Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Azanor from that thread just now posted:

The alembics have been nerfed because in reality they will be getting a relatively big boost as you unlock researches. In theory a single, properly upgraded furnace will be just as fast (if not faster) than the advanced alchemical furnace. Hence its removal. I prefer the idea of organic growth/upgrading of the basic furnace.

:cripes: so basically, its the same tired line the guy who did Foresty gave out in regards to the introduction of multi-block apiaries? Greeeeat.

Alkydere posted:

Only had time for a quick bit of snark before work, hope it provides amusement.

Its very apt snark honestly, Thaumcraft is at its best when its a technological mod powered by magic and forbidden substances. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Thyrork posted:

:cripes: so basically, its the same tired line the guy who did Foresty gave out in regards to the introduction of multi-block apiaries? Greeeeat.

Well he's not completely wrong. The basic idea is basically applying the workshop method to the smelter/alembic in that it grows gradually with your capabilities. You start out with a dinky little poo poo machine that spews pollution everywhere but over time as you amass resources you expand and refine it into something useful. Depending on the full size of it I can see it simply moving from big 32 capacity alembics to them drizzling off into a jar and your golems taking it from there and sorting it. But it is a bunch of extra steps for very little gain except flavor and a bigger footprint.

That all hinges on whether or not he'll allow lots of connections to the basic smelter block or if it only interacts with add-ons that are directly adjacent to it.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Thyrork posted:

And you bitched me out in ts when I compared him to Sengir the splosion-bees man. :allears:

I'm joshing broho.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Thyrork posted:

We get at least two people going "I never want to look at thaumcraft again." and three more going "What the gently caress is this poo poo." or some variant of it when starting up for the first time. You want to have fun? Explain to someone how to get started in Thaumcraft. We've had two different goons (me being one of them) write ridiculously long guides and god alone knows how many youtube ones there must be. poo poo's as impenetrable as Fort Knox.

I never found Thaumcraft that bad to start up in. It's mostly just that people can't be bothered to read the book properly (which is fair enough, it's wordy as poo poo) and miss the part about mixing whatever it is to create the life essence.
Ars Magica on the other hand is a loving nightmare. The unlocking bit of the book doesn't seem to include everything you need to get started, and I'm still not sure exactly how to get power into my spell creation thingy.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I threw my hat in, Demiurge4. Lets see how quickly we get banned. :allears:

Also, i totally called on your idea, Blind Duke and gave you passing credit. Suddenly purple eyes that stare and blink, peering out of the netherrack... :stonk:

Demiurge4 posted:

Well he's not completely wrong. The basic idea is basically applying the workshop method to the smelter/alembic in that it grows gradually with your capabilities.

Now that i think about it, its kind of like making the advanced alchemical furnace something you progress towards from the start. I... dont hate that, I just dont want the existing starting line to be shoved back for it.

StealthArcher posted:

And you bitched me out in ts when I compared him to Sengir the splosion-bees man. :allears:

I'm joshing broho.

Unmute TS3 you dink, so I can blow raspberries at you and show how mature and grown up I am at you for being right. :colbert:

Wolfsbane posted:

I never found Thaumcraft that bad to start up in. It's mostly just that people can't be bothered to read the book properly (which is fair enough, it's wordy as poo poo) and miss the part about mixing whatever it is to create the life essence.
Ars Magica on the other hand is a loving nightmare. The unlocking bit of the book doesn't seem to include everything you need to get started, and I'm still not sure exactly how to get power into my spell creation thingy.

Ars Magica is on the far end of a spectrum that has thaumcraft somewhere in the middle, but leaning towards it, and botania on the extreme other end. Deep, technical mods with some degree of documentation, and loving terrible to great implementation of it.

Seriously, Vazkii's done a good job at making Botania accessible.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 29, 2015

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Seriously, Vazkii's done a good job at making Botania accessible.

