Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Aaaah, I thought the safe speed was "you're more likely to lose control" unsafe not "you're gunning the engine into the redline" unsafe. :v:

Yeah, I thought that for a long time too, until what happened to you happened to me. I was intentionally loving around trying to see what happened if I pushed the engine as hard as I could, but not paying attention to how much distance I was covering. I wound up far enough away from my base that I decided gently caress it and just started working a new vehicle instead of trying to salvage it.

EDIT: Touch the crystal Galaxian. You know you want to.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

girth brooks part 2 posted:

EDIT: Touch the crystal Galaxian. You know you want to.

Nope! :colbert:

Some "Hunting Horror" appeared near me while I was working outside my shelter. Disappeared when I drew my trusty sawn off. I immediately hoped on my Trike, drove a half-hour+ away and tossed the crystal. Marked the spot on my map just in case for later, but for now, gently caress that.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I just got a zombie brute right on the path between the evac shelter I spawned in and the only town. I somehow managed to kill him on day one by rollerblading circles around him and throwing sharpened sticks :toot:.

Then I walked further into town and found some kind of electric zombie that paralyzed me for a billion turns. I decided "gently caress that" and backed way out of vision at rollerblade speed. One I was far enough away I tried circling around and coming at the town from another angle, through a field. But rollerblades don't work in fields, and I hadn't realized that It had started snowing and my speed had dropped to half from extreme cold. So a single zombie dog in the middle of the field chased me all the way to the next building, constantly attacking from its speed advantage, and I died in the doorway.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Congratulations! You found a random artifact. They can do a bunch of unique poo poo, including some really beneficial things (being able to see through walls, for one), but because this game is designed by a committee who sees pointless mean-spiritedness as "gritty" and "realistic" (see: loving bloodworms and other parasites), there's an equal chance that it'll give you a lethal dose of radiation or summon angry rats to eat your bones while performing its effect.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
drat, the last time i played this game it didn't have these cool-rear end tiles. let's see how far i can get with a baseball bat and a couple of bushes to lure poo poo into.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Luceid posted:

drat, the last time i played this game it didn't have these cool-rear end tiles. let's see how far i can get with a baseball bat and a couple of bushes to lure poo poo into.

I'm a fan of Chesthole myself.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm trying to stay away from the cities, living of the land, and all that jazz, until I can get my crazy survivalist with DIY gear rolling. Two main problems with this: Water, because 'a'plying a funnel and dropping a water container in the same tile doesn't seem to work. And arrows. I'm using Field Point Arrows and a self bow, and with luck I can kill a zombie with 20 arrows or so.

Any advice on how to find water/make a funnel work? And how should I progress with Archery?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Not sure about the funnels, but unless you're really wanting to do archery, it'd be much easier to just brain all the zombies with a cudgel. Just take a few whacks then step back before they can strike back.

Also, I finally finished it, now I can sleep....

No doubt I will get myself stupidly killed behind its wheel tomorrow.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

And how should I progress with Archery?

You need a book to do decent archery.
In the meantime, see if you can find a car on a road somewhere, far from the city. Smash it to pieces for metal so you can make arrowheads.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Fat Samurai posted:

Any advice on how to find water/make a funnel work? And how should I progress with Archery?

For the funnel, the two possibilities are that you either have to apply the funnel/drop the water container in a different order or that you aren't loving off somewhere else while it fills. If you are walking away from the gallon jugs while they fill and have tried both putting the container down first before applying the funnel and the reverse then I dunno.

Archery without books is bad. You can theoretically do it with a slingshot or blowgun but it will not be a fun time.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Archery without books is bad. You can theoretically do it with a slingshot or blowgun but it will not be a fun time.

Grinding the skill is trivial (if you're willing to duck into a house briefly for a rubber tube). But the decent bows are only in books.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm trying to stay away from the cities, living of the land, and all that jazz, until I can get my crazy survivalist with DIY gear rolling. Two main problems with this: Water, because 'a'plying a funnel and dropping a water container in the same tile doesn't seem to work. And arrows. I'm using Field Point Arrows and a self bow, and with luck I can kill a zombie with 20 arrows or so.

Funneling water takes a while and also doesn't work on everything with a listed volume. You can't fill tin/aluminum cans, for instance.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Some "Hunting Horror" appeared near me while I was working outside my shelter. Disappeared when I drew my trusty sawn off. I immediately hoped on my Trike, drove a half-hour+ away and tossed the crystal. Marked the spot on my map just in case for later, but for now, gently caress that.
It was almost certainly a hallucination. That's another effect that can happen, normally from...what is it, schizophrenia? Something like that. One of the starting negative traits.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Are you using makeshift funnels? Because those are terrible. Each makeshift funnel will supply a single drink of water in a three hour rainstorm, if you're lucky. On the other hand, if you looted a real funnel it could make solid progress on filling up a jerrycan in a half hour drizzle.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

TheBlandName posted:

Are you using makeshift funnels? Because those are terrible. Each makeshift funnel will supply a single drink of water in a three hour rainstorm, if you're lucky. On the other hand, if you looted a real funnel it could make solid progress on filling up a jerrycan in a half hour drizzle.

