Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I wouldn't bother with anything more than a 3W I could hit somewhat reliably, and err on the side if having too many wedges than woods. I would not worry about the particular club too much as long as it was a brand you have heard of and not ancient.

DuckHuntDog fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Took my new driver to the course this morning - measured a couple with Golfshot at 250 yards with wind in my face

Although I'm not convinced the Golfshot app is super accurate, my old driver would seldom pass 230 yards so I am pleased!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I'm in love with my Bridgestone irons so far but the set was only 5-PW and I'm having a hard time tracking down a single 4i to add. Right now I have Xhot 3/4 hybrids but I can't predict where they will go nearly as well as my 5i so I'm reluctant to use them. Last year I relied on the hybrids like crazy, it's funny how these things seem to change constantly.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Played 9 holes tonight in my league. This is literally the best round I've ever played. It's amazing how well I can shot when I don't have a blow up hole.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

I'm in love with my Bridgestone irons so far but the set was only 5-PW and I'm having a hard time tracking down a single 4i to add. Right now I have Xhot 3/4 hybrids but I can't predict where they will go nearly as well as my 5i so I'm reluctant to use them. Last year I relied on the hybrids like crazy, it's funny how these things seem to change constantly.

Hybrids have never really done it for me. Currently I have a 3 wood and no hybrids. I use the 3 wood maybe once every 5 rounds. I guess I'm just suited to irons. The Taylor Made RSi 2 iron is the best club I've bought in a while. I can hit it ~220meters with ease but importantly I'm comfortable with it off the tee.

Currently I have Driver, 3W 2i, 3i, 5i through to PW and then a set of refurb Vokey 52-56-60.

Strongly considering ditching the 3W and getting a 4 iron :)

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I'm testing out Tom Wishon's new driving irons (2i-4i) as soon as my fitter gets his shipment of them in. Will report back.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

angry armadillo posted:

Took my new driver to the course this morning - measured a couple with Golfshot at 250 yards with wind in my face

Although I'm not convinced the Golfshot app is super accurate, my old driver would seldom pass 230 yards so I am pleased!

Perhaps you should be pleased, though I'll give you my personal anecdote.

When I measure my distances with the GolfShot app (on Android), it gives me tee shot yardages that are inflated 20-25 yards. I know this for two reasons:

1. When I'm at my ball and ready to click "save shot" or whatever, it'll give me the summary (fly-over view of the hole with my shot traced on it + distance + club). From there, I click on my yardage, and it'll bring up the "edit tee shot" menu. If I click the little "X" to cancel, it'll bring me back to my same screen, but my yardage has dropped the 20-25 yards. If I do it again, it stays at that number. It does this on every hole.
2. I carry a laser range finder, and I shoot tee markers.

It's become automatic for me - track shot, save shot, click yardage, click X to cancel, click save for accurate yardage.

It could be a weird quirk in my phone, but I've reinstalled the app three or four times, and it's always done this. Is my phone trying to make me feel better? I'm happy to average 269 yards. 294 would be laughable. Test it out to see if you're getting inflated yardages.

Edit - 294 would be laughable for me. There are some beastmasters in this thread, though.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 26, 2015

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

Halo14 posted:

Hybrids have never really done it for me. Currently I have a 3 wood and no hybrids. I use the 3 wood maybe once every 5 rounds. I guess I'm just suited to irons. The Taylor Made RSi 2 iron is the best club I've bought in a while. I can hit it ~220meters with ease but importantly I'm comfortable with it off the tee.

Currently I have Driver, 3W 2i, 3i, 5i through to PW and then a set of refurb Vokey 52-56-60.

Strongly considering ditching the 3W and getting a 4 iron :)

Then ditch the driver and game a 1 iron :getin:

Grittykitty
Aug 10, 2004
Sand makes it scratchy
Soiled Meat
I'm at a weird spot with golf. Three years ago I would score in the low 80s just about every round with the occasional dip into mid-high 70s. So far this year I'm struggling to break 90 and yesterday I had my worst round in years at 104. I play weekly and I don't think I've been this bad since high school. So loving depressing.

