Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

sofullofhate posted:

Might be a little long in the legs, but you can use the internal straps to keep that from being an issue. You might need to wear ankle straps if the boots are too long. It'll be fine.

Awesome because I bought it! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SqueakyDuck
Apr 5, 2009

Banao!~ :3::3:
Any divers located in SE Asia? Currently in Myanmar teaching but biting the bullet and doing my DM in June.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

In living and working in KL but not getting to dive nearly as much as I'd like simply due to the need to travel to get to sites.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anyone ever gone diving in Marsa Alam? Is the Egyptian coast safe to travel to these days?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

Anyone ever gone diving in Marsa Alam? Is the Egyptian coast safe to travel to these days?

Not quite the same, but I'm going to Sharm El Sheikh in two weeks. From what I've read as long as you stay in tourist areas and don't do something dumb like join a protest you shouldn't have any issues.

Anyone have any advice or recommendations for Sharm?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Just enjoy your time there and try to see if you can go watch the Thistlegorm. There isn't a bad diving site there anyway.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

SqueakyDuck posted:

Any divers located in SE Asia? Currently in Myanmar teaching but biting the bullet and doing my DM in June.

I would love to know about diving in Myanmar. I would guess the industry there is very small?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

When I was in Thailand last month I got talking to a guy who was planning to head to Cambodia for some diving. I really need to see if I've got his email address and see if he survived...

SqueakyDuck
Apr 5, 2009

Banao!~ :3::3:

Red_Fred posted:

I would love to know about diving in Myanmar. I would guess the industry there is very small?

Yeah it is. I've heard about diving trips from Thailand but they are super expensive. The diving is supposed to be spectacular down south. Last year I heard stories of dynamite fishing in the south so of this is true I shudder to think of the coral and fishies. 😖

I was in Ngwesaung (west of yangon) at the beginning of the month and I asked about diving but they said there was no dive guide and wouldn't give me a price. I emailed a tour agency about ngapali beach (north west of Yangon) and they said it was a waste of time. Its expansive to get to a lot of these places because infrastructure is pretty bad here.

I emailed an instructor friend of mine after my trip to ngwesaung and told him about it. He was toying with the idea of setting up a dive shop somewhere in Myanmar. I think it would be awesome!

There's some snorkel tours available but the areas are either too shallow to snorkel without hitting coral or too currenty.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've done many boat safaris from Marsa Alam, but haven't ever dived from land there. I have some friends which did some diving from land there some years ago, they said it was nice.
In general as long as you stay in the tourist areas there shouldn't be a problem. I have no idea if you can rent a pickup to do dives farther away and then how good an idea that might be.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

Check this site https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cippalippus posted:

The nasal spray isn't something I'd want to use, though.

Surface atmosphere is at 1 bar. Every 10 meters, you add 1 bar. In the first 10 meters, the pressure doubles, that's why the first meters are also the hardest; the good news is that you barely need to equalize after it.

When you get proficient you don't even need to pinch your nose and blow ("Valsalva manouver") to equalize, learning alternative tricks such as swallowing or moving the jaw, or using the alternative Frenzel manouver. Sea's iodium helps a lot. I never use the Valsalva anymore and usually I just swallow or move the jaw, pinching the nose if equalizing is more difficult than usual.

Yeah I'll have to find something that works for me. After doing the Valsalva manoeuvre (knew it had a name I couldn't remember clearly!) on Friday I've been sick as a dog since, completely congested up. Could be related, might not be... but bleh, it's just another thing pointing to me needing to sort this out.

I can clear my ears to some degree already by yawning, swallowing etc. I'll work on that technique because the alternative doesn't seem to be good for me!

jackyl posted:

yes, your book will count to OW as long as it was signed off by someone with an instructor number.

I dug out the booklet and they've both got instructor numbers on them, excellent. Thanks!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Drysuit arrived last night. It fits pretty well but I may need fin savers or something on the boots as they are a little roomy. I tried it with no socks so I'll put it on again tonight with big wooly socks and see how that is.

Now it looks like I need new fins and undergarments! My plan with fins is to move to Jets/Turtle/Slipstreams. I understand they are all roughly the same but size a bit different and weigh differently. Is that right?

For undergarments I am looking at Fourth Element arctics as I dive from 15C to about 22C. When it's closer to 15 I'll add merino thermals underneath. Will this work? Seems silly to buy specific 'skins' like Fourth Element recommends.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

For undergarments I am looking at Fourth Element arctics as I dive from 15C to about 22C. When it's closer to 15 I'll add merino thermals underneath. Will this work? Seems silly to buy specific 'skins' like Fourth Element recommends.

I used the arctics as summer thermals in the UK and they worked pretty well in a membrane. I think adding an extra layer to them would do the job. It won't work as well possibly as all the 4th element stuff but it'll keep you warm and costs a lot less.

