Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Turtlicious posted:

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/11665#event-316947717

So with this being merged, that means that lots of reach weapons, (spears, zweihanders, stuff like that,) will now function the same way the bull whip does. This is a good thing, and I'm glad Kevin changed his mind.

Quick just got even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Bayonets have a loving reach attack? Time to be a redcoat and listen to The Trooper.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Is there a way too check the time? I was running around and suddenly I can't see poo poo. I'm not sure if it's because a boomer exploded next to me or if its just dark outside. With a torch on I can see a bit further but apart from that its 1 tile in every direction.

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

Gridlocked posted:

Is there a way too check the time? I was running around and suddenly I can't see poo poo. I'm not sure if it's because a boomer exploded next to me or if its just dark outside. With a torch on I can see a bit further but apart from that its 1 tile in every direction.

It's night time, there's a little meter near your character stats that shows the sun position in the sky. It takes a little getting used to. If you find some kind of watch or clock, that meter is replaced by the actual time.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Just chewed through nearly a dozen characters running a Bad Day Tweaker start. The Bad Day start is bad enough as you start infected with no equipment and the flu. Oh and you're in the middle of the city and the house you're in is on fire. Taking the Tweaker profession on top of that gives you a meth addiction, so at any moment in time if you can't find some sort of drugs soon enough you'll all of a sudden drop to 25 speed and be chewed up by whatever is around.

Managed to find first aid a few times and my most successful could have lived through to a proper game but I didn't notice when my speed dropped to take my meth and ended up swarmed by fifty thousand blobs.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Gridlocked posted:

In addition to what's already been noted, if you're running around again while outside and your vision starts dimming, that's your cue that night is falling and you soon won't be able to see poo poo. Daytime similarly is easily noted by slowly increasing your vision back to normal, if you happen to be awake before sunrise.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

In addition to what's already been noted, if you're running around again while outside and your vision starts dimming, that's your cue that night is falling and you soon won't be able to see poo poo. Daytime similarly is easily noted by slowly increasing your vision back to normal, if you happen to be awake before sunrise.

BUTTERWORBS posted:

It's night time, there's a little meter near your character stats that shows the sun position in the sky. It takes a little getting used to. If you find some kind of watch or clock, that meter is replaced by the actual time.

I was running around for like 30min and it never came back :( Could it be because I got boomered to the face?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

I was running around for like 30min and it never came back :( Could it be because I got boomered to the face?

if you are boomered than your whole screen will be tinged pink and you can't see past a square infront of you.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

No, being boomered does not last that long. If you have a watch, what time is it? (Daytime comes back around 7 am I believe) If you don't, post a crop of what you see after "Spring, day 1" in the top-right corner.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Turns out there is a huge city near my Evac Shelter, in the opposite direction of the small town I'd been raiding previously. Dashed through it and hit up 4 gun stores before I couldn't carry anymore on my person or in my wheelbarrow.

I don't think firearms are gonna be an issue for a wihle. :getin: The only real question is what gun(s) to trick out. Might trick out the SKS, in honor of Fury Road. Plus I got 240 rounds for it, largest ammo supply amongst what I raided.

By the way, can I build a better wheelbarrow? A bigger box basically? Or will that be harder to drag?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 30, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

No, being boomered does not last that long. If you have a watch, what time is it? (Daytime comes back around 7 am I believe) If you don't, post a crop of what you see after "Spring, day 1" in the top-right corner.

I have closed the game now sorry. I did get to Spring, day 2 but it was still dark.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

I have closed the game now sorry. I did get to Spring, day 2 but it was still dark.

It's probably like 4 in the morning or earlier, which is still too early for the sun to be up. When it's daytime you'll see blue with a white + in the middle which signifies the sun aka noon in between the []s, during the night there will be a different character that represents the moon in the sky in the middle of the black space between the []s.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

By the way, can I build a better wheelbarrow? A bigger box basically? Or will that be harder to drag?

You could, but a heavier, bigger cart is going to be harder to pull, until you get to the point where you can't pull it because it's too heavy to move. It's better to have something like a small car or motorcycle if you want to carry a ton of junk around, and if you get really ambitious a whole super deathmobile that can scream around everywhere while holding all your stuff.