I've realized that if I'm going to get any better I need to take some lessons but I have baby #2 coming soon which means a break from playing. I have six weeks left to play but I'm not having any fun doing it. Maybe I should make this an extended break.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I haven't been able to play golf since I've had my baby girl, but I DID buy a house with a nice backyard.

I'd love to get some sort of ball/net system so I can at least practice some until I can go out again. I have arthritis so to "get back in the game" can take a bit and I'd like to just keep myself loose.

I'm guessing it's as simple as a net/turf mat, but does anybody have nay suggestions?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Welp, my game is back! Was down in Kiawah for Memorial day and got out to a couple courses while I was there. Redeemed myself from my last outing at Cougar Point. Told my dad I wasn't playing from the old man tees because it forces me to use wedges for second shots too much and constantly adjust my swing speed and power hole to hole and it was throwing me off. So I moved to the back tees which play about 6800 yards was able to use more 8/7 irons on second shots and not have to hit anything at like 75% or whatever. Ended up shooting an 81 which is a far cry from the last round I had there a month ago. Even had an eagle on a par 4, it's one of those holes where if you're smart you would hit a 3 wood up the fairway which goes to the left, but if you got the distance you can aim to the right, directly at the hole over a huge pond and pray it lands on the green. Its about 295 to carry the water, 305 to carry the green side bunkers. I ended up smashing my drive to about 5ft above the hole and had about a 6" left to right break putt for eagle which I drained. I played the back 9 at 2 over. and the front at 7. So it took me a minute to get it together, but it turned out well.

My brother, who is a little better at golf than I am had an eagle hole out on a par 5. He tried to go for the green in 2 from about 240 yards out and mishit his 3 iron and ended up 100 yards from the pin according to the laser. Threw a dart at it with a 60 degree wedge and it hit the flag stick and dropped straight down into the hole, it was awesome, but also weird that it did what it did. If he'd missed the pin it would have been off the back of the green and normally you'd see those hit the pin and spin off to the side or something. He was even par until 16 when he fell apart. On the par 4 I eagled he tried the same thing and ended up putting one in the water and then came up short again in a bunker, when all was said and done he triple bogeyed that hole. Think he shot a 79 all in. My other brother who I thought was about as good as me had a lovely round and ended up shooting a 96 and cried about it for a little while until we bought him a beer. Was a solid morning of golf though. Also played Turtle Point for the first time and shot a 83. If I am honest, Turtle Point is an easier course than Cougar, but having never played it I was making mistakes. my next round there should be much better as long as I can remember the best spots to put the ball from the tee (and of course actually hit them there)

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Everyone is holing out! I played a poo poo ton of golf this weekend and hit a big milestone: my first under par round since I started playing again.

I was even going into 18. Hit a high cut kinda short but in the middle of the fairway. Pin was 155 back right, so I decided to hit a knockdown 8. Ended up jarring it for eagle and a -2 70!

My score the next day was probably better from a quality perspective. I shot 73 playing 7100 on a course I've never played before. Had 6 birdies and a double. Could have been lower because my approach game deserted me at certain points, but I was getting up and down from everywhere.

My other round was a 86, so that was less solid.

Took a lesson on Monday. Confirmed that the swing is progressing and got some good ideas for how to work on it. I've improved from being very steep to just mildly steep, and my coach says I could get into plus territory if I can successfully shallow out my downswing by a few more degrees. Here's to hoping.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Does anyone have general recommendations on putters? I've been using an old ray cook mallet for the last decade or so, and I've replaced all my clubs with new properly fitted ones over the last couple years, and the putter is the last one in the bag I need to upgrade. I plan on going to get fitted and I think I'll be getting another mallet, but I'm looking for general suggestions as far as brands/specific putters to look for/avoid.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Glambags posted:

Does anyone have general recommendations on putters? I've been using an old ray cook mallet for the last decade or so, and I've replaced all my clubs with new properly fitted ones over the last couple years, and the putter is the last one in the bag I need to upgrade. I plan on going to get fitted and I think I'll be getting another mallet, but I'm looking for general suggestions as far as brands/specific putters to look for/avoid.

