Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Vib Rib posted:

I absolutely hated the old method of Thaumcraft, where everything Aura/Vis related was insanely nebulous, and nodes all recharged from each other or not at all, and you could "run out" of vis, and everything was based on this impossible algorithm over the entire world. Sky Den suffered so much from this system that some people actually DID run out of Vis, and there's nothing you can do about it.

quote:

- Aura nodes don't contain vis anymore and simply refill a chunk as a generator.

Hopefully this will counteract that. Because it was bullshit. :mad:

I am indifferent to these changes as a whole, give us a finished product and improve the research system Azanor. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Oh right yeah you might want to turn off the floating slime islands. They look out of place pretty much anywhere and even show up in Mystcraft Ages (at least when I last used TC they did).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

gently caress no.

Seriously, gently caress that.
I absolutely hated the old method of Thaumcraft, where everything Aura/Vis related was insanely nebulous, and nodes all recharged from each other or not at all, and you could "run out" of vis, and everything was based on this impossible algorithm over the entire world. Sky Den suffered so much from this system that some people actually DID run out of Vis, and there's nothing you can do about it. The new node system in TC4 was such a huge improvement. Nodes were worth hunting down, they were fun to find and to mess with. Now we're tainting them with the old chunk/world bullshit systems? I thought we were past this!

Yeah it doesn't really sound that great on paper. He's said that only loaded chunks will be considered to help on performance but all these posts were in January/February so changes may have been made. I'm not actually sure what his plan is for nodes with this system. Sure you can stack a bunch of them around your base for passive generation of vis but if that's their only use then their whole existence is superfluous.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm really skeptical of the biome affects. It's already a giant pain trying to find nodes with the right vis in them, I do not want to have to leave my compound and travel for miles just to find a desert to get some dang ignis.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I'm guessing that every biome will have at least a little bit of each element.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
For gently caress's sake, if this also means we're going back to "using fun toys too much in an area will ruin that area for EVERYONE" territory I'm just not going to bother with TC5 anymore.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Considering the last version of TC I really enjoyed was TC2, I'm pretty excited. I never did manage to turn my base into a taint-plagued hellscape by pumping tainted vis into the atmosphere 24/7, and I'm looking forward to getting to try again :v:

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I love that azanor is reworking tc's systems entirely, again.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
TC had the best storage system and progression. And power items, although a lot of those are still around.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Light Gun Man posted:

TC had the best storage system and progression. And power items, although a lot of those are still around.
I feel like TC3 and 4 dropped a lot of the power items and we never got them back since. Maybe I'm just looking back at the rewards of 2 with rose tinted glasses though. I do however remember that one of the earliest TC3 builds had a magic carpet placeholder and it never actually got added. Guess the thaumostatic harness was our replacement.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Also I am dumb and meant to say TC2.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Shukaro posted:

I love that azanor is reworking tc's systems entirely, again.

Isn't Azanor one of those ~MY VISION~ type of modders?

I mean, you'd think that would mean consistency of systems from version to version, rather than complete reworks.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Why do people still put up with TC, it's been terrible for ages

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

escalator dropdown posted:

Isn't Azanor one of those ~MY VISION~ type of modders?

I mean, you'd think that would mean consistency of systems from version to version, rather than complete reworks.
Azanor is THE ~MY VISION~ modder.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Worse than the Redpower author (eloraam?), who included the stupid goddamn ugly volcanoes in the core of the mod so you couldn't turn them off?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Looking forward to doing the research sub-sub-game once again, i.e. googling the shortest possible route to whatever the gently caress it is I want because I'm not gonna stumble blindly around in the dark wasting an annoyingly limited resource

edit: and then roping whoever I'm playing with into setting up a big essentia system because alembics and furnaces are the most annoying things ever, as is infusion (as cool as it is in concept)

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I use this for getting through Thaumcraft research:

http://ythri.github.io/tcresearch/

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I just use the cheat sheet because research is dumb. I really like the thaumonomicon though in general, just think that going through some lovely minigame to make poo poo is dumb. I wouldn't mind if it was HQMy in that when you make one thing others open up to make.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

GotLag posted:

Worse than the Redpower author (eloraam?), who included the stupid goddamn ugly volcanoes in the core of the mod so you couldn't turn them off?