I had a Weezle for winter diving but that would probably be overkill for what you're describing

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

MrNemo posted:

I used the arctics as summer thermals in the UK and they worked pretty well in a membrane. I think adding an extra layer to them would do the job. It won't work as well possibly as all the 4th element stuff but it'll keep you warm and costs a lot less.

I had a Weezle for winter diving but that would probably be overkill for what you're describing

I checked prices at our club night last night. Looking forward to spending nearly what the drysuit cost me on undergarments and fins. :negative:

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

If you're thinking about minimising costs, go with a thicker undersuit and be prepared to sweat profusely on the surface in the summer. Really comfort topside is the only reason I got summer thermals, in the water I was perfectly comfortable. I also got a cheap second hand set off ebay, which isn't too bad as long as you make sure to wash them and never ask how they were used. Really any old thing will do to keep you warm, the more expensive diving gear is only worth it if 1) You're diving in seriously cold water or 2) Your suite leaks as they are all engineered to prevent water affecting their insulating properties. I had a 1 inch hole in a neoprene neck seal while diving off the West of Scotland in January a few years ago and was still perfectly comfortable in my Weezle undersuit. Merino would probably do a good job of that though too, I know a few old school divers (albeit with neoprene drysuits) who just bought a cheap set of Merino thermals every year.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
If the weather is okay next weekend I'm going to do a shore dive to test out the suit and if I'll need new fins and undergarments. I expect the water will be about 18 C°. Pretty excited even though the dive will be average.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

My wife and I have decided to get certified, likely in Denver since it is close, and are planning a trip to Bonaire in January or February. This started as a snorkeling trip and progressed into insanity. My question is how do I pick gear and what should I pick up before we go?

We live in the prairie but do get to the Florida coast three or four times a year. We will not have a relationship with a local dive shop, and need your help.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

If you've never done it before I'd personally recommend renting at first. Frequently rental gear is not the most awesome and it's well used but it will be serviceable and I found that I was more concerned with the fact I was underwater for the first 30 or so dives than much else. Ideally of course you'd be diving with good stuff you like for the beginning but... well to know if you like equipment you've got to try it out, in order to do this you've got actually dive with it and really you need to dive with other stuff so you can compare it. Dive gear isn't cheap enough to buy and replace frequently and definitely doesn't hold its value well enough to buy stuff and resell it to try something else.

That and of course you might try it and discover you have ear issues or you just don't like it (some people are crazy :v:) Renting in the short term (or long term if you're only going to use it once a year or something) isn't any more expensive and ideally you get to try a few different kit set ups before purchasing.

Quick edit: If you're set on snorkelling then you might want to consider getting your own mask and possibly fins. Mask and snorkel are worth it anyway and aren't too expensive, try the mask in the shop and make sure it fits your face and isn't touching the bridge of your nose. You might even want to contact some of the dive shops in Florida as some will let you try masks on dives to see what they're like in the water before buying. Fins, I've got Mares Avanti Quattros which are pretty solid. There are definitely some preferences about but go for one of the big names and you'll probably be all right. Consider getting them off eBay or Craigslist if you can as there's not a lot of damage someone can do to them that isn't obvious and you can save a bit in case you decide to change.

MrNemo fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 31, 2015

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Seconding the mask. Those are going to fit each face differently, and it's good to have one that you are completely certain will work for you. Even if you don't end up diving, it'll still be good for snorkeling for the exact same reasons.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I should have clarified better.

We have been snorkeling for years, mainly west palm and the keys. We own fins, masks and snorkels.

I was considering buying up front because it looks like the rental price will be $50 per day in Bonaire. Spread across the two weeks will be there plus the few weeks we will be in Florida between now and then and the costs start to add up.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Oh, ok. $50/day for 14 days is about $700, which could net you a decent BC and possibly even a wetsuit. Both of those would be useful after the trip and save you on rentals down the line. You'd still be short a reg, but you're renting less gear than you would have.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

poo poo, for $700, I got my Aqualung Axiom BC with Titan reg/octo/gauges. Granted, the Axiom was on clearance because it was the non-i3 version, but $700 of gear would basically get you the core, if you shop smart.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

With the above in mind should I pick up the below before going to Bonaire.

3mm wetsuit (Florida / Caribbean)
Mask
Fins
Regulator

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

Mask
Fins
Regulator

If you're gonna get all that you might as well pick up a BCD as well.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I just booked a trip to Chuuk in August. Anyone have any recommendations or experiences with liveaboards? I'm thinking of doing ~7 days aboard the Thorfinn. Any dive site recommendations?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

A great link, thank you!

Ropes4u posted:

Mask
Fins
Regulator

Since there is a literally no end to what one can spend on equipment, how about a set of dive computers? I might buy that before regulators and BCDs.

Also, whether you rent or buy the fins, definitely buy some dive boots; rental boots are gross, I caught a fungus from one once.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Squashy Nipples posted:

Also, whether you rent or buy the fins, definitely buy some dive boots; rental boots are gross, I caught a fungus from one once.

