Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Corzaa posted:

Speaking of the painting. Is it possible Gryff pulled a Tyrion?

Gwyn mentions that their mother died shortly after Gryff was born, but I don't think she implies that the childbirth killed her, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Red Red Blue posted:

Gwyn mentions that their mother died shortly after Gryff was born, but I don't think she implies that the childbirth killed her, though

I thought that was implied by his older brothers picking on him and his dad having to stand up for him as family, sort of how Tywin kept Tyrion because he's still a Lannister, but it might've been unrelated.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
At the standoff scene in Highpoint I chose the "LET'S SET IT OFF BOYS" option, was surprised at how metal the result was, and then got disappointed when it turned out to be a game over because for a second I thought the plot was taking a very divergent turn

Athropos posted:

This game is full of moments where the antagonists are like: "I'm glad your father and brother died, they were filth and filth deserves to die! Scrub my boots Forrester dog!"

1. We're sorry that by dying and gushing blood everywhere they soiled your boots, Lord Whitehill. We will definitely make it up to you and will die in a less messy way in the future.
2. We should talk this through with a cool head.
3. SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE.

*punishes or makes the player feel guilty for picking option 3*

never feel guilty for picking option 3

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I was real worried about playing through the ep with what people were saying but I feel like everything has worked out except for the whole Ramsay fuckin Snow showing up at the end. Maybe I just naturally follow the course the game wants to force you on. Has anyone played along with Gwyn? I did on my first save but I lost it after having to reinstall the game somehow, I'd be curious if it makes a difference at all.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
I didn't kill that guy on the wall in Ep. 3 but they started me out in Ep. 4 as if I had so I guess my save is hosed. Cool. Not like the choices matter, anyway.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You get blamed no matter what unless there is some way in which the dude lives that I don't know about.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
I did everything in my power not to start poo poo and only defended myself, I basically told him to stop attacking multiple times and the game still treated this as murder. I didnt even finish the guy off, just chose the .... option. I did my best to keep my promise to Jon Snow.

Consequently, when I was in front of the weirwood tree afterwards, I chose the "The Watch betrayed me" option.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah that was a much better episode. Of course Asher's storyline will probably make him sit in Mereen for the next 18 episodes and he'll never make it home.

So if you choose to murder the poo poo out of Lord Whitehill at the dinner, you get a game over? Such a shame.

Beating the absolute piss out of Gryff was fun as gently caress and I didn't stop even when my lame mom wanted me too. Ended up knocking him out. No regrets, gently caress Gryff.

Does it end differently if you leave the Glenmore soldiers at Ironwrath? I assume the answer is no because lol at choices actually making a difference.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I liked the ep but fuccccck, stop trying to shove the show characters into the game and if you must at least make sure they respond accurately, like seriously... Dany getting mad over some slaver getting murdered by his ex slave? Do they even watch the show or read the books :wtc:.

The Forrester I care most about is Asher, he's totally awesome so it's sad that he has to somehow be involved in Dany's invasion of Meereen when Essos is full of different areas the show/books will never touch. It also helps that Asher is completely original in every way while his family are almost identical to the Starks which makes them less interesting to be honest, I like them but they don't have that spark the Starks have.

The game is at it's best when it's completely original but still has some of that GOT flavor, if it leans on the main series too much it'll just get dull. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point Oberyn has Mira poison his spear or Tuttle somehow gives Stannis directions to Mance's crib.

BillBear fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 28, 2015

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah that was a much better episode. Of course Asher's storyline will probably make him sit in Mereen for the next 18 episodes and he'll never make it home.

So if you choose to murder the poo poo out of Lord Whitehill at the dinner, you get a game over? Such a shame.

Beating the absolute piss out of Gryff was fun as gently caress and I didn't stop even when my lame mom wanted me too. Ended up knocking him out. No regrets, gently caress Gryff.

Does it end differently if you leave the Glenmore soldiers at Ironwrath? I assume the answer is no because lol at choices actually making a difference.