Gridlocked posted:

You'll need some kind of watch, a cell phone, or a wind-up alarm clock, often from a house but sometimes salvaged off a zombie. There are fancier options too, but these are the ones you're most likely to scavenge up.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Gridlocked posted:

Is your character nearsighted?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

nftyw posted:

You could, but a heavier, bigger cart is going to be harder to pull, until you get to the point where you can't pull it because it's too heavy to move. It's better to have something like a small car or motorcycle if you want to carry a ton of junk around, and if you get really ambitious a whole super deathmobile that can scream around everywhere while holding all your stuff.

Ah, that makes sense. I actually do have a motorcycle with side car I found and fueled up parked outside my shelter, I guess I could start using that. Not like I won't be causing enough noise with my new guns.

Alternatively I could start building some kind of vehicle, but my mechanic skill is only 3.

Maybe I could cut off the side car and mount boxes on the side of the motorcycle like oversized saddlebags. That or build a compact little buggy/sandrail.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Couple of newbie questions:

- Is it possible to empty a bottle into another bottle? I have a gallon jug of clean water that I don't want to cart around.
- Can I make fire without using a lighter/matchbook?
- Can I boil water faster than 1 sip at a time?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Fat Samurai posted:

- Is it possible to empty a bottle into another bottle? I have a gallon jug of clean water that I don't want to cart around.

- Yes, just select the container holding the liquid and then press 'u' to unload, it will give you the option to choose another container (either from your inventory or from the tile you're standing on), you can also press escape and choose a direction to pour it on the ground.
- Yes there are a few items other than those that start fires, there's also a CBM that does it. What you're looking for is probably one of the 'fire drills' that can be crafted with Survival 3 I think.
- No, but you can purify a whole bunch with the various water purifiers. A charcoal water purifier can purify 150 units of water (a full steel jerrycan or a large clay pot) in one go.YES.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 30, 2015

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Fat Samurai posted:

re point 3, you can actually batch actions like clean water - Go to your crafting menu, highlight clean water and hit 'b'. this lets you batch multiples of an item. If you wanted to make 10 units of clean water in one go, you could provided you had 10 units of ordinary water.

This doesn't work all the time, some things can't be batched. Apparently "reversible" items, but this applies to sandwiches if memory serves and I have never tried to uncraft a sandwhich before.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

- No, but you can purify a whole bunch with the various water purifiers.
Yes. Pressing b when selecting a crafting recipe will allow you to batch craft. It's actually more efficient to boil up more than one unit at a time.

edit: 1 minute? :argh:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

tooterfish posted:

Yes. Pressing b when selecting a crafting recipe will allow you to batch craft. It's actually more efficient to boil up more than one unit at a time.

edit: 1 minute? :argh:

Didn't know that, that's quite useful.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My advice is to steal a bike and turn it into a tricycle with a floor trunk on the back. The only downside is that there is no difference between "physically tired" and "sleepy tired" so you need to nap more often.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 30, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I haven't seen a bicycle yet (or if I had, I was too busy running like hell), but I'll keep an eye out I guess. Honestly I was leaning towards building a little 3x3 or whatever go-kart/buggy type thing, fuel isn't a huge problem (I know of two gas stations, one in easy reach) and I figure as long as I install a muffler a small engine can't make THAT much noise, can it?

Eventually though I wanna build a car worth of Mad Max though.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If you have the right tools, you can take the box off, which'll get you a steel frame, and then re-install it as a trunk, which will bump you from 275 to 650 storage. If you find a truck with a cargo carrier, you can install that for 1000 storage. I also like installing a gas tank so you can siphon random cars while you loot and not have to mess around with containers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Apparently rollerblades make you very prone to being knocked down! I checked out a basement, cool looks like some guys mancave filled with booze and pool tables and poo poo. Walk in and am immediately knocked the gently caress over by a CHUD, joy! Kept trying to stand, kept getting knocked down. Thankfully my reinforced clothing was holding. Still, I decided "gently caress this poo poo" and pulled my sawn-off out of its holster. Blammo! splattered that CHUD's brains all over the place. :black101:

That said, my SKS is proving disappointing, I was expecting to be headshotting Zeds left and right, but its barely doing anything so far. Still, I'm only 3 marksmanship/3rifle skill.

