Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I've reached the point where I can justify picking up a second circulator. My Sansaire has been great, but now I need to decide which Anova to get as a second unit.

Edit: Leanings towards the Anova One, since it is more comparable to my Sansaire and $99 is a hard price to beat. The Precision is interesting, since it is smaller and has a better clip, but I use a Rubbermaid 12-QT tub, so I don't really need it to fit in every pot and pan. Has the Bluetooth and app functionality of the Precision become more worthwhile?

Aniki fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Soup in a Bag posted:

All the "different" foodsaver options made me angry and confused so I got a seal-a-meal for $30. (looks like it's $50 now idk why). It's worked well enough for sous vide and freezing things.

Please make soup in a bag in your sous vide and report to us.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Aniki posted:

I've reached the point where I can justify picking up a second circulator. My Sansaire has been great, but now I need to decide which Anova to get as a second unit.

Edit: Leanings towards the Anova One, since it is more comparable to my Sansaire and $99 is a hard price to beat. The Precision is interesting, since it is smaller and has a better clip, but I use a Rubbermaid 12-QT tub, so I don't really need it to fit in every pot and pan. Has the Bluetooth and app functionality of the Precision become more worthwhile?

Bluetooth is only good for calibration, otherwise I've never used it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

CrazySalamander posted:

Please make soup in a bag in your sous vide and report to us.

This just gave me a great idea to use a vac-bag in a sous vide as a double-boiler for chocolate. :aaaaa:

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

This just gave me a great idea to use a vac-bag in a sous vide as a double-boiler for chocolate. :aaaaa:

You'll want to check this out from seriouseats.

e:

quote:

:siren:WHAT FOODS BENEFIT MOST FROM SOUS VIDE?:siren:

Sous vide does NOT make everything better. For a lot of foods, there are no benefits and you'll just be wasting your time just to get the same results. But for some foods, the difference sous vide makes can be pretty fantastic:

To Steve Yun: I suggest adding chocolate tempering and a link to Chocolate tempering to OP.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 1, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

CrazySalamander posted:

Oh man, this link is pro-click as poo poo. I almost certainly would have wasted a ton of chocolate finding out those exact same pitfalls.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

Yeah, me too. I make truffles two times year. gently caress using the "rig" I have now to monitor the temperature. This machine will make all that worry and work vanish.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

It says free shipping?

Where?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

In the URL

http://slickdeals.net/f/7882261-anova-percision-sous-vide-cooker-129-w-free-shipping

e: and the description

quote:

Anovaculinary.com has Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker w/ Bluetooth on sale for $179 - $50 w/ promo code LUVDAD = $129. Shipping is free. Thanks geezus

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
sous vide burgers are legit as fuuuuuck

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Yeah, me too. I make truffles two times year. gently caress using the "rig" I have now to monitor the temperature. This machine will make all that worry and work vanish.

I've tried using sv to tempter chocolate
multiple times, and never got it exactly right. The Serious Eats method came closest but I got hella bloom that way. Maybe I just needed to chill my the stuff as soon as it was dipped.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
So it seems that ANOVA isn't afraid to recognise their bad parts: http://anovaculinary.com/serious-eats-partnership/

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

CrazySalamander posted:

I don't get the 81degree temp drop. I know why you do it, but for how long? Just long enough to get it down to 81 and then push it right back up to 90?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
He doesn't specify because the time will depend on the amount of chocolate you're using- you want the chocolate to all be at 81 F, then once you're sure of that you up the temp.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

CrazySalamander posted:

He doesn't specify because the time will depend on the amount of chocolate you're using- you want the chocolate to all be at 81 F, then once you're sure of that you up the temp.

He does:

quote:

Say you're tempering your chocolate and you're at the cooling phase. What happens if you accidentally drop below 81°F? You end up forming too many Form III or lower crystals, all of which can inhibit you from forming good Form V crystals later on when you reheat it. This is not the end of the world. Your best bet is to reheat it up to 115°F again and start over.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
?

But the whole point is forming crystals faster? As long as you don't drop it below 81, you're fine. And I still don't see a time. The guy he links to does 2 minutes at 84 (because he's a bit gunshy about the boundary) but since the inappropriate crystals will melt at 90 if you haven't gone below 81 I don't see any reason to let it sit and churn at 81 for a long time before you bring it up to the holding temp. You can it just isn't necessary.

Interestingly enough, the guy kenji links to also claims that you might be able get a perfect temper by going from 115 directly to a holding temp of 85-87, but he doesn't seem to have tried this.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I grabbed one of the cheap Anova cookers this weekend and it arrived today. Family photo time!

The Anova is definitely the smallest of the lot. I'll probably still use the Polyscience for long cooks, but the Anova will be a lot more convenient for day to day stuff.

The Sansaire is broken, but I haven't talked to those folks yet to see if they'd fix it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can the Anova sit on the bottom of a pot or does it need clearance underneath?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I think so, it has one exhaust vent and it's on the side of the bottom, so that the floor of your cambro or pot won't block it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Can the Anova sit on the bottom of a pot or does it need clearance underneath?

