Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe they should give up and just merge the cooling and electric system. Think how much they could save if they ran the wires through the pipes.

All you need is a nonconductive coolant. Mineral oil anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Slow is Fast posted:

Friend who works at a dealer just posted this:

"Authorized do ecm sensor and engine harness. Product support interested in it cause first occurrence in 15 tdi, only 11k miles."

You guys really get the most insane VW problems. I don't know why y'all get this crazy poo poo, and us Europeans don't have it.

I think they stitched you up for revenge. After all, Volkswagen was Hitler's invention. :hitler:

Coolant migration is genuinely amazing.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Not going to open that can of worms again. But its suffice to say that they've earned their reputation here in north america.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

1500quidporsche posted:

While possible I don't think its likely. Bosch's intention was for the cold start injector to only fire on start up, on most cars its wiring is tied directly to the starter. The problem with using the cold start injector for extra fuel is that unless its placed at the throttle body its not going to distribute fuel evenly to all cylinders, and even then the fuel won't atomize as well as it would with the normal injectors.

I don't remember what the WOT switch did with plain old K Jet but on anything with an oxy sensor it caused the fuel system to run open loop. The problem you'll have with that today is that the fuel system likely doesn't have the same pressure it did 30 years ago and you may actually cause the engine to run leaner by going WOT.

Mooseykins posted:

Is it late K-Jet with Lambda? If it doesn't have a throttle position sensor that might just be a switch to tell the ECU that it's full throttle and gently caress yo lambda reading! Where it switches to open loop and dumps fuel.

If it doesn't have a lambda sensor that's the switch that engages party mode.

It is early k-jet without a lambda, but I think the US version did have a lambda so maybe it only does anything in the US?

The cold start injector is stupid as I think it only temperature triggers at below freezing. I have a manual switch on mine as I have to use the cold start injector like easy-start to get it to start easily when the temperature is anything below 15C

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Yeah that sounds different to how my Scirocco is set up. Mine is simply a wire that runs from the starter so its completely tied in to that. Isn't even wired into anything on the K jet system so it fires when you crank the engine regardless of the temperature. That must be Saab weirdness.

There are two versions of K Jet with Lambda. There is basic K Jet with lambda added, which was primarily for the US/California emissions regulations. Then there was what VW/Audi called CIS-E and I'm pretty sure was officially called KE-Jetronic, which used the oxygen sensor more for performance and fuel economy. It also some other stuff like a knock sensor and a separate ECU for better spark advance.

If you have basic K jet then you're already running open loop, I can't really remember what the WOT switch did or if there even was one. I only ran K Jet Lambda for a bit before switching to KE-Jet so I'm not too familiar with the bare bones one. I'll have to look it up when I get home.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
VW should have just stuck to aircooleds. Can't have coolant migration then.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nm posted:

VW should have just stuck to aircooleds. Can't have coolant migration then.

Blame emissions standards. :colbert:

The gubment ruined VW.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Mooseykins posted:

You guys really get the most insane VW problems. I don't know why y'all get this crazy poo poo, and us Europeans don't have it.

I think they stitched you up for revenge. After all, Volkswagen was Hitler's invention. :hitler:

Coolant migration is genuinely amazing.

Because VW has to cut corners to sell cars at the same price as other cars in the US.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

veedubfreak posted:

Because VW has to cut corners to sell cars at the same price as other cars in the US.

Oh, well sucks for you guys.

They seem to have a horrendous reputation for reliability and quality over there. It's the opposite here in Europeland.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
As true as that may be, I literally cannot believe it because I've never seen a single reliable volkswagen in all my years.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Have to? no, not at all. Chooses to? Absolutely.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VAG. VAG never changes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

As true as that may be, I literally cannot believe it because I've never seen a single reliable volkswagen in all my years.

This. And I get to see VAGes from UK, Australia, Japan, Singapore and whatever other RHD countries. And I can't visualise any way to make them reliable because the fundamental designs are just so poor. It isn't like GM, where you think 'if they had just made this for more than twenty cents it wouldn't be broken right now', it's that the engineering is fundamentally faulty.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

kastein posted:

German engineering: electrons in the water pumps, water in the electron pumps, coolant in the harnesses, and cars that actually have blinker fluid. :haw:

Hey c'mon now, don't lump the Germans in with Volkswagen, the company you go work for when you're rejected by Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Opel/GM.

#NotAllGermans

Ahh who am I kidding #YesAllGermans :smith:

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I remember I went to replace the dying factory horn on my vanagon once, only to discover to my dismay that the factory VW horn operates by switching the ground.

Why??

The Autozone horn that I put on would play continuously with the wires one way, and blow the fuse the other way.

I agree with the statement "The engineering is fundamentally faulty".