[edit] the CHUD was carrying a 55 gallon drum? Welp, I know what I'm installing in my eventual Mad Max car... but how am I gonna transport it? :stare:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 30, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Carry it in your bare hands! :black101:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I don't care how important or effective stacking morale bonuses is, raiding a jewelry store so my dance instructor looks like James Bond after going thought Blingee will never get old.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Honestly, virtually none of the morale bonuses seem worth it. They're all trumped by listening to music.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Honestly, virtually none of the morale bonuses seem worth it. They're all trumped by listening to music.

fancy can be really nice, because jewelry and the like doesn't add to encumbermant, and you can wear 2 of each jewel. Having a permanent +20 morale boost is pretty dang nice. music will always be king poo poo of morale mountain, but having to keep putting batteries in it til you get a ups/ups converter can be a hassle.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The real solution is to take stylish, gourmand, and optimist AND listen to music all the time so that your character is uncontrollably tap-dancing with joy all the time despite being half-dead of infection and blood loss.

e: which is actually a legitimate strategy since being ecstatic gives you significant Int/Per bonuses and I think boosts your speed, on top of raising your Focus sky high.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Except Gournand doesn't do anything and has never been fixed

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It lets you eat just about infinitely without puking, which enables some goofy morale stacking shenanigans. I reached well clear of +100 morale just from gorging on Toast-Ems once.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The way to get a really insane morale boost is with the Blood Filter bionic. Raid a couple of liquor stores a grab one bottle of everything. Drink three shots of something, run the Blood Filter to sober up, and move on to the next bottle. Gain a maxed morale bonus (3-stacks) from every different type of liquor in the game, explode in a happiness singularity.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Just lost my best character yet to fatfingering a book of matches when I meant to eat something, setting my shelter on fire, and then having the roof fall on my head when I tried to pull all my supplies out. :suicide:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Setting item spawn rate to 10x is hilarious. I've nearly filled a flatbed truck with materials and equipment just from two FEMA camps and a farm. I haven't even been to town, I don't even know where town IS because I started in the middle of the woods.

And when I found a mini-encounter where a drug deal went bad, each corpse was actually a pile of 10 corpses, all fully equipped (But always with only one stack of drugs), with maybe half of them cosplaying Megaman, because I've got 5 fusion blaster arms in storage. My clothes will forever be sewn with human sinew, and if I had any food preservation equipment, I would never go hungry. :unsmigghh:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I have just found out that Spitters are just as lethal to other zombies as they are to me.

I was being chased by a brute and a spitter tried to goop me, he hit the brute which immediately turned into a pile of melted zed. Thanks spitter!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wales Grey posted:

My advice is to steal a bike and turn it into a tricycle with a floor trunk on the back. The only downside is that there is no difference between "physically tired" and "sleepy tired" so you need to nap more often.

I built something like this, it works pretty well, except I can't haul it into buildings like a wheelbarrow. Also, my survivor gets tired waaaay too fast pedaling it around at 19MPH.

But thats fine, I've collected enough parts to start construction of my Magnum Opus. Its amazing what completely tearing apart a VW Bug and a Sedan can do for your mechanical know-how. :getin:

Plus I found a 6 Liter V8.

That said, is it possible to create an easily detachable/reatachable vehicle segment? It'd be kinda neat to be able to have a small cargo trailer or something.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That said, is it possible to create an easily detachable/reatachable vehicle segment? It'd be kinda neat to be able to have a small cargo trailer or something.

You can make Foldable vehicles I think if you use all foldable parts... this obviously precludes an engine, but you should be able to make a foldable shopping cart. Then you just unload it and store the item version in your cargo carrier until it's time to get it out and unfold it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So uh, can you blow up engines or something? I turned my tricycle into a motortrike and went on a supply run. While exiting town I suddenly got a "Your engine emits a high pitched whine" in the log which I failed to notice followed by it making a loud grinding noise. Then it died. :( Thankfully I have a small replacement engine back at base and it won't be TOO much of a trip to haul the engine over in a wheelbarrow.

Still, what happened? I hadn't really hit much stuff, everything else on the bike is still light green at worst.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So uh, can you blow up engines or something? I turned my tricycle into a motortrike and went on a supply run. While exiting town I suddenly got a "Your engine emits a high pitched whine" in the log which I failed to notice followed by it making a loud grinding noise. Then it died. :( Thankfully I have a small replacement engine back at base and it won't be TOO much of a trip to haul the engine over in a wheelbarrow.

Still, what happened? I hadn't really hit much stuff, everything else on the bike is still light green at worst.

If you drive above your safe speed it'll put stress on the engine, and eventually destroy it if you keep it for too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Aaaah, I thought the safe speed was "you're more likely to lose control" unsafe not "you're gunning the engine into the redline" unsafe. :v:

Also, I found an "engraved crystal" in a pile of dirt rubble. I was immediately attacked by a "Shadow". A sawn-off blast took care of that, but now I'm afraid to "activate" the crystal. :ohdear: