Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

madjackmcmad posted:

One of the fellows running the camera is going to break the stream down into highlight vidoes, not sure when.

Please link it when he does! I caught part of Unormal's spiel, but then the stream audio started dropping randomly and I stopped watching. I'd definitely like to catch you and hand of luke's parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untimely Brigand
Mar 28, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

Anyone got anything for the dude behind Barony? He's staying on the couch here tonight.

Barony is pretty fun, but would be better with some minor quality of life improvements, mainly:
1) In the event that I survive the first 10 minutes, a save and exit feature (just saw on the Barony reddit that it's on the to-do list, so that's good).
2) Crosshairs that change color and/or shape when an object is within range of being picked up/interacted with.

Outside of that, is there a list of planned features anywhere online?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Untimely Brigand posted:

Barony is pretty fun, but would be better with some minor quality of life improvements, mainly:
1) In the event that I survive the first 10 minutes, a save and exit feature (just saw on the Barony reddit that it's on the to-do list, so that's good).
2) Crosshairs that change color and/or shape when an object is within range of being picked up/interacted with.

Outside of that, is there a list of planned features anywhere online?

1) It's on the to-do list, yes.
2) That's a bit of a technical hurdle for this current engine, they're looking at it and seeing if they can discover a better method than the one they've got in mind.
3) Right here-- should you dare visit the hated Reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/baronygame/comments/365d4a/some_of_the_ideas_we_have_cooking_for_barony/

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:frogsiren:

I've added rudimentary website support to doomrl-server, and it is now live in production. You can visit the test server, view a scoreboard for both players and demons, and download postmortems and ttyrecs for individual games.

Coming next: closed caption support.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Just lost a promising CoQ run because I failed to notice a jilted lover on the wall while some robots were tailing me. I feel really dumb. I really don't like that if you try to move while you're grabbed, you'll just straight up lose a turn. I didn't realize I'd been grabbed since too many messages popped up at once argh. I'd be more salty, but carapace/regen builds aren't really my favorite anyway.

Maybe it's time to actually give Cataclysm a shot.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dairy Power posted:

Maybe it's time to actually give Cataclysm a shot.

Cataclysm is a fun game, though getting started can be rough. The good news is I just started playing a game of it with the intentions of creating a "Early Cataclysm Survival Guide/Hints" thing for the RL LP Megathread.

So of course, the second I set out of my evac shelter for the first time to grab a rock, I walk out to an automated military roadblock or something and am blown away by a Robot SMG turret. Gotta love dickmoves by the random generation. :cataclysm:

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
I can't remember if I asked in this thread before or not, but does anyone here have experience with rot.js? I'm picking up some javascript (mainly focused on d3) for work, and I've been tossing around the idea of working on my own roguelike in my free time for a good while now. Seems like it may be a good fit, but I've not really heard a whole lot about it.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Cataclysm is a fun game, though getting started can be rough. The good news is I just started playing a game of it with the intentions of creating a "Early Cataclysm Survival Guide/Hints" thing for the RL LP Megathread.

So of course, the second I set out of my evac shelter for the first time to grab a rock, I walk out to an automated military roadblock or something and am blown away by a Robot SMG turret. Gotta love dickmoves by the random generation. :cataclysm:

Ha, makes perfect sense that'd happen. I'll look forward to reading, though!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Did Unormal's irdc talk not get archived on twitch? I'm not seeing it in the list, did it maybe get rolled into one of the other broadcasts?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Dairy Power posted:

Ha, makes perfect sense that'd happen. I'll look forward to reading, though!

Actually, after rereading it, the first few updates of Dareon's LP does a good job of covering most of the basics.

However, here is a little checklist I wrote up while messing around with a new character:

quote:

Check/Loot the Basement
Check outside, obtain rock.
Smash a locker, rip down some curtains
Disassemble Long String from curtain(s) into short strings
Craft Pipe from locker in Makeshift Crowbar
(no knife? make one out of a rock or spike(made from metal debris from the locker) and some string
Craft Cudgel from Heavy Stick (from Curtain)
The cudgel is an amazing weapon for what it is
Craft Stone Hammer from rock+short strings
Smash some benches
Craft some Pointy Sticks/Improvised Lockpicks from bench/locker debris until Fabrication 1
The pointy sticks can be used as a throwing weapon though they're obviously not that great
Craft and disassemble Makeshift Slings out of sheets (from curtains) until Survival 1
Craft Wooden Needle from bench debris
(welcome to your new best friend.... until you find a sewing/tailor's kit anyways)
"Butcher"/Cut up Curtain Sheets into Rags
Disassemble two+ Rags into Thread to reload your Wooden Needle.
Craft/Disassemble Bandanas until Tailoring 1
Craft Light Gloves, wear these.
Optional: Craft Safety Glasses from your plastic bottle.
Sew/reinforce your clothing until Tailoring 2
(if worried about damaging useful clothing, use your winter coat and jeans, you won't be wearing them much longer)
Craft Balaclava, Long Underwear Top & Bottom, Cargo Shorts, wear these!
(The cargo shorts are great because they provide valuable storage space)
(You'll probably be ditching the long underwear after a few days, but for now, they provide warmth in the cold early spring days and a tiny bit of early padding against zombie attack)
Sew/Reinforce your clothing until Tailoring 3
Craft Backpack and Trenchcoat, Wear these!
These two are what all this preparation was really all about, together with the shorts they'll give you a good amount of storage ability to get started, with minimal encumberedness
Optional: Reinforce all your clothing!
(reinforcing clothing to make them extra sturdy isn't vital but its really bad to have a storage heavy item suddenly get wrecked

Make final preparations for exploration and survival-hoboing! By night it should be close to night, when you can pick over towns without worrying about huge numbers of zombies seeing you. Go out in the world!
(Some stuff you might want to leave behind at the shelter to start with)

Exploration Priorities:
#1 Cargo Hauling, find a Grocery Cart or Wheelbarrow. Check misc stores for karts and Hardware and gardening stores for wheelbarrows.
Using "Control-G" you can grab various objects, useful for throwing fridges and shelves around to create a barricade, can also be used to haul a shopping cart or wheelbarrow behind you, letting you loot a LOT more stuff (cart has 200 volume, wheelbarrow 275)
#2 Food
- Cooking equipment, especially a pot for purifying water (houses are pretty reliable for these)
- Skill books can be handy!
- Tools (again, hardware stores should be a good source, tools are very handy)
- Guns/Ammo (not actually that great when you've got no skill, but a pistol or shotgun can be good in an emergency)

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 1, 2015

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Did Unormal's irdc talk not get archived on twitch? I'm not seeing it in the list, did it maybe get rolled into one of the other broadcasts?

It's halfway into the "tiny room, tiny world" segment.

Maelephant
Aug 12, 2006

"Yer know, a herd of maelephants might be jus' wot we needs."
Are the irdc videos already posted somewhere?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Random comment: man, sproggiwood is, like, really good.

random comment 2: i wish dungeonmans worked on my mac.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nutranurse posted:

Have you tried playing it with a controller? It's really good like that.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Have you tried playing it with a controller? It's really good like that.

a controller? what do i look like? a casual

guys a filthy controller-haver wandered into this most sacrosanct of threads

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

eh, Elona's been better with a controller for years and years.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

eh, Elona's been better with a controller for years and years.

Wait elona has controller support? seriously??

This changes everything.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

nutranurse posted:

Wait elona has controller support? seriously??

This changes everything.

Yeah, that's why you have that dumb ring menu. Pretty sure it's still DirectInput unless Elona+ changed it.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

nutranurse posted:

random comment 2: i wish dungeonmans worked on my mac.

This and also Caves of Qud. Alas for my undersupported platform.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

the glow posted:

If you start as an Artifex you have a number of ways to luck into heat-generating gear - you can start with thermal grenades in your inventory, or with the data disk that lets you tinker them, or Argyve may be selling the disk. You have Tinker II right out the gate so you can learn the recipe immediately. (Other less probable possibilities: thermal grenades, disks, or flamethrower in Tam's shop).

So I roll a few Artifexes and once I get one that has access to thermal grenade II+, I buy enough bits to tinker two (your starting equipment is worth enough in trade to buy these bits), go a couple of cells north of Joppa and throw them at some shale. Collect the lava in a waterskin (careful, it's hot). One waterskin of lava even with rock-bottom Ego is worth like $5000 so you now effectively have unlimited money forever. Again, it's cheaty as you need to roll a few starts before getting one with the means to melt shale, but it's fun being the wasteland millionaire, and it turns Ego into a pure dump stat so you have more points to put in places that are actually important long-term. If you're morally opposed to rerolling starts I think there's maybe a mutation that lets you generate heat (?), so you could possibly also do it that way.

Dammit. Just did this. Took me 5 thermal grenades. Now I'm level 1 and carrying 10k of lava, which is about to become way more.

I... am still gonna play through because I love tinkering, but I assume that'll get patched. Ever-burning flaming waterskins full of lava are funny, though.

For anyone curious, I took Psychometry plus whatever I wanted, rerolled till I started with a Thermal Grenade, read its history, then bought as many bits as I could afford to make more thermal nades and threw them at shale in Redrock. 5 of them melted the shale, not sure if just waiting would've triggered it eventually anyway.

Then you walk next to the lava (not in it) and ctrl-G to nearby-get the lava. I walked back to town and bought a single waterskin (I had none left) and poured 20 drams in there to buy out Tam's whole inventory before doing the same at Argyve's.

E: I assume that lava kills anything that walks over it, so I look forward to making lava-moats while I blow poo poo up with laser rifles and rocket launchers. Thanks, waterskins!

E2: also the image of my dude walking around in leather moccasins, bark armor, and a chaingun is pretty funny.

