Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Not to claim expertise like the OP, but my buddy with a similar looking room got a W1080ST because he needed the short-throw, but I believe other than being short throw they're exactly the same, and it's fantastic. He cheaped out on the screen and picked up a pull-down screen at the place he got a deal on the projector, and it is:
A) Totally usable, and B) Definitely needs to be replaced in the next few years.

:siren:I can't tell if your room is as narrow as his was, but keep in mind that the W1070 needs to be 14 feet away (Imperial system :clint:) for a 120 inch screen, and further away for a smaller one.:siren: The zoom is only for zooming in which was super surprising to me.

The other thing is that while it is totally viewable with some ambient light coming through the windows during the day (The screen is literally directly opposite a west-facing window, it's got standard "plastic slat" blinds that he leaves closed), but it is a huge difference (night and day :v:) in quality when it gets dark out, and that's when it reaches "Theater" quality. He's been slacking on getting blackout curtains, and for some godawful reason won't tack up a towel or something in the mean time. Definitely get blackout curtains if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I was eyeing this model which claims 100" at 2.5 metres, which would be perfect. It gets really dark here at night, I'm a bit away from the road which is quiet anyway. They turn the streetlights off close to midnight too. That said, blackout curtains could be useful in the future, thanks for the recc.

I'll probably pick this up next month when I have the cash, I still need to get a washing machine, which is probably more important. The product spiel is actually pretty enticing, in particular the side projection. Is there any reason I shouldn't believe any of these claims?

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
What are the main differences between the W1070, W1080ST, W1250 and W1500?

I see them all on refurb pricing from $620 to $800 CAD. Keep in mind it's for a small basement with a throw of maybe 8-9' where I would like maybe 100-120" screen. It will be a ceiling mount and I already have HDMI and power wired to the ceiling.

Anything I should watch out for on the ceiling mount itself?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Mine is 115" at 11' so I don't think you'll get that big at 8-9.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Instead of the BenQ W1070, I'm looking at buying the HT1075 and projecting it onto a 72" screen (I know it's small but the wall is small even though it's about 10 feet away. And the screen and projector is like $600 cheaper than a comparable TV).

I'm just kind of worried about audio. Does anyone have any experience with running this projector into a 5.1 system? I have a super old DVD player with 5.1 speakers that takes digital audio in or L+R component in. It looks like the projector only outputs through a 3.5mm jack, am I stuck with a 3.5 to component splitter or what?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah you're supposed to run all of your sources into a receiver with a projector.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I've been checking up on projectors every couple years, namely to see if a bright, affordable 1080p LED projector would ever come out.

What the hell is this "LG PF1500" madness?!: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1127970-REG/lg_pf1500_dlp_projector.html

Is it my imagination or is that far and away the brightest LED projector from a real brand for under a grand? 1400 lumens seems crazy high.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

I've been checking up on projectors every couple years, namely to see if a bright, affordable 1080p LED projector would ever come out.

What the hell is this "LG PF1500" madness?!: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1127970-REG/lg_pf1500_dlp_projector.html

Is it my imagination or is that far and away the brightest LED projector from a real brand for under a grand? 1400 lumens seems crazy high.

Seems to be a good projector according to reviews.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

wolfbiker posted:

Seems to be a good projector according to reviews.

Yeah, I think I'll go buy one for work and be the guinea pig. It looks like a game changer to me, and LED projector that is more or less at a price/resolution/lumens/features parity with bulb projectors.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
For what it's worth, I've got one of LGs old PA70g led projectors. Been running for 2 or 3 years as a TV replacement, and doesn't seem any dimmer or worse for wear. My only complaint is I can't figure out how to get it to work with a universal remote.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Does anyone have projector recommendations for a medium-size briefing room? I should keep the cost under $2k each, but $1k would be better. Not sure where to start. I'm ordering two. Must be able to order online. Needs to be ceiling mounted.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 2, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Dominoes posted:

Does anyone have projector recommendations for a medium-size briefing room? I should keep the cost under $2k each, but $1k would be better. Not sure where to start. I'm ordering two. Must be able to order online. Needs to be ceiling mounted.

