Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Black Throated Wind is my favorite Bobby song I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

BigFactory posted:

Black Throated Wind is my favorite Bobby song I think.

It's gotta be Playing In The Band, but I like Black-Throated Wind too. There are some great versions of BTW and Looks Like Rain from 1972.

Here's another song that Billy hates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZDMexcPm-g

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I like Throwing Stones too :coolspot:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah money money sucks. Half of Mars hotel sucks.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There's a 30 show 80 disc box set coming out which has one show from each year that hasn't been officially released.

Of the years that I'm familiar with, they're all really good shows.

But still, 80 disc? What the hell.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

LordPants posted:

There's a 30 show 80 disc box set coming out which has one show from each year that hasn't been officially released.

Of the years that I'm familiar with, they're all really good shows.

But still, 80 disc? What the hell.

It's only $700!!! Hopefully it winds up on Spotify eventually like the 72 Box Set, but I doubt it.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
The second release of tickets for Chicago today went just about as well as the first for me. :negative:

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

LordPants posted:

I also am an unabashed fan of "Easy to Love you" and whatever the other Go To Heaven Brent tune was.

I have a special place in my heart for "Easy to Love You", and he played keyboards on my favorite 80s/90s Dead song, "Feel Like A Stranger".

Speaking of strangers, I've been away from the forums for a long while. Now that I'm back, I'll update the OP to reflect the 50th anniversary stuff, big posts about '72 (awesome), and so forth.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
Anyone looking for tickets to the Santa Clara shows? Thanks to unrelaible friends who back out after transactions are finished, I'm now stuck with an extra seat in 211 (full view stage) on Saturday, and two obstructed on Sunday (section 418). Face was $230 for the Saturday ticket, and $80 for a Sunday ticket. I'll let them go for whatever at this point, I just need to make something back here.

Don't buy tickets for friends who will claim to pay you back later - that's the lesson I'm learning!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Woo

goodness fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 23, 2015

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

goodness posted:

Yes I would love them. Pming you my phone number!

Actually I can't pm you, so just email me

Hey, about to send you an email. My initials are GR, and my email is my full name. Go ahead and edit your email out of your post if you want now!

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Saw tickets for $20 and $10 on lot today. A middle aged dead head complained, "Everyone has tickets, no one wants a miracle, nobody has doses." The lot scene resembled a tailgate at a college football game. Families with their kids, etc. The music was pretty good. The first set felt like Trey's volume knob was down. I don't feel like they let him inhabit the space he should have to properly play Jerry's role. He had a great soaring moment in Viola Lee Blues before set break (when a rainbow broke out behind the stage which was a nice moment). In Set two they certainly cut him loose a bit more. We got a great dark star. They did Drums and an out there space.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World
I really enjoyed the second half of set one. Cumberland -> Born Cross-Eyed ->Cream Puff War -> Voila Lee Blues I thought were great. The William Tell Bridge was a bit rough in set two, but the jam out of it was nice. Was that a common jam from the '71 era? It seems familiar but I can't place it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That first set is straight up bad music. Nobody can sing except Hornsby and trey doesn't loosen up until Viola Lee. Mix is terrible too.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

If anyone has Santa Clara tickets I would be interested.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Kvlt! posted:

If anyone has Santa Clara tickets I would be interested.

pmd with the goon that has them's email/

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Had an amazing time these past two nights. Haters can gently caress off, this isn't 1973, Jerry is long dead, the band isn't dosed to the gills, and it's never gonna be the same.

To be frank, the arena was on fire these past two nights. There was nearly nothing but positivity radiating from every person, and that rainbow at the end of Viola Lee on night one was transcendent.

I wish I had more to say, but at this point, I'm just happy to have been given the chance to experience a little bit of the band that I've really fallen in love with over the past few years. I'll see ya'll on the Stream.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Cross posting from SA Mart, I have some tickets for 7/4 for sale at face value:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729098&perpage=40#post447283720

Also looking to trade them for 7/5 tickets.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Anyone have a report from last night's show?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
YouTube clips are probably no way to judge it, but it seemed more even than the Santa Clara shows. The lows weren't as low at least. Phil even kinda nailed box of rain, so even if he croaked his way through franklins tower, at least he carried a tune on one song vs ruining everything he opened his mouth on in Santa Clara. It looked like a lot of fun overall.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Juaguocio posted:

Anyone have a report from last night's show?

