Terry, rhymes with Brunk….

Sabu gets crowded out, but Sabu ultimately never “sold out” even if he did appear in every promotion under the sun. By never selling out (in the sense of putting on a happy face and playing along, playing politics, taking the money and sticking with the mindless suggestions and career altering decisions and condescension galore) the man known as Terry Brunk never saw his Hardcore Legacy become a bankroll for his career.

But he’s not exactly whining over walking away from Bischoff or McMahon, and for that he should be cheered.

Yet now he’s hitting an age where the other Terry had his second career, and ECW isn’t around, and nothing on the horizon will come close.

Sabu never really gets his due as a pure professional wrestler, despite his influence, maybe because of his violence and his unique approach to health care, and quite frankly, because the fans who glorified him and the fans of this generation who may think he’s cool have no real conception of the working shoes Sabu earned from The Shiek, nor seem to comprehend the levels to which he … well, worked.

Terry/Sabu tells us that his mother rarely watched him, and when she did, she was concerned that he was hurt. Here’s the sister of The Shiek, watching professional wrestling like it was intended, interacting with one of its leading, under-rated and absolutely glowing examples of selling.

There are many imitators and few who can really understand what he was doing.

Every match Sabu is in had a lot of things, and being driven (internally, by audience pressure and by the undeniable influence of his uncle) to bigger, badder and dangerous things was definitely part of it. But every match ended with Sabu convincing the fans that he put his life on the line for the business, and he did not come out of it unscathed.

Compare that to the ping-pong ball approach of many Indie performers, and the utter disconnect of most mainstream talent with the fans or the complete inability of most professional wrestlers to tell a story in the ring – let along perform like they are a physical creature prone to injury, doing something dangerous and paying a price for their passion.

When you watch Sabu in the ring, you hear the tales of crazy glue, tape and broken bones… you have to wonder how much of that is worked or shoot but you watch him and you can’t figure out (if you dare think of it that way) if he’s really hurt or really an absolute master of his craft.

That’s the summation of watching this DVD, and why you need to respect Sabu.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 29, 2015

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Did a ctrl+F for "Bruno", was not disappointed.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I read every Babinsack until I get to the Bruno mention then I stop. I got what I came for.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
But can Sabu's love for his mother top Mr. T's love for his mother?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

But can Sabu's love for his mother top Mr. T's love for his mother?

On Mother's Day I found out that Mr T and Bruno Sammartino are more alike than different, right down to their penchant for wearing hundreds of gold chains.

Snackchat:

The best idea that has ever been posted on Mecca:

YASSS Low Ki as ring announcer please please.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

YASSS Low Ki as ring announcer please please.

Cosplaying as another annoncers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

On Mother's Day I found out that Mr T and Bruno Sammartino are more alike than different, right down to their penchant for wearing hundreds of gold chains.

Snackchat:

It would be hell to be trapped in a body that thinks Little Caesar's pizza is too spicy