Eloram is really the MY VISION modder, not Azanor. Azanor listens to criticism and tweaks things really slowly. Warp used to be worse, research used to be worse. He just doesn't have the best idea of what fun is.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Eloraam was so MY VISION that she wouldn't let any other mods interact with hers directly. Remember that block that just took items and immediately ejected them into atube network? Those blocks were a workaround for the fact that she wouldn't let anybody see or interact with her code, so nothing could output directly to tubes.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

MechaCrash posted:

Eloraam was so MY VISION that she wouldn't let any other mods interact with hers directly. Remember that block that just took items and immediately ejected them into atube network? Those blocks were a workaround for the fact that she wouldn't let anybody see or interact with her code, so nothing could output directly to tubes.

Was it redpower that added marble, basalt and fuckhueg volcanos without a way to turn them off in worldgen? Oh and another kind of tree too, if I recall correctly.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Musluk posted:

Was it redpower that added marble, basalt and fuckhueg volcanos without a way to turn them off in worldgen? Oh and another kind of tree too, if I recall correctly.

A really ugly, really huge, fireproof tree no less.
I don't think it ever got a use either? I have no idea why people like [d?] redpower.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

A really ugly, really huge, fireproof tree no less.
I don't think it ever got a use either? I have no idea why people like [d?] redpower.

because of bundled cables and (early on) tubes

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I liked the marble and basalt, actually. But gently caress me if volcanoes weren't intrusive eyesores. They'd have been better at half the height, and half the frequency.

Before TE, Redpower was the only practical way to move items around. And don't forget frames, which while buggy as gently caress allowed for some pretty cool creations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Azanor posted:

Just a heads up on a few changes I'm making. I'd like some feedback on them:

1) Alchemical furnaces are being renamed to Essentia Smelters since the original name was a bit confusing. Minor, but I thought I'd mention it. It still does exactly what it did before... but see below.

2) The advanced alchemical furnace is going away. Instead I'm replacing this with a tiered system for the new smelters. Currently in TC5 there are three tiers of smelters. They have different speeds and efficiency ratings.

3) Smelting is once again messy like it was in older versions. The basic smelter is very inefficient and some of the smelted essentia is wasted and converted into flux instead. Currently the basic efficiency for the normal furnace is about 80%, though that may change by release. I'm still debating if the flux should stay in the system as essentia or simply get vented out into the aura. I'm thinking the former as it will force the player to choose what they do with all the flux. There will be something like the smokestacks from TC2 to vent unwanted flux.

4) Alembic have been, to put it simply, nerfed. They didn't really need a nerf, but as things work now it didn't really fit with the new system. Each alembic now only holds up to 8 essentia and they cannot be stacked. Only 1 alembic to a smelter. Alembics may eventually also have upgraded versions, but for now there is still just 1 type.

5) The idea behind smelters is to have them as a multiblock. With additional research you will be able to attach additional blocks next to a basic smelter which will increase their efficiency, their speed, or allow additional alembics to be connected. For example the alembic addon block (Auxiliary Slurry Pump) will actually make smelting things down much faster since it literally acts as an additional slurry-to-essentia processor. Previously the alembic stack didn't actually speed things up - it just made it slightly more convenient.

6) Any block containing essentia will spill that essentia into the aura as flux when broken. Obviously this does not include jars or similar things as they are designed to be moved. Most tubes, machines and such however are not.