I'll let you know about the one I just ordered, the 1400 lumen LED one I linked, because that is exactly where it is going and how it will be mounted.

How is the lighting in the room? Any outdoor windows, or is it just a windowless room? Is the lighting dimmable or just on/off fluorescent? If you can keep it dim I'd recommend an LED projector because they are smaller/quieter, turn on/off instantly (bulbs need both start up and cool down times) and you don't have to worry about the bulb aging and needing replacement, or worse, randomly imploding in the middle of a meeting (I've seen that one too).

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I'll let you know about the one I just ordered, the 1400 lumen LED one I linked, because that is exactly where it is going and how it will be mounted.

How is the lighting in the room? Any outdoor windows, or is it just a windowless room? Is the lighting dimmable or just on/off fluorescent? If you can keep it dim I'd recommend an LED projector because they are smaller/quieter, turn on/off instantly (bulbs need both start up and cool down times) and you don't have to worry about the bulb aging and needing replacement, or worse, randomly imploding in the middle of a meeting (I've seen that one too).
Cool. Windowless, non-dimmable fluorescent.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Hi thread, looking for some opinion on my current projector. I am selling my house, which has a theater, it is a distinct possibility that an offer would stipulate leaving the projector. So I am curios how it compares to what I can buy today.

I have a Sony VPL-VW70
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-VPL-VW70.htm

Retailed for like 7k but I got this for a little over a 1k new in box. It was not one of the B level units that was on closeout at av forums.

It has been great for me and I love it, but if I have to unload it, what should I expect to pay for something as good today? Will I be getting better for less? Any idea of comparable new projectors?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Dominoes posted:

Cool. Windowless, non-dimmable fluorescent.

I've got the projector now and I gotta say, I think they're fibbing a bit with the 1400 ANSI lumens figure. Even with the blinds in my office down the whites are more like greys. There might be a few tweaks I can make but if you're going to try one out make sure it's on Amazon so you can return it if it doesn't cut the mustard.

It's too bad because the smart features, connectivity and form factor are outstanding. With companies like CREE that keep making huge strides in LED brightness I think we'll have brightness/cost parity with bulbs soon and make bulbs obsolete.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks. Went with two of these Optomas.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Zero VGS posted:

I've got the projector now and I gotta say, I think they're fibbing a bit with the 1400 ANSI lumens figure. Even with the blinds in my office down the whites are more like greys. There might be a few tweaks I can make but if you're going to try one out make sure it's on Amazon so you can return it if it doesn't cut the mustard.

It's too bad because the smart features, connectivity and form factor are outstanding. With companies like CREE that keep making huge strides in LED brightness I think we'll have brightness/cost parity with bulbs soon and make bulbs obsolete.

I don't know that projector, but you may be able to fudge it by playing with the HDMI input mode to sorta stack the color range, or mess with the gamma settings.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 17, 2015

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I need some lighting.

My speakers are behind my screen and I would like to illuminate them with some sort of colored spot or pen lighting pointing up at them from behind the screen. I'll probably just have the lights plugged into a controller that can be controlled with Harmony.

Anyone have recommendations on either?

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.
If I were able to snag this in perfect condition for $300 should I buy it immediately? https://www.projectorsuperstore.com/shopping/product_details.cfm?productid=79849&aid=NexTag

I'm guessing that would be way better than this: http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-M120UWH2-Manual-Projection/dp/B000PHLB88

Also, I'm interested in the BenQ projectors. Should I wait for the consensus on the new Epson 740HD, 2040/45 models before I make a decision?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
http://imgur.com/a/tSndL

I've got an Optoma HD20 that I've had for a few years now. Bulb hours are 6,104. Recently, I've noticed some rolling black bars. I don't know what's causing them, but the only thing I can liken them to is when I was a little kid, I would notice the TV image would sometimes get these faded bars when my parents were vacuuming or running some other electrical appliance. We haven't added anything more to the apartment (in fact, in switching from AT&T to Comcast, we've got a few things less plugged in), so I don't know what could be causing this problem.

