Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Just generally, what do you guys think is the likelihood of this Guitar Hero/Rock Band revival succeeding? Anything a company like Activision does is focus/market tested to hell(as you can see from their tracklist) and obviously Harmonix has identified there being a demand in the market too. Still though, surveying isn't always indicative of actual demand(ask Microsoft) and it's a little worrying to me that Harmonix seems to be betting the farm on this one (not like I can think of a better option for them though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

TrojanNemo posted:

Or you can use RBtoUSB in C3 CON Tools, which is designed specifically for Rock Band 3 customs use.

Giving it a shot!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
To be perfectly honest, I don't see either title being a runaway success like the previous iterations were.

RB4 is essentially catering specifically to the die hard fans of the past 3-5 rock band games with the suggestion that you can re-import all the songs you paid for over the past 8 years, at no extra charge. And maybe you won't even have to pay for all new instruments. Maybe. But you will want to because all your old plastic guitars are starting to wear and new parts are expensive or had to come by. Oh, and a next gen system if you don't have one already. If you have a PS4/XBONE, and you can use your previous instruments, you're in for $60-$70 for the game and then tack on the DLC songs. Not bad. However, if they can't get the old instruments to play nice, then that will probably mean a $200 price tag if past history is any indicator. Now add in a new system if you don't have one, and you're down about $500 just to get in the door. That's kind of a steep price tag, but being able to get all of your old DLC helps soften that. And I don't know if releasing any sooner or later would have helped. If they had done RB4 before the new consoles, everyone would be upset about potentially losing their songs and instruments, but would have time to decide if sticking with their chosen brand of system was worth it for the RB experience. OTOH, if they waited until a year or two from now when it's all XBONE and PS4 systems and everyone has sold off their old machines, that would probably be worse. No one would expect that kind of backward compatibility three years into a console generation.

So RB4 appeals to fans of the past games, but for better or worse, just seems like a few improvements in the back end. Prettier graphics, vote on the next song, a countdown timer before your part starts. Nothing too Earth shattering from what I've seen, but some welcome additions. But what is there to pull in new players? It's been about 5 years since the last RB game, and a console generation, so maybe this will bring new eyes and ears to a franchise that have never played this kind of game before. But, (and I'm putting on my old man hat here) what songs would be included that would get the next gen of players on board? Taylor Swift? Bruno Mars? One Direction? I'm asking seriously. I'm happy with the breadth and width of the songs available through the catalog. It has a lot of what I want. But what I like and want is almost certainly not what someone half my age wants.

GH:L on the other hand seems like a strange departure from their previous formula in both tone and style. Gone is the cartoonish animated style and over the top one on one battles with some of the legends of rock (or their digital likenesses). Now you get to strum along on a fake guitar against either a) a FMV music video for the song or b) an FMV 'live band' sequence that changes slightly depending on how well or poorly you play. The mechanics of the game are still basically the same, it's just the presentation that has changed. But for someone new to the franchise, it might be a starting point since it doesn't really resemble any of the past incarnations. It's really almost like a high quality knock off, like so many others have been back in the heyday of rhythm games. The gimmick here is the FMV stuff.

I think one advantage GH has in this fight is the fact that it is slated to come out on 360 and PS3. That's a whole $300-$400 that someone won't necessarily have to spend to get their fix. I know I harp on that a lot, but that's my thing that's stopping me from being excited about RB4. I can't justify buying a new console just to play RB4 on, and I otherwise have no interest in a new system.

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight
I am buying an Xbox One specifically for Rock Band 4 and I have no regrets.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

TrojanNemo posted:

Or you can use RBtoUSB in C3 CON Tools, which is designed specifically for Rock Band 3 customs use.

Did this and the custom songs work fine but the animations and camera angles appear to be broken… I know I put the RB for update on the card.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Who is going to the Rock Band preview party in LA during E3 week?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CzarChasm posted:

But, (and I'm putting on my old man hat here) what songs would be included that would get the next gen of players on board? Taylor Swift? Bruno Mars? One Direction? I'm asking seriously. I'm happy with the breadth and width of the songs available through the catalog. It has a lot of what I want. But what I like and want is almost certainly not what someone half my age wants.

To be perfectly honest, this has never, ever been a problem for either series' popularity. GH1 had lots of classic rock and metal and teenagers still loved it, hell I remember it was my younger sister who had bought the game and I only got interested in it because I had finished EBA and had a rhythm game itch to scratch.To put this into perspective, she had most of her walls covered in Hannah Montana posters at the time, yet she was getting just as into playing Iron Man as anyone else would.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

Golden Bee posted:

Did this and the custom songs work fine but the animations and camera angles appear to be broken… I know I put the RB for update on the card.