No, that end was pretty much the same. Also echoing everyone else's opinion about the show characters. Knowing that nothing you do matters when dealing with Ramsay Bolton because he's too important to the show just kills my enthusiasm for his section.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Even though it showed Ramsay with a knife in the preview, it doesn't necessarily mean he will do anything hosed up, or even that the scene will happen in the next episode. Telltale has done that before, and they don't have the next episode completed, or maybe even written at this point. I wouldn't worry about plot armor.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

im pooping! posted:

Even though it showed Ramsay with a knife in the preview, it doesn't necessarily mean he will do anything hosed up, or even that the scene will happen in the next episode. Telltale has done that before, and they don't have the next episode completed, or maybe even written at this point. I wouldn't worry about plot armor.

They aren't going to kill characters that are alive in the show AND the books.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

BillBear posted:

I liked the ep but fuccccck, stop trying to shove the show characters into the game and if you must at least make sure they respond accurately, like seriously... Dany getting mad over some slaver getting murdered by his ex slave? Do they even watch the show or read the books :wtc:.

For like the third time, Dany has explicitly tried to prevent the freed slaves from massacring the Masters because vigilante action will probably end in every non-slave in Mereen being killed, whether they're a fat, rich slave owner or the child of a poor free-man. She's tried to position herself as the dispenser of justice who decides when people will be executed and that's hard to do if you don't come down on people who take it into their own hands. Have you watched the show where literally this happened?

Since I left the Glenmore soldiers in Ironrath, I'm curious if it's going to turn out that Ramsay's men sacked the keep and killed them all in my absence. Going to echo that Ramsay sucks because you do know you can't really touch him, although they should at least put in another game-over choice where you can kill him and Colonel Campbell's voice chimes in to say "Rodrick, no! You've created a time paradox!"

The only thing that's really bugged me so far is I'm trying to find a diplomatic solution to the Whitehill situation and wanted to follow what Gwyn said about laying low and biding my time, but this episode basically forces you to take action. Gwyn even chides you for rejecting her plan, which is confusing to me because she didn't even know you'd done anything when she scolds you (is that a bug?). My guess for the finale (for Rodrick, at least) is there'll be a big choice about either marrying Eleaena to get Glenmore support to fight the Whitehills, or Gwyn to unite the houses and end the feud. Or, possibly, marrying Gwyn is something Asher could do.

Oh, and did anyone who had Rodrick rejected by Eleaena in the earlier episode act standoffish in this one? I found it pretty underhanded of her to try and lean on Rodrick's feelings for help after she'd specifically rejected helping him earlier.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Dolash posted:

Oh, and did anyone who had Rodrick rejected by Eleaena in the earlier episode act standoffish in this one? I found it pretty underhanded of her to try and lean on Rodrick's feelings for help after she'd specifically rejected helping him earlier.

Not quite, but I did succeed in keeping the betrothal intact in her earlier episode, so in this one I played like Rodrik was ~in love~ and always picked the action that came to her defense, and it actually went pretty well for me which is surprising in Westeros. Also seemed organic from a story perspective in that she would come to me when being forced to marry my enemy in order to give me a chance to fix it.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Dolash posted:

For like the third time, Dany has explicitly tried to prevent the freed slaves from massacring the Masters because vigilante action will probably end in every non-slave in Mereen being killed, whether they're a fat, rich slave owner or the child of a poor free-man. She's tried to position herself as the dispenser of justice who decides when people will be executed and that's hard to do if you don't come down on people who take it into their own hands. Have you watched the show where literally this happened?

You're continuously failing to distinguish between her actually taking over cities and her attempting to rule after the fact. Slaves turning on masters IS part of how she takes over cities in the first place. You're making a bad comparison to the TV show where she explicitly says "don't murder this dude" and then the guy murders him anyway. That has no bearing on what everyone else is talking about.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'd like to see Telltale either get the permission to make their game a separate universe from the source material so no one was safe or make an original IP where they have all creative control over the plot.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Spikeguy posted:

I'd like to see Telltale either get the permission to make their game a separate universe from the source material so no one was safe or make an original IP where they have all creative control over the plot.

Do they have a single original IP?

EDIT: VVVVV haha wow, nice bit of trivia!

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 30, 2015

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Karnegal posted:

Do they have a single original IP?

Technically...

