Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Huh. According to that Anandtech review, in real-world tests the 980ti is, on average, only 3% slower than a Titan X. I would have thought Nvidia would leave more of a performance gap than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Don Lapre posted:

MSi for air coolers, EVGA for their new Hybrid units

Though a number of companies are debuting 3 fan solutions for TI including asus with a new DirectCU iii

EDIT: looks like Titan X and 980ti are both fully DX12 compliant. 980 and below are not.

is that up for preorder/sale yet?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Fauxtool posted:

is that up for preorder/sale yet?

980ti sales should start tomorrow

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Bad timing on me buying a 970 last week. But, I can run Witcher 3 60fps on ultra with the hair stuff turned off so whatever.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I wonder if I'll have to replace my 650W if I wanted to grab a 980TI.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Fat_Cow posted:

Not at all. My Titan X @ 1400 and an i7 is only pulling around 450w from the wall. Thats on a 550w platinum psu.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Don Lapre posted:

Not at all. My Titan X @ 1400 and an i7 is only pulling around 450w from the wall. Thats on a 550w platinum psu.

Alright that's great.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Fat_Cow posted:

Probably not, unless you've got some unusual high-draw items connected or your PSU is some Rosewill crap. 250W TDP is pretty low considering what type of performance you're getting out of it; it's lower than the ~300W that a 290X draws, and I currently run a 290X, i5-2500k OCed, 16GB RAM, 2x HDD and 1x SSD on a Corsair RM 650 with absolutely no issue. Even under load I think the whole thing only comes up to something like 400W. SLI would be out of the question, but for a single you'd be a-ok.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Fat_Cow posted:

I got another goon's 780 back in 2013 and continued to overclock the poo poo out of it even after I swapped to a smaller 660W Seasonic power supply last year. I could run an overclocked 3770K with it as well. The card had the same default 250W power draw as the 980 Ti, though the Ti here has more CUDA cores and twice the VRAM.

I'd say you'd be fine.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Is there a timeline for the next generation of cards?
I'm on a 470gtx and it's going at about 15fps with everything off in witcher 3.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

MeruFM posted:

Is there a timeline for the next generation of cards?
I'm on a 470gtx and it's going at about 15fps with everything off in witcher 3.

Tuesday

DrDork posted:

Probably not, unless you've got some unusual high-draw items connected or your PSU is some Rosewill crap.

Nothing wrong with rosewill. They have a number of superflower units.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
thanks, i'll wait till then

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Anandtech review looks pretty good. Once I see some nonreference cards from EVGA/MSI/Asus on amazon, it is going to be tough to avoid pulling the trigger. On the one hand, waiting for AMD is an option, and they may have something compelling. On the other hand, I am on summer break from teaching, and the time I have to do poo poo and play games is right now. Not two months from now.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
So it'd probably be dumb to sell my 970 and buy a 980ti, right?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

So it'd probably be dumb to sell my 970 and buy a 980ti, right?

Are you using 1440p. The 980ti is a huge bump over the 970. It would be dumb to sell your 970 for a 980.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Don Lapre posted:

Are you using 1440p. The 980ti is a huge bump over the 970. It would be dumb to sell your 970 for a 980.

This. I think the 980Ti is the new ideal card for 1440p+ if you want decent performance and don't want to spend on/deal with a dual card set up.

It certainly puts the Titan X and 980 in the dog house.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/geforce-gtx-980-ti/buy-gpu

you can buy them now.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Don Lapre posted:

I plan on it. I was planning on getting the 27in Acer but I would be diverting my funds to this instead for the time being.

SmartCunt
Feb 10, 2005
hey whats up
Wow, AMD had better follow up quick. My wallet is trying to jump out of my pocket.

Will they be able to compete with essentially a $649 Titan X?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SmartCunt posted:

Wow, AMD had better follow up quick. My wallet is trying to jump out of my pocket.

Will they be able to compete with essentially a $649 Titan X?

Its a titan x with part of the gpu cut off and half the vram. 2-10% less performance depending on who you ask.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

65% of the price for 95% of the performance sounds pretty good to me. Especially when I have a 1440p monitor, and am currently using a 760.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Did the Witcher 3 promo end and/or does it not apply to the 980ti? It only says it comes with Arkham Knight.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's out of stock.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

Did the Witcher 3 promo end and/or does it not apply to the 980ti? It only says it comes with Arkham Knight.

Yea, i think the witcher 3 promo is over. Titan x users may still get it.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
:supaburn: will I ever stop buying video cards gently caress you nvidia. You're making cards better in every way and releasing them cheaper. I thought I was done for a bit.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Unless Fiji is substantially more powerful than the Titan X it's pretty much over for AMD. Maybe they'll be able to make some headway with a $1100 dual-GPU card or something.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yiyiyi I'm glad I sat on the fence before getting an 970. I don't know if prices for that will drop, but it brings the 980 and 980ti into the frame since I'm going 1440p next upgrade.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
My 970 EVGA SLI push Firestrike to 19150, Firestrike Extreme to 10200 and run Witcher 3 at 1440p and Ultra Settings with hairworks at 55-65 fps average.

