Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

dj_clawson posted:

I guess they couldn't put "not white, but not not white" on the casting notice.
white but interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Maybe they were looking for exotic dancers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, what a mess.

Would it be alright if they were looking for specific races, like putting it out that they're looking for Slavic people to play a specific role? Or is it just if you put it out that you're looking for "exotic" people bluntly like that?

Explain it to me like I'm a moron. :downs:

Exotic pretty much means not white white, not black, but preferably with at least a hint of far eastern flavor. It's a non-descriptive term that could get you anything from a white girl with dark hair and a tan to Bai Ling to Keisha Castle-Hughes. Which doesn't make that much sense when the description of Mediterranean would better describe a Greekish part to be cast.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
They should just say "swarthy" and own it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Boogaleeboo posted:

They should just say "swarthy" and own it.

I don't know. I did a GIS for swarthy and Amy Adams was on the first page.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Greeks, that is people that live in Greece, are pretty ethnically diverse as their region has been a center of commerce and trade for oh five thousand years or so. Pretty much anyone outside of probably a Norwegian caucasian could conceivably pass for greek. Oh and Jennifer Garner, she looks like zero percent Greek.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Exotic isn't even the word you use for Greek.

A lot of gross dudes in the 90s would like a word with you then I guess.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

surc posted:

Gross dudes in the 90s thought Jennifer Aniston was exotic, Zubaz pants were fashionable, and that the Clone Saga was pretty great. Let them lie buried under their mounds of Crystal Pepsi cans.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

surc posted:

Gross dudes would just assume Greek meant "does anal".

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I am not understanding these jokes. Are they funny? I can't tell.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

nelson posted:

I am not understanding these jokes. Are they funny? I can't tell.

Not as far as I can tell...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nelson posted:

I am not understanding these jokes

Oh well there's your problem.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look, I'm not a huge stickler for staying true to the comics but season 2 may be going too far
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkHtoYhQF48

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
You guys do know that the Elektra character is Greek, right? I'm not sure what's so awful or sexist or whatever about casting her that way.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Think what you want but I'm willing to bet you don't call people "exotic" in real life, because it's pretty weird.

Can someone confirm the existence of this casting call though? Following the links in this thread, the only time I saw that word is in the description of the video, which was just written by some random goof from comicbook.com.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 30, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

McNerd posted:

Think what you want but I'm willing to bet you don't call people "exotic" in real life, because it's pretty weird.

At a certain level, it's far more rude to just call them strippers though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McNerd posted:

Can someone confirm the existence of this casting call though? Following the links in this thread, the only time I saw that word is in the description of the video, which was just written by some random goof from comicbook.com.

That's how casting calls work man. When they were casting Jackie Robinson do you think they were like "oh just whoever show up".

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I bet the million white guys who auditioned for Luke Cage were really disappointed

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AnonSpore posted:

I bet the million white guys who auditioned for Luke Cage were really disappointed

Really want to see what Nick Cage wore to the audition.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Gyges posted:

Really want to see what Nick Cage wore to the audition.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nick Cage in drag as the loneliest lady in all of Themyscira.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Man, this show was fantastic. I wasn't sold on Kingpin at first but he knocked it out of the park by the end. I loved how the supporting cast all had complete charqcter arcs (except possibly Vanessa) of their own and weren't just there for flair. Nelson v Murdock was probably my favorite episode.

Any word on if we'll get some Heroes for Hire action in either the Luke Cage show or the Iron Fist one? Or possibly another mini-series? I hope the Luke Cage one is a lighter tone - wise than daredevil was, but I'll probably enjoy it regardless.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bendis posted this on tumblr yesterday. I don't remember Kristen Ritter looking so...weird.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Is there any chance they will use the avenger from the movie to tell her story?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

program666 posted:

Is there any chance they will use the avenger from the movie to tell her story?

Zero chance.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

All I can see when I look at that poster is "Render > Clouds"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Un-l337-Pork posted:

All I can see when I look at that poster is "Render > Clouds"

Yeah I can't believe that's a real poster. I looks like a bad fan photoshop. It probably is.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Nick Cage in drag as the loneliest lady in all of Themyscira.

You just had to do it, didn't you? You knew what would happen. This is all on you.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

"I'm like a method actor, in reverse."

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

TEAH SYAG posted:

"I'm like a method actor, in reverse."

Kheldarn posted:

You just had to do it, didn't you? You knew what would happen. This is all on you.

loving gently caress.

Sorry for the double post.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kheldarn posted:

The dirt on her chest looked like chest hair out of the corner of my eye. Why not add some for maximum horror?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I only just started the show today, and I'm currently marathoning the hell out of it. I don't know if the spoiler rules are still in effect or not because I'm afraid of ruining the show for myself but anyways.

1x05
Holy poo poo, between his brutal loving burns on the opposing lawyer chick and his general character up until now, I really like Foggy. Which I find weird because I hate him in the comics I've read, so this is a strange and pleasant change. Fisk being the gooniest guy is amazing. :allears:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

zoux posted:

Bendis posted this on tumblr yesterday. I don't remember Kristen Ritter looking so...weird.

She has a really long neck and the darkness of the leather jacket and the background contrasted against her paleness really accentuates it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's kind of weird looking for Hollywood, you probably just never noticed it before.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Snak posted:

Yeah I can't believe that's a real poster. I looks like a bad fan photoshop. It probably is.
Yeah they got that from a set photo and decided to change the background. Pretty lazy imo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd have assumed it was a fan poster, but Bendis was the one that posted it.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So I only just started the show today, and I'm currently marathoning the hell out of it. I don't know if the spoiler rules are still in effect or not because I'm afraid of ruining the show for myself but anyways.

1x05
Holy poo poo, between his brutal loving burns on the opposing lawyer chick and his general character up until now, I really like Foggy. Which I find weird because I hate him in the comics I've read, so this is a strange and pleasant change. Fisk being the gooniest guy is amazing. :allears:

You'll like him even more as the show goes on. They did more justice to his character than 50 years of comics.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Snak posted:

I had a roommate who used to make movie posters, DVD covers, etc.. She originally went into it with the idea that it would be a way to make money while expressing herself artistically while making some money. Then it turns out most posters are done by the lowest bidder, with everything decided by studio executives, as well as the stars of the movies.

The person actually putting together the poster is usually just a sub-sub-contractor who's probably just some kid who is pretty good with Photoshop, and who has zero input on the poster design. So as a result, the artists that actually make the posters have an attitude that if it's good enough that the people paying them don't complain, then why work any harder than needed to get paid.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

thrakkorzog posted:

I had a roommate who used to make movie posters, DVD covers, etc.. She originally went into it with the idea that it would be a way to make money while expressing herself artistically while making some money. Then it turns out most posters are done by the lowest bidder, with everything decided by studio executives, as well as the stars of the movies.

The person actually putting together the poster is usually just a sub-sub-contractor who's probably just some kid who is pretty good with Photoshop, and who has zero input on the poster design. So as a result, the artists that actually make the posters have an attitude that if it's good enough that the people paying them don't complain, then why work any harder than needed to get paid.

I mean, I understand all of that, and the logic of the reality of it... but there are still sometimes great posters and marketing work, so is that just sheer luck, or is a result of budgeting more money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Snak posted:

I mean, I understand all of that, and the logic of the reality of it... but there are still sometimes great posters and marketing work, so is that just sheer luck, or is a result of budgeting more money?

If they find someone enthusiastic enough they can get great quality for low pay.