Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
What the gently caress did 1.03 do to the Xbone version?

Before, game looked beautiful, poo poo worked, framerate would fluctuate but was playable.

Now, all textures seem a tad lower res, lighting doesn't seem as good, poo poo seems more blurry, and NPC pop in is really really bad. Frame rate is a little better but wasn't worth the cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Bit of a throwback, but:

Psiharis posted:

Even before the Act 3 skellige parenting choice, where elf-bitch is talking trash and Geralt catches Ciri's eye and tried to cheer her up with this stupid 'blah blah' face, mocking the elf behind her back was such a sweet dumb dad thing to do. Especially the part where it didn't actually help one bit.
I loved this so very much. The last thing I expected was to see Geralt mock yawn to try and lift Ciri's spirit. I feel like the strongest part of Geralt's characterisation is when he's shown to be a well-meaning, respectful yet playful dad.

Partly because the rest of his character is really just 'kills monsters, fucks around, scowls'

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 1, 2015

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Wandering In The Dark is the weakest quest for me so far. Not only does it involve one of the least interesting characters in the game but the dialogue takes a nosedive:
- Step back!
- Don't tell me what to do!

And as people mentioned before it's terribly designed. There are 3 bosses (plus one guarding some treasure) and four or five mobs, one taken directly from Mass Effect 2 endgame. Not only was it tedious but I had to use two weapon repair kits because the weapons broke.

And the rest of the Keira questline was pretty bad, too. One second she wants to get rich by using the documents and then she's like ok, I'll just move to Kaer Morhen and give you these scrolls I've been looking for all this time. It's like this quest line it was made by a different team than the rest of the game.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I totally for got W3 is the first game to be voiced in Japanese.

It's weird. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMro8GgW42s

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
gently caress what a game. I just finished and got a good ending. Ending spoilers loving Djikstra, all you had to do was wait until I left and you'd have been just fine, but nooo you've gotta go and threaten me and my bros while I'm there. Foolish.

Thank god Ciri lived, I was genuinely worried there for a bit. She became Empress and Temeria got to be its own vassal state.

The cutscenes for the boss fights in this game are so dope. The killing of Eredin was beautiful and burning Imlerith's face off was such a gently caress yea moment

I still don't understand how the Wild Hunt who's world is being eaten by the white frost also commands it when they come to Geralt's world.

Is there an ending where Emhyr ends up assassinated?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

gently caress what a game. I just finished and got a good ending. Ending spoilers loving Djikstra, all you had to do was wait until I left and you'd have been just fine, but nooo you've gotta go and threaten me and my bros while I'm there. Foolish.

Thank god Ciri lived, I was genuinely worried there for a bit. She became Empress and Temeria got to be its own vassal state.

The cutscenes for the boss fights in this game are so dope. The killing of Eredin was beautiful and burning Imlerith's face off was such a gently caress yea moment

I still don't understand how the Wild Hunt who's world is being eaten by the white frost also commands it when they come to Geralt's world.

Is there an ending where Emhyr ends up assassinated?

Ending answer spoiler: Yes, if Radovid or Djikstra live and rule the North, the merchantry of Nilfgaard enacts a coup against Emhyr, but through this route, Ciri can't be empress I believe.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 1, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Honestly I think the English VAs for this game are pretty weak. Yeah the guy who does Geralt has gotten better, but he's still not great. The Dandelion guy manages to completely pull me out of the game every time he talks. Ciri's voice actor is doing a lousy English accent for reasons???

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The English VA is great

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Ending answer spoiler: Yes, if Radovid or Djikstra live and rule the North, the merchantry of Nilfgaard enacts a coup against Emhyr, but through this route, Ciri can't be empress I believe.

Interesting. Also gotta say I love the Quest with Philippa. Two characters who clearly hate the other just being total dicks while wandering through elven ruins. That's about as witcher as it gets

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I'm impressed how Ves's neckline somehow managed to get lower between games - I didn't even know that was physically possible. Also just got the cat armour; it's kind of cool I guess but it does make Geralt look like a bit of a gay pirate. Which honestly I'm warming to, though the design is a little bare. I trust the upgraded version is a little shinier? With bells on?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

CDPR never mentioned they included another mini-game besides gwent.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I was amused when Roche yells at Ves for going into combat with her tits hanging out.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

ShadowMar posted:

CDPR never mentioned they included another mini-game besides gwent.

