Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I might be misremembering, but fights in the book were a lot more realistic than in the series. I really dont remember people beating overwhelming superior numbers with ease in the books.

Take that fight with the Hound and Arya against those dudes in the tavern, we have that battle both in the books and in the show. In the books is only 2 and Clegane wins just because Arya interferes at the last moment, and he takes a very grave wound anyway. In the show they beat 5 or 6 dudes almost without sweating.

And even in the first seasons the battles were more plausible, they are getting more and more videogame-like lately.

And named characters almost never wear helmets, unless it's a plot device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Megasabin posted:

I mean this is a universe where legendary figures routinely carve their way through unspeakable odds, and it's unthinkable that a Knights can't easily defeat a bunch of slaves in what was basically a series of brief 1 on 1 fights?

When has that ever been true of the book series? The only "cut through hordes" sequence in the books was a 2nd hand account of Jaime's capture by Robb's men.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I, too, hate it when my fantasy television shows are not 100% realistic.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Gladiator was a cool movie ergo the Jorah fight scene was also cool

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

I might be misremembering, but fights in the book were a lot more realistic than in the series. I really dont remember people beating overwhelming superior numbers with ease in the books.

Take that fight with the Hound and Arya against those dudes in the tavern, we have that battle both in the books and in the show. In the books is only 2 and Clegane wins just because Arya interferes at the last moment, and he takes a very grave wound anyway. In the show they beat 5 or 6 dudes almost without sweating.

And even in the first seasons the battles were more plausible, they are getting more and more videogame-like lately.

I guess they have to escalate things to keep it interesting for the viewer. And it's harder to detail large fights in book form than it can be in film. At the very least if you don't care about good camera work.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

lifts cats over head posted:

I, too, hate it when my fantasy television shows are not 100% realistic.

DRAGONFIRE CAN'T MELT ICE WALLS~

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
How Alfie Allen gets into character to be able to portray a traumatised and psychologically broken wreck.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Irish Joe posted:

When has that ever been true of the book series? The only "cut through hordes" sequence in the books was a 2nd hand account of Jaime's capture by Robb's men.

He does this with his retainers not alone.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Reminder: Tyrion, a dwarf, does Metal Gear Solid-esque acrobatics and rides in to battle killing like 10 people in the books

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

this_is_hard posted:

Reminder: Tyrion, a dwarf, does Metal Gear Solid-esque acrobatics and rides in to battle killing like 10 people in the books

Doesn't he actually only kill one horse and capture one dude?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Irish Joe posted:

Rhaegar and Robert are both described as charging head first at the front of their battalions into giant army sized melees. Jon did ridiculous poo poo at the battle of the wall. Those are two that jump into my head immediately, and I read the books over 10 years ago.

Even if they didn't, complaining about the Jorah scene was too fake is some incredibly nit picky poo poo, and you could pretty much criticize any TV show or movie for lack of tactical realism.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
Sansa is definitely going to become "Lady Stoneheart" in that once the Boltons are dealt with, however that may be, she is going to go on a killing spree all next season with her Northern followers. The last episode this season will probably have her faced with a decision to show mercy to some of the lower Bolton cronies and she chooses to murder the poo poo out of them. When she finally sees Little Finger again she is going to flay his rear end.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
When you bring up "no helmets", you're really just being a "tactical realism" nerd.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

He like, headbutts a horse with a pickelhaube or something hilarious like that.

Cygni posted:

Its funny watching this thread get angry every week about plots/motivations because they are too impatient to see how it plays out in the next episode.
Yeah, like when people got mad about the Sansa rape scene at the end of Ep 6 because it shoved her back into the role of victim, then D&D cleverly subverted that in Ep 7 by revealing that in the following days she spent all her time crying in bed while Ramsey popped by occasionally to beat and rape her some more.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

RCarr posted:

From what I remember, her lips turned up into an almost-smile as if to say "ah here's an honorable fighter", before seeing it was Jorah when he took his helm off.

Yeah, actually, you're totally right. My b. She seems almost embarassedly happy to see someone beating up the other fighters without killing them and then gets mad when it turns out to be Jorah.

This is great. For anyone not familiar, Alfie Allen's older sister is Lily Allen, who wrote a song about him being a worthless pothead.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Jagermonster posted:

Sansa is definitely going to become "Lady Stoneheart"

This would be perfect, as in, the living version of Lady Stoneheart. Alayne Stoneheart.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Megasabin posted:

If you are actually criticizing the "realism" of scenes like Jorah in the fighting pit, and tyrion punching the slaver, please understand that your opinion is so hilariously worthless that you should probably never attempt to critique either the book or the show again.

It was a reply to all the 'Sansa had to be raped because realism, and had to be utterly passive and weeping while being raped because realism' defenses of that scene. Of course realism should take a back seat to a good story.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Nah, he axes dudes.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

colonel_korn posted:

Yeah, like when people got mad about the Sansa rape scene at the end of Ep 6 because it shoved her back into the role of victim, then D&D cleverly subverted that in Ep 7 by revealing that in the following days she spent all her time crying in bed while Ramsey popped by occasionally to beat and rape her some more.
Yeah, im sure thats the end of her story. She is prolly gonna go off on the boat with Rickon now.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

colonel_korn posted:

He like, headbutts a horse with a pickelhaube or something hilarious like that.

Like when they said it was done for the benefit of Theon or it ruined her arc.

There would have been so many more complaints (rightly so) if after being raped crying and screaming, the show didn't treat her as a victim. But that doesn't mean she's finished. Taking the corkscrew shows she's not giving up.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

It was a reply to all the 'Sansa had to be raped because realism, and had to be utterly passive and weeping while being raped because realism' defenses of that scene. Of course realism should take a back seat to a good story.