7) Void jars still exist, but they are very dangerous to use now. The new system really drives the point home that any essentia that escapes the system will become flux and mess up your aura. As a result any essentia that gets voided will be dumped into the aura instead. Alas, the mechanics of minecraft still gives a few loopholes around this, but not much I can do about that. At least the loopholes are resource intensive.

This is all terrible. :allears:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Ahahaha, thyrork and his optimism for this shitcunt just got slapped upside the face.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I had completely forgotten about RP2's huge, ugly rubber trees. Chopping down one of those useless pieces of poo poo was a Minecraft day long endeavor with group help last time I played on a server that used it. But pretty much everything useful in RP2 has been replicated by now, so oh well. I did like volcanoes well enough, but...yeah, way too frequent, as were the horrible rubber trees. They would've been much more tolerable if they'd only hit two out of three of "huge, useless, and practically loving indestructible."

Thaumcraft hit its peak with 2, and has been getting worse with every version. I think it just keeps getting into packs because of inertia, and being one of the best known magic mods.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Demiurge4 posted:

StealthArcher posted:

Ahahaha, thyrork and his optimism for this shitcunt just got slapped upside the face.

The guy is asking for feedback.

Lets rephrase that for the dense of thinking: The "Awful Modder That You Hate So Much" is prepared to wade knee deep in the shithole that is minecraft's forums for feedback.

This is not someone howling "MY VISION!" and forcing it down your throat. If he's also decent enough to put in good configs without the sass, It'll be a point in his favour in my books.

If you care, you'll say something about it.

But, jesus christ Azanor, what are you doing? Dont loving nerf void jars like that. :cripes: The amount of loving arbor that is generated with NO USE AT ALL is obscene.

E: On the plus side, i cant wait to see OMPI designate a certain part of the world to waste disposal and turn some small island into a toxic hellscape. :getin:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 29, 2015

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The feedback he is looking for is "Everything sounds Fun and Balanced, we'll get back on our knees now." I highly doubt he'll accept anything else.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

For me the infuriating part about Thaumcraft is that Thaumium's so damned useful for Tinker's Construct I'm basically obliged to at least get to Thaumium in the changes-with-every-version research tree that I otherwise don't care about because it's all so goddamn fiddly.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Eox posted:

The feedback he is looking for is "Everything sounds Fun and Balanced, we'll get back on our knees now." I highly doubt he'll accept anything else.

.... Probably. Look, I don't want to be outright cynical. These changes sound like changes for no other reason then changing things. That's not necessary a bad thing. I mean, so many posters still sound like they hate warp and everything related to it. Warp was a pretty big change when it was first added! Yet it has been significantly improved from its first incarnation based on feedback.
Plus you cant deny its pretty unique in regards to the "resources" mods usually use. Industry has its power needs, magic has its madness costs. That's pretty cool in my eyes.

Yet for all the good, its still saddled behind the worst loving thing in modded minecraft, a unbelievably convoluted research tree and its ghastly minigame, and that's something he'll never budge on. If it was just the scanning part...

I mean for every one of these:

We get at least two people going "I never want to look at thaumcraft again." and three more going "What the gently caress is this poo poo." or some variant of it when starting up for the first time. You want to have fun? Explain to someone how to get started in Thaumcraft. We've had two different goons (me being one of them) write ridiculously long guides and god alone knows how many youtube ones there must be. poo poo's as impenetrable as Fort Knox.

Would any of you hate these changes if they came at the entire research game being axed down to just "Scan a thing, learn a thing."? Too bad that'll never happen.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 29, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
One of my favorite changes in all of TC4 was that alchemical furnaces, and especially Alembics, were finally more straightforward, clean, and understandable. You knew exactly how much you were going to get out and it was easy to plan recipes around this, especially once you finally got a good essentia routing system (or just wised up and used Thaumic Energistics, like I finally did). Combine the simple alembic system with the alchemical construct that can specifically process items and fluid essentia in a smart way over a crucible, and goddamn, things were finally humming! No more wasted items, no more wasted essentia, no more massive amounts of obnoxious flux being irreversibly vented into the atmosphere. Separating them from the crucible was a good idea. The downside was that by not using this method, essentia put into crucibles would actually start to decay almost immediately into base aspects you never wanted in the recipe, but at least there was a method to avoid that entirely. After so many versions I finally liked TC's alchemy.