My wife and I first noticed it on our TV signal, but it's also showing up on my XBox One. It doesn't really affect lighter colors, but it's definitely noticeable if there are light and dark colors together (tends to black out the dark colors, faces, people in darker rooms, etc).

Is this a by-product of a dying bulb, or do I need to be looking elsewhere?

Edit - I don't know why I didn't think to hook my laptop up to see if they were still there. I'm not seeing the rolling black bars, so maybe it's the Comcast equipment.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 13, 2015

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Zero VGS posted:

I've got the projector now and I gotta say, I think they're fibbing a bit with the 1400 ANSI lumens figure.

I've yet to see a pure LED (non-laser hybrid) projector that got much beyond 800 lumens. That said, almost everyone fudges the lumen spec, to the point where it's noteworthy when it's accurate. And the companies that don't fudge lumens almost certainly fudge contrast, or lamp life, or whatever.

quote:

With companies like CREE that keep making huge strides in LED brightness I think we'll have brightness/cost parity with bulbs soon and make bulbs obsolete.

We've been thinking that for almost ten years now. Bottom line: don't hold your breath.

Dr Rotcod posted:

Also, I'm interested in the BenQ projectors. Should I wait for the consensus on the new Epson 740HD, 2040/45 models before I make a decision?

I don't like the inexpensive Epson projectors and I don't see that changing much any time soon. Below $1,500, your best bet is (and likely will remain) the BenQ W1070/HT1075.

Kameh posted:

rolling black bars

Definitely not a failing bulb. That looks like a ground loop problem. You mention switching from AT&T to Comcast. Was that about when the problem started? My guess is that Comcast hosed up the install and it's feeding back into your system.

Try taking all the Comcast gear out completely (unplug from the wall, disconnect the coax, etc) and see if the Xbone still has the problem.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

This is a bit more broad than just projectors but I don't know where to post it. I'm doing some preliminary organisation of the renovation of my living room. I did a pretty accurate model of it in sketchup and added a bunch of notes to it to give a general idea of what I'm going for (except for the styling).

I do need help with the screen. Is it worth getting a custom one? I don't need it to roll up or anything, it can be permanently placed on the wall.

Another is a ceiling mount. You'll notice I just shoved a prefab projector model onto the support beam. I used a guide for the projector I want (listed in the picture) for the best placement ratio and it was right there. What would be the best way to mount this? How do I best deal with the cabling? Also I plan on having a HDMI outlet dedicated to a Vive VR HMD in the same spot, no idea how to do this but I guess the VR stuff is uncharted territory.

Anything else I need to keep in mind would be helpful too. It's going to be a major makeover and I want to get it right.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
If you want to experiment you can try to paint the wall with screen paint. You may need to smooth out any texturing first:

Two vendors:
https://www.paintonscreen.com/
http://www.goosystemsglobal.com/

Article on using screen paint from 2011:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm

I bought two gallons of the Digital Theater White paint from paintonscreen, based on my projector specifications. The cost at the time was $200 a gallon (down to $189 now, perhaps since silver prices have dropped). My wall size was about 13' by 8' ( roughly 4.6 m diagonal).

https://www.paintonscreen.com/cgi-bin/store/store.pl

I needed a large screen but the cost was about $800 ? with shipping and I was concerned about getting the screen intact through the door and up the stairway, so i opted for the paint instead.