I will definitely agree I complained when it first popped up and flowers choked the life out of everything and name generation sucked terribly. But he has come a long way towers making it less of a grind and tweaking things so you can make interesting things with your mana. Only real complaint I have left is that runes can't be automated well because he is/was against most automation and cross interaction he doesn't do himself. So I want him to throw in a quick multi rune recipe (and a ducking replacement for the cake needed for winter! By far the most annoying ingredient for a rune)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Thyrork posted:

I threw my hat in, Demiurge4. Lets see how quickly we get banned. :allears:

Now that i think about it, its kind of like making the advanced alchemical furnace something you progress towards from the start. I... dont hate that, I just dont want the existing starting line to be shoved back for it.

Yeah I don't really know how draconian that forum is but it's generally a sloppy blowjob in all the mod threads.

I think the multiblock furnace idea has great potential but I'm not sure he's not just gonna make it a 3x3 block you activate with a wand, like the infernal furnace. That or it just interfaces with adjacent blocks.

That said I think a modular multiblock system would be wonderful and I cooked up something quick and dirty to demonstrate how a setup could look.

Each of the size 8 alembics simply deposit into a jar as they did in TC3 where it gets sorted by golems. Excess flux is filtered up through a chimney or whatever thing he invents for it and turns all or most of it into harmless vis that gets absorbed by the aura. Smelting time is improved with various booster modules attached directly to the furnace and for added efficiency of all of it you can attach a control module and boost it further with a brain in a jar.

That would be a pretty decent continuation and upgrade path for your workshop where you're encourage to improve the efficiency of your setup as you move up the tech tree and start generating more and more flux. I also adore the idea of essentia specific flux that generates various effects in the aura based on its concentration.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Thaumcraft has a bunch of neat concepts it addresses that no other mod does. Pollution, for instance, is something that I can't think of any other mod trying to incorporate. The problem is the pollution has to be interesting. If my options for dealing with flux are:

A) let it go until it spawns a taintcreeper on my head and instakills me
B) go to extreme extra effort to make 60 pharmaceutical filters or whatever to get rid of it
C) pipe it into a jar and huck it at a cactus

Then everyone is going to do C, and it's going to be poo poo. If, however, accruing pollution actually gives you access to some cool evil magic items, then that's great. If pollution starts making my wheat farm occasionally produce mutated Screamwheat(tm), then that's even cool. If pollution just makes all my stuff break and get more expensive, then that's garbage.

I'll remain optimistic, because Warp in its current state is actually pretty cool. Yes it's "bad", but it actually has a bunch of neat effects, unlocks a cool dungeon and a bunch of neat items, and if you decide you're sick of it it goes away on its own. I'm hoping flux will end up the same way.

No defending the research though, that stuff is awful.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Brainstorming some essentia specific flux because that idea is cool as hell.

- Split flux into two types. Essentia specific and tainted flux.
- Any flux generated is always essentia specific.
- When flux is vented into the aura through a variety of magical processes it has a chance to convert into tainted flux.
- The chance that flux turns into tainted flux can be reduced with filters and more advanced machines.
- Flux will break down over time and leave the aura, it does this by triggering a magical effect in the chunk and can be biome specific.
- Ardor flux will cause new saplings to sprout randomly in forest and jungle biomes, cactus in deserts. Aqua flux will cause it to rain, etc.
- Some flux effects can combine, Ardor will react with Praecanteo and spawn greatwood or silverwood saplings (silverwood only in magical forest biomes).
- Make all of these reactions secret and it'll be something fun for the player to do, to see what combinations he can come up with. Higher concentrations of flux have higher chances of firing.
- A high concentration of Praecanteo can completely change biomes and react wildly, creating new mob varieties and cool effects. Greatwood blocks will break and turn into wild golems, toads will rain from the sky and gold flowers will sprout from the earth.
- Tainted flux will not create it's own effects but merely have a chance of being consumed alongside other flux and create bad effects. Benign examples can be two headed cows, mutated mushrooms and thunder storms. More severe effects are tainted mobs and traditional taint effects.

Now that I've thought about it the aura system could be really fantastic if done with Fun things in mind, rather than adding tedious bullshit. Bring it on.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

There is no mod people complain about more than TC. Yet everyone still plays it.

