Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

I think this is kind of bad. You don't need to be this servile and desperate for approval for any reason, even to make money. The bits about rules in the pixel art scene and metacritic scores make me think that the guy has internalized like 3 different incompatible sets of values and is driving himself crazy trying to conform to all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Supernorn posted:

Yeah it's trying so hard to not be pixel art that they might as well not bother. Those gradients on the interface..The whole game looks like a confused, noisy mess.
Well, and it's not just because of that. The art direction in the game is kinda inconsistent in just about every way, from what I've seen in gameplay videos.

There are some really nice art assets to be sure (I love the jester guy sprite, especially its animation), but it feels like they're all from different games.

It reminds me of people who get overly caught up in details when drawing, making a 40 hour life drawing and ending up with every part that they focus on being really well drawn (nose, eyes, arm muscles, etc) but with no regard to each part's consistency with the overall picture.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

a hole-y ghost posted:

Well, and it's not just because of that. The art direction in the game is kinda inconsistent in just about every way, from what I've seen in gameplay videos.

There are some really nice art assets to be sure (I love the jester guy sprite, especially its animation), but it feels like they're all from different games.

It reminds me of people who get overly caught up in details when drawing, making a 40 hour life drawing and ending up with every part that they focus on being really well drawn (nose, eyes, arm muscles, etc) but with no regard to each part's consistency with the overall picture.

Yeah, dude is technically skilled but he doesn't seem to have the right eye for game art. The splash screen at the top could have had a third of the time spent on it and it would barely look any different, and consistency rules all unless you have a really good reason for breaking it.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Red Mike posted:

I think the reason why it falls so flat for me is that, for example, it's doing dithering on nearly everything, but because it's dithering with huge pixels and huge gaps, it looks wrong. There's no way that dithering's going to actually show you a different shade like it's meant to, you're just gonna see the pattern itself.
Mind you you're gonna be seeing that scaled down to a 4.7'' phone (which begs the question why he's bothering to make it so detailed), so the chunkiness is probably fine. All the gradients and speculars are an eyesore though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Did most of this on a lovely win8 tablet last night while watching wrasslin.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

This thread has way too much cool and good stuff. Time to poo poo it up!

I am a complete beginner at art and animation in general, but have been messing with pixel art for a little while. Just grasping the basics of animation has been a handful. Made this yesterday, started with a two frame animation as my first attempt:

It looks too much like he's skipping and the illusion of each foot coming forward separately doesn't work. Decided to try a four frame animation and ended with this:

I'm not too keen on it but it's way better than my previous attempts at four frame walking. Been playing Dragon Quest IV, so I made this just to practice animating a bit:

This was then my first attempt at animating some time ago, using the Final Fantasy sprites as a base:

The idea for this game is to switch between top down rpg and platformer, Gargoyle's Quest style. Here are some very rough stuff I did a while back, with Link's Awakening as inspiration:

This was my first attempt at a tileset.

Skeletons like to dance and party.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You should resize it without blurring the pixels.

If you're using photoshop, this tutorial shows how.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Tunicate posted:

You should resize it without blurring the pixels.

If you're using photoshop, this tutorial shows how.

Thanks! I had no idea how to do this in a better way.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Bout to dump all over this thread. Faaartt

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I know this isn't what it is but I would totally play a game about clownfighting.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
I've been working through a pile of ideations for player tokens. Here's most of my worksheet. I progressed roughly right to left. I wanted the player represented in a manner that made her/him larger than an average enemy for visual clarity, as well as a way to give more space for drawing details later like facial expressions and equipment. I put a star next to what I feel reasonably satisfied with. Bear in mind it's more of a maquette for scale / lighting / proportion and not a fleshed out character.

Pik
Jan 22, 2015

This article has been everywhere lately, geez. Overall it has its heart in the right place, but I can't say I agree with all of it. (I'm not sure why he expects so much from IGN reviews) I agree that KOF XIII had some of the best sprites in recent memory, for sure.

SupSuper posted:

I'd take this with a grain of salt since Dino Farm Games has an ugly history.
Sounds vaguely familiar. What did they do again?

Pik fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 28, 2015

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Scut posted:

I've been working through a pile of ideations for player tokens. Here's most of my worksheet. I progressed roughly right to left. I wanted the player represented in a manner that made her/him larger than an average enemy for visual clarity, as well as a way to give more space for drawing details later like facial expressions and equipment. I put a star next to what I feel reasonably satisfied with. Bear in mind it's more of a maquette for scale / lighting / proportion and not a fleshed out character.

I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but they kind of regress the further left you go. The first two rows on the right are the only ones that actually look like they're in perspective, the further you get leftwise the more they look like they're struggling to stay on a surfboard. When you get to the starred figure, they're drawn basically head-on. I actually really like the top-left of the dummy-style models on the far right because it actually looks like a simple figurine you'd see in a tabletop game, but if you need more detail I'd definitely go back to one of the other three that are around it (though you could bring their left legs in a little). They have more character and personality than any of the others there save for a few in the middle, I'm sorry to say.

Pik
Jan 22, 2015
I'm partial to the blocky one on the right side of the image, it's the most stylized.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'll just shift the blame onto The Chaos Engine as he nixed the steeper perspective on the right. Mind you that was when we were imagining this to be a realtime game with lots of animations and now it is headed towards a turn based game that wouldn't need to be so fancy.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
ill fite u scut :mad:

I don't have the time to work on this project so I'm still not sure where I stand on how the maquettes should be designed, but I do know that the stuff scut did looks a lot better when shown on the tiles we've made. I don't really want to make a digital board game, I far prefer the idea of the "pieces" being stuff that couldn't exist as a board game piece.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
Really haven't been pixellin' much lately... maybe it shows ;)

(done for the 1 hour game jam)

(playable here)

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I like the use of simple hatch lines for the platforms. The colour border makes me think of VIC-20 games.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Aneurexorcyst posted:

Really haven't been pixellin' much lately... maybe it shows ;)

(done for the 1 hour game jam)

(playable here)

someone watched the vlambeer talk on game feel

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Cool minimalist aesthetic. Reminds me a bit of one of my old prototypes:

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...

oddium posted:

I guess I should take that as a compliment? They're pretty cool guys, but I've been applying camera shake to games since I've been in the industry (we do it in 3D too!) and I learnt the ropes for such things in my professional career (true facts: the camera shake from explosions in Crackdown 2 were all various forms of figure 8's). However seeing as it's been brought up, here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdEqssNZ-U

Internet Janitor posted:

Yeah, I had to go minimal, surprising as it may seem, achieving what I did in an hour was a real stretch. I'm pretty slow at coming up with simple things... like spawn systems, etc. Luckily a lot of the polish tasks like camera shake, particle systems and animations are made really simple in Construct 2 - it means while you may struggle with the mechanics, at least you know there's some quick gloss you can layer on at the end. It was actually one of my first times using particle systems in a 2D game, I usually just spawn animated sprites, i.e.

...I really should finish that update :p

Aneurexorcyst fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 1, 2015

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Internet Janitor posted:

Dude this looks so cool! Make this into an arcade game!

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

oddium posted:

I still think screen shake is really dumb for every shot. It just looks like the game is shaking around erratically

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

zolthorg posted:

I still think screen shake is really dumb for every shot. It just looks like the game is shaking around erratically

Same.
It's really awful in Nuclear Throne. (thank god you can turn it off)

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Scut posted:

Dude this looks so cool! Make this into an arcade game!

Well, it is at least open source. I suppose I could have a go at rewriting it in JavaScript for easier distribution, but I never felt like the gameplay really clicked.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Vroom vroom I'm a Cobra II

I immediately decided that I drew this at too low an angle.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Animating more Starbound stuff. This is for the new shipyard area on the outpost.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Looks good out of context. What's the background?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Love them welding flashes!

Okay so I'm brushing my nose gently to the grindstone with these player character concepts. Hopefully these help show what my intent was with the generic maquette design:

I want something that can have distinctive features applied on top. The maquette below can have different faces painted on, as well as adjusted poses but I need this neutral pose as a sort of benchmark.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Scut posted:

Okay so I'm brushing my nose gently to the grindstone with these player character concepts. Hopefully these help show what my intent was with the generic maquette design:

I want something that can have distinctive features applied on top. The maquette below can have different faces painted on, as well as adjusted poses but I need this neutral pose as a sort of benchmark.

One thing to be on the lookout for are waist tangents (like on the soldier) that can make it look as if the figure were bisected by the tile boundaries of the ground (which in turn can make it feel like stickers on the floor instead of figures in a space, especially with the figures and the ground drawn at different angles)

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Good observation. I'll tweak it some more.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Scut posted:

I feel like there is too much of that green color...the sprite and the background kind of blend together for me

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

angel opportunity posted:

I feel like there is too much of that green color...the sprite and the background kind of blend together for me

Maybe it's camouflage? :ninja:

Kingel
Aug 24, 2006

Have you considered using different subsets of colors for background and foreground? I find it much easier to maintain readability when the limited color count is combined with predefined palettes for sprites and tiles. I generally don't limit myself to a color count for game art unless I'm making graphics for a specific 8-bit system, so that's my masochistic side speaking.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Jackard posted:

Looks good out of context. What's the background?

Here's a shot of it placed ingame. Still want to add some lights to the crane section but pretty happy with it so far.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I like it. Are you adding any verticality to these premade areas, like platforms on top the buildings and making the crane climbable in some way?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hi I'm Shoehead, I have no sense of consistency at all

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arachne posted:

Have you considered using different subsets of colors for background and foreground? I find it much easier to maintain readability when the limited color count is combined with predefined palettes for sprites and tiles. I generally don't limit myself to a color count for game art unless I'm making graphics for a specific 8-bit system, so that's my masochistic side speaking.

I have considered that. It would definitely allow me to design a palette that offsets against the background, though I'm not entirely sure it's necessary. I mean, assuming you are looking at the full size image and not the thumbnail, is it /really/ so hard to tell what's a sprite and what's a wall? Another option is to do an outline to make the sprites pop.

Anyway I'll play around with an alternate palette and see what Chaos Engine says. I'm definitely not opposed to it from the standpoint of work effort, more that I like the challenge of keeping this project squeezed within some constraints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I built up a companion palette for use on sprites. Thematically similar to the base palette but much more saturated with the shadows favouring red. Here are a few tests of it in use with some variants of no sprite outline, a black outline, and a pink outline.