Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'd like to see all the castaways live on one beach from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'd like to see all the castaways live on one beach from the beginning.

It's a shame the one season they did that way turned out poorly, because it's a good concept. They just shouldn't do both that and a gender split. It made things...uncomfortable.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Did we ever have a situation where they increased the number of tribes through a switch up? Seeing how well the 3 tribes format works* and that they are going to start with 20, I believe there is a good chance that they eliminate 2 people and then go to 3 tribes.

*mostly due to the fact that you can't establish a game winning 5/6 person alliance that is stable throughout the game in most cases.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Spatula City posted:

It's a shame the one season they did that way turned out poorly, because it's a good concept. They just shouldn't do both that and a gender split. It made things...uncomfortable.

I think that the gender split was done because it was the easiest way for the viewers to keep track of who was on which tribe.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Shane said he thought s31 would be 20 (2t) - 18 (3t) - merge.

Philippines was fun where matsing was absorbed, but I think having a shuffle and absorption would have been more fun.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

nuvan posted:

Now that we're in the off-season...

I'm sure it gets talked about a bunch, but how do people think a season would go if they started the season merged?

Instead of tribes winning immunity, have immunity challenges split everyone into 2 or 3 equally-sized teams either by random selection or schoolyard pick, and have the winning team (or 2?) get immunity, similar to how some reward challenges work post-merge right now.

This would mean that everyone gets to conspire with everyone else right from day 1, and the question of who's safe at the next tribal council is even more up in the air, since just because the red team wins two immunity challenges in a row doesn't mean it's the same people.

One thing I'm still undecided on is whether the 1 or 2 people sitting out any given challenge should be given immunity or not. Right now, I'd think that if it was a random drawing then no, but if it was a schoolyard pick then yes.

What variations do people here think could make for an interesting change to the fundamental gameplay?
To be honest, I think it'd be kinda lovely. It'd be hard for viewers to keep track of everyone. There'd be enough outcasts that there'd always be an easy target without immunity at the beginning, and in the process of booting those people, you'd get some big alliance forming, and even people not in that alliance would vote with it because if you stick your head out you'd be the next mole to get whacked. Even if the challenge teams kept shuffling you'd never have every person outside the alliance win immunity.

What they did on One World actually seems better to me. Two permanent tribes on the same camp, so you can talk to the enemy and make future alliances, but so that doing so would also be very risky since your own tribe might vote you out. That's a concept that I think could work better. In OW I think it was only like that for a few days though and then they moved to separate camps.

James315
Dec 17, 2006

315 [Mp 40] everyone

Tide posted:

Seems to me the best physical training regimen would be:
1) Constance balance training
2) Endurance (swimming, running)
3) Forearm, hand and calf strengthening
4) Lots and lots of yoga and pilates
1. Puzzles

nuvan posted:

Now that we're in the off-season...

I'm sure it gets talked about a bunch, but how do people think a season would go if they started the season merged?

What variations do people here think could make for an interesting change to the fundamental gameplay?
They could just use the Big Brother challenge/voting system, which was designed to avoid Pagongings.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

James315 posted:

They could just use the Big Brother challenge/voting system, which was designed to avoid Pagongings.

I actually think a Big Brother-esque system in Survivor could be neat. The problem is that there are 3 episodes of BB per week so you can really breath during the HOH, Nominations, Veto Comp, etc. The BB episodes where they do all 3 in one episode gets a little intense (but they are fun). I just don't know how wild I would be about an entire season of 3 challenges per episode + eviction.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I would like to see a season where there aren't any teams at all, and just skip straight to individual immunity. Would be hell on the editors, though.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

I would like to see a season where there aren't any teams at all, and just skip straight to individual immunity. Would be hell on the editors, though.

That's literally what nuvan said.
e; Well, no, I misread -- I guess theirs was more about groups winning immunity with varying groups every challenge.

I think it would be doable, except for the confusion as to who's who. They would probably need to start out with a lower number of castaways, like 15 or 13, and throw in a few non-elimination episodes a la TAR.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

James315 posted:

The BB system is poo poo, because it overvalues competition strength. It's not that enjoyable to see Mike and Joe (if they would ever make the merge under such a system) team up and run the game through their competition power alone.

Oh and doing it on a 3day schedule would be tough.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The thing is, Big Brother STILL has pagongings. Its just that they take even longer because of a random week or two where somebody manages to periodically win control. But its rare to see those moments shift the game in huge ways.