So I was sure I would skip the 980ti...until I saw the customs. Holy hell.... The superclocked custom ones will mean that 980TI = "Titan Irrelevant", just to make the reference again, and will be faster than my 970 SLIs.
And they have 2 GB VRAM more.
....I meant 2,5 GB VRAM more.

I fear the german superclocked models will be ~ 800 to 850 Euros but I will sell my 970s to buddies for 250 Euro each. Thats means an invest of ~ 1200 Euros to jump from 970SLI to 980TI SLI. :sludgepal:
Yeah, somehow stupid but gaming is my passion and who needs to eat anyway and I wanna flood my sweet ASUS RoG Swift with frames. I must...I MUST

TitanX SLI Goons withj Haswell Architecture, what are your PSUs like? I got an 800 BeQuiet E10-CM and I am wondering if this will be enough or not (I got an I7-5930K oc at 4,3 GHz and Samsung 850 Evo in my rig).

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Unless Fiji is substantially more powerful than the Titan X it's pretty much over for AMD. Maybe they'll be able to make some headway with a $1100 dual-GPU card or something.

I predicted this way back and even toxxed on it. This is reminiscent of the Tesla vs Terascale days, except there won't be a minor recovery after Nvidia fumbles with a Fermilike.Thanks for not letting me down(?) AMD.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Don Lapre posted:

EDIT: looks like Titan X and 980ti are both fully DX12 compliant. 980 and below are not.

Details on what exactly is different?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

pr0zac posted:

Details on what exactly is different?

The Titan X and 980ti us a different chip that supports DX12 I would imagine.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, certain as-of-yet unnamed hardware bits and bobs are incorporated into the new silicon to fully support DX12--the rest of the lineup will just "mostly" support DX12. However, I wouldn't expect that we'll actually see anything that uses those for another year+, especially if only two or three cards out of both NVidia and AMD support them for the next (soon to be current) generation of cards.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I get that, I was wondering if it was known what parts of DX12 are not supported on the older chips.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
This probably isn't the thread for opinions on budget options but it moves much faster than the PC building thread: Is the 960 a good option if I'm stepping up from a 550Ti? Was considering the 750Ti but the 960 looks significantly better and only 50 bucks more, which is fine since 200 dollars is the upper limit for what I would want to spend right now. I'm a neanderthal who's still gaming at 1080p, for what it's worth.

Also, what's this about the Witcher 3 code with purchase offer ending/already being over? I had a few friends interested in buying the Witcher code if I got it to help subsidize the cost, but nobody I know of is too interested in Arkham Knight.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Will any other manufactures besides EVGA be released today/tomorrow? Or will they be delayed?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Etrips posted:

Will any other manufactures besides EVGA be released today/tomorrow? Or will they be delayed?

Lots of skus have been shown so who knows. The nvidia one has already gone on sale and sold out.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Heavy Lobster posted:

Is the 960 a good option if I'm stepping up from a 550Ti?
If you're under a tight budget, the smart move is to wait two weeks for AMD to drop their "new" line and see what that does to everyone's prices. If nothing else, it should provide a robust used market on which you'd be able to pick up a 960 or whatever you decide to get at an even further discount.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I picked up a 970 today because of a weekly sale at a retailer that brought the price down ~$70 from 49,000Y to 40,000Y. (other stores carry the card for 53,000+ - $426 USD!) Fortunately the sale was specifically for the MSI Twin Frozr! No bundled games though. PC parts market sucks in this country. Upgraded from a 750 Ti. My 450W Silverstone SFF PSU seems up to the task as well!

Now I'm eyeballing a 1440p or 4K G-Sync monitor. I don't intend to do much gaming at 4K, I know the 970 isn't quite up to that task, I mostly want the res for my photography work and will run games at 1080p. Nice to see nVidia announced a bunch of 4K monitors coming this year as well - I'll wait for one of those instead of picking up that Acer IPS monitor that everyone's clamoring for.

Oh, and nVidia announced windowed g-sync hell yeah! The ability to run games at virtual full-screen/windowed full-screen and still get g-sync! Thank you, thank you, thank you for that nVidia. :3:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Heavy Lobster posted:

This probably isn't the thread for opinions on budget options but it moves much faster than the PC building thread: Is the 960 a good option if I'm stepping up from a 550Ti? Was considering the 750Ti but the 960 looks significantly better and only 50 bucks more, which is fine since 200 dollars is the upper limit for what I would want to spend right now. I'm a neanderthal who's still gaming at 1080p, for what it's worth.

Also, what's this about the Witcher 3 code with purchase offer ending/already being over? I had a few friends interested in buying the Witcher code if I got it to help subsidize the cost, but nobody I know of is too interested in Arkham Knight.

The Witcher code is one of those 'while supplies last' things. And the base-model 970s are flirting with $300 after rebates already. Sooner or later you'll be able to stack a coupon with a rebate and get one for slightly under $300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
As incredibly tempting as that 980ti is, it'd still be a hefty investment. Even selling my 970 and buying a reference 980ti for 650 would put me out $400, and that's too rich for my blood.

Besides, I'm at 1080p. A 970 does wonders. I'll probably wait for Pascal with its 2nd gen HMB. reasonably smart idea or no?