Heard a lot of good things, seems Trey did a lot better last night then at SC.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Only caught second set but it seemed like the Bobby Show tonight, lot of his 80's and 90's duds plus a good Stella Blue pulled out of the fire by Trey.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah that looked like a garbage second set. Why would you let Phil sing birdsong? Mickey could have rapped it and done a better job I'm sure.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It's always going to feel different if you're there, but I liked the second set. It was great to hear Sailor > Saint, and Stella Blue was dope.

First set was definitely the highlight, though. Me and My Uncle, Tennessee Jed, Cumberland Blues, Friend of the Devil, Deal. Just some of my favorite Dead tunes all in one set.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It's just a shame in general that they don't let Mickey rap more. He's good at it.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Bruce and Jeff never seemed to come through in the mix, SC N1 was the best, this NFA tonight is dragging, and wtf at mickey's horn but then again wtf at fishman in a dress playing a vacuum.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I thought nights 2 and 3 of the Chicago run were pretty fantastic, all things considered.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Thank loving god it's Grateful Dead night at my local tavern in Seattle. I needed something to smooth out the rough edges transitioning from Chicago back to the real world.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World

The Nards Pan posted:

Thank loving god it's Grateful Dead night at my local tavern in Seattle. I needed something to smooth out the rough edges transitioning from Chicago back to the real world.

The Blue Moon?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I just finished reading Peter Richardson's "No Simple Highway: A Cultural History Of The Grateful Dead." It brings together a lot of great information from a multitude of sources, and is generally well-written and enjoyable to read. I got through the whole thing in only a couple sittings.

However, I still don't feel like I've read the definitive Grateful Dead book. Richardson focuses on the broader historical context of the Dead, and while this is interesting stuff, I'd like to read more about the inner workings of the band: the politics, the songwriting process, and above all, the music. Can anyone recommend a Dead book like that?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My understanding is that there is no definitive dead book, but rather you have to read a couple. I'd love to be wrong, if someone could correct me.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I think you'd be hard struck to find a definitive biography, mainly because I'd be surprised if any one person close to the band remembers more than half of it. It would take a ton of legwork to piece it all together, and it probably wouldn't move enough copies to justify the publisher's advance necessary to take the time to do the work.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I read uhh "A Long Strange Trip: The Inside History of the Grateful Dead" which was interesting and great, but as said it's like 1/3rd of a definitive work.

But it does shed more light on "Jerry Garcia as a broken human being" and how dysfunctional the band was administratively.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
There seem to be some topics that no Dead member wants to address. Billy's book, "Deal," is probably the most unvarnished look at the band's inner workings, but even he won't talk about the power struggles between the band and crew.

Phil's book is frustrating for similar reasons. I recall him breezing through the entirety of '72-'74 in like two paragraphs.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

LordPants posted:

I read uhh "A Long Strange Trip: The Inside History of the Grateful Dead" which was interesting and great, but as said it's like 1/3rd of a definitive work.

But it does shed more light on "Jerry Garcia as a broken human being" and how dysfunctional the band was administratively.

This is a fun read.

The Garcia biography is really interesting but it's more about him than the band.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Twenty years. It'll be all Jerry on the stereo today.

https://youtu.be/K3zAj93dwMA

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Twenty years. It'll be all Jerry on the stereo today.

https://youtu.be/K3zAj93dwMA

That's crazy. I went to a van halen concert the night he died. Sammy Hagar did one of his horrible solo songs as a tribute.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I was sitting in the back of an old beater getting stoned wondering why all the radio stations were suddenly playing Dead songs.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I was sitting in the back of an old beater getting stoned wondering why all the radio stations were suddenly playing Dead songs.

That was ethereal Jerry punching through the void, extending you a psychedelic thumbs up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

rest his guts posted:

That was ethereal Jerry punching through the void, extending you a psychedelic thumbs up.

I bet that's not actually what happened.