Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

unterdude posted:

Could you hypothetically make bread though, in an office setting? Would toaster ovens be able to thoroughly bake? And do fluorescent lights negatively impact yeast culture growth?

Probably and no. A stove top is possibly workable too. For certain kinds of breads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Honestly a cheap rice cooker is your best bet.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
So I had some time this morning and thought what the hell, I'll give the no-knead a try instead of just making traditional loaves like I usually do. Unfortunately I realized after it was mixed and covered that this is a bad plan, because with the dough prep finishing around 7:30am, baking tonight would keep me up later than I want to (7:30pm minimum ferment time, plus ~2:15 for second rise, plus :45 to 1:00 to bake, plus time to cool and slice. And I could normally go 22-24 hours for the initial ferment and bake in the morning, but I have to be in at work extra early in the morning and definitely wouldn't have time unless I wake up at, like, 4:30am.

So, the question: Can I refrigerate no-knead dough? Like, once it's had 12 to 24 hours to ferment, can I chuck it in the fridge til I'm ready, and then take it out and let it rise for the two hours and then bake?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Yep, 2 cups of warm water in a tray on the floor of the oven, but often I let the steam escape about 10 minutes into baking.

drat, that was the only idea i had. No clue then.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

guppy posted:

So, the question: Can I refrigerate no-knead dough? Like, once it's had 12 to 24 hours to ferment, can I chuck it in the fridge til I'm ready, and then take it out and let it rise for the two hours and then bake?

Yes, absolutely. You can even let it do the whole fermentation at fridge temps. Mix the flower and water, let it autolyze for a while, add the yeast and salt, mix, right into the fridge for a few days. Take it out, proof it, bake.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Phanatic posted:

Yes, absolutely. You can even let it do the whole fermentation at fridge temps. Mix the flower and water, let it autolyze for a while, add the yeast and salt, mix, right into the fridge for a few days. Take it out, proof it, bake.

Not only CAN you refrigerate no-knead dough, you SHOULD refrigerate it as it helps develop the flavor. Keep it in the fridge for around five days and try it then.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Sweet, thank you.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
this is what happens when you bake 75 degrees lower than directed. didn't notice until the end of baking when the crust wasn't brown. cranked the temp and salvaged the loafs.

10% whole wheat poolish bread with walnuts

Bronze fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 13, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
How would you do a no-knead sourdough with a long fridge ferment? My instinct would be to mix some starter with flour, water and salt, stick in the fridge for a couple of days, remove, shape, proof, bake.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Has anybody ever tried to make crisp bread before? I'm talking about rykrisp/wasa/ryvita/whatever. I'd just need to know what kind of hydration to shoot for and how long/what temperature to bake at. Those usually only contain water, flour, salt, and yeast so I feel like I should be able to get fairly close.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I assume there's an upper limit to how long no-knead can be allowed to ferment, right? I left mine out on the counter (covered) for about 23 hours, and then put it in the fridge for another, um, 36, because I didn't have time to deal with it. I'm about to take it out and try to rise it. It probably won't kill me, right?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

guppy posted:

I assume there's an upper limit to how long no-knead can be allowed to ferment, right? I left mine out on the counter (covered) for about 23 hours, and then put it in the fridge for another, um, 36, because I didn't have time to deal with it. I'm about to take it out and try to rise it. It probably won't kill me, right?

Definitely wont kill you, but might not rise much if the yeast has exhausted itself.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I made baguettes yesterday for the first time, and drat did they come out good and crunchy. My wife and I ate one in the span of a few minutes, she took the 2nd one to work, and I am eyeing the 3rd one now. Don't want it to go stale ya know. It was easy to make, just took a long time to rise the bread.

I have also started on a sourdough starter. On day 3 of the feeding, and its coming along nicely. I fed it rye flour the first few days, now switching to white flour for the rest of the week. Its bubbling nicely and is getting a distinctive smell. This is going to be good I think.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

therattle posted:

How would you do a no-knead sourdough with a long fridge ferment? My instinct would be to mix some starter with flour, water and salt, stick in the fridge for a couple of days, remove, shape, proof, bake.