Now we're tumbling down a dark abyss right back to messy smelters, tiny (and singular) alembics, multiblock furnaces, flux venting, and so on. Right back to all the poo poo I hated and was so happy to see finally, finally gone.
Also void jars. What the gently caress? If it's going to be "dangerous to use" why not just put them in vials and throw those in some deep chest, or a lava pool if you really need the storage space that badly? "We really wanted this convenient way to get rid of having too much of a resource to be a huge penalty instead so here you go, a thing you'll never craft." They just dump it back into the aura anyway so how the gently caress is that any better than just breaking the poo poo in the first place?

What the gently caress is he thinking? :psyduck:

Thyrork posted:

Would any of you hate these changes if they came at the entire research game being axed down to just "Scan a thing, learn a thing."? Too bad that'll never happen.
I'd like that, but I'd still hate these changes individually, yes.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Thyrork posted:

The guy is asking for feedback.

Lets rephrase that for the dense of thinking: The "Awful Modder That You Hate So Much" is prepared to wade knee deep in the shithole that is minecraft's forums for feedback.

This is not someone howling "MY VISION!" and forcing it down your throat. If he's also decent enough to put in good configs without the sass, It'll be a point in his favour in my books.

If you care, you'll say something about it.

But, jesus christ Azanor, what are you doing? Dont loving nerf void jars like that. :cripes: The amount of loving arbor that is generated with NO USE AT ALL is obscene.

E: On the plus side, i cant wait to see OMPI designate a certain part of the world to waste disposal and turn some small island into a toxic hellscape. :getin:

I posted some feedback. I'm going to get banned probably.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I'm confident that the horseshit will be corrected by Azanor at a glacial pace, but even more confident that addon mods will spring up quickly to counteract the truly egregious horseshit. I can see it now... Ancient Thaumaturgy - Lost Technology of Days Gone By: a mod that adds an arcane alembic that holds up to 32 essentia and can be stacked and a void jar that doesn't vent into the atmosphere. That's the whole mod.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
If Void Jars just dumped the extra essentia as Flux into the same place in the Nether and created a new nether-only biome that is Taint 2.0 dangerous containing new treasures that would be cool

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Demiurge4 posted:

I posted some feedback. I'm going to get banned probably.

Link, maybe ill nut up and dive into the fetid cesspit alongside you.

Blind Duke posted:

If Void Jars just dumped the extra essentia as Flux into the same place in the Nether and created a new nether-only biome that is Taint 2.0 dangerous containing new treasures that would be cool

:allears: I want stuff like this.

Fortis posted:

I can see it now... Ancient Thaumaturgy - Lost Technology of Days Gone By:

And equally, I want stuff like that too. Heck, its how we got the Everful Urn back.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Link, maybe ill nut up and dive into the fetid cesspit alongside you.

Feel free.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Man I like the concept of Thaumcraft so much but Flux is just the laziest goddamned thing. It would be way cooler to have essentia dumped into the atmosphere actually do poo poo, like a particularly arbor-infused chunk will have bare wood start sprouting leaves, too much gelum causes water to freeze and Ignis will have poo poo just catch fire randomly. Plus with it being now a chunk-based system, you can more easily have crazy wizard bases spanning multiple elements There are so many possibilities but no it's just purple poo poo that eats your world alive.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Azanor posted:

4) Alembic have been, to put it simply, nerfed. They didn't really need a nerf, but as things work now it didn't really fit with the new system.

Hahaha what the christ.

"I couldn't be hosed to come up with a solution, so I nerfed it lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Only had time for a quick bit of snark before work, hope it provides amusement.