Putters generally aren't going differ much brand to brand at least that I've seen. They all basically make the same type of putters. I still use a 10 year old beat up Odyssey two-ball and it's literally no different than their new ones. With putters it's more about finding the right weight you're comfortable with and the style that fits your eye. I honestly have never heard of or seen anyone get a putter fitting and it kind of sounds like a rip off. I mean, even the golf galaxy down the road from me has 5 styles of putters to practice with, all some nondescript brand name with no markings and various weights. Once you find one you feel you hit well you can choose the same style, weight etc from their brand names to buy.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 26, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Putter fittings are a thing. The short of it - http://www.better-golf-by-putting-better.com/putter-fitting.html

Off the top of my head, some people use hand-me-down putters that aren't cut to the right height. Others use putters that have a different weight or offset than what their natural putting stroke would need. Visual preference is also a thing. A fitting might expose you to a putter or putting style that suits your eye better. Confidence is invaluable when standing over a putt.

That being said, any putter fitting worth the money will test your ability to line the ball up properly with cameras or a laser system. If you're not lined up, you're only going to make putts by accident.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I would say putter fitting is probably worth it in the grand scheme of things, but only once you have a repeatable stroke.

In other words, if you're a beginner, go to the store, try different styles (not just brands) of putters, get the one <$100 that you like most.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I played a 6 hour round on Sunday with a bachelor party, it was terrible.

The course was totally full of duffers shanking their way around(including the bachelor party I was with).

I had the third best score out of our three groups and shot a mulligan free 100. The two guys I played with shot "122" and "130" with a good dozen mulligans each, it was torture.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Seymour Butts posted:

Then ditch the driver and game a 1 iron :getin:

Was tempted to get the 1 iron when I ordered the 2. Thought it would be to hard to hit but TM has done a good job with this club. I actually hit the 2i really high.

Re. putter recommendations - personally I like Odyssey. Bought one of these a couple of years back for ~$100 after seeing that most of the top 10 at the time were using it :)

Going to put on a SuperStroke extra thick grip on it to suit my huge hands.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I have one of these and it is my favorite

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

EnsGDT posted:

A buddy of mine has one of these and has been using it for the last 15 years or so.

I think I'm gonna get a fitting, its only 20 bucks so it seems worth it to me. I wasn't planning on spending $300 on a putter (maybe half that) so I figure an extra 20 won't break the bank. I've been looking at some Ping and Odyssey putters so I'm glad the last two posts have been votes of confidence. I've also looked at a couple Scotty Camerons but I don't think I need to spend that much.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Glambags posted:

A buddy of mine has one of these and has been using it for the last 15 years or so.

I think I'm gonna get a fitting, its only 20 bucks so it seems worth it to me. I wasn't planning on spending $300 on a putter (maybe half that) so I figure an extra 20 won't break the bank. I've been looking at some Ping and Odyssey putters so I'm glad the last two posts have been votes of confidence. I've also looked at a couple Scotty Camerons but I don't think I need to spend that much.
A $20 putter fitting is going to be a waste of money. There's no chance they'll be doing any actual stroke analysis with cameras and lasers.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

A $20 putter fitting is going to be a waste of money. There's no chance they'll be doing any actual stroke analysis with cameras and lasers.

I'll ask what's involved and if its just some goober measuring the length of my arms I'll tell them no thanks.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Glambags posted:

I'll ask what's involved and if its just some goober measuring the length of my arms I'll tell them no thanks.

This is definitely what it would be. They might offer to cut the shaft or even adjust the lie angle. Years back, I had my lie angle flattened by 5 degrees for $25 at Golf Galaxy.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Yo Zinc, did you ever end up making it out to Stoneridge?

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

EnsGDT posted:

This is my putter as well, have been using it for ages. Every season I think about replacing it with something modern, but I am never able to find something that feels right.

Anyhow, love the Ping zing. Wish I could move to something cooler like the Anser 2

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I've been crushing my driver this week after some minor tweaks to my stance and consciously reminding myself to just swing smoothly and hit the center of the face. I've driven the 300 yard second hole twice, drove the 17th hole today (330ish downhill), have had mid irons into the par 5s on my second shot, etc.