Goddamn it guys, I'm drunk and seriously considering throwing money at CBS' All Access so I can watch early season survivor.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
People exaggerate the number of Pagongings and also the boredom/predictability of most of the technical Pagongings case by case. It also takes a hell of a lot of savvy and control to succesfully orchestrate a Pagonging, which I can definitely appreciate.

edit: s30 was a 'Pagonging' on paper for the most part but it's not like those post-merge episodes were bereft of intrigue or interesting happenings.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I dunno, things would have been really really dire if Mike hadn't pulled an immunity run out of his rear end. I would have been checked out of the season a lot earlier if it weren't for the assumption that something must be coming to warrant all the pre-season praise Probst was offering. The amount of interpersonal drama almost made things worse; the merge dynamics seemed so combustable and there were signs that a turnaround was around the corner and then...nothing.

Then again, Panama owned despite being more or less a Pagonging so it just depends on the people involved

edit: There is an alternate universe Worlds Apart where Mike lost an immunity and the season is edited to present Rodney as the dominant Kim Spradlin figure leading around Will/Dan/Tyler/Sierra/Carolyn.

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 30, 2015

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

xbilkis posted:

if it weren't for the assumption that something must be coming to warrant all the pre-season praise Probst was offering.

This is the strangest thing y'all keep saying (I'm picking on xbilkis here as the most recent example) and I don't understand it. Would "Man Hypes Own Show In Interview" be a shocking headline or something?

That said, I'm a pretty new fan, so maybe I missed the years where Jeff's all dour in preseason interviews.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Nah, Jeff was really bad about overhyping seasons during the awful stretch from Nicaragua till recently. There was one season he said "this one is ok but next season is better", and the one he undersold was Philippians, the best season they'd had in years. :v:

Although I guess to be fair while Philippians stopped the slide of terrible seasons, Caramoan was freaking awesome.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

pokeyman posted:

This is the strangest thing y'all keep saying (I'm picking on xbilkis here as the most recent example) and I don't understand it. Would "Man Hypes Own Show In Interview" be a shocking headline or something?

That said, I'm a pretty new fan, so maybe I missed the years where Jeff's all dour in preseason interviews.
Jeff never hyped a season as hard as he hyped Worlds Apart, and the last one he really talked up was Caramoan, so it's not something he does every season.

His hype seems to be based a lot on the winner, but also I guess maybe Worlds Apart looked way cooler at the time when he was out there than it did post-edit and on TV.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Mike was basically his perfect winner and the edit showed him as a golden god, so I'm not surprised Jeff liked it so much.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah Mike is pretty much a Colby that won.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fast Luck posted:

Jeff never hyped a season as hard as he hyped Worlds Apart, and the last one he really talked up was Caramoan, so it's not something he does every season.

His hype seems to be based a lot on the winner, but also I guess maybe Worlds Apart looked way cooler at the time when he was out there than it did post-edit and on TV.

San Juan Del Sur was won by a woman, so this theory checks out.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

BGrifter posted:

Nah, Jeff was really bad about overhyping seasons during the awful stretch from Nicaragua till recently. There was one season he said "this one is ok but next season is better", and the one he undersold was Philippians, the best season they'd had in years. :v:

Although I guess to be fair while Philippians stopped the slide of terrible seasons, Caramoan was freaking awesome.

Oh ok, I didn't know he'd been so up and down on the various seasons. That makes more sense now.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Also in Max's exit interviews he said something like "Yeah I know Probst is hyping this season up a lot and if you're a fan you might be disappointed right now and confused about why he said that, but just wait because trust me this season is incredible and probably going to go down as the best or second best of all time."

And I believed him. :smith:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

mancalamania posted:

Also in Max's exit interviews he said something like "Yeah I know Probst is hyping this season up a lot and if you're a fan you might be disappointed right now and confused about why he said that, but just wait because trust me this season is incredible and probably going to go down as the best or second best of all time."

And I believed him. :smith:

Not surprising he has no idea what makes a good season of survivor, given how poo poo he was as a player. I wonder if he cancelled the Survivor class he teaches out of sheer embarrassment.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I never heard of Max before this season but now I'm officially going to take everything he ever says about Survivor and assume the opposite.

That being said, yeah, I get why Jeff hyped this one. As said, Mike is his perfect winner and it was a fun ride watching him beat the masses. But it really would have sucked if he had lost an immunity and we were sitting here debating whether Carolyn got screwed or Rodney really was some kind of social mastermind.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Don't worry about Max, he still thinks very highly of himself.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

xbilkis posted:

Then again, Panama owned despite being more or less a Pagonging so it just depends on the people involved

I'm rewatching this along with the cesternino re-watch and bruce's medivac has to be the funniest episode in survivor history. There might be some singular moments that are funnier, but that episode top to bottom is the funniest.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I randomly picked a past season to watch, landing on Pearl Islands. The theme is rad, the challenges are rad but I just got to the castaway tribe revote in twist. I bet Andrew was fuming after that.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Dugong posted:

I randomly picked a past season to watch, landing on Pearl Islands. The theme is rad, the challenges are rad but I just got to the castaway tribe revote in twist. I bet Andrew was fuming after that.

He's been fuming for about 11 years. And he still hates that pissant Johnny Fairplay.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Shakugan posted:

Not surprising he has no idea what makes a good season of survivor, given how poo poo he was as a player. I wonder if he cancelled the Survivor class he teaches out of sheer embarrassment.

He doesn't teach a class on Survivor. Go listen to his Second Chance interview. He goes into more detail.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

He teaches a class on reality television, including marketing and regulation, using survivor as a case study.

Actually, taught, cause he's a private sector consultant now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dugong posted:

There's a reason Savage deserves a Second Chance so drat much and might very well be the one I'm rooting for the hardest.

Mostly I just hope he gets a decent tribe and doesn't get screwed by a twist. Poor, poor Pearl Islands Savage.

He's probably gonna end up with Kass, Abi Marie, Spencer, Fishbauch, Kimmi, Varner, and Cierra.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Smorgasbord posted:

He's been fuming for about 11 years. And he still hates that pissant Johnny Fairplay.

I love that Fairplay turned out to be even weirder and more annoying in the real world than anyone could have possibly guessed watching him on Survivor.

The only way I'd ever want to see Rupert back on Survivor would be as part of a gimmick that saw two tribes, one of which has to live with Rupert as a non-playing tribe member and the other gets Fairplay. Castaways being forced to endure Rupert and/or Fairplay the entire game would be a pretty entertaining torture test.

Hell, mix in Danny Bonaduce and make it three tribes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1_VjxFTUmM

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

BGrifter posted:

I love that Fairplay turned out to be even weirder and more annoying in the real world than anyone could have possibly guessed watching him on Survivor.

The only way I'd ever want to see Rupert back on Survivor would be as part of a gimmick that saw two tribes, one of which has to live with Rupert as a non-playing tribe member and the other gets Fairplay. Castaways being forced to endure Rupert and/or Fairplay the entire game would be a pretty entertaining torture test.

Hell, mix in Danny Bonaduce and make it three tribes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1_VjxFTUmM
As someone who has broken his front teeth, this is the only time I ever felt a little bit sorry for Fairplay. But he still deserved it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

STAC Goat posted:

There's a reason Savage deserves a Second Chance so drat much and might very well be the one I'm rooting for the hardest.

Shane seems to think that Savage and Terry Dietz have a good chance of running the game together. I love Savage so it's great for me to see him back, but you should listen to The Evolution of Strategy episode about Panama because it might change your mind a bit about how good of a player Savage really was. That being said I love Savage and can't wait to see him back.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

Shane seems to think that Savage and Terry Dietz have a good chance of running the game together. I love Savage so it's great for me to see him back, but you should listen to The Evolution of Strategy episode about Panama because it might change your mind a bit about how good of a player Savage really was. That being said I love Savage and can't wait to see him back.

Savage v Terry smells like a fun early game storyline but I don't see either going deep. Maybe Terry as a shield/reliable vote for a strategic player like Stephen.

And I'm a big Savage fan but no doubt he made some blunders first time around.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I think Shane was dead on when he said Terry needs to find a brain. He's a smart guy, but he's so thoroughly conditioned into military thinking he doesn't really have the social skills for a game like Survivor. He knows how to lead, knows how to follow, but isn't particularly good at those soft interpersonal skills.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

BGrifter posted:

I think Shane was dead on when he said Terry needs to find a brain. He's a smart guy, but he's so thoroughly conditioned into military thinking he doesn't really have the social skills for a game like Survivor. He knows how to lead, knows how to follow, but isn't particularly good at those soft interpersonal skills.

I'm rewatching Panama for the first time right now and Terry's attempts to get the lower tier Casaya members to flip to his side after the merge are almost painfully bad.

His team is down 4-6 and he is trying to hustle to get someone to flip but he seems unable to even entertain the notion of promising anyone final 4 or beyond because he's so stuck to his La Mina members. So all his pitches are like "Hey, Bruce/Cirie/whoever...I have a solid 4. How would you like to join us and then you wouldn't have to worry about anything for the next two weeks?"

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Savage is a good friend of Jeff, so don't expect him to get screwed by the initial tribe composition or some random twist.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

Savage is a good friend of Jeff, so don't expect him to get screwed by the initial tribe composition or some random twist.

I've been thinking about tribe composition if it is as rumored 2 tribes of 10 initially. There's a few archetypes I think they'd like to have on seperate tribes especially for the men. I'm thinking Terry/Savage, Stephen/Spencer, Woo/Keith are guys they will want to separate from their pair for story purposes. Obviously Woo & Keith are physically mismatched so they'd try to compensate for that by probably putting Jeff on Woo's tribe v Joe on Keith's side. Jeremy and Vytas are roughly equivalent physically/gameplay wise so go to whichever tribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Honestly, I'm just kind of stoked to be going into a season where the median age is like 40. That's going to be fun and different.

• Locked thread