Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

No it was the one where Doc Ock steals Spiderman's body I think.

That seems like an overreaction. Unless he was stealing it from the morgue to have sex with it, maybe. Then an executive order seems more reasonable. Comics getting dark these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
both of you idiots check your twitters and then shut up about each other forever

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shut the gently caress up Occ.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Gladney posted:

That seems like an overreaction. Unless he was stealing it from the morgue to have sex with it, maybe. Then an executive order seems more reasonable. Comics getting dark these days.
Doc Ock swapped bodies with Peter and attempted to use it to commit rape by fraud without it really being called rape by fraud, which I felt was something that shouldn't have happened in a Spider-Man comic. Coincidentally, the President tweeted a picture of himself playing with a kid dressed like Spider-Man in the Oval Office when that story happened. Perhaps I would not have facetiously tweeted him demanding that he do something about it if I had known that it would still somehow be remembered.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only spider-man team-ups we should be talking about here involve Easy Reader.

Spider-Man

Where are you coming from?

Spider-Man

Nobody knows who you are.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The thread was talking about Young Justice earlier, and that show was really good, but Spectacular Spider-Man was an even better show by Greg Wiesman that got cancelled far before its time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He used a lot of those goofy-rear end early 60s gangster characters really well. Too bad he plans all his shows like they're soap-opera length instead of one-season wonders with a surprise renewal mixed in here and there. His gargoyles plan was like phonebook-thick.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's amazing that Greg Weisman's been doing TV action cartoons for over 20 years now, yet he still has NO loving IDEA how television production works. His reach far, FAR exceeds his grasp CONSTANTLY, in terms of longevity and spinoffs and poo poo, and it's infuriating for everyone who has to deal with the aborted plot threads and broken promises.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DoctorWhat posted:

It's amazing that Greg Weisman's been doing TV action cartoons for over 20 years now, yet he still has NO loving IDEA how television production works. His reach far, FAR exceeds his grasp CONSTANTLY, in terms of longevity and spinoffs and poo poo, and it's infuriating for everyone who has to deal with the aborted plot threads and broken promises.

he's the American equivalent to Go Nagai in that respect(or maybe Yasuhiro Imagawa)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

you've lost me

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

DoctorWhat posted:

The worst part of all that is that he won't even answer questions like "What did you have planned for the third season of Young Justice?" because ~spoilers!~

Like jerkass answer our questions, the show is never getting another season or comic or movie, stop loving blueballing your loyal fans. It's not our fault you set us up for an Earth supervillain/Apokalips teamup and then failed to deliver.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

The worst part of all that is that he won't even answer questions like "What did you have planned for the third season of Young Justice?" because ~spoilers!~

Like jerkass answer our questions, the show is never getting another season or comic or movie, stop loving blueballing your loyal fans. It's not our fault you set us up for an Earth supervillain/Apokalips teamup and then failed to deliver.
The reason he gives for Spectacular Spider-Man is a lot more palatable, namely that the writing on that show was a collaborative process and he doesn't want to say what his ideas were as though they're absolutely what would have happened.
Also as much as it sucks leaving the show on a cliffhanger, there was no loving way Greg could have been able to forsee Disney buying Marvel and Sony losing the television rights.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Also as much as it sucks leaving the show on a cliffhanger, there was no loving way Greg could have been able to forsee Disney buying Marvel and Sony losing the television rights.

Wow, that's hilariously bad luck.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
While we're in superhero cartoon talks, just saw the ending to Ultimate Spider-man... it was actually pretty nice. Four parter where The Collector and his bro The Grand Master go all "battleworld fight!!" on NYC (minus the battleworlding, just a few weather changes here and there) and Collector's pretty low on self-esteem against his brother but Spider-man gets some real good hits in all-around to show he's an inspiration, does amazingly in solo against impossible odds and a good strategist/scientist. I still can't believe it contains the only, albeit extremely short reaction of FlashVenom learning Peter is Spidey you'd think a comic would've dealt with that by now, but nah.

Pretty nice stuff with a character in particular that makes this pretty perfect to end the show on, and there's pretty much 0 SHIELD stuff and only, like, one 4th wall moment outside of the first bits in these episodes where he recaps the situation. Also only two monkey sounds. Had a great time watching, first episode in particular has some stellar fight sequences with Spidey Vs Kraven, Molten Man & Wendigo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

ending to Ultimate Spider-man

Whoa what? An ending? IS OUR LONG NATIONAL NIGHTMARE OVER?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I won't miss the show, but is Disney still doing their weird 65 episode maximum for animated series?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm still glad a show like TTG exists. Even the original show didn't take itself seriously half the time. Do people have any solid numbers in terms of ratings?

IRQ posted:

The only ones still alive that I can remember are Katara and Toph (maybe a barely mentioned Zuko, but him and Aang were bffs) and they are basically the same characters just way older and not really important.