That loops way too good. :catstare:

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
While I don't think the voice acting overall is outstanding, I think it's very good in many places, and still fine where it's at its weakest, in that it doesn't pull me out of the game. The only character that I remember as 'trying too hard' is the smith at Crow's Peak ('Heuw maey ey help yuew, for ey'm obviously a dwarf').

I think the sheer scope of recordings basically guaranteed that they couldn't afford to pay top dollar for every role.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Badly Jester posted:

While I don't think the voice acting overall is outstanding, I think it's very good in many places, and still fine where it's at its weakest, in that it doesn't pull me out of the game. The only character that I remember as 'trying too hard' is the smith at Crow's Peak ('Heuw maey ey help yuew, for ey'm obviously a dwarf').

I think the sheer scope of recordings basically guaranteed that they couldn't afford to pay top dollar for every role.

How else is he going to prove that he's a master armorsmith?. :mmmhmm:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Honestly I think the English VAs for this game are pretty weak. Yeah the guy who does Geralt has gotten better, but he's still not great. The Dandelion guy manages to completely pull me out of the game every time he talks. Ciri's voice actor is doing a lousy English accent for reasons???

Geralt's VA only felt jarring to me in the first game which dissipated by the end; at this point him and the character are pretty much inseperable. Don't really have any complaints in this one. Same sorta thig with Dandelion. Ciri's VA strikes me as a little bit too... fresh faced overly enthusiastic thames estuary street urchin... but I guess that's the point. I'd have preferred someone more deadpan, but her story (I'm in the midgame at the moment so IDK if it takes a tragic turn) is more swashbuckling adventurer than weary monster-janitor-turned-PI.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I was amused when, upon returning to the ship in act 3, I overheard Phillipa, Fringilla and Rita comment in the distance on how Geralt had bedded 3 out of the 6 women onboard and guessing at who was going to be number 4 (the only two candidates, after eliminating Ciri for obvious reasons, being among them).

Sepah
May 13, 2014

Kopijeger posted:

The song in question, in various languages.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMvAAfPs0UE

I would have enjoyed this scene a lot in game, if they hadn't apparently split the song into several sound files, with noticeable pauses in between each. Just a moment of dead sound, each time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Generic Monk posted:

I'm impressed how Ves's neckline somehow managed to get lower between games - I didn't even know that was physically possible. Also just got the cat armour; it's kind of cool I guess but it does make Geralt look like a bit of a gay pirate. Which honestly I'm warming to, though the design is a little bare. I trust the upgraded version is a little shinier? With bells on?

Yeah, the upgraded Cat armor will get a few bits of metal as well as some sleeves.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the upgraded Cat armor will get a few bits of metal as well as some sleeves.

Cool, I think looking like Mac from It's Always Sunny might get a bit old after a while.

Sepah posted:

I would have enjoyed this scene a lot in game, if they hadn't apparently split the song into several sound files, with noticeable pauses in between each. Just a moment of dead sound, each time.

Seems like a limitation of the game's dialogue/cutscene system. Wouldn't be so immersion breaking if it wasn't pretty much flawless for the whole game up to (and presumably from) that point. Like how the skyrim bards get away with having 3 second long pauses between each line of their ditties because the rest of the game's dialogue is just pure jank.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 1, 2015

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The conclusion of that quest is all kinds of wonderful. That poor bugger that walked in and promptly was hired to test the new armour... talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I don't know, maybe by actually making master-quality armor instead of having his 'apprentice' do it for him? Pairing a woman from Skellige with a dwarf who's a lovely smith like that was a pretty funny move.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

mcbexx posted:

The conclusion of that quest is all kinds of wonderful. That poor bugger that walked in and promptly was hired to test the new armour... talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I just wanted my horse shoe'd up. :smith:

Badly Jester posted:

I don't know, maybe by actually making master-quality armor instead of having his 'apprentice' do it for him? Pairing a woman from Skellige with a dwarf who's a lovely smith like that was a pretty funny move.

Regarding that, I picked up pretty quick what was going to happen considering she's probably the first Skelliger you meet in the game early on. Her accent was the tip off for sure.

Edit: Oh hey, now that I think about it, I never ran across that "Then gently caress off" vampire from the trailers. Where's the quest for that?

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 1, 2015

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I just wanted my horse shoe'd up. :smith:

Regarding that, I picked up pretty quick what was going to happen considering she's probably the first Skelliger you meet in the game early on. Her accent was the tip off for sure.

