Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

raditts posted:

I'm sorry, what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H98Q9VU6IEM

Edit: Oops, wrong YTP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkMmnGsymhA Also :nws: on both

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

NSFW due to language.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

johntfs posted:

NSFW due to language.

Oh yeah, my bad. I tend to drown this stuff out when watching videos like this.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

raditts posted:

Mission Hill happened over 15 years ago, guys. And we didn't have to fish any crypto-lesbian overtones out of that one, either.

Mission Hill was also aimed at an older audience.

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 27, 2015

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

achillesforever6 posted:

Countercounterpoint: Korra was both good and bad at points (except for season 2 which was universally godawful sans the Wan 2 parter )

Pretty much this.

S1 finale and pre-Wan S2 were bad and boring while S3 picked up and S4 did a pretty decent job of making the show fun.

Still, it's not as great as ATLA and that's still alive with the comics. Nick can try doing an animated movie and release remastered versions of the show without them looking like a blurry layered mistake.

Korra had a pretty good game though.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Haven't seen the whole show but of what I did see, only the pro bending matches and the backstory of the whole avatar thing were memorable.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

El Tortuga posted:

Mission Hill was also aimed at an older audience.

A moot point, since the people that make a big deal about this poo poo sure ain't in Stephen Universe's target audience.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Not really, to me at least this isn't really about the fanbases reaction or about the people gushing about how cool it is that we've come this far but it's just about the general normalization of it all. I mean gay characters have been in media for a while but they've been regulated to stuff above a certain age group and even then they usually had to be the gay character with that being the main aspect of that character. It's cool seeing stuff like in SU and Clarence because it's just sort of there uncommented on like it's perfectly normal. Jeff has two Moms and no one within the show comments on it. It's just treated as normal. When Steven discusses how Ruby and Sapphire are a couple no emphasis is put anywhere on this being unusual in any way. It's nice to see these relationships treated as being as normal as any other relationships. With homosexuality something is wrongly seen as intrinsically perverse about it and even if it's allowed on TV it's usually kept far away from children. I just find it nice that we are finally at the point where that is no longer the case. It's all just treated as normal.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

Counterpoint: Korra is good :unsmigghh:

any given well made shounen show like FMA or Soul Eater or whatever is better than Korra, simply because even they aren't as fanfiction-y as Korra was with regards to the setting, and are probably better written, somehow. i don't give a gently caress about steampunk or your dumb competitive bending sport sorry

Flying-PCP posted:

Haven't seen the whole show but of what I did see, only the pro bending matches and the backstory of the whole avatar thing were memorable.

Yeah pretty much except minus the pro bending matches. The only part of that show really approaching good was the Avatar Wan special

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
It wasn't so much that I cared who won or whatever, just that the actual matches were cool to watch.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Legend of Korra just kept consistently seeming like it could be good, and falling short, over and over again.

I don't really know if there was any one reason. Some people blame it on the series getting yanked around by the network (although that seems like a weak excuse after a point), maybe it was the way that they kept trying to make it more "mature" than the previous series, focusing too much on romance and totally neglecting comedy while they kept trying to tackle more adult issues that they ultimately didn't have what it took to seriously consider them. Maybe it was just some plain bad writing where they kept getting caught up in long drawn out sequences that ultimately wouldn't have anything to do with the rest of the plot, like all that pro-bending. At the end of the day, the series just wasn't that good, and I hope the makers go on to do something better.

And I guess the Wan two-parter was okay on its own, but it kind of demystified the spirit world and bending in general, which was kind of bad.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, while it was the sole bright spot of the series, it did have kind of a "midichlorian" effect on the mythos. Of course, that's nothing that whole "magic touch that removes bending power" nonsense didn't already do in the first season.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Did anyone ever see that half-live-action sequel to Code Lyoko*? Was it any good (assuming you actually liked Lyoko in the first place)? I'm guessing no, but I've been curious for a while how it ended up turning out.

* Yes, I know it's in French, I assume there are subs or something.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Saw about three episodes of that Lyoko live action thing and it was pretty terrible. Though it could be just that the fansubs i saw were bad, but the camera work, general story that i understood and action scenes were all pretty boring.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I know people were discussing ludicrous anime a couple of pages ago so I thought it would be relevant to mention that loving Beyblade, of all things, is getting a movie adaptation.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Legend of Korra just kept consistently seeming like it could be good, and falling short, over and over again.

