Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
throw counters are in but I wonder if we'll ever get the old fashioned throw back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

CharlestonJew posted:

throw counters are in but I wonder if we'll ever get the old fashioned throw back
It was probably "not cool enough" of a thing to burn your special combo for, so they dropped it. Honestly multi-batarang takedown got far less use in City for me. Why would I gimp my score intentionally?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wish Poison Ivy would shut up in that video. She seems less like she's snarking and more like she's auditioning for her stand-up career.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wish Poison Ivy would shut up in that video. She seems less like she's snarking and more like she's auditioning for her stand-up career.

The dialogue is rly bad, even for the standards already set by Arkham games. Do they still have Paul Dini?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Paul Dini is not involved in AK, if I'm not mistaken.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

That could have something to do with it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

tbh I'm buying the game just to hear Batman talk. Everything else is just gravy.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Batman completely smashing that car at 5:58 is pretty great considering his whole no killing ethos.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Serious question: Is Batman okay with putting people into a coma if they don't die?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
yes

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Serious question: Is Batman okay with putting people into a coma if they don't die?

The answer is yes.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

net cafe scandal posted:

The dialogue is rly bad, even for the standards already set by Arkham games. Do they still have Paul Dini?

I believe they now have Geoff Johns instead

:barf:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

:barf:

Hey, Geoff Johns did good things. He hasn't in over a decade but he did once.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'd read a Batman and S.C.U.D. the Disposable Assassin crossover.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Batman completely smashing that car at 5:58 is pretty great considering his whole no killing ethos.

Lol that dude is dead for loving real.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

So, dismemberment Takedown confirmed?

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Sober posted:

It was probably "not cool enough" of a thing to burn your special combo for, so they dropped it.

They probably didn't want you to be able to throw people off the top of buildings.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the games have always had plenty of invisible walls to prevent Batman from uppercutting dudes off the top of a skyscraper. I just wanna Giant Swing dudes into their buddies

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Didn't they give Throw to Robin instead? You'll probably be able to use it when teamed up with him.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

Lol that dude is dead for loving real.

Quadriplegic is not dead :colbert:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Canemacar posted:

So, dismemberment Takedown confirmed?

Well, word on street is that Red Hood's silent takedown is a neck snap and his regular one is a headshot :v:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, Geoff Johns did good things. He hasn't in over a decade but he did once.

You could say the exact same thing about Paul Dini.

I'm really worried about how much they've been emphasizing the car combat. I don't mind the idea of having the Batmobile to plow through the city with and I'm even interested in the idea of Riddler races but that car combat looks ludicrously unfun, I haven't seen a game other than Twisted Metal ever do car combat well, and it's just absolutely everywhere in the previews.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 29, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

They've already stated that those are early unlocks. Quit freaking out.

I rarely look up news on this game since WB has decided to take the Activision route of overhyping the poo poo out of things and, in the end, possibly spoiling stuff as well.

Either way, there's pretty good reasons to worry about the insane amount of preorder content for the game or even about the game itself.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think we're going to get a poo poo-ton of sidequests of varying quality. I'm not worried about those.

But arkham city, as good as it was, had a fairly thin campaign. I'd be shocked in Arkham Knight's main story missions barely crack four hours of content.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Pirate Jet posted:

I'm really worried about how much they've been emphasizing the car combat.

Me too. Both gameplay videos come together for like ~15 minutes of play time minus cutscenes and there's already two car sections + driving in that thin slice. The batmobile wasn't even optional because you either had to transport a person or clear out enemy armor. I'll give Rocksteady the benefit of the doubt and assume batmobile combat is actually fun in small doses but if the video is even mildly representative it's gonna get old fast.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I like that you can see the trajectory of the tanks that are about to fire at you because it's Batman so why wouldn't you be able to.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The latest footage kinda worries me. I get that people have been asking for a playable batmobile for years, but I think the argument "it doesn't work with Arkham's style of gameplay" is picking up more and more truth.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Narcissus1916 posted:

The latest footage kinda worries me. I get that people have been asking for a playable batmobile for years, but I think the argument "it doesn't work with Arkham's style of gameplay" is picking up more and more truth.

I've not seen anyone mention yet that there are no visible people on foot when they were driving in that video. And even at the end there were special bollards marked in red to indicate "no car access".

I can't remember the other game play video, but my I think the driving sections/areas (such as roads) will be devoid of enemies outside of scripted sequences and that while you can smash through certain poo poo with the car, there are vast areas the batmobile can't go where all the on foot enemies are.

These areas will have some sort of natural barrier like a crashed truck, or those fancy red bollards to prevent you driving in.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

That tank shooting bit looks loving boring. Kind of reminded me of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood's iffy vehicle sections.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
The previews linked earlier are as lukewarm as they can be. Not a single one says that the Batmobile adds anything to the game, one guy outright mocks the inclusion of Riddler Races.

Writing is still terrible judging by that last gameplay, maybe even more this time. All characters spout cringey lineliners at all times. Tank combat seems like a decent opportunity to show off some particle effects but little more.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
am I the only one that thinks the Batmobile sections look fun?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

CharlestonJew posted:

Depends on how much you will be fighting in the car, whether or not there are enemies that force you to fight them in the car and how varied its driving and combat can be. I can see it going either way but I don't think people are wrong for being wary of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

The multiplayer was by far the best part of Origins, and I would have loved to see it polished and iterated on.

Bane should have been playable in single-player. :(

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Bane should have been playable in single-player. :(

Backbreaker Takedown.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

In the latest video I actually thought the Batmobile combat looked interesting. Plus there are upgrades for the Batmobile so I'll be interested in seeing how that affects it too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Backbreaker Takedown.

Here's a reference to that thing you liked!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Backbreaker Takedown.

All his takedowns were the greatest poo poo ever.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

I was glad to see the Batmobile not getting hung up on little pieces of the environment (that corner of the fire escape that breaks apart rather than snagging the car), which was probably one of my biggest concerns. It's super friggin annoying to be driving a tank or other large vehicle in an open-world game where your size is more of a disadvantage than anything else.

Obviously this was a scripted demo and the real game might not be so forgiving, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's a reference to that thing you liked!

I will admit, people do that a hell of a lot with Bane.

I don't think there's one medium he's shown up in that doesn't have him talk about breaking Batman's spine or doing the actual pose.

Maybe The Batman? Even then, Bruce still ended up with a serious injury after their first fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

CharlestonJew posted:

Right now it looks like the kind of thing that's amusing in small doses imho but it also seems like Rocksteady has no sense of moderation. We'll see.

I, for one, will be very carefully driving the batmobile around gotham to reduce damage to public property and other collateral damage because I don't want to be one of those heroes. I will definitely be observing all municipal traffic laws and I will do it in the Adam West skin.

• Locked thread