Nah, it was a leather funnel and a plastic gallon jug, didn't fill a bit in about 5 hours of a rainstorm. Do I apply the funnel and then drop the container, the other way around, or do I have to do something specific with the container?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Fat Samurai posted:

Nah, it was a leather funnel and a plastic gallon jug, didn't fill a bit in about 5 hours of a rainstorm. Do I apply the funnel and then drop the container, the other way around, or do I have to do something specific with the container?

I've just dropped them directly on top of them. I can just leave the funnel sitting and pick up/drop multiple containers over a long duration, so order doesn't matter.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'll experiment some more. Thanks for the answers, guys.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm pretty sure it works whichever order you set it up in. Applying the funnel creates a trap that searches for a valid container beneath it and fills it when it rains. You can definitely swap containers without reapplying the funnel.

I did a little bit of code diving to figure out what was happening. Unfortunately, leather funnels have the same radius as makeshift funnels. Leather funnels have a 85 mm radius compared to 380 mm for a real funnel. Which means that leather funnels collect water at 5% of the speed of real funnels. If you want to change the value, it's found in the Cataclysm\data\json\traps.json file. You can edit it with a simple text editor. Personally, I wouldn't feel bad increasing the effectiveness of a leather funnel because they require more infrastructure than a makeshift funnel.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The first house I entered after creating a new character.

Too bad I'm going to die before I read any of these.

e: And then the second house I broke into had a basement full of guns!

e2: And then I died because I tried to manfight a skeleton. I couldn't hit him with bullets because he was a skeleton and I couldn't hit him with melee because I was encumbered to poo poo by a makeshift sling full of guns.

Does the "play now" button intentionally give you terrible characters? The first time I hit it I got a schizophrenic hobo, and now I'm an illiterate crackhead.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 31, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I seen a thing:

And yes they started out on top of the car.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I seen a thing:

Kill the thriller, trust me it's fun. You'll probably need to start a fire and lure the thriller into it because dancer zombies are almost completely invulnerable.

Anticheese posted:

Congratulations! You found a random artifact. They can do a bunch of unique poo poo, including some really beneficial things (being able to see through walls, for one), but because this game is designed by a committee who sees pointless mean-spiritedness as "gritty" and "realistic" (see: loving bloodworms and other parasites), there's an equal chance that it'll give you a lethal dose of radiation or summon angry rats to eat your bones while performing its effect.

The negative affects of an artifact are mostly directly proportionate to the strength of their useful power. A small heal or a permanent light source can come free of charge but a teleporter stick is going to cost you dearly.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

I seen a thing:

That's beautiful.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

CheeseThief posted:

The negative affects of an artifact are mostly directly proportionate to the strength of their useful power. A small heal or a permanent light source can come free of charge but a teleporter stick is going to cost you dearly.

As someone who tends to play with a 'one free (useful) artifact' home-rule (yeah, yeah, I'm a filthy cheater, it's still fun for me, so I do it), there's indeed plenty of artifacts that are worth it.
Some of them take a bit of testing to find the 'real' benefit for, though.
For example, one of my more successful characters (that got killed because I missed the memo on how 'good armor doesn't make you bulletproof anymore') had one that I had been using for essentially-infinite trees and/or brushes (the character became a carnivore at some point, because this is Cataclysm and of course the guy with infinite vegetables becomes a carnivore, but I just mixed it with fish and somehow that made the soup edible, and far more nutritious than just fish)
But the real use, was that it destroyed a bunch of terrain to make the brush/trees, even terrain that is normally indestructable - heck, it replaced it with farmeable dirt, even - so it made getting through the labs much easier.

But I find that if I make, say, 4 artifacts, 1 will be what I consider a cursed item (basically anything that I can't justify keeping - the Cataclysm version of 'the one ring', as a probably-not-in-the-game example; Invisibility-on-wearing is not worth the insanity and the wrath of Sauron), 2 will be mediocre-to-bad (maybe it boosts a stat I don't need, but hurts one I do. Maybe it's a flashlight that gives me headaches. Whatever), and only 1 will do something useful.
Point being, yeah, artifacts aren't always that great - though if I wasn't using these particular rules, I'd probably keep most of the 'mediocre' ones, they just wouldn't change my playstyle in any way.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

CheeseThief posted:

Kill the thriller, trust me it's fun. You'll probably need to start a fire and lure the thriller into it because dancer zombies are almost completely invulnerable.

:stare:

I got thrilled.
On the last one too, so it hurt extra good

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

The scenario costs are weird. Sheltered is +3 points and moving from the standard profession to a normal survivor gives more points, and the only drawback I can see is starting in winter and having no permanent light in your shelter. Which, admittedly, is a pain.

Related to that, I got my first mutation, High Night Vision. Time to turn my schedule on its head and spend the day sleeping and the night foraging.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

The scenario costs are weird. Sheltered is +3 points and moving from the standard profession to a normal survivor gives more points, and the only drawback I can see is starting in winter and having no permanent light in your shelter. Which, admittedly, is a pain.

The zombies will be much more dangerous than in a normal start, having 9 months of evolution under their belt already.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
And all the perishables are long gone. You need to get started on cooking up oatmeal/beans/rice/noodles as well as clean water much earlier if you're trying to feed yourself off looting.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

A lot of the perishable food you'd normally find is rotted away by that time too, assuming you can even find a town near your LMAO shelter, so in theory it's harder. In practice you can walk out the door and throw stones at rats, but whatevs.

The LMAO has a permanent water supply and a wood stove too, and all the materials to make almost anything you'd need. Except leather, that can be a bitch to get hold of if you're not near a settlement or a source of salt water.

edit: beaten while typing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, zombies evolve? I thought they were born that way, and usually die too fast to notice the difference in enemy composition.

Do zombie kiddies grow up into bloated abominations? :3:

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
I'm thinking of restarting with the latest experimental build. What are the biggest differences between that and 0.C?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I think someone mentioned foraging has been reworked a little, especially with regard to acorns. It's still pretty workable for long-term survival, but I think acorns aren't quite as common anymore and you can't get them off trees.

Personally I like sticking to the stables because the experimentals often tend to introduce weird bugs that crop up at the most inconvenient times, and it's never 100% certain if a transferred save will work.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tyrone Biggums posted:

I'm thinking of restarting with the latest experimental build. What are the biggest differences between that and 0.C?

They removed all the armour except cat ears and wolf suits, and all weapons now have a "vibrate" function.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

They removed all the armour except cat ears and wolf suits, and all weapons now have a "vibrate" function.

"Why is my landmine vibrating?"

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
So, I don't know if I'm playing the same branches as everybody else, but have you all noticed that ALL zombies attempt to grab you now? I've been trying to do the 'low strength high dex/per gun bunny on rollerskates' thing which I had some success with in the past, and I'm noticing that bog standard zeds are much more of a threat than they used to be, whereas skeletons are downright nightmarish. On the bright side, so far as I can tell, skeletal/zombie dogs don't grab, so they've been effectively nerfed by comparison even if they will still maul your rear end normally.

Part of my problem is I simply can't make myself do the "camp out in the woods and carefully prepare and explore at night" thing. To facilitate my free-wheeling playstyle I've went ahead and turned zombie revivification off, which I consider no more a 'cheat' than turning skill rust off. I've died several times due to loading down with guns and ammo and neglecting to bring a decent melee weapon to deal with smokers and skeletons. The other part of my problem is that I can't stand to see all of that lovely milk, yogurt and fresh fruit go to waste, and I try to gather and consume as much of it as I can in the first week. Which means that I almost never survive that first week.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I just ran over a T-Rex.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Liberal_L33t posted:

So, I don't know if I'm playing the same branches as everybody else, but have you all noticed that ALL zombies attempt to grab you now? I've been trying to do the 'low strength high dex/per gun bunny on rollerskates' thing which I had some success with in the past, and I'm noticing that bog standard zeds are much more of a threat than they used to be, whereas skeletons are downright nightmarish. On the bright side, so far as I can tell, skeletal/zombie dogs don't grab, so they've been effectively nerfed by comparison even if they will still maul your rear end normally.

Part of my problem is I simply can't make myself do the "camp out in the woods and carefully prepare and explore at night" thing. To facilitate my free-wheeling playstyle I've went ahead and turned zombie revivification off, which I consider no more a 'cheat' than turning skill rust off. I've died several times due to loading down with guns and ammo and neglecting to bring a decent melee weapon to deal with smokers and skeletons. The other part of my problem is that I can't stand to see all of that lovely milk, yogurt and fresh fruit go to waste, and I try to gather and consume as much of it as I can in the first week. Which means that I almost never survive that first week.

Yeah, I noticed some contributor being all happy about fixing the unique attack of grabber zombies (good) and then giving it to literally every zombie (bad). It's because it's too OP to outrun every type of zombie even after you've taken some mild pain. Even though probably the biggest problem with the pain system pre-running was that it meant you had to flawlessly kill every zombie or else you'd no longer be able to run from anything.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Run? Is there a sprint button or something?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Run? Is there a sprint button or something?

I think it's only in the experimentals, but " switches between running and walking.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

ro5s posted:

I think it's only in the experimentals, but " switches between running and walking.

I may be misremembering, but I feel like it used to exist way back in the pre-DDA days too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

aerion111 posted:

I may be misremembering, but I feel like it used to exist way back in the pre-DDA days too.

Perhaps in extremely early pre-windows builds, but definitely not after.