Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Hey, have we ever seen Deku's dad or know where he is? I remember him being mentioned near the beginning, but I don't think he's ever actually been in the comic.

Izuku's dad hasn't physically shown up at all. He wasn't even mentioned since the first chapter. Given the (great) way Horikoshi treats parents, I'm hoping he has something saved up for Dekudad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

EDIT: Actually, since the series is getting an official release, are we instituting a no pages/panel rule now? Will remove if so.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 30, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ruggington posted:

The Uraraka family is adorable
Uraraka's general demeanor, motivation, and her family kinda make me feel like the only thing protecting her from death or something seriously horrendous is her status as the female lead.

Iida seems to have caught the poo poo boulder that was rolling downhill at one of them for now.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Iida is probably going to do something colossally dangerous in the very near future. Possibly involving someone that rhymes with Zero Thriller.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
With how All Might has kind of filled the mentor/father figure role for Deku, I'm expecting his dad to either be dead or an rear end in a top hat.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He could just be overworked.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhonne posted:

With how All Might has kind of filled the mentor/father figure role for Deku, I'm expecting his dad to either be dead or an rear end in a top hat.

Todoroki already owns the "has an rear end in a top hat dad" trait, so Deku's dad is unlikely to be an rear end in a top hat.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

JosephWongKS posted:

Todoroki already owns the "has an rear end in a top hat dad" trait, so Deku's dad is unlikely to be an rear end in a top hat.

Deku's dad could breathe fire, so maybe he's Endeavor's ev--uh, good twin. (Don't actually think that's the case, just kind of funny that Deku's dad has fire for a power.)

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

JosephWongKS posted:

Todoroki's dad is the "I will mold you in my image and you'll like it" kind of rear end in a top hat dad, I was thinking Deku's dad could be the "I'll abandon my family because my worthless son has no powers" kind of rear end in a top hat.

Hopeford posted:

Deku's dad could breathe fire, so maybe he's Endeavor's ev--uh, good twin. (Don't actually think that's the case, just kind of funny that Deku's dad has fire for a power.)

I bet Deku wishes he had that flame breath power right about now. Would be pretty useful with two broke arms and all.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I gotta wonder if there's some mad scientist in the MHA universe who's trying to induce quirks artificially, like an imitation of One for All. What if Dekumom (was lying/didn't know), and either she or Dekudad was actually quirkless before taking a serum or eating a radioactive salamander? Quirks are hereditary, the same might go for quirklessness.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Level Slide posted:

I gotta wonder if there's some mad scientist in the MHA universe who's trying to induce quirks artificially, like an imitation of One for All. What if Dekumom (was lying/didn't know), and either she or Dekudad was actually quirkless before taking a serum or eating a radioactive salamander? Quirks are hereditary, the same might go for quirklessness.

Well, Noumu is an "artificial human" and had power... Not exactly comparable to All Might, but pretty far beyond most people. I don't know if Shigaraki or Black Mist are artificial as well, but they both have weird stuff about them (Black Mist's armor and Shigaraki's hands) that at the least looks scientific in origin, and Shigaraki's referred to his "Father"/"Sensei"/etc. a few times. So, well, there's something along those lines going on.

I doubt Deku's parents have anything to do with that, though. That'd be kind of weird.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rhonne posted:

Who do you think is the guy actually leading Hands and Black Hole Bartender?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Green Intern posted:

Iida is probably going to do something colossally dangerous in the very near future. Possibly involving someone that rhymes with Zero Thriller.

Zero Thriller would be a sweet finishing move name

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SpazmasterX posted:

Zero Thriller would be a sweet finishing move name

Seems pretty anticlimactic though.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
My personal bet is on Deku's dad being a relatively mundane guy aside of the fire breathing power, maybe a similarly big fan of All Might. Which then has me hoping this will then be used to specifically contrast him against Endeavour, who mocks his pitifully weak flames after challenging him in an extension of the rivalry between their sons.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I got ten bucks on him being a salaryman

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
What if he actually doesn't have a quirk either and is just a carnie that tells people his fire eating skills are actually a quirk?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I bet he's gonna be modeled after proto-Deku from the one-shot.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
As long as we're talking about dads, at some point Endeavor, as the number two hero, is going to be targeting by the Villain Alliance/Hero Killer and Shouto is going to have to decide whether or not he wants to save Daddy Douchebag.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

We haven't really seen Endeavor when he's at work, but I love how, as of right now, he's a emblematic of everything Stain and the Villain Alliance hates about heroes today.