And while playing through various foursomes, I've had two different old dudes tell me I need to change my swing because I hit my drives too high and I'm losing distance... sigh.

I rarely play a real round by myself since I'd rather just play multiple balls, take extra shots trying to work the ball in different ways, etc. but with how many birdies I've been making and with almost no doubles, I'd probably be near par on my home course which is crazy. On longer and more difficult courses I'd still probably be in the 80s depending on the day but compared to where I was a year ago I'm thrilled. I'll be playing in a few scrambles at my course this summer plus the club championship and I am pretty excited.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I just ordered a new pair of FootJoy DNA shoes. Currently I have Nike FI Impact shoes but found there was little to no grip in the toe area and keep slipping with my right foot on drives. The Footjoys are regular spiked shoes and I haven't played in spikes in a long time, it'll be interesting to see how they do for me.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Similarly, I hit a breakthrough realization last night. My backswing is loving me up, and bad (too far back was taking my eye off the ball). While playing last night I noticed this and from that point forward I was hitting extremely clean shots that were going very, very far for me. I was quite proud of the 205 i hit my 5i, and 251 I hit my fairway. Now to see how long that lesson will stick.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

And while playing through various foursomes, I've had two different old dudes tell me I need to change my swing because I hit my drives too high and I'm losing distance... sigh.

Any guys that say stuff like that, just show them this:

Average drive height, 32 yards (96 ft). The pros hit their drives higher than they hit their wedges.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

I've been crushing my driver this week after some minor tweaks to my stance and consciously reminding myself to just swing smoothly and hit the center of the face. I've driven the 300 yard second hole twice, drove the 17th hole today (330ish downhill), have had mid irons into the par 5s on my second shot, etc.

I rarely play a real round by myself since I'd rather just play multiple balls, take extra shots trying to work the ball in different ways, etc. but with how many birdies I've been making and with almost no doubles, I'd probably be near par on my home course which is crazy. On longer and more difficult courses I'd still probably be in the 80s depending on the day but compared to where I was a year ago I'm thrilled. I'll be playing in a few scrambles at my course this summer plus the club championship and I am pretty excited.
Most amateurs don't have a high enough trajectory on their shots, old guys especially. Really though, you'd need to get on a launch monitor to be sure.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

EnsGDT posted:

I've got this in the oil can finish :hfive:

Actually funny story regarding that, a couple of years ago I got a ping rosewood zb, I absolutely loved the look of the thing. It was in black nickel and sexy as hell. I was enjoying it until one day I looked down and noticed a sticker on the shaft. The sticker said the putter was tailored for a "slight arc" putting stroke. I wish I had never looked at that drat sticker because from that day on I could not putt with the loving thing. I've never seen a sticker get in someone's head so much, I was just constantly thinking of trying to mimic that stroke. It got to the point where I had to put it away and go grab the zing. I swear to you I'm saving 3-4 strokes a round just because I went back to the zing.

Maybe one of these days I'll ask my brother to rip that sticker off and give it a try again and hope I don't remember, cause it's drop dead gorgeous when you stand over it.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 28, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jovial Cow posted:

I've got this in the oil can finish :hfive:

Actually funny story regarding that, a couple of years ago I got a ping rosewood zb, I absolutely loved the look of the thing. It was in black nickel and sexy as hell. I was enjoying it until one day I looked down and noticed a sticker on the shaft. The sticker said the putter was tailored for a "slight arc" putting stroke. I wish I had never looked at that drat sticker because from that day on I could not putt with the loving thing. I've never seen a sticker get in someone's head so much, I was just constantly thinking of trying to mimic that stroke. It got to the point where I had to put it away and go grab the zing. I swear to you I'm saving 3-4 strokes a round just because I went back to the zing.

Maybe one of these days I'll ask my brother to rip that sticker off and give it a try again and hope I don't remember, cause it's drop dead gorgeous when you stand over it.
FWIW, the Redwood ZB should have had a sticker that said it matches a strong arc.

The Ping Zing 2 is the same.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Most amateurs don't have a high enough trajectory on their shots, old guys especially. Really though, you'd need to get on a launch monitor to be sure.

