Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Just curious how ya'll deal with it. Dont advise me to talk to anyone ive been there done that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Don't.

It does get better.

And you'd be a selfish bastard who's going to leave a trail of not just your brains but emotional and psychological damage to countless people even though your too far up your own rear end and depression to think your death would do anything other than alleviate your current pain.

It won't, and you don't have to go out like that.

Wanna talk? I'm up all night man. But don't go popping a round in your head. It solves loving nothing.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
the only reasons i've not done it before is someone might clean it up and i'm worried my dog wouldn't get fed. Now i realize sgli would cover that. oh well

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

the only reasons i've not done it before is someone might clean it up and i'm worried my dog wouldn't get fed. Now i realize sgli would cover that. oh well

No it won't moron.

Your dog will get put down, and your carpets replaced and walls repainted. A folded flag, and a bump in stats for sociology fags to pontificate over- or you could do the smart thing and not hurt yourself and get a handle on yourself.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i'm just going to pass out listening to the end on repeat

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
The only permanent thing you can do is kill yourself HCT- you do that and it's permanent. The rest of your issues? They will come to pass and fix themselves.

Suicide is a permanent solution for people too dumb or naive or sad to realize their misery is transient and part of making the good times worth sticking around for.

Don't do it, man.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 20, 2015

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

i'm just going to pass out listening to the end on repeat

I approve of this plan.

Maybe pop back in later to call me a human being and say your okay.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i saw that .ppt slide too but i appreciate it

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the dog will get fed, it will eat you.

go to bed.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

i saw that .ppt slide too but i appreciate it

Just sleep it off brother, nobody here judges you for feeling this way. I certainly have been where you are, precisely. Just don't hurt yourself, and it's all good.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Just curious how ya'll deal with it. Dont advise me to talk to anyone ive been there done that

You need to wait until you are clear headed to think again.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
How's HCT doing?

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Just ride the medboard out. It will be miserable during the process, but they are moving a whole lot faster than when I did mine. Afterwards you will fight to get your VA rating to a respectable level and you will get paid for the rest of your life for not killing yourself. It is pretty nice and worth all the poo poo you have to go through to get there.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Don't do what 95% of vets do when they get out and either go back home or stay where you separated. Go somewhere actually nice with good job opportunities.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Vasudus posted:

Don't do what 95% of vets do when they get out and either go back home or stay where you separated. Go somewhere actually nice with good job opportunities.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I like pounding pussy too much, brother.

But seriously, dude, some days can be a struggle. My main motivation is that I have to be strong because the good ones are gone. The guys that were mentally and physically tough aren't here to bear the burden, so it's the job of the able bodied guys like me and my friends that came back to carry that weight around, do something with my life besides being a body stacker. and do some a small amount of good in this other wise hosed up world we live in. It also put a smile on my face when i see fellow vets go out and do something positive with their lives like getting degrees, working for non profits and all that other stuff. I plan on playing hockey for my school next year, so I have a good reason to stay in shape. Plus, I have zero personality so I better look good naked or I'll never get laid.

Vasudus has great advice. I moved back home after I got out, and every day after I got out I was fighting demons. I wasn't getting stupid drunk, but god drat did I just want to not be a part of This Gay Earth pretty much every loving day if it meant I didn't have to hear another Rebecca Black song. Not only that, but I was a real turd pants to the people I cared about. I was super critical of what they did and would constantly snap at them over dumb poo poo. It's not just yourself you're hurting, it's also you're family, and that's the worst part about it. I see this happen a lot with other vets too, and it loving sucks to see a family torn apart.

After 2-3 years I moved to the midwest with a dude that was in my platoon. He was having similar issues when he lived with his family, so we decided to get a place out in town. Our relationships with our families has significantly improved, we don't get sad brains nearly as often and if we do we aren't thinking about killing ourselves. Additionally, I've become a lot more outgoing and social with people. All in all, I feel 100 times better. Certain deployment events that used to make me want to cry or get goosebumps, no longer do so.

Anyways, I hope some of this rambling helps motivate you nerds to move the gently caress out of your parents basement.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
I may be late to this particular party, but maybe other people can get some inspiration from my view of things like this:

Life has the meaning that you give it. If you want to feel that you are living life to the fullest or alternatively not feel like you're a failure, you just have to redefine what your life is about. I'm not sure precisely what your issue is because I'm mildly emotionally retarded myself and almost incapable of empathy, but you may feel like a failure because you're being med boarded from your service. You may feel that way because, even if it's unconcsious, you don't feel like being involuntarily seperated is honorable, or you may begrudge whatever condition is afflicting you that is causing you to be seperated because it's implied that you are inferior to healthy individuals.