I don't really know if there was any one reason. Some people blame it on the series getting yanked around by the network (although that seems like a weak excuse after a point), maybe it was the way that they kept trying to make it more "mature" than the previous series, focusing too much on romance and totally neglecting comedy while they kept trying to tackle more adult issues that they ultimately didn't have what it took to seriously consider them. Maybe it was just some plain bad writing where they kept getting caught up in long drawn out sequences that ultimately wouldn't have anything to do with the rest of the plot, like all that pro-bending. At the end of the day, the series just wasn't that good, and I hope the makers go on to do something better.

And I guess the Wan two-parter was okay on its own, but it kind of demystified the spirit world and bending in general, which was kind of bad.

Korra was weird because after a nice cartoon with good lessons you basically get story about a rich person trying to maintain liberal status quo.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jsor posted:

Did anyone ever see that half-live-action sequel to Code Lyoko*? Was it any good (assuming you actually liked Lyoko in the first place)? I'm guessing no, but I've been curious for a while how it ended up turning out.

* Yes, I know it's in French, I assume there are subs or something.

From what I've heard, the LA parts are incredibly meh, and while the Lyoko parts are supposed to be really good looking, it also has issues with it undoing the ending of the original series and then ending on a cliffhanger which all together leads to most fans of the original series ignoring it for the most part(not that the original series didn't have it's own flaws, like a lot of the early episodes being practically unwatchable due to being not only incredibly repetitive, but also the Lyoko segments being crap due to the kids being ridiculously incompetent in every meaning of the word)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Korra was weird because after a nice cartoon with good lessons you basically get story about a rich person trying to maintain liberal status quo.

Henry Rollins was right, and his punishment was getting his girlfriend's head blown off, and being locked in a cave, twice.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Did the show ever deal with the fact that Amon was absolutely right in every conceivable way? He even came up with a non-violent solution to the country's crippling inequality problem.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Somewhat, Korra ended the series by making sure the last baddie didn't get offed and realizing that everyone has a voice worth listening to, even if their methods weren't the right ones.

TwoPair posted:

I know people were discussing ludicrous anime a couple of pages ago so I thought it would be relevant to mention that loving Beyblade, of all things, is getting a movie adaptation.

All I want out of this is actual good action scenes and for it to have a wrestler as the protagonist. I want John Cena to let it rip or something.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Red Bones posted:

Henry Rollins was right, and his punishment was getting his girlfriend's head blown off, and being locked in a cave, twice.

LoK has good deaths. The murder-suicide is another okay one.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

readingatwork posted:

Did the show ever deal with the fact that Amon was absolutely right in every conceivable way? He even came up with a non-violent solution to the country's crippling inequality problem.

I don't recall that show really bothering to deal with anything it set up and always ended its seasons on plot points that weren't set up.

It was a pretty show at times but god what a mess.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I didn't watch it but didn't the show make all the members of the original gaang become assholes when they became adults?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
How's Young Justice?

IRQ posted:

I don't recall that show really bothering to deal with anything it set up and always ended its seasons on plot points that weren't set up.

It was a pretty show at times but god what a mess.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
season 1 yj was alright. It wasn't love it or hate it, it was more like "this is alright" or hate it.
The few people who actually liked it were then alienated when season 1 when five years ahead and dumped all of its plot threads away for new characters and plots that didn't feel as compelling.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

That wasn't my experience as a Young Justice fan at all. It had its flaws but both seasons were good; it took too long to get going at times and compounded with Cartoon Network's inability to show cartoons on a regular schedule it made some people lose interest. (Okay, that and all the annoying catchphrases.)

The fact that plenty of people get incensed when TTG! gets brought up because they can't let go of the fact that Young Justice got canceled is a pretty good indicator of the fact that the show wasn't just "hate it or meh."

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Young Justice was fine amidst its flaws. The thing about CN just utterly loving with it in the schedule often gets overlooked when discussing it, because you'd seriously get a couple of episodes and then suddenly the whole DC block is gone for months. And obviously that kind of poo poo is going to have an impact on perception.

The other part is that some folks get really really mad that in a comic book show, comic book villains are not defeated forever and have other stuff to fall back on once their immediate plans are thwarted so that they can actually have a continued presence.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Oh Snapple! posted:

Young Justice was fine amidst its flaws. The thing about CN just utterly loving with it in the schedule often gets overlooked when discussing it, because you'd seriously get a couple of episodes and then suddenly the whole DC block is gone for months. And obviously that kind of poo poo is going to have an impact on perception.