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Spikeguy posted:

This was what made Walking Dead S1 so good I think. Aside from one or two characters that they got out of the setting by the end of the first episode, everyone was their own creation

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Kind of funny that so many people decided that this episode was the gently caress it yolo on the choices. I also did and it was a lot funner

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

the_american_dream posted:

Kind of funny that so many people decided that this episode was the gently caress it yolo on the choices. I also did and it was a lot funner

People are just getting bored of treading carefully only for things to get inevitably and comically worse anyway. Might as well have fun along the way.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I just felt sorry for Gryff, I didn't want to smash his face in, although I did feel like he could stand to be knocked on his rear end so that's where I started. I feel like with Mira going for broke was the best thing to do and that's what the game was really pushing you to do. I'm not sure what her story would've been like if you didn't this ep.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This game is a lot of fun, and it's sad to see so few people playing it (and meaning we won't see a sequel). Yeah it's got it's normal Telltale faults but it's like a whole miniseries companion to Game of Thrones and how could that not be good?

I am surprised I was of only 25% that let Seska ice the slave master. Seriously, the way they are pretty much the Han Solo & Chewie of this series, I'm pretty much going the loyalty to my ally is #1 route. Clearly she was having a meltdown over it, I figured he deserved what he got. I'd shot him myself but didn't want to deprive her of it.

Also I dig the Ramsey parts, because while I know I can't hurt him - I know he can hurt other characters, and that some actions may impact how bad he hurts said characters. That's why I find it even more tense to be honest.

Dogen posted:

I just felt sorry for Gryff, I didn't want to smash his face in, although I did feel like he could stand to be knocked on his rear end so that's where I started. I feel like with Mira going for broke was the best thing to do and that's what the game was really pushing you to do. I'm not sure what her story would've been like if you didn't this ep.

I beat his rear end until the cane came out, then figured I might kill him. I would have killed him but I wanted a hostage. Didn't feel sorry for him in the least.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 2, 2015

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
What are the 5 major choices this episode? Steam version isn't showing me what they are. It was a pretty good episode except the ending with Ramsay, which killed any hype I had and waiting for episode 5 shouldn't be too bad now

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Blazing Ownager posted:

Also I dig the Ramsey parts, because while I know I can't hurt him - I know he can hurt other characters, and that some actions may impact how bad he hurts said characters. That's why I find it even more tense to be honest.

Yeah, it's like being told "Here's a huge mountain range, your MacGuffin is on the other side." What you try to do is get across the mountains without dying. You don't expect to blow up the mountains, no matter how cool and satisfying that would be. Ramsey is an obstacle to be survived, not a target to destroy.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ekusukariba posted:

What are the 5 major choices this episode? Steam version isn't showing me what they are. It was a pretty good episode except the ending with Ramsay, which killed any hype I had and waiting for episode 5 shouldn't be too bad now

The question is, realistically, what are you actually hoping to do? Your house is so small you think 20 men is an army and you're going to gently caress up psycho Bolton? I think the post above me nailed it, and knowing he cannot be DEFEATED makes minimizing the damage the tense part. I really think people are too hard on it.

I don't get why Telltale has put 0 hype into the game though. I'd barely know it existed if I didn't blink, and a total of 1 person on my full Steam list has it. It's kind of nuts.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

The question is, realistically, what are you actually hoping to do? Your house is so small you think 20 men is an army and you're going to gently caress up psycho Bolton? I think the post above me nailed it, and knowing he cannot be DEFEATED makes minimizing the damage the tense part. I really think people are too hard on it.

I don't get why Telltale has put 0 hype into the game though. I'd barely know it existed if I didn't blink, and a total of 1 person on my full Steam list has it. It's kind of nuts.

The problem I have is that the show characters are more scripted and linear then everything else, like Cersei will always hate you, Tyrion is always going to help you, etc, so it doesn't really matter how i act around Ramsey since he'll either kill people or not, my choices won't matter in that regard, and I know that choices don't really matter in a telltale game but every once in a blue moon there is a choice that changes a small detail, but i know that choice won't be in regards to Ramsey

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Next Time on Game Of Thrones:

'You're not listening'
'Shhh'
*Pan around trees*
*FADE TO BLACK*

Hey yo this game kinda sucks.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

How much Telltale railroading does GoT do?

Like, I loved Wolf Among Us despite everyone bitching about the choices being scripted and pointless; I thought that the major decisions all had weight.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Like, I loved Wolf Among Us despite everyone bitching about the choices being scripted and pointless; I thought that the major decisions all had weight.