If you can keep it stable it works perfectly sitting on the bottom.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does the pump on yours make intermittent noise? I'm used to polysci just making a steady hum, but this seems to make different sounds. Also, there was a distinct "electric" smell but that may have just been a first use thing.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Sportman posted:

I ordered one at 10AM yesterday and it was at my door by 6PM, thanks Amazon. Immediately tossed some short ribs at 140 in for dinner tomorrow night.

What's everyone's go to vacuum sealer? Should I just get a cheap foodsaver one?

Just ate the short ribs, turned out awesome. 50 hours at 140, then brushed them with a little BBQ sauce and tossed them under the broiler. Made some grits and a kickin sauce with the bag juice (there has to be a better term for this).

Clearly this is going to be great for cooking meats going forward, but does anyone have any go to Veggies or Sides that can be done SV?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Does the pump on yours make intermittent noise? I'm used to polysci just making a steady hum, but this seems to make different sounds. Also, there was a distinct "electric" smell but that may have just been a first use thing.

It makes kind of a whirling noise but it's pretty steady in tone, it's much louder the closer you get to the 'min fill' line.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My initial takeaway from the Anova: It is more compact than the Sansaire, and feels as though it has a higher build quality. Plastic is nicer looking (The Sansaire just uses such cheap plastic. It's really disappointing), lots of stainless steel. Takedown seems a lot easier and more logical than the Sansaire. The impeller is the only moving part, compared to the Sansaire which also has the temp wheel (which is what broke on mine). I don't know how much I will use the adjustable pump output direction, but it's nice to have. The only area where I think the Sansaire excels is that it has a clip which is more convenient. The Sansaire is also more stable standing on it's own, but that's owed to it being a lot bigger at the base.

But so far, I'd say the Anova has a big edge on the Sansaire.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

It makes kind of a whirling noise but it's pretty steady in tone, it's much louder the closer you get to the 'min fill' line.

The pump on mine was definitely making some intermittent noises. Gonna have to keep an eye on that I suppose.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

It should sound pretty steady after a minute or two. Both of mine start up quiet and you hear the pump gurgle a little, and then the fan starts up and that's all you hear. It's steady.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Trip report: $5 worth of London broil for 13 hours at 135 was amazing. This thing is totally worth it so far.

Sliced 1/2 of it for lunch, re-sealed the other half and put it back in for another 12 because experimenting.

Bag leaked on the flank steak, spent at least 6 hours in a wet bag. Drained it, dropped it in a new bag. Crossed fingers for that one.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

The pump on mine was definitely making some intermittent noises. Gonna have to keep an eye on that I suppose.

The early Anovas had the same problem the Sansaire does; the impeller shaft is only really fixed at one point which makes it incredibly easy for it to go out of alignment in shipping and makes it vulnerable to tiny manufacturing defects. I don't get why they didn't try to stabilize it more.

Maybe that's the case with the new one as well?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dane posted:

The early Anovas had the same problem the Sansaire does; the impeller shaft is only really fixed at one point which makes it incredibly easy for it to go out of alignment in shipping and makes it vulnerable to tiny manufacturing defects. I don't get why they didn't try to stabilize it more.

I'll take a look at that. Wonder if there's any value in putting a bearing around the impeller shaft and soldering it in place.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Don't do that unless you're out of warantee, and even then call and ask tbe Anova folks first- I've heard of some people out of warantee getting free replacements. In fact I would call them anyway to ask if you should be concerned.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CrazySalamander posted:

Don't do that unless you're out of warantee, and even then call and ask tbe Anova folks first- I've heard of some people out of warantee getting free replacements. In fact I would call them anyway to ask if you should be concerned.

Good point. I will email them I think.

edit: Actually I'm wondering if I wasn't getting a vortex as mentioned here. I will see if it happens next time.

https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/articles/201704260-Noises

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 2, 2015

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Dane posted:

Most polyscience work that way too, don't they? I think it's just a nature of the beast, that shaft has to take a TON of abuse to bend, and the worst manufacturing defect it can have is often the sealed bearing being a dud.

I tested bending it on my "hacker edition" of the precision (because my thumbwheel was a dud) and it can take a hefty bend (on the shaft, the tines bending give you other issues) before failure (as long as the bend doesn't cause it to hit against the shroud, I tested sans shroud).

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

I think someone in this thread posted an ideal "vessel" for these at some point? I'd like something a bit wider and shorter than the stockpot I've been using.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

evil spiff posted:

I think someone in this thread posted an ideal "vessel" for these at some point? I'd like something a bit wider and shorter than the stockpot I've been using.

Polycarbonate containers are frequently used.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I use a beer cooler and a lid made out of ping pong balls/aluminum foil.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Cambros are what a lot of people use because it looks just like the real chefs!!! If you want to minmax, a plastic cooler seems like the best option.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I like my cambros. Nice to see the status of the water level / bag positions without having to lift the lid.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Talk to me about bags... That recipe for the short ribs points out that, with Ziploc or non-vac-bags I'll get an off-taste... Is that a load of poo poo? Or is it only true of very long-term cooking? (The recipe I'm talking about in the OP is 72 hours.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I've never noticed any taste when using ziplocks for the few hours at least.