So far the screen quality is great, and I just left the regular sheetrock texture, but at the distance sit from the screen I don't see any imperfections. I'm not a projector purist so I had no idea how the paint would compare to a real screen. But the quality so far is good enough I have not thought about getting a real projection screen.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Would something like this work?
http://www.smartwallpaint.com.au/store/projector-paint/projector-paint-plus.html

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

If you Google around on projector forums, there's plenty recommendations for matte white or silver paint you can get from the hardware store that will rival the super-overpriced protector paint, that stuff is mostly marketing.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Just a general tip, if this is going to be a project with a dedicated room, get an acoustic transparent screen and put the speakers behind it. You can build a false wall or just float the screen. There are many threads on AVS about it an you can order sample screen material. You can build your own projector screen frame or buy a cheap screen with frame and throw away the material and add the AT material. It makes a huge amount of difference in the sound. Plus you can line the wall behind the screen with acoustic foam.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Now that I'm at a PC I can post an example for an AT screen with false wall:

And here is my personal setup. I got to cheat as there was already an alcove so I didn't have to frame an extra wall. The lower grills are for the subs and custom drawers.

This is a 135" screen and I also have a masking shade for wide movies. I still have to pretty that thing up but I've been lazy.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

SwissCM posted:

This is a bit more broad than just projectors but I don't know where to post it. I'm doing some preliminary organisation of the renovation of my living room. I did a pretty accurate model of it in sketchup and added a bunch of notes to it to give a general idea of what I'm going for (except for the styling).

I do need help with the screen. Is it worth getting a custom one? I don't need it to roll up or anything, it can be permanently placed on the wall.

Another is a ceiling mount. You'll notice I just shoved a prefab projector model onto the support beam. I used a guide for the projector I want (listed in the picture) for the best placement ratio and it was right there. What would be the best way to mount this? How do I best deal with the cabling? Also I plan on having a HDMI outlet dedicated to a Vive VR HMD in the same spot, no idea how to do this but I guess the VR stuff is uncharted territory.

Anything else I need to keep in mind would be helpful too. It's going to be a major makeover and I want to get it right.

I've built two home theaters in two homes I've owned/own. The first one I did I spent $3,000 on the projector and $150 on DIY screen. On my second I spent $1,000 on the projector and $1,500 on the screen. The cheaper projector with the better screen looks way better than the more expensive projector and the DIY screen. The screen you can keep forever, while the projector you will likely upgrade. I think it's worth spending the money on one.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of screens, im trying to find a good AT material. I have the Seymore XD material, and it does a great job of not losing much light, but my issue is that I can see the direction of the material in the image in certain shades. I've tested other materials, but they lose a greater amount of light than the XD material.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Hey Projector thread, I'm pretty keen on the BenQ W1070 or something in that price range, but my setup forces me to install the projector about 1.5' to the left of the room center. I understand that the 1070 doesn't have horizontal lens shift. Is there a comparable projector that does? Thanks!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

wolfbiker posted:

I've built two home theaters in two homes I've owned/own. The first one I did I spent $3,000 on the projector and $150 on DIY screen. On my second I spent $1,000 on the projector and $1,500 on the screen. The cheaper projector with the better screen looks way better than the more expensive projector and the DIY screen. The screen you can keep forever, while the projector you will likely upgrade. I think it's worth spending the money on one.

Is paint much worse though? I'd prefer to max out the screen size as much as possible and $1500 is a bit much to spend on a screen (and I doubt there's $1500 worth of parts and materials in it).

Should probably specify that the projector I'm planning on using is a BenQ W1080ST.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 25, 2015

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

wolfbiker posted:

Preach.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Speaking of screens, im trying to find a good AT material. I have the Seymore XD material, and it does a great job of not losing much light, but my issue is that I can see the direction of the material in the image in certain shades. I've tested other materials, but they lose a greater amount of light than the XD material.

Stewart will add AT perforations to almost all of their screen materials.

negativeneil posted:

Hey Projector thread, I'm pretty keen on the BenQ W1070 or something in that price range, but my setup forces me to install the projector about 1.5' to the left of the room center. I understand that the 1070 doesn't have horizontal lens shift. Is there a comparable projector that does? Thanks!

You either have to get an LCD projector like the Epson 8350 or step up to the BenQ W7500 which has horizontal shift. None of the cheap DLPs have horizontal lens shift.