The railroading here is about the same as wolf, although I think it hurts a little more because the story tries to make it seem you're making TOUGH CHOICES with SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES when in reality they make very little difference to the progression of the story, and even if you make certifiably stupid moves the game will still string you along.

And for the record I also loved Wolf Among Us

Xanderkish fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 4, 2015

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Dolash posted:

She only does this AFTER the invasion though, she doesn't care about what happens during it and if she knew Beshka was his ex slave she would probably pat her on the shoulder and say "well done" since that's what Dany views as justice.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Karnegal posted:

You're continuously failing to distinguish between her actually taking over cities and her attempting to rule after the fact. Slaves turning on masters IS part of how she takes over cities in the first place. You're making a bad comparison to the TV show where she explicitly says "don't murder this dude" and then the guy murders him anyway. That has no bearing on what everyone else is talking about.

BillBear posted:

She only does this AFTER the invasion though, she doesn't care about what happens during it and if she knew Beshka was his ex slave she would probably pat her on the shoulder and say "well done" since that's what Dany views as justice.

It's absolutely relevant during the invasion. Although rising up against the masters and their soldiers was necessary by the slaves in order for Dany to take the city, and a certain amount of vigilante justice by the slaves was effectively unavoidable (like that one guy in the show who gets cornered in an alley by a mob), in Mereen at least Dany's policy was clearly not "kill all the masters" or there wouldn't have been a master left in the city by the end of the day. At best I'd see her begrudgingly tolerating any murders that weren't strictly necessary to take the city, but when there's a specific culprit she may need to set an example or else every slave will think that it's okay to go off and kill their former master if they feel like it, and if that's what she wanted she'd have done it.

This probably goes double for her own troops, which is what Beshka and Asher were during that mission, and Beshka almost blew the whole thing by running off on her own. Disobeying orders and risking justice for all the city's slaves just to get her own revenge is probably going to come up next episode.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Max posted:

This was what made Walking Dead S1 so good I think. Aside from one or two characters that they got out of the setting by the end of the first episode, everyone was their own creation
Also they had Sean Vannaman and Jake Rodkin writing, I'm not really convinced Telltale has strong enough writers now to do something wholly original. Walking Dead S2 was mostly piggybacking on the first season, and GoT so far has been the Adventures of the Not-Starks. I haven't played Borderlands yet though.

I'm getting a bit tired of the formula. Maybe part of it is them cranking out 6 episodes for the first time, but everything seems sloppier and more on rails than usual even for a Telltale episodic series. At this point I've lost interest in a lot of the characters and choices, and most of the enjoyment comes from trying to cause as much mayhem as possible. And I keep failing QTEs because they pop up while I'm leaning back and just passively watching things happen by themselves for 70% of the game.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

From everything I've heard so far is that Borderlands is really good. I'm going to wait until it's complete to pick it up but it sounds like it's worth a look.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Probably good at this point since its release cycle has taken a backseat to GoTs. I'd rather have more Borderlands, but I guess they probably have a contract with HBO and also probably it sold better...

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Honestly I'm loving this series a lot. The only thing that's been bugging me is the fact that it has to basically write around canon, so you know certain things won't/will happen. Then again I'm holding out hope that maybe the games aren't connected to canon at all. Like on the unlikely case that they had permission to screw canon, I think they would totally pretend to be perfectly canonical until almost the end when they took things off the rails. Yes, I'm aware I'm just being an idiot here but that false hope keeps me interested in Ramsey segments.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea borderlands is wayyyyy better and i didn't even care for the original games.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Checked out Life Is Strange on recommendation of this thread, and despite all the teen drama I'm enjoying it a lot more than most of Telltale's recent efforts.

The Giant Bomb quick look was also pretty funny.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Narcissus1916 posted:

It's constant and really obvious. I think it's the worst it's ever been, personally, as someone who really loved Wolf Among Us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I just finished episode 4. I hope Daenerys still doesn't get pissed that I stopped Beshka from killing her master. It seems from the preview that Daenerys gets mad no matter what. If she gets mad if the master dies or not, I would have let Beshka kill the master. I just didn't want to piss off Daenerys when she said to follow Croft's orders. I hope I didn't spare his life for nothing

• Locked thread