Yeah, the fact that she knows about those special tools and then says your requests are reasonable, while the dwarf says it can't be done is an early tip off as well. It's a minor point, sure, but I enjoyed how the game just had to subvert a classic fantasy trope for shits and giggles.

RE: trailer vampire, I haven't found him myself yet, but I think he's in the Novigrad sewers somewhere.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 1, 2015

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Edit: Oh hey, now that I think about it, I never ran across that "Then gently caress off" vampire from the trailers. Where's the quest for that?
Take a wander into the Novigrad sewers. I cannot recall which entrance but eventually behind some Aard-able walls you'll find an archaeologist who wants your help.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
Is there anywhere I can find the Rebus diagram without having to do the entire questline to unlock the master alchemist? It's the only thing I need to finish upgrading my cool Bear sword :/

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Arglebargle III posted:

I was amused when Roche yells at Ves for going into combat with her tits hanging out.

The Polygon review called this out for being "the snake eating it's own tail" of videogame sexism, which is pretty funny. I also suspect that this line is the story team taking a shot at the character team, so that's also pretty funny. A lot going on with this one dumb joke.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I gotta say my mind was blown when I went on the trip through time and space with Avallac'h. I didn't quite know what to expect, so the fact that I'm suddenly served up 3 vast new and distinctly unique environments (and another 2 that felt sufficiently alien without really being completely unique) really floored me. Wish I had been able to loot one of the sandcrabs and see what kind of hooch I could make out of their bits. I also wonder what those flying things generating shockwaves in the sky of the desert world were.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Arglebargle III posted:

Ciri's voice actor, Jo Wyatt is actually English and her accent is fine, what's so lousy about it? She's not the best actor in the game but her accent is totally genuine.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The more I play, the more I think that crafted armor and weapons make quest/random loot almost entirely meaningless.

This happens a lot in RPGs so it's not exactly a huge surprise. My fantasy workaround for this would be for crafting to simply alter the appearance of items, basically a transmogrify mechanic. So all the stuff you find would be potentially worthwhile gameplay-wise, and the recipes you come across would allow crafters to reforge your best items into the designs you like.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

All of the English accents in the game are absolutely genuine. Most of them tend to be more northerly, and that makes it clash with Ciri's more southern posh-er one, but I've met people who talk like her in real life.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Most of of the EN actors are legit english, nearly all our recording is done in London. Letho is welsh.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
You can really tell that they're all genuine just because of the range of different accents that are in the game, and they all sound like they fit. I especially like how welsh the crones are. They'd totally fit in the valleys.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
All the different locales in the game have their own distinct accents associated with them, which is something you miss out on if you play in anything other than EN.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

For a place as small as the UK, in comparison to the likes of the US at least, we have a lot of accent variation. I live in the middle of three towns, with no notable sort of distance between them and despite that, the accents all vary quite a bit. It's pretty crazy.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The more I play, the more I think that crafted armor and weapons make quest/random loot almost entirely meaningless.

This happens a lot in RPGs so it's not exactly a huge surprise. My fantasy workaround for this would be for crafting to simply alter the appearance of items, basically a transmogrify mechanic. So all the stuff you find would be potentially worthwhile gameplay-wise, and the recipes you come across would allow crafters to reforge your best items into the designs you like.

I'm not particularly sad about this. Gear juggling has become my least favorite aspect of RPGs, especially as the rest of the gameplay and story in RPGs have become more immersive. I don't want to spend time sitting on a menu screen comparing numbers and then asking myself if this upgrade is really worth looking like a clown, when I could spend that time slicing things up, moving through the story or playing my sweet gwent deck. So having an armor set that is basically about as good as it gets most of the time, is straightforward to acquire and looks badass to boot is godsend for a player like me.

I feel that if a gear system of some kind must be included, choice of gear should be about picking between unique abilities or effects that support your playstyle without being mandatory, rather than trying to boost the particular numbers that your playstyle relies on to effective at all.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
Finished with the game. Now to wait for the expansions. loving amazing game love it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I've picked up some pretty cool relic swords lately, actually. Good enough that I need to choose between their slightly lower damage compared to their power of helping me set everything on fire all the time.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

I've picked up some pretty cool relic swords lately, actually. Good enough that I need to choose between their slightly lower damage compared to their power of helping me set everything on fire all the time.

Ah yes, good ol' Emmentaler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I don't get any issue with VA apart from every dwarve sounding the same.