SwissCM posted:

Is paint much worse though? I'd prefer to max out the screen size as much as possible and $1500 is a bit much to spend on a screen (and I doubt there's $1500 worth of parts and materials in it).

Should probably specify that the projector I'm planning on using is a BenQ W1080ST.

First off, bigger isn't always better. Too big gets uncomfortable. Measure your viewing distance (eyes to screen) and then divide by 1.1 (close) and 1.5 (far). Make an outline on your wall with masking tape and see what it's like to actually sit down and look at something that big. Adjust as needed.

Second, there isn't $1500 worth of parts and materials in anything that costs $1500, so that's kind of a stupid thing to say. Your $1000 projector didn't cost $1000 to make. Most of the cost of an item is R&D, marketing, and other overhead (paying the employees, keeping the lights on, et cetera).

Third, and this is just my personal opinion: paint screens loving blow. I hate paint, and I hate paint even more when I have to get it perfect. There's always a drip or something that ruins the whole thing and then that's all I can see.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

King Hotpants posted:

You either have to get an LCD projector like the Epson 8350 or step up to the BenQ W7500 which has horizontal shift. None of the cheap DLPs have horizontal lens shift.

Bummer, well, maybe there's a workaround i can achieve with the 1070, otherwise I'll do a smaller screen and rotate the room 90 degrees. One other question: As someone who has never really used a HT projector let alone this specific model, how flexible is it in terms of adjusting image size. Like let's say I get everything set up and decide a 120" screen in my living room is way too large, how much am I able to shrink the picture down using the menu system on the projector?

If I did decide to go with the Short Throw variant, is there any disadvantage to that option in terms of picture quality or is it simply a matter of "if you put a short throw projector in a larger room if you changed residences in the future, the picture will be too big"

Thanks!

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I'm using the W1070 with my screen. My old projector was a Panasonic AE3000. That was WAY more flexible. That would shift up, down, left, right, and zoom right from the remote control. It also remembered lens position so I could switch between 2.35 and 1.85 movies. The W1070 only very slightly moves up and down, and you can zoom in and out, all manually from the projector. Kind of a pain to get it perfect, which is something I still haven't done and need to do. It's off slightly and I've had it almost two years.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

King Hotpants posted:

Stewart will add AT perforations to almost all of their screen materials.

well hell, I didn't know this. I assume perforation has made leaps and bounds? I thought they were only good for proper commercial theaters since you could space the holes much further. Anyway I sent and inquiry for some samples of the Studio Tek 100 and 130 unless you think a different material would be better. I have an e-shift psudo 4k, but would like to keep real 4k in mind for the future, but honestly with the right source material this JVC makes me forget that 4k is even a thing, this loving projector is so god drat good and Guardians of the Galaxy is the source material to show it.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 26, 2015

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
I wouldn't use the ST100 in a home theater. On the other hand, the ST130 is my favorite screen material. Ever.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

King Hotpants posted:

I wouldn't use the ST100 in a home theater. On the other hand, the ST130 is my favorite screen material. Ever.

really. So no hot spotting or anything?

edit: how much does this poo poo cost?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

really. So no hot spotting or anything?

edit: how much does this poo poo cost?

Nope.

It's gonna cost a lot, depending on how large of a screen you want. But you're the "doing everything right" guy in this thread, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
*sigh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etatoby
Feb 12, 2003

China makes me cry
My W1070 has been giving me nothing but superb pictures, thank you very much. Though I will send it back in for repair before the warranty is over, because the color wheel has become noticeably noisy. I think I mentioned it before. Has anybody else experienced it?

Anyways, my friend liked my setup so much he wants to buy a projector too. But the W1070 is too expensive for him. Are there any cheaper DLP projectors worth buying? He says he could do without the 3D and with only 720p resolution, since he'd only be watching movies on a smaller screen. Any recommendations?

Edit: I found the Benq MW526, seems to fit the specs and is very cheap! What do y'all say? I wonder why it's sold as Business/education and not Home. Are there any shortcomings using it to watch movies?

etatoby fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 27, 2015