From what I have read in my King Arthur book, you need to let it get going first after taking it out of the fridge. So feed it 4 oz flour and 4 oz water, mix it up well and let it sit at room temp for 6-8 hours. Putting the starter on a heating pad set to low to get it to 80 degrees would be best.

[edit] that's for the starter. For the dough itself the book says that "The dough may need some time at room temperature for the last bit of rising, but if the bread looks ready to go the minute you pull it from the fridge its fine to put it directly into the oven. Cold dough going directly into the oven will reduce initial baking temperature in the oven, so compensate by preheating the oven 50 degrees higher than what the recipe calls for. Once the bread is in the oven reduce the heat to recommended temperature and bake as usual.

This just what the book says however, I have not made any sourdough bread yet however, see my above post

Cimber fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 18, 2015

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Long cold ferments work fine with sourdough breads. You do want your starter to be active so you would feed your starter in whatever manner/ratio you typically do at room temp. When your starter is ready, mix it with your flour, water, salt, then the rest of the bread baking process is the same as any bread. I usually like to do a few hours of room temp fermentation during which I do a few stretch and folds before putting it in the fridge for the cold ferment, but certainly you could do a no knead process too.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

First attempt at making gluten- and lactose-free (:smith:) bread. It's cooling now, but from a small piece I can say that upper crust is fairly strong and the insides seem to be alright, even though I have some doubts if it'll be robust enough to hold a proper sandwich, but I'll test that as soon as it cools down a bit. I got myself an appropriate mix of flour, and followed instructions - broke up 25 g of yeast in 4 dl of lukewarm water; added 1 tsp salt, 450 g of flour mix, 50 g of molten margarin; mixed all of this for 5 minutes with mixer/blender/whatever-thing-with-two-rotating-pieces; let it rise for 35 minutes (didn't have towels of any king or anything, so it was 20 minutes under sheet of baking paper covered by a cutting board followed by 15 minutes of just under baking paper); put it into lowest shelf in the oven and fired it up at 200 C (put thermometer in it around 20 minutes in to check with temperature from the second post in the thread (205 F)) and cooked until insides were at ~ 96 C (per second post in thread, instruction on package said 25-30 minutes), amounting to roughly 35 minutes of baking.

I'll post/edit after I have some more of it, but perhaps there's something painfully obvious that I should consider for the next time?

Edit:

Seems nice for the first try, but some things I found less than great in what I came up with - it's a bit moist, and all sides other than top do no have crust, which, given how soft rest of the stuff is and how hard the crust is, makes it fairly difficult to cut it.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 19, 2015

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I would imagine that would go stale fairly quickly. are you making it for dietary needs of someone, or just for shits and giggles?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cimber posted:

I would imagine that would go stale fairly quickly. are you making it for dietary needs of someone, or just for shits and giggles?
For my own dietary needs, but I eat bread rarely, and I don't expect/need it to last more than overnight, as I've come to view bread as a snack food.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

kalstrams posted:

For my own dietary needs, but I eat bread rarely, and I don't expect/need it to last more than overnight, as I've come to view bread as a snack food.

You'd probably be better off going with something pre-made like Udi's GF Bread, otherwise GF bread can be a pain. My nephew has celiac, and we have made him the Bob's Red Mill bread from the mix and it works well too. I've found that both of those GF breads are pretty good once toasted.

Of course, that being said, if you can eat real bread then do that, it's no contest.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ishamael posted:

You'd probably be better off going with something pre-made like Udi's GF Bread, otherwise GF bread can be a pain. My nephew has celiac, and we have made him the Bob's Red Mill bread from the mix and it works well too. I've found that both of those GF breads are pretty good once toasted.