Switching the gorram ground, jesus!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Vanagoon posted:

I remember I went to replace the dying factory horn on my vanagon once, only to discover to my dismay that the factory VW horn operates by switching the ground.

Why??

The Autozone horn that I put on would play continuously with the wires one way, and blow the fuse the other way.

I agree with the statement "The engineering is fundamentally faulty".

Switching the gorram ground, jesus!

Uhhh, as an electrical engineer with extensive experience working on a variety of automotive electrical systems from several brands, who now works professionally in the automotive industry... yeah that's pretty common. Sorry to burst your bubble.

The reason? N channel MOSFETs and NPN transistors are easier to make, cheaper, for the same current carrying capability; it's safer (worstcase a short to ground will turn the device on, rather than blowing a fuse, destroying a driver transistor, or melting a wire); there are grounds available everywhere in the vehicle. For instance, a 1973 CJ5 does this because the horn switch wire actually runs up the center of the steering column and down through the steering box, and the other contact is just... the steering wheel. A 1994 Justy does the same thing, for the same reason (except there is a slipring and a spring loaded contact.) Most 90s jeeps I'm aware of do this, at least on the switch side, the horn is run by a relay which switches the positive wire to the horn.

You can buy two terminal horns almost anywhere anyways, they're super common.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Armacham posted:

I feel your pain. I used to have a Buddy 150. I bought an impact wrench and never looked back. I think you hosed your crank though.

Ain't my crank, Ain't my care.

Treat others like you'd treat your dong.
So I beat the gently caress out of everything.

Considering that assembly has been thrown apart/together 500-600 times with a bap-bap, ain' surprised it shat on me. It got a new engine anyway and is probably being crashed into poo poo as I type this.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

For instance, a 1973 CJ5 does this because the horn switch wire actually runs up the center of the steering column and down through the steering box, and the other contact is just... the steering wheel.

You didn't even talk about the funnest part about the ammeter firing all the electricity space magic through the jeep and burning it down.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slow is Fast posted:

You didn't even talk about the funnest part about the ammeter firing all the electricity space magic through the jeep and burning it down.

Something something Chrysler product.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

kastein posted:

Uhhh, as an electrical engineer with extensive experience working on a variety of automotive electrical systems from several brands, who now works professionally in the automotive industry... yeah that's pretty common. Sorry to burst your bubble.

The reason? N channel MOSFETs and NPN transistors are easier to make, cheaper, for the same current carrying capability; it's safer (worstcase a short to ground will turn the device on, rather than blowing a fuse, destroying a driver transistor, or melting a wire); there are grounds available everywhere in the vehicle. For instance, a 1973 CJ5 does this because the horn switch wire actually runs up the center of the steering column and down through the steering box, and the other contact is just... the steering wheel. A 1994 Justy does the same thing, for the same reason (except there is a slipring and a spring loaded contact.) Most 90s jeeps I'm aware of do this, at least on the switch side, the horn is run by a relay which switches the positive wire to the horn.

Well shucks I done got schooled today..

Sorry.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Slow is Fast posted:

Oh yeah, this was a good one. Spiffing up a '57 Bel Air with a giant blower sticking out of the hood for a cross-country speedrun. Let's see if there's a current on the horn! OH poo poo THE ENGINE'S CRANKING WTF :supaburn:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

Still a little strange though, there doesn't seem to be a relay in the system, you get two wires to the horn, one from the fuse and the other leads to the button. Even the International had a relay in 72.

Switched ground works great for the dome light though. Adding my door switch was a breeze.

All of this reminds me of wanting a passenger side horn button with a driver's side lockout toggle.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mooseykins posted:

Oh, well sucks for you guys.

They seem to have a horrendous reputation for reliability and quality over there. It's the opposite here in Europeland.

That's because you guys compare them to French and Italian cars.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Wouldn't you prefer power side switching so that if something goes wrong at or after the load, you can cut it off?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

kastein posted:

I think the main reason for horns having a switched live is that they draw a decent current and the switch is usually in the steering wheel.

Have a live steering column isn't really ideal or at all practical. So give the horn a constant live and earth through the column, up to the switch, etc.

There could be a relay in there somewhere but.. uh, effort.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I have a 2013 Golf GTI so it is the EU market car with a few US bits on it so yeah I haven't had any of the problems the Mexican built ones seems to have and a nicer interior. It seems odd when I moved to the US that people bitched out VW for being poor quality since they are fairly well regarded in Europe for it and then I did some research and drove a USDM Jetta for a month :v:

Handcranked
Aug 17, 2013
Sorry but the VW's in europe sucks cock too

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

nm posted:

That's because you guys compare them to French and Italian cars.