Also very useful in Bonaire, given some of the sketchy entrances to some of the dive sites. There are long-spined sea urchins everywhere as well. Some good, hard-soled dive booties are really handy (and last forever, I've had my scubapros for over 15 years).

asur
Dec 28, 2012
A regulator should probably be the last thing you buy for a normal set of gear because you have to get it serviced and unless you dive a lot it's going to be cheaper to rent it.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

If you've got the basic stuff already then yeah, basic dive computer like a Suunto zoop or viper would be a good buy. It's good for you to be aware of your own deco over multiple dives, especially if you might be diving with a different guide or something since very few places will go to the trouble of tracking you on tables.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

MrNemo posted:

If you've got the basic stuff already then yeah, basic dive computer like a Suunto zoop or viper would be a good buy. It's good for you to be aware of your own deco over multiple dives, especially if you might be diving with a different guide or something since very few places will go to the trouble of tracking you on tables.

When I learned to dive, computers were just now coming on to the scene and we had to do tables manually (this was late 2005). Now they don't even teach the tables anymore, making a computer pretty much essential unless you can find someone to show you how to use a dive table. I'd definitely recommend a computer, the Zoop is what I dive with and it's done pretty well.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Ropes4u posted:

Mask
Fins
Regulator

I would say go with a Mask and Fins from that list. Those are very personal bits of kit that are very dependent on a good fit and will make a huge difference in your comfort in the water. I would also look into a dive computer. Having one that you use on a regular basis will make increase your margin of safety because you are familiar with its traits and what it is telling you. The SubGear XP-10 is a drat good option that you can find for less than $300 most places.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Thanks for the advice everyone. I would suggest the OP be updated to include a suggested order in which to buy gear. Because my wish list is up and including an island and boat at this point while my budget is more mask, booties, computer..

I'm buying for two and really need to start with the minimum and work up. Being average I can probably rent everything, but my wife is an xs and gear will likely be hard to rent.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
My buddy recently got his license, and I recommended he at least get a good mask / fins / snorkel. He went with the dive computer route (he had a gift certificate from amazon) and doesn't regret it one bit.

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I would suggest the OP be updated to include a suggested order in which to buy gear. Because my wish list is up and including an island and boat at this point while my budget is more mask, booties, computer..

I'm buying for two and really need to start with the minimum and work up. Being average I can probably rent everything, but my wife is an xs and gear will likely be hard to rent.

XS gear is actually pretty easy to rent. It's a standard size, and children also rent as well with parents, so most shops have them on hand.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Can anybody recommend me a pair of fins that are very supportive of my ankles? I have joint problems and my playing around in the water with fins has got me feeling I'm going to have ankle issues.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Have you considered changing your kick? Frog-kick is much easier on the ankles in my opinion, and causes less blisters too.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Trivia posted:

Have you considered changing your kick? Frog-kick is much easier on the ankles in my opinion, and causes less blisters too.

I've been trying that. Or I was before my doctor told me I can't swim last month. I now have permission to get in the water again. I was thinking frog was tougher on my ankles actually, but I could be mistaken. I guess I just need to build up strength as much as I can.

Having done a quick google, I don't see a whole lot of fins that provide ankle support, just lots of advice to practice with fins in the pool more. Which is what's going on already.

BTW, you have one of my top 5 favorite AVs in SA, because of the text at the bottom mostly. I don't actually recognize the guy in the pic.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

SnakePlissken posted:

I've been trying that. Or I was before my doctor told me I can't swim last month. I now have permission to get in the water again. I was thinking frog was tougher on my ankles actually, but I could be mistaken. I guess I just need to build up strength as much as I can.

Having done a quick google, I don't see a whole lot of fins that provide ankle support, just lots of advice to practice with fins in the pool more. Which is what's going on already.
Yeah, it's tough since I can't think of any fins that provide ankle support. But you can try the force fins. These fins are the opposite in that they don't restrict the ankle so the kicking motion will rely more on the knees and upper legs than the usual fins.

However, force fins are super expensive and I wouldn't recommend buying them unless you are really into diving (even buying secondhand is expensive) and/or you have mad cash to drop. I'd probably just get regular open heel fins (side towards more pliable ones rather than rigid) and high cut booties to maximize ankle support - and even consider wearing an ankle wrap. Then a whole lot of stretching before and after diving.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
The av is Principal Blackman from Strangers with Candy, along with one of his more memorable lines. Of the many running jokes in the series, his picture being in the background of almost every school scene is by far the best.

As for the frog kick, the general execution is where you try to touch the soles of your feet together. While there is still some ankle movement, it's not nearly as pronounced as the flutter kick.

You could also try a sort of reverse-bicycle kick. I use that one when I need a burst of speed. The general method is to pretend you're pedaling backwards, and stomp down to propel yourself forward. It's not very efficient in terms of propulsion nor air consumption, but maybe you could perfect it into something that works.