Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I always felt Bim Skala Bim was a group of very technically talented musicians who weren't making any interesting music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Bim the Music Industry

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Reel Bim Fishbone

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Please get out of the Jeff thread.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

An idea to help the people who want skaggestions (oh god did I really just type that), maybe we can make a collaborative playlist on Spotify so they can see what the 90's nostalgic hivemind likes and get introduced to new music Jeff?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been listening to the Scofflaws recently. I think they're pretty good; like the Toasters, they have a kind of 2 Tone sound which I really enjoy. What is there that's similar? The Pietasters were recommended to me previously, so I've been thinking about trying them. How about Bim Skala Bim? They seem to be the right sort of age to be a similar thing.

Probably Let's Go Bowling, Dance Hall Crashers, Slackers, Bad Manners, maybe Skavoovie and the Epitones, Heavy Manners (80s Chicago ska), and maybe Skapone, but I'm not really big on that band.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard of Skavoovie and the Epitones; I've heard a couple of their songs via YouTube and they seem like the sort of band I'd like. At the same time, though, I think they have a euphonium player, and euphoniums piss me off. Still, I reckon they merit a closer look.

Another band I've listened to recently - who I suppose might be a little more obscure - is Skankin' Pickle. I've only heard their first album but I'm unsure what to make of it or them. They have one song on said album called "How Funk" which I like, but it reminds me (and this is probably a bit of a left-field comparison) of something that wouldn't be out of place on the second RHCP album (just throw in a few more references to California). Haha! :D

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just got a new job (hopefully) and I just realized I'm going to have to ask for the night off again to go see Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish in June

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've heard of Skavoovie and the Epitones; I've heard a couple of their songs via YouTube and they seem like the sort of band I'd like. At the same time, though, I think they have a euphonium player, and euphoniums piss me off. Still, I reckon they merit a closer look.

Another band I've listened to recently - who I suppose might be a little more obscure - is Skankin' Pickle. I've only heard their first album but I'm unsure what to make of it or them. They have one song on said album called "How Funk" which I like, but it reminds me (and this is probably a bit of a left-field comparison) of something that wouldn't be out of place on the second RHCP album (just throw in a few more references to California). Haha! :D

Skankin Pickle was what the ska fans (me in highschool basically) listened to before 3rd wave was a mainstream thing. They did a lot of great stuff before Lynnette died, and Mike Park went on to make even more ska/punk music. Bruce Lee Band, the Chinkees, his solo act and he even owns Asian Man Records, the best goddamn record label.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

Spaced God posted:

An idea to help the people who want skaggestions (oh god did I really just type that), maybe we can make a collaborative playlist on Spotify so they can see what the 90's nostalgic hivemind likes and get introduced to new music Jeff?

http://open.spotify.com/user/mrjellybean/playlist/0k0IzxO0SAmBmKcRwAgZLw There's this that a guy from here has been adding to for a long time now. As for a request for myself I have a half marathon Sunday and was wondering if anyone had any particular song recommendations for my running playlist. Something in the vein of Mad Caddies The Gentleman where it's very fast and unrelenting or something with "Yeah you can do it" lyrics like The Aquabats Look At Me (I'm a Winner).

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
You're The Best by Joe Esposito from The Karate Kid Motion Picture Soundtrack

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

You're The Best by Joe Esposito from The Karate Kid Motion Picture Soundtrack

I'm good on montage songs, got a lot of Stan Bush. I was looking more for ska songs, to get more on the current level of the thread stuff like RocketRocketRocketship is what I was looking for.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Chewing on Tinfoil- Breso

Big D and the Kids Table- New Nail Bed

Mad Caddies- Mary Melody

Edna's Goldfish- Trace Your Steps

Less Than Jake- The Brightest Bulb/Screws Fall Out; Short Fuse Burning

Five Iron Frenzy- A New Hope; Fistful of Sand; World Without End; Zen & The Art of Xenophobia; comedy Arnold & Willis & Mr. Drummond option

Suburban Legends- The entire Rump Shaker album

Mighty Mighty Bosstones- Half of their drat songs

Streetlight Manifesto - All of their drat songs

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Streetlight Manifesto - All of their drat songs except Keasby Nights. At which point you must go back to original Catch 22

Also all of Catch 22

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Streetlight Manifesto has been recommended to me time and time again, but for whatever reason I've quite been able to get into them. I guess it's just that they're so hyped I inflated my expectations too much going in and ended up disappointed. :shrug:

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
The Aquabats have a lot of super fast fun songs that will do you good, especially their instrumentals. Try Shark Fighter as well, it never fails to make me laugh.

Go by Mustard Plug is a standard for me on most runs, as is Wild in the Street by the Circle Jerks because how the hell can it not be on every running playlist?