Yeah I've never been on a high end monitor but I know what 110+ mph swings look like and I'm not close to that, so in order to manage a 250-260 yard carry I've got to be optimizing my angle/spin pretty well. I'm playing with my driver set to 10.5 degrees of loft and definitely hit up on it a little bit so it does look like the ball goes too high but I've never been able to consistently hit as far when I was keeping the flight lower.

I've seen so many people try to fix their "moon ball" drives that end up losing both carry and total distance when they get their flight lowered. There are definitely people who do hit drives too high or have too much backspin but I think a lot more people just don't have an accurate idea of what an optimal launch angle and peak height looks like for a drive.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Josh Lyman posted:

FWIW, the Redwood ZB should have had a sticker that said it matches a strong arc.

The Ping Zing 2 is the same.

I'm almost certain it was slight arc, but regardless this is what I mean, they're basically the same drat club. But I saw the swing arc sticker in my head every time I went to putt the ball, and as a result I tried to mimic it which just threw me all out of whack.

Where as with the zing it has no sticker, I don't think about anything, I do my natural stroke, and it ends up going roughly where I want.

It's all mental and it's silly and I hate myself for it.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Most old guy driver swings need a 14° or more loft to get even close to optimal.

http://wishongolf.com/3-key-specifications-of-driver-fitting/

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

EnsGDT posted:

Most old guy driver swings need a 14° or more loft to get even close to optimal.

http://wishongolf.com/3-key-specifications-of-driver-fitting/

True, I watched some dude getting a driver fitting who was probably in his 60's and they were giving him 12.5* drivers and his hits were around 16.5* at impact and they were saying that was good.

My driver is at 8.5, but my swing speed is consistent above 115mph on any launch monitor I've been on.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 28, 2015

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I hit the range last night and think I had a bit of a breakthrough myself. I realized I was standing way too close to the ball with my irons(especially mid-long irons). I adjusted a bit and was hitting the ball better than I have all year. It felt good to make consistent contact with my irons again.

I hopped on to the back 6(our members range makes it easy to sneak on the back late at night) and played through 18. I went birdie(up and down out of sandtrap on driveable par 4, tap in), birdie(drained long putt), par(tap in), birdie(tee shot to like 2 feet), par(2 putt from 8 feet), bogey(missed 3 foot putt after great bunker shot).

It was incredible. That stretch of holes normally kills me, apart from the driveable par 4 I RARELY birdie any of those holes.

My putting has reverted back to 'blind armless man with diarrhea' levels though, which is pretty frustrating. I just have no idea where the ball is going on short putts. It's pathetic for someone that's like a realistic 4 or 5 handicap. I played the other day and shot 80 with 40 putts, including FOUR 3 putts.

It's really great to see a 3-6 foot putt that doesn't even catch a piece of the hole, how does that even happen?

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
Seems to be epiphany week, I just figured out that I was standing too far from the ball, which was flattening out my swing, and also that my right elbow had started creeping up. I corrected both on the range, and I seem to be hitting higher and straighter now. We'll see if it sticks :)

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

mattfl posted:

I just ordered a new pair of FootJoy DNA shoes. Currently I have Nike FI Impact shoes but found there was little to no grip in the toe area and keep slipping with my right foot on drives. The Footjoys are regular spiked shoes and I haven't played in spikes in a long time, it'll be interesting to see how they do for me.

I've got the same shoes, they're great but I miss the BOA Lacing System. Every time the shoe laces come undone I'm pissed off. Truly a first world problem :)

UnionCarbide posted:

Seems to be epiphany week, I just figured out that I was standing too far from the ball, which was flattening out my swing, and also that my right elbow had started creeping up. I corrected both on the range, and I seem to be hitting higher and straighter now. We'll see if it sticks :)

I often go back to the Butch Harmon tip for this:

quote:

While addressing the ball, let your right hand go with your arm limp to swing out to your side. If it swings straight out to the side you are pretty close to the right distance, if it falls back to your side at an angle you are probably too far away. It's quick and easy to do when out on the course or on the range.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Tips like that probably don't work so well for people whose elbows don't go fully straight like mine.