Here's an idea, don't play the bad mod that you hate that is always getting worse.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
That's like most mods though

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I dunno I feel like people only complain about it because they actually like the good stuff and want it without the garbage. Nobody bothers to complain about the mods that are 100% rubbish because that's most of them and who has the time?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

I dunno I feel like people only complain about it because they actually like the good stuff and want it without the garbage. Nobody bothers to complain about the mods that are 100% rubbish because that's most of them and who has the time?

Just play botania, you get a lot of the good stuff with none of the garbage

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you can help me automate the runic altar I promise I will.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Now that Minetweaker exists (and I should hope will exist for 1.8, if it doesn't already), there's not much reason to get TOO upset about whatever bullshit Azanor throws in. You could make TC work a lot like Botania (i.e. making the ingredients uses the special infrastructure but ultimately it's all crafting) with some relatively simple recipe tweaks.

TC is one of those mods where it's kind of more about the process for a lot of people than it is about the product, but for the products that are legit useful there's no reason to put up with horseshit you don't want to deal with if you don't have to. I made a crafting recipe for Boots of the Traveler, for instance. Not an Arcane Worktable one (although you could), just straight-up crafting, cause they're just that useful. Maybe it's cheap, but who gives a poo poo? It's a sandbox game, instead of letting modders enforce rules, enforce your own fun.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

If you can help me automate the runic altar I promise I will.

You can do it with AE. A mix of export busses, interfaces, and an open crate. Can be refined further with some other pipes and an RF tools timer.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Taffer posted:

There is no mod people complain about more than TC. Yet everyone still plays it.

Here's an idea, don't play the bad mod that you hate that is always getting worse.

I mean, people play Thaumcraft because there's parts of it that's loving amazing and other mods don't really match it. It's not that surprising - if it was just crap like IC2 with easy replacements we wouldn't bother.

Edit: like for example, the Thaumonomicon is literally one of the best forms of documentation any guide has. Botania's isn't nearly as good, and I love me some Botania. The vis system is both amazing and awful. I recently did my first real playthrough of TC4 and the research was great. I'm doing my second and now I hate it.

Seriously it's a weirdly polarizing mod.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 29, 2015

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I always end up using TC in packs like Hexxit/ OMP Sigma because it's a good way to get armor that can repair itself instead of just falling apart in one battle tower.

I feel like a lot of mods offer decent options for weapons, but armor is just vanilla armor with different values. What does an "endgame" armor setup look like in something like Sigma?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Thaumcraft has a bunch of neat concepts it addresses that no other mod does. Pollution, for instance, is something that I can't think of any other mod trying to incorporate. The problem is the pollution has to be interesting. If my options for dealing with flux are:

C) pipe it into a jar and huck it at a cactus

:cawg: I can't stop laughing at this. If only we could apply this logic to real world problems.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

What does an "endgame" armor setup look like in something like Sigma?

EnderIO powered armor is the usual choice these days

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

GotLag posted:

Worse than the Redpower author (eloraam?), who included the stupid goddamn ugly volcanoes in the core of the mod so you couldn't turn them off?

they are configurable in frequency and can be set to not spawn at all...?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
oh sorry project red is different...

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
So episode 1 of what I hope will be an epic project has been uploaded. This will be a series recorded from the different perspectives of 4 teams, playing the blightfall modpack.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZlWyOL5M8A

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

wylker posted:

So episode 1 of what I hope will be an epic project has been uploaded. This will be a series recorded from the different perspectives of 4 teams, playing the blightfall modpack.

Enjoy!

Awesome. I love watching your series.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I would like a minecraft mod where trash management is a thing and there are also possums that get into your trash modded in as a mob

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Acne Rain posted:

I would like a minecraft mod where trash management is a thing and there are also possums that get into your trash modded in as a mob

If you leave enough trash out long enough you get bears.

Don't gently caress with bears.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

This is all terrible. :allears:

Thaumcraft was the mod that got me into playing modded servers. If I was still playing it would be the one to drive me away. :(

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

wylker posted:

Enjoy!

My OCD and minecraft sperg is annoyed and I started to make a wall-o-text about everything you are doing but decided against it considering I had to restart this map twice.