There are lots of people every day who find themselves in a similar situation (from something as severe as becoming significantly disabled, to something as pedestrian as realizing maybe they're not smart enough or tough enough to work in a field they'd always dreamed of working in); I'm thinking specifically of a book I had to read freshman year about a college baseball player or something who gets in a drunk driving accident and wakes up paralyzed from the waist down. The common denominator for individuals who overcome these setbacks are that they find a new purpose for their lives; in the above book (which I apologize for not being able to remember the title of), the guy picks up wheelchair basketball or something and learns to love it, and eventually he finds a girlfriend that loves him and everyone lives happily ever after and poo poo.

While your own personal repurposing may not be as simple as his, you need to understand that this world is loving huge and full of stuff to do and see. Instead of thinking about how you're failing to live up to your own expectations or what doors have been closed to you (you probably won't be able to get back into the military, for instance), try instead to think about the doors that have been opened to you: you're not stuck doing however many years in the retard machine of the military to start drawing money from it, and the combination of that money (after going through a process akin to pulling teeth) and your education benefits basically mean you can take your time figuring out what your next step is for yourself. gently caress around, take odd jobs, try out competitive video games, learn a new language, travel, go back to school, poo poo post about issues you feel passionately about in D&D or GBS; just live for a while and see if anything strikes your fancy, then maybe you'll decide one of those things is something you could see yourself doing. Someday, you'll be able to look back on dark times like this and give motivational speeches to people in similar situations to the one you're in.

Again, I realize I'm late, but I hope you feel better, bro.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
gently caress off with all those words in the drunk thread you idiot

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
No sir. I gotta use the words to communicate complex and meaningful ideas. Also, this isn't the drunk thread, though it may qualify as "a drunk thread".

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Getting med boarded AND lonely? Dude, one of those problems is gonna solve the other real fast. Don't loving kill yourself, man, just ride this poo poo out and get out onto the greener side. Take your GI Bill, rape the govt for any grants or benefits you can get and sign up for a good degree.

Remember being a E-1 in the barracks and the non-stop sloppy gently caress fest that was? Bro, you just prestiged. You're going to show up to a college full of young idiots fresh out of mom and dad's as a self-sufficient, experienced, worldly military vet. So don't kill yourself, go to school, slay tons of pussy and post about it here so all us dumb fucks still in can live vicariously through you because I'm gonna be old and creepy by the time my turn comes.

There's so much to live for. Like threeways and blumpkins.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Vasudus posted:

This is fantastic advice. While I still live in the same state, getting a few hours between myself and my folks did wonders.

I lived with my parents for a few months after I got out and before I started school. It was not a good time.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Eulogistics posted:

No sir. I gotta use the words to communicate complex and meaningful ideas. Also, this isn't the drunk thread, though it may qualify as "a drunk thread".

pretty sure i was drunk when i posted that. tbf tho it does say drunk in the thread title so i stand by it :c00lbert:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hct we just got you back on gip and i was very happy to see you return

please dont do anything stupid

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
ITS ALL good thanks everyone i just dont want to close this like a bitch lol

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Rated 5 for no exploding craniums

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Vasudus posted:

Wish someone had given me this advice 8 years ago.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
dont let them win man, been there

its sweeter once its done because its gonna work out

youll see

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Was feeling the exact same way a couple of months ago. Now, I've decided gently caress feeling that way. I moved myself out of the barracks into a decent apartment, I started dating and met a real great girl (she's dating me, so she's probably crazy), I pick up the dog I'm rescuing on Friday (corgi/whippet mix, name of Joy), and my med board is finally moving along. poo poo gets better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
I was pretty hosed up back in the day. I copped a bit of poo poo in the face and the neck, as I was recovering I tumbled a motorcycle, rooted my legs. Came back from that and spent nine months wet nursing a bunch of wankers who had to be told how to hold a spanner by the shaft every day and were unable to wash their own coffee cups without a loving parade threatening sanction.

poo poo gets better, mate. You feel worthless now, but get med boarded out, land a nice government job and I guarantee you things look way better. The best thing you can do is to use the, I'm guessing your VA is like ours, free psychs. Talk poo poo out with them and you will feel way better, trust me. Jebus, I'm three sheets to the wind nuts and doing OK!!!

Spacman fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 11, 2015

• Locked thread