E3: I don't think any mutation for heat (Pyrokinesis or Flaming Hands) will actually work as the shale cools down long before you can melt it in between cooldowns. That was my first attempt.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 1, 2015

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Benly posted:

I mean, Sproggiwood is really holding me down at the moment and I appreciate unnormal's osx support.

black jellies :qq:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Benly posted:

Take heart: Steam CoQ has OSX support.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I decided to take a break from Cataclysm and booted up CoQ to play a new game. I start up and...

Mehmet is instantly slain, I think I saw a blue beat shoot from the Warden guy to Mehmet just as the game loaded in. :stare:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I decided to take a break from Cataclysm and booted up CoQ to play a new game. I start up and...

Mehmet is instantly slain, I think I saw a blue beat shoot from the Warden guy to Mehmet just as the game loaded in. :stare:

Every now and then faction shenanigans make the Warden hate random people in town. Luckily, Mehmet is just a noob trap and you just got some free gear.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

nutranurse posted:

I mean, Sproggiwood is really holding me down at the moment and I appreciate unnormal's osx support.

black jellies :qq:

I know, it's amazing. Once you figure out how stamina works, you realize that the Farmer can full heal himself once for every three enemies he kills, and you wonder how the game could possibly be difficult for at least that character.

The rest of the game is an exercise in teaching you.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

one thing i would like from coq is better interface explanation. what do these things mean

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Awesome! posted:

one thing i would like from coq is better interface explanation. what do these things mean

That first bar of symbols represents mutations and abilities. They're in the same order as they are on the ability screen, and they change between green and grey to show whether stuff is ready or on cooldown.

QN/MS is quickness/movespeed. QN applies to all of your actions, while MS only applies to moving (obviously). Bigger numbers are faster.

I forget what T/MA is (maybe MA is your mental defense against psychic attacks, but I think that's somewhere else in the UI).

AV/DV are armor/dodge values.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

T is turn count. MA is definitely mental armor.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

thanks. turn count seems to be stuck at 25 so im not sure what thats actually counting

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Isn't T temperature?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lprsti99 posted:

Isn't T temperature?

Oh yeah. Forgot about that since it literally only matters in 2 places most people will never see.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Sproggiwood is delightful and charming. Really enjoying the game!

the glow
May 31, 2009

Awesome! posted:

Personally I've never understood what any of this means besides 'T' and it doesn't seem like lacking that knowledge has mattered at all so my advice to you is Don't Worry About It fellow goon and happy rogueliking :cheers:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Maelephant posted:

Are the irdc videos already posted somewhere?

Twitch archives so far:
http://www.twitch.tv/irdc_usa/profile/past_broadcasts

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

How did you all get CoQ on Steam. Can I get it please. Thankyou

edit: the lord works in mysterious ways

a slime fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 1, 2015

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I will do anything to get Qud released on Steam asap

who must die to make this happen

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Varinn posted:

I will do anything to get Qud released on Steam asap

who must die to make this happen

I blame handofluke who is all like "Let's make it a little better than the current version first?" and novy who is all "You should 'market your products'." :airquote:

As far as temperature; yeah qud has a reasonably good (i.e. very terrible) thermodynamics system so every object has a temperature that propagates object-to-object.

Here are the raw twitch recordings from IRDC, which was an awesome blast. I think "Your mama likes it NP Hard" was my key takeaway. I don't think my talk is up there, but madjackmcmad's (Jim Shepard) and handofluke's (Jason Grinblat) are, and the others are great too: http://www.twitch.tv/irdc_usa/profile/past_broadcasts

(e: Mine is actually there, starting at about 33:40 into https://www.twitch.tv/irdc_usa/b/664260719 watching yourself do anything is so horrible)

e: Unormal, your Savage achievements don't all seem to be working. I ran through Ensi with all characters and it never popped, leaving me saddened. I'll look at this!

Unormal fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 1, 2015

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Unormal,

Now that I've finally downloaded it on my iphone, Sproggiwood has me hooked. Thanks! Looking forward to Qud tiles! !

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You people have real names? :(

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Hi, Roguelike thread.

Let's say I want to play a Mystery Dungeon game on my 3DS. Should I grab Etrian Mystery Dungeon, or do you suppose I'd be better off waiting for the upcoming new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon? I'm a fan of both franchises, so that doesn't really hold any weight. I haven't played any of the "Mystery Dungeon" franchise, but I have played plenty of Nethack, Dungeonmans, Dredmor. Mostly I just want a roguelike that I can play on a handheld and not have a real bad time with phone controls.

Is this one of those situations where I should just watch a Let's Play and figure out which one looks more fun to me?

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

Hi, Roguelike thread.

Let's say I want to play a Mystery Dungeon game on my 3DS. Should I grab Etrian Mystery Dungeon, or do you suppose I'd be better off waiting for the upcoming new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon? I'm a fan of both franchises, so that doesn't really hold any weight. I haven't played any of the "Mystery Dungeon" franchise, but I have played plenty of Nethack, Dungeonmans, Dredmor. Mostly I just want a roguelike that I can play on a handheld and not have a real bad time with phone controls.

Is this one of those situations where I should just watch a Let's Play and figure out which one looks more fun to me?

Yes, i am more interested in Etrian.