Edit2: I take back what I said, I'm not going to tell you anything, I'm just going to watch you faff about for days trying to figure something out.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 29, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are there still no modpacks updated to 1.8? Everything I can find still runs on 1.7

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

wylker posted:

Enjoy!

Are you using 2.0.3a? I thought the HQM party issues were sorted out with NoTimeFix.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

OwlFancier posted:

Are there still no modpacks updated to 1.8? Everything I can find still runs on 1.7

http://modlist.mcf.li/version/1.8

build your own :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There don't appear to be any useful mods like tinkers, or any of the factory style mods available for 1.8 either.

I don't get why everyone has such a hard on for 1.7

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

There don't appear to be any useful mods like tinkers, or any of the factory style mods available for 1.8 either.

They don't have a hard on for 1.7, 1.8 just really sucks to mod for, more so than 1.7 does. No big mods have showed up in 1.8 yet, really.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

McFrugal posted:

Are you using 2.0.3a? I thought the HQM party issues were sorted out with NoTimeFix.

We started recording a few weeks ago before the fix was out.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Honestly my biggest problem with TC liquid essentia is that pipes seem to clog and backup no matter what, and no matter how simple I go there's always a problem. Any functionality at all requires lots of closed systems and a lot of manual, active management.
My other problem is that aspects are spread out in such a way that there will always be aspects that to get one of, with any degree of accessibility, I'll need to also deal with like 7 arbor or 2 bestia/1 slime/4 air. This is why people need void jars.

Mzbundifund posted:

Then everyone is going to do C, and it's going to be poo poo. If, however, accruing pollution actually gives you access to some cool evil magic items, then that's great. If pollution starts making my wheat farm occasionally produce mutated Screamwheat(tm), then that's even cool. If pollution just makes all my stuff break and get more expensive, then that's garbage.
Yeah, that basically sums it up. If it's clever and fun and opens new options or offers interesting challenges, great. If it's just like IC2 smacking you with damage every once in a while then gently caress it.

Acne Rain posted:

But most items thrown out would be inorganic scrap, old tools, unwanted blocks. Food is one thing I almost never throw out, because it never goes bad, so I just keep eating it.

Taffer posted:

That's being more reactionary about this than the actual modmaker, who is literally asking for feedback and criticism.
This is like when people complain about Minecraft itself and people just go "Well if you hate Minecraft why are you all playing it??" We don't hate it -- that's the point. Most of us really enjoy it. That's why we care about where it goes and want to see improvements, and are so concerned over what we perceive to be negative turns.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Honestly my biggest problem with TC liquid essentia is that pipes seem to clog and backup no matter what, and no matter how simple I go there's always a problem. Any functionality at all requires lots of closed systems and a lot of manual, active management.
My other problem is that aspects are spread out in such a way that there will always be aspects that to get one of, with any degree of accessibility, I'll need to also deal with like 7 arbor or 2 bestia/1 slime/4 air. This is why people need void jars.

Azanor nerfed pipes so they can only be used for some very very specific cases, alchemy golems > pipes nowdays.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Cicadalek posted:

I feel like a lot of mods offer decent options for weapons, but armor is just vanilla armor with different values. What does an "endgame" armor setup look like in something like Sigma?

The top end magical crops armor is flying, waterbreathing, lavaproof, fireproof, never wears out, uses no energy and offers full armor. I'm pretty fond of it. Note: You WILL need to MFR that poo poo to ever get enough of all the bullshit essences required.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

OwlFancier posted:

What about 1.8 makes you want to play it over 1.7.10?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

bigperm posted:

What about 1.8 makes you want to play it over 1.7.10?

Frankly it sounds like the performance improvements would be worth it in and of themselves.

I can't play any of these big modpacks without my FPS chugging and stuttering, and I've got a perfectly fine gaming PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

El Generico posted:

Frankly it sounds like the performance improvements would be worth it in and of themselves.

I can't play any of these big modpacks without my FPS chugging and stuttering, and I've got a perfectly fine gaming PC.

Have you played with the graphics settings or the java runtime strings at all?