The problem is with the unreal stuff not the real stuff.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jagermonster posted:

Sansa is definitely going to become "Lady Stoneheart" in that once the Boltons are dealt with, however that may be, she is going to go on a killing spree all next season with her Northern followers. The last episode this season will probably have her faced with a decision to show mercy to some of the lower Bolton cronies and she chooses to murder the poo poo out of them. When she finally sees Little Finger again she is going to flay his rear end.

Littlefinger won't die until the Others come and ice him. He'll team up with Stannis and with their armies combined start beating the hell out of the south. Sansa is totally gonna go Stoneheart in the show as well. Which is awesome becase it tells me that her character will do absolutely nothing in the books except maybe be a catalyst for Arya when she inevitably gets hired to kill her own sister.

\/\/\/\/ Yep! As opposed to infinite baseless speculation over the books since they will never be completed! \/\/\/\/

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 28, 2015

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

If nothing else the fact that the TV show has outpaced the books means we have 2 more years of baseless speculation in this thread to look forward to.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

He reads this thread? haha

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

\/\/\/\/ Yep! As opposed to infinite baseless speculation over the books since they will never be completed! \/\/\/\/

I have faith the next book will be out before March of next year.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

I have faith the next book will be out before March of next year.

Care to toxx? I think a post like this deserves a toxx

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

El Hefe posted:

You know what gently caress it, let's just see every character in the show get raped.

I hope Arya gets raped in the next episode!

I'm gonna poke the beehive and posit that an emotionally damaged war orphan bent on murder being brainwashed by a death-worshipping assassin cult to the point the only scrap of identity left to her is a consuming rage and warg-dreams about indiscriminately killing and eating men, women, and children = more tragic than dubious consent.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

loquacius posted:

Care to toxx? I think a post like this deserves a toxx

Sure :toxx:

GRRM won't let me down.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

paco650 posted:

I'm gonna poke the beehive and posit that an emotionally damaged war orphan bent on murder being brainwashed by a death-worshipping assassin cult to the point the only scrap of identity left to her is a consuming rage and warg-dreams about indiscriminately killing and eating men, women, and children = more tragic than dubious consent.

Actually it's totally badass

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

In the books is only 2 and Clegane wins just because Arya interferes at the last moment, and he takes a very grave wound anyway.

Clegane was initially losing when he was fighting Polliver and Tickler at the same time, but then he pulls out a kick-rear end rad move that kills Polliver and was probably going to mow down the Tickler next had Arya not stepped in.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Irish Joe posted:

Sure :toxx:

GRRM won't let me down.

Wow son you just lost 10 Buckaroos

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lycus posted:

When you bring up "no helmets", you're really just being a "tactical realism" nerd.

Nah, not really, I just wanna see some sick armor & helmets

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

dik-dik posted:

What gave you the idea that she didn't recognize him? My reading of her facial expression wasn't "who's this fucker?" but rather "goddammit, it's Jorah, isn't it? Please, tell me it's not Jor—GODDAMMIT JORAH WTF"

Hey fair enough, I thought that too initially. Maybe it's just the actress that plays Dany, but her reaction when Jorah started to fight and then the anger when he took his helmet off led me to believe what I said before.

RE: realism chat, the only part i found "unrealistic" was what I said before. Jorah's a badass, of course he can take on a small group of malnourished slaves. He's a Mormont.

kater posted:

Accurate to the books or not, that poo poo is all super loving lame.

Jorah punching dudes out wasn't that unbelievable though. Him instantly turning beta however was loving obnoxious. He should have been screaming at Kelly for restarting slavery. Instead yet another character has to job for Tyrion.

I like how bitter and angry Jorah turned in the books. It doesn't look like that happens in the show.

Within the context of the show, I don't find this season and it's characters believable in a lot of their actions. Not interested in bringing up rape chat again, but I agree with that guy that brought up Ebert & Siskel's episode on "Women in Danger". The more sensitive the material you're trying to depict (and I would definitely include rape and torture as sensitive material) the more artistry/tact/whatever you want to call it you need. Basically I don't think the showrunners have done a good enough job with Sansa, and I think the long arguments in this thread is evidence that many people were dissatisfied with that scene. I'm not saying they should have or shouldn't have done that particular scene, but they botched it.

Because I like the books and a lot of my favourite shows were produced by HBO (Rome, The Wire, Deadwood, Silicon Valley, etc.) I'm trying to hold GoT to a higher standard, and it's failing to measure up.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Lloyd Boner posted:

Actually it's totally badass

Also that.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

an skeleton posted:

Wow son you just lost 10 Buckaroos

He's probably just banking on this thread getting even more bloated than ADWD and no one remembering this happened.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

To be fair, no one will remember.

The North Remembers

*Gets flayed*

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

dik-dik posted:

He's probably just banking on this thread getting even more bloated than ADWD and no one remembering this happened.

GRRM has said he wanted book 6 out by the time the next season premieres. New seasons premiere in April. Ergo, if GRRM keeps his deadline, the next book will be out around February/March at the latest.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

GRRM wants a lot of things that he wont get. The world (especially young women) are better for it.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014
The show writers are Very Good, better than the man who wrote a half page description of Tyrions cock.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Remember when GRRM promised that ADWD would be published in 2006? and then it didn't come out until 2011? I really don't get why we should be taking anything he says as fact when it comes to release dates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Super.Jesus posted:

This would be perfect, as in, the living version of Lady Stoneheart. Alayne Stoneheart.

That's actually a pretty neat connection, given that her bastard name is "Alayne Stone" and all. I can see her adopting the stronger persona and leaving the weaker Sansa Stark behind.

• Locked thread