I own/have owned/experienced European VAG products (AUDI), Fiats and French (PSA) cars.
I'll go with the French every day and in a pinch I would settle for an Italian one. A VAG product should be sold ASAP to get one of the former.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Plankalkuel posted:

I own/have owned/experienced European VAG products (AUDI), Fiats and French (PSA) cars.
I'll go with the French every day and in a pinch I would settle for an Italian one. A VAG product should be sold ASAP to get one of the former.

I swear the Italians are the only people who still make genuinely poo poo cars. (Fiat Panda being a prime example.) Newer Kias/Hyundais absolutely put them to shame. I don't think i would ever own an Italian poo poo heap car. They're all made on Friday afternoons, electrics are horrendous, interiors fall apart and rattle if you look at them wrong.

A lot of French cars are pretty good. The current Mégane is nice, and the C5 looks good. Peugeot don't have anything that interests me at the moment though.

(I own two VWs and love them. I've owned like 7 or 8 VAG cars.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Plankalkuel posted:

My impression of french cars has been that they're relatively reliable and moderately cunty to work on.

My impression of italian cars is that they're like VAG but without the labyrinthine needless complexity, but with GM level quality.

I'd definitely take a french car over VAG.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
The annoying thing with VW is they used to have the simplest cars in terms of design and maintenance. The Mk1 Golf/Rabbit wasn't groundbreaking in any respect, it was just a great design. I don't know what changed that they now have a compulsion to make their cars ridiculously overcomplicated.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Slavvy posted:

My impression of french cars has been that they're relatively reliable and moderately cunty to work on.

French cars are pretty good overall. Not bad to work on, no more complicated than they need be. Most mech work is pretty straight-forward and things are as you would expect them to be, nothing crazy.

Slavvy posted:

My impression of italian cars is that they're like VAG but without the labyrinthine needless complexity, but with GM level quality.

Italian cars are like French cars to work on, up to a point, then they do something stupid like have a single 3" long stud for the bellhousing, where the other 7 or so threaded connections are bolts. Oh, and you need to rotate the gearbox to remove it, but before you get to that point the tailcase has hit the chassis rail and you've still got half an inch of stud stuck in the bellhousing bolt hole.

Seriously, changing a clutch on a Multipla or Doblo will fill you with murderous rage and eternal hate for Italian cars. The only thing i like about Italian cars is the Alfa 1.9 diesel engine when it's in a Saab or Vauxhall/Opel. They're so good to work on, great money makers for jobs like cam belts.

GM (Euro) i swear are the easiest to work on, for the most part. I never had any issues with VAG, i worked as a specialist in them for like 4-5 years. If i went back to it and had my own shop i'd only work on VAG and vans.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mooseykins posted:

GM (Euro) i swear are the easiest to work on, for the most part. I never had any issues with VAG, i worked as a specialist in them for like 4-5 years. If i went back to it and had my own shop i'd only work on VAG and vans.

Have you like...never seen a japanese car? Or something?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Slavvy posted:

Have you like...never seen a japanese car? Or something?

They never did it for me, cheap poo poo interiors put me off ever wanting to own one.

Worked on loads of them, always found them overrated, even in terms of mech work.

Maybe i should open a VAG specialist and give it some gynecology-related name.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mooseykins posted:

They never did it for me, cheap poo poo interiors put me off ever wanting to own one.

Worked on loads of them, always found them overrated, even in terms of mech work.

Wow. Just...wow.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Slavvy posted:

Wow. Just...wow.

Meh.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slavvy posted:

Wow. Just...wow.

It's like when people get kidnapped and turn out to love their kidnapper. Stockholm Syndrome.

Wolfsburg Syndrome?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
All interiors are cheap garbage now anyways.

My dad bought some 2012 Mercedes SUV and I swear to god it was like I was riding around in a Rubbermaid container.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

iwentdoodie posted:

It's like when people get kidnapped and turn out to love their kidnapper. Stockholm Syndrome.

Wolfsburg Syndrome?

VAG are the best cars and that's the end of it. :colbert:

1500quidporsche posted:

All interiors are cheap garbage now anyways.

My dad bought some 2012 Mercedes SUV and I swear to god it was like I was riding around in a Rubbermaid container.

Odd, i went in a ~2010 E-Class in Amsterdam last year and it was sooooo nice inside i instantly knew i had to have one. Hoping in a couple years i can afford an E350 CDI, so i cruise Europe in utter comfort with 300hp of diesel V6 on tap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Late model mercs are great in mechanical and interior terms, yeah. They're like the only german brand who have gone forward in logical design and quality. Easy to work on, logical layouts for everything, great interiors, nice to drive, friendly diagnostic architecture. They also design their suspension with comfort instead of ~~nurburgring laptimes~~ in mind so they actually feel like a luxury car to roll around in instead of a really expensive kart-with-a-beer-crate like BMW's do.