It's pretty early to tell, but I notice the actual pro heroes are more individualistic while Deku and his classmates have worked with each other on at least two separate occasions. Once during the exercise with the fake nuke and again during the Villain Alliance ambush. I hope the students of UA reject the pursuit of personal glory prevalent in the current realm of professional heroes and learn to work with each other to perform feats that none of them could do by themselves.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hopefully the scouting reports are in this week's chapter. :toot:

I imagine Midoriya will get none or something dumb like that; but Grapes has been pretty much wrong every time he's said anything.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Deku probably won't get anything official, but I think there would be a few unregistered vigilantes who'd want to touch base with him. Given the way All Might kept his poo poo hidden for so long and that Hands was apparently off-the-grid, I'm sure there's enough holes in the surveillance network for unlicensed heroes to hang out in.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

According to the author comments in Weekly Jump, this arc actually lasted twice as long as Horikoshi had planned.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
And it still felt like we blitzed through it compared to every other Shonen series ever.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Waffleman_ posted:

According to the author comments in Weekly Jump, this arc actually lasted twice as long as Horikoshi had planned.
That comment alone makes me have more faith in this author. Specifically, he had a very specific and express purpose in mind when doing the arc but he knew when to add some padding and depth behind his concise original plan.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
bakugou alone made this chapter amazing and there wasn't a single punch thrown :whip:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I haven't seen the spoiler scans yet to totally confirm but, well, bars:

Predictably Todoroki and Bakugou get thousands of scouts after them with the immediate runners up getting ~100-300. Uraraka however gets 20 despite being eliminated in the first round.

Midoriya gets 0.

Everyone picks their superhero name. Super Japanese poo poo which I'm sure Viz is going to have a fantastic time trying to translate into something non stupid as poo poo sounding. Highlights include Bakugou having trouble coming up with a name that doesn't get rejected, and Ashido (ant girl) initially wanting to be called "Ridley"...as in from Alien. For real. Midoriya of course, picks Deku I guess. Oh yeah, Mineta literally picks "Grape Juice".

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 5, 2015

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I haven't seen the spoiler scans yet to totally confirm but, well, bars:

Midoriya gets 0.

You know, that spoiler, if completely true doesn't surprise me in the least. Basically just for Todoroki's own, earlier, reasoning.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Chapter!

http://bato.to/read/_/325021/boku-no-hero-academia_ch45_by_fallen-angels

It's totally Endeavor.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

I'd laugh if it was Venomous Chainsaw

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You go Ant Girl.

Become the Alien Queen.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Holy poo poo, All Skel's face. That's something you don't see every day.

Maybe Deku's dad is more famous than we thought and he'll be making a reappearance to take his son under his wing? I'd love it if it were Endeavor though too.

Tenya... :smith:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I cannot stop twinkling

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I cannot stop twinkling

Edit: I probably should have refreshed before I posted :v:

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

kinmik posted:

Holy poo poo, All Skel's face. That's something you don't see every day.

Maybe Deku's dad is more famous than we thought and he'll be making a reappearance to take his son under his wing? I'd love it if it were Endeavor though too.

I'm not sure which slayed me more. That or Bakugou.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I Cannot Stop Twinkling will be a symbol of hope for everyone

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
The class no-selling Grapeboy's. :allears:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

it'd be funnier if all might was midoriya's one nomination and skelmight is just playing dumb

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Nah, obviously Deku's one nomination comes from either Caim of Caerleon or his partner, Red. I can't think of anyone more deserving of such a reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is there anyone else it could actually be? It has to be a big time pro hero and Endeavour and All Might are really the only two big names we have. Aikawa, Midnight, Black Mist, Cementoss and others have popped up - but none of them have been shown to be big enough to deserve that reputation. It could be someone new, but I'd doubt it given the reaction.