Of course, that being said, if you can eat real bread then do that, it's no contest.
Gluten- and lactose-free diet excludes proper bread (which I can't get in this country either way), unfortunately. GLF bread I can buy here is somewhat depressing, so I was willing to give a shot to baking, for change's sake. Toasting though, that sounds like a good idea I should try, if second loaf comes out as crustless/soft as the this one diid.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Americas test kitchen gluten free bread is a good recipe to start with.
In my experience working with making gluten free breads you really need to add xanthan gum to it to make up for the missing gluten structure.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

How does GF bread with xantax gum compare to without it, assuming the rest is the same - gum "solidifies" it, I guess? Also thank you for pointer to the recipe, I'll check it out, since I have enough flour for another loaf.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Psyllium husks are also recommended to add structure.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LoonShia posted:

Psyllium husks are also recommended to add structure.
I've never heard of those before, but I'll look into them, since I wasn't able to find any xanthan gum in stores, so maybe these husks are more common. Is there something that would straightforwardly enhance the crust? I mean, I had it on top, but not on the other sides, and the top one was quite dry and hard. I have a thought about making the other sides a bit crustier - in retrospect, splendidly greasing an non-stick baking for does not make an awful lot of sense - but perhaps there is something in the ingredients/method as well?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Wal-Mart carries xathan gum now in little packets like yeast comes in. Or just order it off of Amazon.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thumposaurus posted:

Wal-Mart carries xathan gum now in little packets like yeast comes in. Or just order it off of Amazon.
I'm in Sweden, but I haven't looked online yet.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I think Coop sells xantham gum. I know they sell psyllium.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Made some challah:

Braiding is getting better, needs more practice though. Used
http://www.food.com/recipe/famous-challah-90765?photo=371641

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

If you like nice pictures of bread on instagram, this guy has a lot:

https://instagram.com/adullom/

Executive pastry chef for Ashley Christansen restaurants, a group of nice restaurants here in NC.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
My first ever artisan bread, a sourdough using the King Arthur recipe. It has rye and white flour, and a 7 day old starter, a bit of water and that's about it. I don't know the hydration perchance, but the dough was fairly moist. Smells fantastic, i want to cut into this sucker sooner rather than later, waiting to let it cool is going to be hard!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Does anyone else like their bread kind of chewy in the middle? I made a pan loaf today that I think I let steam for too long before removing the water, which made it come out softer than usual. But then I remembered I kinda like bread that's a little doughy on the inside, and the outside was nice and crisp, so I didn't care! I don't want to unwittingly commit some kind of great bread sacrilege, though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

Does anyone else like their bread kind of chewy in the middle? I made a pan loaf today that I think I let steam for too long before removing the water, which made it come out softer than usual. But then I remembered I kinda like bread that's a little doughy on the inside, and the outside was nice and crisp, so I didn't care! I don't want to unwittingly commit some kind of great bread sacrilege, though.

Sacrilege? You make it, so you have it how you like it. That's the right way as far as I'm concerned.

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

My awesome new bread book says you can keep a small bit of dough from the batch you're making to use in the next batch. I'm assuming I can keep it in the fridge and maybe take it out the night before I want to use it?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

artificial posted:

My awesome new bread book says you can keep a small bit of dough from the batch you're making to use in the next batch. I'm assuming I can keep it in the fridge and maybe take it out the night before I want to use it?

I'd assume that too.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

artificial posted:

are we expecting a yeast shortage?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
the remaindered dough serves as an alternative to a sponge when starting a new loaf; it adds a more developed flavor

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Cymbal Monkey posted:

are we expecting a yeast shortage?

Your momma ain't. In fact, you could say she has a surfeit. :haw:

therattle fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 29, 2015

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I've made the King Arthur Flour Hearth Bread recipe 3 times now and each time my bread comes out like a brick. After my 2nd loaf I watched some videos of how to actually knead bread dough and how to do the window test. For my 3rd loaf I kneaded the dough for close to 20 minutes, maybe more, and barely got a decent window test.

So what gives? Could it be my flour potentially? I'm using regular AP flour.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Other possibilities could be the dough is too dry or it's not rising enough. I'm a lazy so my dough doesn't really pass the "windowpane" test but it still comes out non-bricklike.

I'd say try starting it with less flour (maybe 5 cups) and only add more in when it sticks while kneading. Regular AP flour can definitely work in bread. Is it like Gold Medal flour or King Arthur's stuff?

Also it says to use warm water but I'd suggest just using barely lukewarm water. You can kill yeast with heat, but it will probably be ok to start them a little colder than suggested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Yesterday's crumb shot, white no-knead: