Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the glow
May 31, 2009

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Where should I be headed after starting the grit gate quest in Qud? I remember vaguely that Golgotha is extremely dangerous and that I should visit other areas before attempting it. I'm a level 8 chimera warden if that makes a difference.

By 'the Grit Gate quest' do you mean the quest you get given to find Grit Gate, or the quest you receive from Grit Gate to go to Golgotha? Generally as soon as Argyve gives you the 'go to Grit Gate' quest, you can do it straight away if you feel like it. The overland journey doesn't take you through any really dangerous areas and you can let the friendly robots kill everything in the dungeon if you can't hold your own in combat.

If you mean the quest to get the droid from Golgotha, then that's best avoided for a while. One of the things I do inbetween early-game and Golgotha, if I have a decent ranged weapon, is wander out east and explore the river zones north of Kyakukya. The water contains madpoles which are worth 270XP each, so (depending on your level of tolerance for machine-gunning fish from the bank of a river) you can grind a great deal of experience by shooting them from a safe distance. Be very careful to stay at least a couple of tiles clear of madpoles as they can kill you in melee in one turn given the opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Farquar posted:

Yup. At first it will be slow and you'll make a lot of mistakes, but don't get frustrated. I learned it by playing Crawl Webtiles on the couch next to my toddler as she watched Sesame Street. Now I don't even notice that I'm not on a numpad anymore.

Bouchacha posted:

Nthing the recommendation that you learn HJKL (otherwise known as vi keys). It's perfectly laid out on the keyboard that you eventually end up 'typing' through the game in terms of speed and don't need to move your hands to play. It's like a giant controller!
There's another way to play quickly without noticing you're not on a numpad anymore: stick with the drat numpad. Seriously, a USB numpad is like $10, and however good vi keys are when you've learned them they're horribly painful until then. (I fought with them for a couple of hours trying to play roguelikes on a laptop before loving up a crucial move and deciding I valued my time at more than $5 per hour...)

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah, madpoles certainly can kill you in 2 shots. I found that out the fun way when I lost my bearings on a river and got pretty much immediately killed. I had a good run on that character though. I discovered my new favorite mutation, flaming hands, which is a ranged 3x3 aoe with like a 10 turn cooldown that adds an extra d6 of damage for each upgrade at the cost of no gloves, and also got a good idea of what my preferred build is.

What kind of builds do you guys run?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Marauder, high Strength and Constitution, Carapace+Regeneration+Night Vision+Fur, dismember everything and eat the pieces :getin:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I like (mostly) physical mutation-based evokers. Although you miss out on the free levels from Ego that you would get from going mental, they seem to have better per-level scaling, you can take stats that are good for regular combat and survival instead of going all-in on the mutations, and you can get a mix of mental and physical mutations if you want because you won't be buying new ones until endgame if ever.

I'm not a fan of ever using anything other than mutations as your main attack, because melee combat is too risky and non-mutant ranged attacks are crippled by the triple threat of miss chance, ammo consumption, and much lower damage.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

My best character by far, in terms of accomplishing stuff, was a classic laser rave esper. Time Fugue + Light Manipulation + Esper + Evil Clone, spend all your spare mutation points on extra mutations and hope you get stuff like Sunder Mind and Disintegrate.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Evil Twin, Temporal Fugue, and Light Manipulation interact utterly insanely and it's awesome. The lunacy gets even more absurd if you pick up Clairvoyance+Teleport, because then Evil Twin battles turn into map-spanning teleporting laser death raves.

the glow
May 31, 2009

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I'm a huge Qud racist and only ever play True Men, I don't know why but that's just how I roll. Mostly I play Artifex, Ego and Will as low as possible, Intelligence and Toughness high, remainder of stats to taste. Melt shale immediately for infinite money, buy out every shop forever, abuse Tinkering with limitless supply of bits and data disks for every tinkerable item ftw. It's super cheaty but I find it to be a lot of fun.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

the glow posted:

Melt shale immediately for infinite money

Care to explain?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Stingers and wings feel like noob traps because too many good things use your back slot. Like the flamethrower.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Also the wings just straight up don't work underground, which is where most of the stuff you care about is. They do let you pick on Equimaxen really early while flying up out of melee range though, so I guess you can quickly get some early levels.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I don't know about that. I take paralyzing stinger on almost every character I roll and it always puts in an insane amount of work. Having a basic melee stun is incredibly useful if your fighting in close quarters a lot. I haven't ever really missed the slot on my back, but then again, my runs usually end around grit gate so I haven't seen much of the higher end stuff.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I consider a flamethrower to be nearly required for Golgotha and Bethesda Susa. You can do them without one but it's a whole lot more work.

the glow
May 31, 2009

andrew smash posted:

Care to explain?

If you start as an Artifex you have a number of ways to luck into heat-generating gear - you can start with thermal grenades in your inventory, or with the data disk that lets you tinker them, or Argyve may be selling the disk. You have Tinker II right out the gate so you can learn the recipe immediately. (Other less probable possibilities: thermal grenades, disks, or flamethrower in Tam's shop).

So I roll a few Artifexes and once I get one that has access to thermal grenade II+, I buy enough bits to tinker two (your starting equipment is worth enough in trade to buy these bits), go a couple of cells north of Joppa and throw them at some shale. Collect the lava in a waterskin (careful, it's hot). One waterskin of lava even with rock-bottom Ego is worth like $5000 so you now effectively have unlimited money forever. Again, it's cheaty as you need to roll a few starts before getting one with the means to melt shale, but it's fun being the wasteland millionaire, and it turns Ego into a pure dump stat so you have more points to put in places that are actually important long-term. If you're morally opposed to rerolling starts I think there's maybe a mutation that lets you generate heat (?), so you could possibly also do it that way.

the glow fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 30, 2015

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Got a Qud bug report or two, both involving farms.

On a starapple farm, the two farmers that normally spawn also spawned alongside a starapple farmer's daughter. When you look at her you fall in love and her description is a Shakespearean looking wall of text about how beautiful she is . She must have really been something because you fall in love around a hundred times in an instant, giving you the "you have fallen in love with the starapple farmer's daughter" pop up message about 100 or so times. You have to spacebar out of it for each one. It also completely bottoms out your willpower and intelligence since you get lovestruck so many times.

Second bug is on pig farms. The pigs basically go hog wild as soon as the map tile loads, attacking each other or you or anything alive until only one remains. This seemed more like it was just unfinished though since they didn't have sprites yet.

edit:here's a couple of images detailing the first issue if anyone wants a chuckle

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 30, 2015

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So is there a way to remove lovesickness? The bug was amusing, but I don't really want to lose this character to it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

pumpinglemma posted:

There's another way to play quickly without noticing you're not on a numpad anymore: stick with the drat numpad. Seriously, a USB numpad is like $10, and however good vi keys are when you've learned them they're horribly painful until then. (I fought with them for a couple of hours trying to play roguelikes on a laptop before loving up a crucial move and deciding I valued my time at more than $5 per hour...)
Yeah for real. I struggled with HJKL for somewhere around a year, even going as far as taping little arrows on the keys to remind me which ones correspond to which directions, and I still never was able to play without constantly forgetting what was what or mistyping. That's why I rebound all the keys in Crawl, and why if a roguelike doesn't have rebindable keys so I can change it to something that makes sense to my brain, I'm probably just not going to play it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

So is there a way to remove lovesickness? The bug was amusing, but I don't really want to lose this character to it.

It goes away on its own after a long-rear end time.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

The pigs basically go hog wild

:golfclap:

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
So I don't know if anyone here is associated with the 7 day rogue like challenge but the official site seems to have been hacked.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CrazySalamander posted:

So I don't know if anyone here is associated with the 7 day rogue like challenge but the official site seems to have been hacked.

It looks fine to me...

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Not that one, the 7drl dot org.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Either that or one of the admins uploaded his content to the wrong website, and this should be moved into the shadenfreude thread

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It is a traditional thing for the 7DRL site like that to get spammy/hacked/etc---I don't know why, but it has been a consistency.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Unormal, Hand of Luke and myself are speaking today at the International Roguelike Developer Conference in Atlanta. Unormal is live currently, talking about Qud development. http://twitch.tv/irdc_usa

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I... had no idea there was a roguelike conference

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Really very interesting.

Keep in mind I have no programming experience and I will butcher the terminology.

I think I came in around mid Act 2 of I think Unormal's talk.

So if I understand this correctly, this object referencing hierarchy Unormal describes is a pretty powerful design tool.

So could you make an armor object that you can fill with blood that also references components of the salve object to heal yourself as per the salve object and it consumes one dram of blood in the process?

In a similar fashion could you make an armor object that you can fill with slime that copies the rubbergum effects?

And the take away is because of this object hierarchy you use, creating both novel objects would be a matter of mostly cut and paste?

I didn't quite catch it, but I believe you had a value for specific heat for the canteen. Did you model thermodynamics in Qud?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Is the audio for the current guy dying periodically for anyone else, or is it just my stream?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I'm not having any issues.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Welp :sigh: It's not a huge problem, but it sets my teeth on edge every time.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Helical Nightmares posted:

And the take away is because of this object hierarchy you use, creating both novel objects would be a matter of mostly cut and paste?

object oriented programming is good

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Pollyzoid posted:

Warp Rogue maybe? Seems very unfinished and development is dead, but at least it starts out in a hive city.

Almost all download links seem to be dead, but I found the sources: http://gentoo.cs.utah.edu/distfiles/wrogue-0.8.0b.zip

YES. This is it, thanks!

Phssthpok posted:

It's doable with a bookmarklet.

Toggle all timgs: $('.timg_container>.note').click()
Expand all timgs: $('.timg_container>.note:not(.expanded)').click()
Collapse all timgs: $('.timg_container>.note.expanded').click()

Use a bookmarklet generator like http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/bookmarklet.html to make one you can drag into your bookmarks bar.

Thanks for this as well.

Maelephant
Aug 12, 2006

"Yer know, a herd of maelephants might be jus' wot we needs."

madjackmcmad posted:

Unormal, Hand of Luke and myself are speaking today at the International Roguelike Developer Conference in Atlanta. Unormal is live currently, talking about Qud development. http://twitch.tv/irdc_usa

FYI, Hand of Luke is talking at 330 ET, followed by madjackmcmad at 400. Here's the full schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_xKrtNrqxTqf_qRjkulGpFejI6gUhJDEyyJU2084ENg/edit#gid=0

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
drat, looks like I missed Unormal and Hand of Luke. Made it just in time for madjack though. This is pretty cool!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I have no clue what the wisps in Ghostfen do on Normal, but they are destroying me on Savage right now :(

I managed to BS my way through the first two levels with them using luck/invisibility, but that doesn't seem to be working for me on this third level where the spiders spawn wisps next to me when they hit me. Guess I'll have to go back and repeat some areas to earn money to actually buy starting items for myself to start with (I've been just winning an area once and moving on, while spending all my gold on town upgrades so far :downs:).

the glow
May 31, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

So if I understand this correctly, this object referencing hierarchy Unormal describes is a pretty powerful design tool.

Yeah, this kind of flexibility is cool to see in action and is a natural outcome of good data-driven/OO design. I've been loving around writing my own roguelike for the last year or so and it's really satisfying getting a data-driven object system working because it makes content creation enjoyable rather than an ordeal.

Does Twitch archive all this stuff, like, indefinitely? I'm too busy to pay close attention at the moment and I'd like to watch some of these again later.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Floodkiller posted:

I have no clue what the wisps in Ghostfen do on Normal, but they are destroying me on Savage right now :(

I managed to BS my way through the first two levels with them using luck/invisibility, but that doesn't seem to be working for me on this third level where the spiders spawn wisps next to me when they hit me. Guess I'll have to go back and repeat some areas to earn money to actually buy starting items for myself to start with (I've been just winning an area once and moving on, while spending all my gold on town upgrades so far :downs:).

Wisps lifesteal something like 2 HP per turn while they're adjacent to enemies. They will do this to each other too! Area of effect attacks work well and will train you to deal with...other problems similar to this. :unsmigghh:

If you want a cheap power up buying the weapon that gives you a 4-6 pillar of flame on swing is your best bet.

Unormal, your Savage achievements don't all seem to be working. I ran through Ensi with all characters and it never popped, leaving me saddened.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

the glow posted:

Yeah, this kind of flexibility is cool to see in action and is a natural outcome of good data-driven/OO design. I've been loving around writing my own roguelike for the last year or so and it's really satisfying getting a data-driven object system working because it makes content creation enjoyable rather than an ordeal.

Does Twitch archive all this stuff, like, indefinitely? I'm too busy to pay close attention at the moment and I'd like to watch some of these again later.

Not indefinitely but they said it'll get uploaded somewhere. Someone probably knows more.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

atomicthumbs posted:

Anybody (two anybodies, actually) want to go in $20 on a Cogmind three-pack? We could get it for $20 instead of $30 that way.

quotin' myself here. anyone? I can make the initial purchase.

or maybe I should just do it and sell the codes in SA-mart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

omeg posted:

Not indefinitely but they said it'll get uploaded somewhere. Someone probably knows more.
One of the fellows running the camera is going to break the stream down into highlight vidoes, not sure when.

There's more tomorrow. http://irdc2015usa.tumblr.com/

Anyone got anything for the dude behind Barony? He's staying on the couch here tonight.