Not sure what you tried to say there. You need TU4 on the USB stick. Read the documentation that comes with RBtoUSB on how to do that - the file is included with C3 CON Tools.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

TrojanNemo posted:

Not sure what you tried to say there. You need TU4 on the USB stick. Read the documentation that comes with RBtoUSB on how to do that - the file is included with C3 CON Tools.

Indeed it is. How silly of me.

Edit: For some reason, after going into the game, I have 80 songs in C3 but it's only tracking the only first 17 I put into the game. They appear in my RB to USB but don't detect in the Xbox.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 1, 2015

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

To be perfectly honest, this has never, ever been a problem for either series' popularity. GH1 had lots of classic rock and metal and teenagers still loved it,

Pretty much this, it was a smash hit with all ages despite the lack of contemporary music. I was loving nine when GH1 came out and I still had a blast with it at the time, my parents loved it and my older relatives also loved it. It's appeal seems to be fairly age-agnostic which seems contrary to common sense but here we are.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
I actually just redid my customs sticks again, more or less from square one, and it's as easy as it was before when you needed the injector programs.

Make sure they're formatted and blank, then just stick them in the 360 and copy your song cache and TU5 over; when you explore the stick on a computer, you can go right into the correct directories to swap to TU4 and dump in songs. Just take it slow when you're loading songs up; for whatever reason they corrupted when I did them as a batch but when I copied them over in smaller batches it was fine.

Just watch the old C3 instruction video and ignore the part where you need another program to get to the files; you'll be set. Takes longer to pick out the songs you want than it does to get them up and running.

And if you're wondering how concerned to be about market testing and viability, "Cool for Cats" was an on-disc song.

This is unquestionably a good thing.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/1/8687867/rock-band-4-preview

mother of god

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I don't see what's so wrong; a little snarky yeah but there's nothing new or interesting about Rock Band 4, so it's not going to win over new gamers, but it'll be perfect for people like us who liked playing music games. :shrug:

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
He's free to like it or hate it or be indifferent about it... but he comes off as a dismissive prig using his byline to crow about how Above It All he is and not actually cover the game / do his paid job.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Abu Dave posted:

I don't see what's so wrong; a little snarky yeah but there's nothing new or interesting about Rock Band 4, so it's not going to win over new gamers, but it'll be perfect for people like us who liked playing music games. :shrug:

Where is the passion, he even makes factual errors because he didn't talk to the developers...

quote:

There are new guitars and drums being made by Mad Catz (no keyboard) but you can use your old Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 wireless contraptions on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions, which are due out later this year. Exported songs from those old games can also be uploaded.

It's a lovely article and a waste of a spot at a press event

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the alternative? "This fat middle age producer from Harmonix with mutton chops is so wacky XD look they're playing a song you know from some obscure 80s movie XD XD XD oh man how awesome is this game? SO AWESOME *sips free beer and stays in free accomodation*"

I'd argue that's the most informative RB news story yet. This guy has no interest in this game, saw nothing new or worthy of generating interest, and now I know that Rock Band 4 isn't going to reinvent the wheel, and to get my expectations of it being innovative down.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Abu Dave posted:

What's the alternative? "This fat middle age producer from Harmonix with mutton chops is so wacky XD look they're playing a song you know from some obscure 80s movie XD XD XD oh man how awesome is this game? SO AWESOME *sips free beer and stays in free accomodation*"

I'd argue that's the most informative RB news story yet. This guy has no interest in this game, saw nothing new or worthy of generating interest, and now I know that Rock Band 4 isn't going to reinvent the wheel, and to get my expectations of it being innovative down.

If there was anything actually new shown (outside of the beta we saw) that person isn't going to pick up on it.

edit: http://tiredoldhack.com/2015/06/01/rock-band-4-hands-on-preview-its-rock-band-innit/

probably just find my info out from ukog since he was there

edit2: Dongles for all http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=166037406&postcount=2499

toymach1ne fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 1, 2015

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Legacy controller support confirmed!

PS3>PS4 will just work with the existing USB dongles, 360>Bone via a low cost dongle for purchase!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=166037406&postcount=2499

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

doesn't surprise me, polygon constantly makes people who hate "X genre" review said games and the end result reeks of poo poo

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

toymach1ne posted:

If there was anything actually new shown (outside of the beta we saw) that person isn't going to pick up on it.

edit: http://tiredoldhack.com/2015/06/01/rock-band-4-hands-on-preview-its-rock-band-innit/

probably just find my info out from ukog since he was there

edit2: Dongles for all http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=166037406&postcount=2499

I suppose monkey was the one making a "pig's dick of the solos" then?