I made a playlist for when I started marathon training and it worked pretty well for me. Feel free to check it out if you Spotify http://open.spotify.com/user/125393260/playlist/2lDEK4rxbcKOinemSKAVTe

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Spaced God posted:

Also all of Catch 22

Regardless of what Tomas wants you to think, no Catch-22 song is a Streetlight Manifesto song

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Regardless of what Tomas wants you to think, no Catch-22 song is a Streetlight Manifesto song

I prefer Catch's Keasby to Streetlight's. The former sounds like it has real heart in it and really feels like it's just done by a bunch of kids, rather than late twenty somethings pretending to live out 98 again. They have way more energy in their performance on the original.
Also post-Tom Catch is still pretty good. Alone in the Crowd is still a pretty sick album

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I think I'm the only person that likes Permanent Revolution

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Fateo McMurray posted:

Wrong :colbert:

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I also enjoy it very much.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Permanent Revolution is okay.
Didn't they do faux-metal at one point? Or am I thinking of another band

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

:agreed:

And I feel like they did that weirdo metally stuff too, but can only think of like one example of it

When Pigs Cry fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 3, 2015

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Fateo McMurray posted:

I do too. I like most of post-Tomas Catch, just not as much as Keasbey Nights.

Spaced God posted:

I prefer Catch's Keasby to Streetlight's. The former sounds like it has real heart in it and really feels like it's just done by a bunch of kids, rather than late twenty somethings pretending to live out 98 again. They have way more energy in their performance on the original.
Also post-Tom Catch is still pretty good. Alone in the Crowd is still a pretty sick album

I haven't listened to it in forever, but I think there were only two songs on the Streetlight version that I liked as much/more than the Catch versions. I think they were Day In Day Out and On & On & On, but I honestly don't remember.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Streetlight's On & On & On is awesome and has the Pachelbel's Canon part

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Literally The Worst posted:

Streetlight's On & On & On is awesome and has the Pachelbel's Canon part

Isn't that in the Catch version too?
Also the only thing I give is the extra verse in Dear Sergio

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Spaced God posted:

Isn't that in the Catch version too?
Also the only thing I give is the extra verse in Dear Sergio

Nah I think the bridge is reworked for the Streetlight version

Aggyro
Aug 13, 2006

The future is unwritten.
Enough about Thomas. Since this is the Jeff thread it should go on record that he did a little mash up routine for the first half of this video: http://www.avclub.com/video/andrew-jackson-jihad-and-jeff-rosenstock-mash-16-u-218939 AJJ does the 2nd half, if that's the kind of thing you are into.

Aggyro fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 5, 2015

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

it is so the thing i am into it hurts

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Debut album from boston ska/punk Poor Jeremy. It's pretty rad
https://poorjeremy.bandcamp.com/album/it-could-always-be-worst

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Fateo McMurray posted:

I dig it. :thumbsup:

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Fateo McMurray posted:

Thanks for sharing, I'm really liking this.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Did anyone mention that Catch 22 is playing some shows in the northeast this summer? Because they are.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Wheat Loaf posted:

Probably shouldn't have specified American! It's more non-Jamaican/non-British ska that isn't just "punk/rock with horns".

Heh. I'm reminded of how, about three or four years ago, I found an old web page which had a 10-year old interview with the guy who played trumpet in Save Ferris (I liked the one album they did with "The World Is New" and "Come On Eileen" though I'm not sure whether I'd have called it ska), who, when asked how he got into the band, explains that one of the other guys in the band was a high school classmate who invited him to join a ska band, and when he asked, "What's ska?" he received the answer, "It's like rock with horns."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Uwh19ecCADeals Gone Bad?

No that's about not moving out of your hometown but wanting to, BtMI is the one with the song about how everyone else has their poo poo together and you don't.
BTMI's discography is me at 26. (AKA Now)

Scrambles is full of feels for me. Good Bye Cool World has some of my faves. Sorry Brooklyn is in my Top 5 if only for the noisy keyboard break halfway through the song.

I just got a new job (hopefully) and I just realized I'm going to have to ask for the night off again to go see Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish in June
The WiSKAnsin show lands on my off day so Motorcycle trip to Madison.

I'm going to have RBF and LTJ sign my bike.

EDIT: CONTRIBUTING JEFF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlrRmGqoMSg
Saddr Weirdr is my jam at the moment, having had to move and living below my ambitions.

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 30, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I like the singer's voice. There's a sort of Dave Prater or Levi Stubbs type quality to it.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like the singer's voice. There's a sort of Dave Prater or Levi Stubbs type quality to it.

White boy can belt.

They're cool dudes. Used to be in a couple local ska bands (2Tone Bandits/Boss Rude) and got to hang with them at Skappleton.

Definitely stand by the Westbound Train statement earlier too.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Monday_ posted:

Did anyone mention that Catch 22 is playing some shows in the northeast this summer? Because they are.

What year is it

(says the guy who goes to every Bosstones show he can)

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.

Fateo McMurray posted:

What year is it

(says the guy who goes to every Bosstones show he can)

Missing you in hockey threads. Too many Rags fans, it's gross.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Monday_ posted:

holy moly

i came to this thread just to post about re-discovering Keasby Nights the other day. still just as good as the first listen.

is the general consensus that the re-recording by streetlight manifesto is garbage? b/c i think it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

deadlyrhetoric posted:

is the general consensus that the re-recording by streetlight manifesto is garbage? b/c i think it is.

No but most people (me included) think post-Keasbey Catch 22 is pretty decent for what it is. Dinosaur Sounds had some good tracks, Permanent Revolution is overall not bad, and Alone In A Crowd is, at least to me, near-Keasbey levels of teenage memories.