The shows problem isn't unlikable characters at all. It's tragically poor writing and story planning. Nothing makes sense and the plot veers off in the dumbest possible ways that aren't set up at all at the end of each season arc.

DoctorWhat posted:

Aang turned out to have been a pretty crummy dad. Not abusive or anything but he played hella favorites with his kids.

Toph wasn't the best mom for her kids either.

Zuko actually shows up later and is great.

The main problem with the show was the writing. It did shine in certain places, but it was mostly outdone by lovely material and writing. It had good characters like a colorful and vibrant universe and interesting characters (excluding Bolin), but didn't know quite what to do with them some times. It had the most interesting villians in the ATLA universe, but just dealt with them in questionable ways until they actually tried in S4.

Character interactions, especially the old gang and non-new gaang characters ended up being more interesting than the actual plot. Even Korra managed to evolve a bit, but even then it felt rushed in S4.

Maybe they'll learn from their mistakes and make a pretty anime show like ATLA again.

drrockso20 posted:

he's the American equivalent to Go Nagai in that respect

Well, he did make Violence Jack and Devilman. and he made Devil lady.

and then he got bored and made Mazinger.

He also wondered why people didn't gravitate to two extremely violent works and instead bought his giant robot fanservice works.

I don't think Weisman is quiet at that level yet.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Speaking of Ending, I wouldn't put any bets on Sonic Boom's life expectancy. Archie are set to conclude the comic with Issue 11 which would be the last Boom issue to cover the crisis event between their Sega/Capcom franchises and given Sega gave Archie free reign on Sonic X for quite a while after even Season 3 they must be planing to 86 Boom and it's properties pretty drat hard.

Of course this would suit CN fine, I'm sure.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 1, 2015

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Speaking of Ending, I wouldn't put any bets on Sonic Boom's life expectancy. Archie are set to conclude the comic with Issue 11 which would be the last Boom issue to cover the crisis event between their Sega/Capcom franchises and given Sega gave Archie free reign on Sonic X for quite a while after even Season 3 they must be planing to 86 Boom and it's properties pretty drat hard.

Of course this would suit CN fine, I'm sure.
The comics barely sold over 10k after the first few issues and it prolly didn't help that with boom, there were 3 sonic comics being made at the same time. It's for the best since while it was alright, it was very hit or miss. The show seems to be doing OK since it just launched in the UK the other day and is getting reruns on weekdays (though I dunno how long that'll last with summer on the way)

Plus the show still has half of its episodes left to air since they're on hiatus for the summer for some reason, so it'll be around till the end of the year at least. Still no idea if it'll get more episodes after that though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, I saw that Sonic Boom was to air in the UK. Though with it on Boomerang (that is to say, not CN) where they made a right hash of airing MLP of all things I can't see it lasting long there and it'll only be a matter of time before it's a Kix / Pop fixture.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sonic Boom wasn't amazing but it wasn't terrible either (honestly it was like in the top tier of cartoons based on games) so it was kind of sad to see it DOA.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, Sonic Boom's comic ending is likely more due to low comic sales, which is specially understandable since you got three Sonic on-goings anyway. The cartoon is fine, I watch it every now and then though it could be wackier.

TwoPair posted:

Whoa what? An ending? IS OUR LONG NATIONAL NIGHTMARE OVER?

Argue posted:

I won't miss the show, but is Disney still doing their weird 65 episode maximum for animated series?

Yup, it's pretty over and as far as cartoons go that ending was pretty final. Three 26 episode seasons are pretty good, so idk if it's just a max number thing or-

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/ultimate-spider-man-and-avengers-renewed-on-disney-xd-with-new-titles
Oh, hey, Disney has blown our expectations and given the show more than three seasons. Hurrah. Well, season three ascended to be pretty meh to okay with some good episodes, so another season with Steven Wacker doing damage control might have good stuff. The status quo being Aunt May, Flash and Amadeus Cho know Peter's identity could lead to some good stuff, and Miles and Scarlet Spider will join the cast, so... somewhat sorta hopeful.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yup, it's pretty over and as far as cartoons go that ending was pretty final. Three 26 episode seasons are pretty good, so idk if it's just a max number thing or-

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/ultimate-spider-man-and-avengers-renewed-on-disney-xd-with-new-titles
Oh, hey, Disney has blown our expectations and given the show more than three seasons. Hurrah. Well, season three ascended to be pretty meh to okay with some good episodes, so another season with Steven Wacker doing damage control might have good stuff. The status quo being Aunt May, Flash and Amadeus Cho know Peter's identity could lead to some good stuff, and Miles and Scarlet Spider will join the cast, so... somewhat sorta hopeful.

Scarlet Spider? Uuuuuuuuugh.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Wait, is this the Scarlet Spider pre-Yost's recent run or no? Cause if not, I might actually watch.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Wait, is this the Scarlet Spider pre-Yost's recent run or no? Cause if not, I might actually watch.

All we know is that "[Spider-man] teams up with a special new team of Spiders, including Miles Morales, Agent Venom, Iron Spider and the mysterious new Scarlet Spider."

I think they had an episode where Osborn cloned Peter and the symbiote together and the clone became Carnage somehow, so... hoping that clone somehow survived, became basically Kaine and comes back to NYC because he met Hummingbird and she forced him to say sorry to Peter.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh. Oh Good.

:sigh:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I gotta say, after going back and rewatching some of the original Teen Titans, it makes the various criticisms levelled at TTG even more stupid. By far the worst parts of it (at least of season one) was when the show tried to be serious, and the Slade 'plot' if you want to call it that is loving embarrassingly 90s for a 2000s cartoon. TTG just skips the melodrama and recognises that when you stick five teenagers with superpowers in a building dumb things are going to happen.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And then somehow fails spectacularly to make that fumy.

I get the part where TT was overly melodramatic (Was any action cartoon from around that point not, to some degree or another?) but that's a brilliant base for comedy and instead what we have is Purple Monkey Dishwasher (Or as the show puts it; Waffles Waffles Waffles) Humour that might could have any five teenagers with superpowers being superdicks (and, not really that in TTG) and call it a day (Hell I think some of the generic CanCon crap that floats on CBBC is exactly that).

My quarter isn't with what is having it's poo poo pushed in, I liked the original to be sure but even I can see where it could be stood to be slapped around, it's how its poo poo is getting pushed in that I have issues with.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 2, 2015

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
For me, TTGo is something I watch sparingly. I can handle one or two episodes at a time but more than that kind of grates on me a little. That said, for the duration of those one or two episodes I'm usually laughing my rear end off.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ConanThe3rd posted:

And then somehow fails spectacularly to make that fumy.

I get the part where TT was overly melodramatic (Was any action cartoon from around that point not, to some degree or another?) but that's a brilliant base for comedy and instead what we have is Purple Monkey Dishwasher (Or as the show puts it; Waffles Waffles Waffles) Humour that might could have any five teenagers with superpowers being superdicks (and, not really that in TTG) and call it a day (Hell I think some of the generic CanCon crap that floats on CBBC is exactly that).

My quarter isn't with what is having it's poo poo pushed in, I liked the original to be sure but even I can see where it could be stood to be slapped around, it's how its poo poo is getting pushed in that I have issues with.

what the f*ck am I reading here

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Teen Titans Go is great and Teen Titans sucked

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

frank.club posted:

what the f*ck am I reading here

A midlife crisis

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Teen Titans Go is great and Teen Titans sucked

Well you're about half right.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I believe the vast majority of Conan's points boil down to "I don't find this show funny" which is fair enough but also isn't the damning criticism of the show he seems to think it is.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Yeah, if TTG was funny on a more regular basis I would not be half as salty about it as I am.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ungulateman posted:

I gotta say, after going back and rewatching some of the original Teen Titans, it makes the various criticisms levelled at TTG even more stupid. By far the worst parts of it (at least of season one) was when the show tried to be serious, and the Slade 'plot' if you want to call it that is loving embarrassingly 90s for a 2000s cartoon. TTG just skips the melodrama and recognises that when you stick five teenagers with superpowers in a building dumb things are going to happen.

The Slade plotline holds a special place in my heart because "Slade is actually Batman" was my first exposure to batshit internet theories about TV shows. And that flash animation where they took the audio of the episode where he chases Raven down and beats her up and made it into a sex acene was the first time I became aware of how gross fans could be :sigh:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
In interesting news, Densu USA and Man of Action are teaming up to do a Megaman animated series (the fourth one by my count) with a target date of 2017 (In time for Megaman's 30th anniversary).

As long as it doesn't devolve into Power Rangers by the second season like NT Warrior did, I'm game.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 2, 2015

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I'd watched it a lot as a kid and remember Slade getting his mask knocked off in some, like, season 3 or 4 angst episode where some Satan-type character is taking over, and then it's just a skull beneath it since Slade is undead at that point. By then I just kind of got pissed off and decided I didn't give a poo poo anymore about who he really was since it was clear the writers either didn't know either or were going to stretch it out from here to eternity.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The problem is that Slade was an already established DC Character (with the, at the time anyway, Kiddie unfriendly moniker of "Deathstroke the Terminator") who was an indestructible (healing factor) assassin for hire (so why he was the Teen Titan's arch villan of choice is utterly beyond me).

He's also the genesis of Deadpool (being to him what Howard the Duck was to the Underground Comix movement of the 60's) so you can levy that against him if that's what side of the fence you are on for Deadpool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

As someone who has barely read any cape comics, I can safely say that I thought Slade was cool. Still do, kind of, but it's been a while since I watched TT, so maybe it's stupider than I remember.