Where's our representation?! :P

Gaspar Lewis fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 1, 2015

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Gaspar Lewis posted:

I suppose monkey was the one making a "pig's dick of the solos" then?

Where's our representation?! :P

yeah definitely UkogMonkey

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Kaboobi posted:

Legacy controller support confirmed!

PS3>PS4 will just work with the existing USB dongles, 360>Bone via a low cost dongle for purchase!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=166037406&postcount=2499

Well, I guess all I need now is a super cheap holiday season deal on an Xbone

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
MIDI Pro adapter or bust.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MinibarMatchman posted:

doesn't surprise me, polygon constantly ... reeks of poo poo

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

Just the facts, ma'am.

It's one thing to hate or love something (both get online views). But if you don't care about anything, interview someone who does, or get your facts and get out.

Do you think any journalist likes covering City Council meetings? But they loving do it, because they're paid to, and because their subscribers pay them to attend events the subscribers can't or won't.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Gaspar Lewis posted:

do his paid job.
It's a blog post. He works for a blog. He wrote a blog post, and people are reading it. He did his job, and arguably did it well.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just think this article was way more informative than anything IGN has poo poo out about Rock Band 4. I know i'll like Rock Band 4. It's more interesting to read someones thoughts who doesn't like Rock Band to see if there's anything new and interesting to "recapture the magic" or "spark the magic". There isn't. That's not a bad thing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also apparently a video leaked of Rock Band 4 and at one point the guitar and bass go crazy mode. The video was locked away but someone on GAF took pictures:

Perhaps Fantasia style freestyle sections?

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

xamphear posted:

It's a blog post. He works for a blog. He wrote a blog post, and people are reading it. He did his job, and arguably did it well.

Don't troll me like this after everything we've been through.

Also if those are RB4 screens how is the score readout right-aligned?!

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Don't troll me like this after everything we've been through.

Also if those are RB4 screens how is the score readout right-aligned?!

wow, I didn't even think about that

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
...I mean I was kidding but if they didn't have it fixed in today's stream I... guess that'd be a gotcha?

There's no decimal markers still.

(I couldn't really pay attention or look because I was at work.)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

toymach1ne posted:

Where is the passion, he even makes factual errors because he didn't talk to the developers...

It's a lovely article and a waste of a spot at a press event

The comments are pretty brutal as well. It's just an odd piece to be run on polygon, but would've been fine on something like actionbutton.net

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Kaboobi posted:

360>Bone via a low cost dongle for purchase!
Which they will probably never release in my country, not that it matters because we never got any of the wireless instruments either except for the pro ones! (Were the Beatles ones wireless? I forget. Don't have them anyway, so it doesn't matter)

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
It's definitely not that odd a piece for Polygon, I can tell you that much.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

Gaspar Lewis posted:

I actually just redid my customs sticks again, more or less from square one, and it's as easy as it was before when you needed the injector programs.

Make sure they're formatted and blank, then just stick them in the 360 and copy your song cache and TU5 over; when you explore the stick on a computer, you can go right into the correct directories to swap to TU4 and dump in songs. Just take it slow when you're loading songs up; for whatever reason they corrupted when I did them as a batch but when I copied them over in smaller batches it was fine.

TrojanNemo posted:

I'll never understand why people do things the hard way when others already went through the trouble to make the process easier for them.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Doc Morbid posted:

Which they will probably never release in my country, not that it matters because we never got any of the wireless instruments either except for the pro ones! (Were the Beatles ones wireless? I forget. Don't have them anyway, so it doesn't matter)

Yes, Beatles instruments were wireless.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Abu Dave posted:

I just think this article was way more informative than anything IGN has poo poo out about Rock Band 4. I know i'll like Rock Band 4. It's more interesting to read someones thoughts who doesn't like Rock Band to see if there's anything new and interesting to "recapture the magic" or "spark the magic". There isn't. That's not a bad thing.

Agreed, more schools of journalism should follow this model of reporting. Next time a sports publication covers a major basketball game, they ought to send a writer who hates the sport and knows nothing about it to write about how bored he is, so that people who also don't like basketball can feel validated in their opinions.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The problem with that article is that that anti-social goober spent 424 of 879 words talking about how above the genre he was (including his Culture Club tangent).

Cloud3514
May 28, 2015

Abu Dave posted:

I thought it was a perfectly fine opinion piece. Not sure how it got past the editor as a "preview," but it IS a blog, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Spoeank posted:

The problem with that article is that that anti-social goober spent 424 of 879 words talking about how above the genre he was (including his Culture Club tangent).

Which is doubly a pisser because "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?" is DLC for the game he doesn't care about.