The other part is that some folks get really really mad that in a comic book show, comic book villains are not defeated forever and have other stuff to fall back on once their immediate plans are thwarted so that they can actually have a continued presence.
Its kind of amazing how awful CN was in dealing with their DC nation slot, it was fun when you had YJ, Green Lantern TAS, and these little shorts going on, but they just decided to slash and burn everything for some stupid reason.

There are some great shorts from DC Nation
Here's basically all of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fYUTpq0Ous
I love the different art styles and obscure DC characters that they use.

Also another reason I'll apologize for Korra is the musical score for the show is amazing and also has some beautiful animation (when animated by the right company)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The scheduling was horrible and Season 2 (with a 5-year timeskip) started a week after Season 1, which was... awful and alienating.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Was it Young Justice that was cancelled because too many girls liked it? Or was that just a rumor?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

paradoxGentleman posted:

Was it Young Justice that was cancelled because too many girls liked it? Or was that just a rumor?

I think that's more of a bitter simplification than what actually happened.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

That and the lack of toy sales were the reasons that Paul Dini gave for the cancellation of Young Justice and Green Lantern TAS.

http://io9.com/paul-dini-superhero-cartoon-execs-dont-want-largely-f-1483758317

But I imagine that the constant schedule fuckery harmed it a whole hell of a lot.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

That and the lack of toy sales were the reasons that Paul Dini gave for the cancellation of Young Justice and Green Lantern TAS.

http://io9.com/paul-dini-superhero-cartoon-execs-dont-want-largely-f-1483758317

But I imagine that the constant schedule fuckery harmed it a whole hell of a lot.
This is what also killed Symbiotic Titan which is amazing because that show seemed pretty easy in making toys for it. You could have sold the H.M.E.R. like hotcakes drat it :argh:

Also lack of toy sales is what killed the Thundercats reboot which is a shame because I liked that show too

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

I think that's more of a bitter simplification than what actually happened.

It is, mostly. Greg Weisman says on his site that the problem wasn't girls liking the show too much, it was their target demo (boys 6-11) not liking the show/not buying toys. And while that does speak to how the Nielsen system is outdated and how toys are overvalued in today's society, people do tend to overreach and go for "CN canceled Young Justice specifically because girls liked it" rather than admitting any flaw in the show.

e: VVV: Good point.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 30, 2015

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I don't think it has anything to do with not admitting any flaw in the show, while having everything to do with CN having a large track record of just doing really dumb, stupid poo poo - to the point where people have absolutely no problems believing that the girls thing really did play a large part because it meshes 100% with the network's history.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People hating TTGO over yj getting canceled only enhances my appreciation of the show.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Oh Snapple! posted:

I don't think it has anything to do with not admitting any flaw in the show, while having everything to do with CN having a large track record of just doing really dumb, stupid poo poo - to the point where people have absolutely no problems believing that the girls thing really did play a large part because it meshes 100% with the network's history.

Yeah, they hired a CEO, who ran a channel called Cartoon Network: abbreviated it to CN because he didn't like cartoons, tried to carve niche in the live action by making really awful live action shows, instituted the 2 season "threat" and making most of the old guard leave, and basically tanking the stations ratings besides Adventure Time; All in about the span of 6 years. And that's just the abridged version, I'm sure if I went digging for articles I'd find a lot of stuff.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gaunab posted:

I didn't watch it but didn't the show make all the members of the original gaang become assholes when they became adults?

The only ones still alive that I can remember are Katara and Toph (maybe a barely mentioned Zuko, but him and Aang were bffs) and they are basically the same characters just way older and not really important.

The shows problem isn't unlikable characters at all. It's tragically poor writing and story planning. Nothing makes sense and the plot veers off in the dumbest possible ways that aren't set up at all at the end of each season arc.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I watched Star vs. the Forces of Evil. It's not groundbreaking by any means but it's fun and I like the theme song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

IRQ posted:

The only ones still alive that I can remember are Katara and Toph (maybe a barely mentioned Zuko, but him and Aang were bffs) and they are basically the same characters just way older and not really important.

The shows problem isn't unlikable characters at all. It's tragically poor writing and story planning. Nothing makes sense and the plot veers off in the dumbest possible ways that aren't set up at all at the end of each season arc.

Aang turned out to have been a pretty crummy dad. Not abusive or anything but he played hella favorites with his kids.

Toph wasn't the best mom for her kids either.

Zuko actually shows up later and is great.